Do you wear shorts in January at WDW??

We go in late Jan a lot (not this year, though :sad:) and I've only worn shorts a couple of days. I tend toward capris and jeans because the mornings and evenings are chilly. I'd rather be a little warmer than a little colder!

My dh will wear shorts, a t-shirt, and a sweatshirt on many Jan days, but he's usually complaining about cold legs in the mornings! :rolleyes:

Living in the area I wear shorts every day unless it's just too cold. That's usually just for a few days now and then, but sometimes it can be for a week or two. Unlike summer when you can count on shorts every day, winter is a crapshoot here. 70-75 degrees is usually pleasant enough for shorts, especially if you are spending time in the sun, which you do in the parks. Evenings usually cool off quite a bit, so you may want to go back to your room to change and grab a sweater or jacket.

Im also trying to figure out what the heck to pack for next week( we leave this Saturday:yay:). I've been in January before, but that doesn't mean anything, because the weather is so unpredictable. I'm definitely packing shorts! Also packing hoodies, and the stretchy gloves. I think you have to layer, and then take off a layer as the day gets hotter, and then you can put them back on if you are still in the park at night. That's my plan at least!

I completely agree with this poster. We're going down on Tuesday and packing for all kinds of weather from shorts/ swimsuits to jackets/ gloves. We've been down in January and needed the full range!

We recently moved from Pennsylvania to Florida - only an hour and fifteen minutes from Disney!! :woohoo: The weather has been BEAUTIFUL in the day and gets chilly at night. I had ice on my windshield this morning when I took our daughter to school. It was about 65 this afternoon.

Last weekend, we went to Daytona Beach. It was about 55 degrees. Our daughter was in shorts, my husband was in shorts, I wore capris and our son wore jeans with a T-shirt and long-sleeved T-shirt over top. We all had sweaters with us just in case. There were people there with HEAVY winter coats, gloves, scarves, ear muffs. You name it. :confused3 :rotfl: We thought it was beautiful.

So, personally, I would wear shorts or capris, a short-sleeved shirt and take a sweater just in case. :upsidedow Have a great time!! :goodvibes

Michelle :flower3:

Here right now, we've worn shorts both yesterday and today. It's been in the 70s, tomorrow will be 76, and Saturday and Sunday in the low-80s. I would be dying if we were wearing anything more than shorts and t-shirts during the day!

However, I came in from Seattle where it's been like 20-30 every day, so that makes a difference. I've seen people in long sleeves and pants, but whatever floats your boat!

Evenings get chilly enough for a hoodie and shorts, or maybe jeans. We did EMH at HS and it was chilly on the boat back that I'd wished I had a hoodie. Otherwise, I'm probably rockin' shorts for this whole trip. :)

We were there at the beginning of the month and DH wore shorts/T during the day ...with a light sweater at night. Beautiful weather!

Because the mornings and evenings can be chilly - I would NOT want to break up my park day by getting different clothes. I prefer to wear clothes that are comfortable enough for the whole range of temps without changing. For me - that would be long pants, BUT a bit lightweight,
a regular T-Shirt, and a light sweater.
I would have to pay attention to the forecast low temp to see if my light sweater should be my zip-up sweatshirt, though. If it was cold enough for gloves I would just tuck my hands under the sleeves of the sweatshirt.

I'm a big baby and hate the cold weather (FL born and raised!). I don't wear shorts in January because it gets chilly at night!

I don't wear shorts ever, anywhere, but last week at WDW we had several days in the mid to upper 70s and the kids were happily wearing their shorts.

I was there last month, in the beginning of December. I wore shorts everyday. It was a little chilly in the morning, but that didn't last long and it wasn't all that uncomfortable anyway.

It was funny that I was strolling along with my shorts and t-shirt and the folks at the entrances were wearing parkas, winter hats and mittens. It kinda made me chuckle a little. :rotfl: I'm sure they were looking at me like I had three heads but even though it felt cool, in the morning, buy mid-day and even into the evening, I was very comfortable. The temps were in the high 70's most of the day.

Hey, Tampa resident here. I moved here from Wisconsin almost 10 years ago. This winter has been above average, and, well, it's been about as beautiful as you can imagine, in terms of weather. A cold front can change things drastically this time of year, so watch the forecast, but if you like wearing shorts in the summer in the north here, you will be just fine here. My husband wears shorts on weekends and my DD loves her summer dresses. I wore my "summer" clothes to AK last week, and I was actually hot for a couple hours.

It is cool in the evening, so prepare for that, but in general terms, definitely an above-average, glorious winter so far. Enjoy!

Florida "winters", (like SE Texas winters), are SOOOO unpredictable! We are having an extremely mild winter here too, and I'm thinking I've worn long pants twice this season, (including once while at WDW in December!
You probably wanna be prepared for anything though. it was in the TWENTIES on both of our previous Orlando trips though! :scared1:

We're leaving for the World on Monday; I packed shorts, tee shirts, and sundresses along with a couple sweatshirts and pairs of pants. We were there the same week last year and mostly wore shorts and short sleeved shirts with a sweatshirt in the evening. I'll carry pants and a sweatshirt to slip on at night.

January highs in Florida can mean highs of 80-85 or highs that don't get out of the 40's with lows in the 20's,so it might be shorts weather or it might be heavy coat weather,you don't know what you gonna get until 2-3 days before.Even if the highs get near 80 the night can still be a bit cool though.This winter so far has not been very cold,the last couple of years we did have pretty cold winters.

Absolutely pack the shorts! We wore shorts the entire week last year and it was 70s during the day, upper 50s at night. We didn't even bring fleeces to the park. It was a bit chilly standing in line for the bus at the resort but by the time we got to the park and go in and was fine. We always left by late afternoon but I don't remember ever changing out of my shorts, even at the resort at night. And we swam at night too! :banana:

Our bags are packed and ready to go - wearing jeans down and only packed capris and shorts. Woohoo!!!

I live in FL and get cold pretty easy so no, I don't wear shorts in January. I will wear Capri's but not shorts. The 75 degree weather you see on the weather outlook is for the few hours in the afternoon. It isn't for the early morning hours or after the sun goes down. Once that sun is in, it will get chilly. Those parks will be chilly at night for shorts.. I was there over the weekend and had to laugh at all of the out of State'ers who thought it was warm during the day and by night fall they were buying sweatshirts and snuggies to wrap themselves in. I even saw many who were in flip-flops purchasing big slippers to wear to keep their feet warm! :lmao: So just keep in mind, once that sun goes down, so do the temps.. it is still winter here.

We're leaving from NE FL tomorrow to Disney.... (SOO EXCITED no matter how "close" we are!!) Today I was outside in jeans, a very light cardigan and a tank top and was comfortable... but I could easily see how others not from FL could be hot. I personally will be taking jeans, rolling them up to capris, and then unfold them later in the evening if it gets chilly and we don't stop back at the room first for a shower and break for the rest of the evening. I know it gets warm during the day so I will be taking shorts but idk if I'll need them. :yay:

I live in FL and get cold pretty easy so no, I don't wear shorts in January. I will wear Capri's but not shorts. The 75 degree weather you see on the weather outlook is for the few hours in the afternoon. It isn't for the early morning hours or after the sun goes down. Once that sun is in, it will get chilly. Those parks will be chilly at night for shorts.. I was there over the weekend and had to laugh at all of the out of State'ers who thought it was warm during the day and by night fall they were buying sweatshirts and snuggies to wrap themselves in. I even saw many who were in flip-flops purchasing big slippers to wear to keep their feet warm! :lmao: So just keep in mind, once that sun goes down, so do the temps.. it is still winter here.

THIS!! cracks me up every time. So true!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter