Do you tip for QS food at the pool bar?

ColoradoMom12

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this belongs here or Disney Restaurants. Feel free to move it. We were at BWI last week and spent a lot of time at the pool. We went to the pool bar to get water and ice cream. When I paid, the server gave me a receipt with a place to add a tip. I didn't since we didn't purchase alcohol but have been wondering if I should have? We've gotten ice cream at other Disney resort pool bars in the past and have never, that I can recall, been given a receipt with the line for adding a tip. I was rather surprised by it this time. Am I supposed to tip the server when I buy ice cream at the pool bar? I think of buying food and non-alcohol drinks there the same as any other QS location. I obviously add a tip for TS and tip the bartender when I order an alcoholic drink at a bar, but am I supposed to tip at QS for food if it's the pool bar? Now I'm very confused!

Not sure if this belongs here or Disney Restaurants. Feel free to move it. We were at BWI last week and spent a lot of time at the pool. We went to the pool bar to get water and ice cream. When I paid, the server gave me a receipt with a place to add a tip. I didn't since we didn't purchase alcohol but have been wondering if I should have? We've gotten ice cream at other Disney resort pool bars in the past and have never, that I can recall, been given a receipt with the line for adding a tip. I was rather surprised by it this time. Am I supposed to tip the server when I buy ice cream at the pool bar? I think of buying food and non-alcohol drinks there the same as any other QS location. I obviously add a tip for TS and tip the bartender when I order an alcoholic drink at a bar, but am I supposed to tip at QS for food if it's the pool bar? Now I'm very confused!

They use the same POS system as when you order alcohol so it's going to have the tip line - I only tip for alcohol.

Thanks! I guess it's possible the receipt has always had the line for a tip and I've just ignored it in the past. I was surprised because I would only add a tip if I'd ordered alcohol there.

But think about this, you are having them get the item and bring it to you rather than you getting it yourself. They are still providing a service (especially all those time people who have them fill cups for water). It isn't necessary but leaving them a minimal tip at least once when you're at the pool shows your appreciation for their hard work :flower1:

But think about this, you are having them get the item and bring it to you rather than you getting it yourself. They are still providing a service (especially all those time people who have them fill cups for water). It isn't necessary but leaving them a minimal tip at least once when you're at the pool shows your appreciation for their hard work :flower1:
I get the impression from the post that OP went to the pool bar to get the water and ice cream. It was not ordered poolside and delivered poolside.

Yes, I went to the pool bar. I see how it's different if I'd ordered food that was delivered to me, but this seems the same to me as walking up to any QS counter. So I was unclear for the reason for a line to add a tip. It makes sense that they use the same POS system and have no way to distinguish between someone who walks up to buy a bottle of water from someone who sits at the pool bar and orders alcohol. That had not occurred to me.

I didn't want to start a debate about tipping. I was just confused. Now I'm not. :)

This is what I understood also but I guess I'm just thinking about the bartenders and how hard they work whether pouring a cocktail or getting someone an ice cream. :-)
Next time I'll order at least one beer at the pool bar during our stay and add a tip to that. :)

I usually just add a dollar. I figure it won't hurt and they have to do as much work as if I ordered beer or wine.

For me personally, even if I WALK to the pool bar, and order a non-alcoholic drink and ice cream, I'd leave a $1 tip. I don't think you'd have to, but I would.

My usual rule of thumb is if I'm happy with everything I tip 20% for table service, 10% for counter service.

I'm not asking this to go into a tipping habit war, I'm genuinely curious: do anyone know if the pool bar CMs are tipped positions?

When I order from a pool bar, I always tip 20% when I'm happy with everything. Most of the time I see them, waiters are idle, and I suppose most people do not order complex drinks or snacks to be served on tables or lounge chairs. I suppose it is only fair tipping slightly more for the convenience of the service. To compare, Disneyland Paris has great pools (for European climate) but no pool bars, which is so unfortunate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter