Do you tell people you are going

shoppingmom

Mouseketeer
to DL or do you keep it a secret? We personally try to keep it a secret from friends and family because we like to go on our own and do our own thing. This bothers family and friends but it is the only way we can go and have a good time!

We tried keeping our next trip a secret but a family member found out and decided to come along and then was bringing more people. The trip was getting way out of hand, we wanted a quiet special trip and in order to have what we wanted we had to put our foot down and say no more. Now members of the family aren't speaking to me but at least we will get the trip we wanted/planned.

We typically try to get more people to come with us! We always invite friends and family- but they are rarely able to come along. The last trip we didnt tell anyone- because it was a surprise for the kids. We couldnt trust anyone to keep it a secret, so we didnt tell.

We tell everyone. We practically scream it...

WE'RE GOING TO DISSSS NEEEEE LAAAAAAAND!

We get the usual, "Oh, that sounds like fun," but by reading their tone we can tell that they're thinking something along the lines of, "If you're spending all that money, go to Hawaii you idiots!" Or from others that really know us we get the typical, "Again?!!" :crazy2:

No one has ever even tried to invite themselves along. Heck, that would be a nice change of pace for us. But the truth is that our friends, neighbors, and family think we're crazy! And then when we started talking about possibly buying into DVC...oh man, I think they thought we were sniffin' around the paint thinner aisle too much. :crazy: :teeth:

We have a very large, very close family and lots of close friends. We do a lot together, we all get along great. However...we never tell anyone we're going to Disneyland. It's not that we don't like other people or are anti-social, it's just that we really value our vacation time together. I'm sure this will change in a few years as my two kids have just entered the teen years. When it's just the 4 of us we can be very flexible in our schedule, it's a little harder when there is a large group or another family involved.
I've always felt a little bad about this. Whenever we get back certain family and friends will always be disappointed that we didn't include them in our plans.

We usually tell everyone - we too have a close family that all live very close. We do get numerous mumblings of why we are not inviting them etc. - which is especially compounded because we always bring a friend with us. I know they resent our annual trips - but I am a compulsive planner - I have the layout of what shows we are going to when so we can maximize our time there, the day we are hitting toon town, etc. It is hard enough for us to keep the 5 of us happy, I am afraid too large of a group and it would ruin some of the fun, at least for us.

We usually tell our family...they aren't the type to 'attach' themselves to someone else's vacation so it's okay to do that. For those that have 'moocher-family members'...wow, I feel sorry for you! Seriously.

We've done the Magical Gatherings at WDW and it worked out great. Of course, there were clear 'line/boundaries' drawn when it was time for "family only time." It's important to set guidelines if you want to enjoy family time when on vacation, esp if you travel with people that tend to take the lead.

I have a strong personality and am not afraid to voice my opinion so that's probably why we've never had an issue. I do, however, have friends that tend to be 'pushovers' and always have issues with this sort of thing. One has to stand up and be heard if they want things to go as they planned. JMO.

Dis Ohana said:
I've always felt a little bad about this. Whenever we get back certain family and friends will always be disappointed that we didn't include them in our plans.

Don't feel bad. Your children grow up way too fast and a family needs as much family time as possible, esp in today's hectic, fast-paced world of soccer, football, clubs, etc.

Many families in today's world don't even eat dinner together. (we still do but it's hard at times!)

Families should be protective of their vacations! Before you know it, your kids will be graduating high school and off to college. The memories you create with them now are what they will remember and what you will hold onto when they leave home.

shoppingmom said:
to DL or do you keep it a secret? We personally try to keep it a secret from friends and family because we like to go on our own and do our own thing. This bothers family and friends but it is the only way we can go and have a good time!

LOL!! I truly thought DH & I were the only ones that felt this way. We never tell anyone that might even THINK of inviting themselves along. We want it to be just us. With that said, we did go on vacation to DL once with DH's brother and another couple and it was a horrible time. The other couple fought (which they did at home too so we should have known better). She ended up purposely separating from the group (in a very pouty manner) and we then had to spend our precious time trying to find her. ....

My family & boyfriend don't even ask where I am anymore. They know Disneyland is my second home! :teeth:

My boyfriend just says: "You're at Disneyland AGAIN?? Hmm...could you bring me back a turkey leg?" :rotfl:

I do tell people, but only after I have made reservations and set our plans, so by then they usually can't invite themselves. I have some friends/family that want to go, but I prefer it is just dd 6 and myself. The only drawback is another trip where I can't ride space mt. Oh well, the joys of being a single parent. :rotfl: :cheer2:

We live in AZ and all our family lives in CA. We tried to keep it to ourselves once, and feelings got hurt. We now let them all in on our plans but if we want some family time at Disney to ourselves, we say to them that we'll be at Disney on such and such day and "would you like to come down and meet us at the beach the day before" or "how about we come by on Thursday after we check out of our hotel?". It seems to be a nicer way to get our point across that we need a little alone time. ;)

wow, I was so happy I'm not the only one keeping it a secret. My brother in law keeps hinting to see if we are going soon so he and his kids can come so I can watch them when he goes on the rides.
Last time we went we told them and then they all came. I just don't like to have to wait around for them all the time and plan meeting spots etc. I know I sound terrible. I just want it to be my husband, kids and me.

We're never in danger of people wanting to tag along. I think it's weird that people would choose to come with, it's MY trip! They can have their own.

Maybe it's that I live in a state other than CA? Or maybe my family & friends just don't like me? I'm okay with that. :teeth:

I like to keep my trips small. Just my Mom and myself, or my daughter and myself...I see these trips as bonding experiences and you can't do that with a crowd. I avoid telling people who I know would want to go to...everyone else has to hear me ad nauseum :rolleyes:

mundaremom said:
We tried keeping our next trip a secret but a family member found out and decided to come along and then was bringing more people. The trip was getting way out of hand, we wanted a quiet special trip and in order to have what we wanted we had to put our foot down and say no more. Now members of the family aren't speaking to me but at least we will get the trip we wanted/planned.

I'm sure they never told/invited you to any of their hoildays? :rolleyes:
Years ago(about 10) we took a friend of our sons,our dime,since then his sis and mom have been wanting to go. WELL,she mentioned (the mom) that she was taking her dd to DL. I suggested she ride with me since I was meeting my family in Anaheim.Boy,did catch hell. They had a great time,but were going on a shoestring. My wife says I planned the whole thing(I did'nt),But that will teach me to keep my mouth shut.

Thank you everyone! I am glad to see we are not the only one's who like to vacation on their own. I hope the family members who have tried to invite themselves on our vacations read these posts and maybe just maybe they will start to understand our feelings.

We always tell everyone and we invite everyone. But no one ever has money to go with us. It sux. But this time we are going and NO ONE knows except all of you reading this. And the reason is my parents are taking DS for the week of Oct. 7 - Oct. 14. We (me, DH, and DS) just got back in June from a 14 day trip to WDW. SO my parents asked us to go but we said we couldn't afford it right now. Our DS seemed really disappointed but he's happy he's going. Everyday he's counting down full of excitement and then he'll say I wish you and daddy could come, maybe next time. And if he only knew.....I've planned my own little year of a million dreams hahahaha. We will be showing up unexpectidly on Oct. 8 - 10. The thing is, I planned all their dining ressies, so They have no idea I changed theirs from party of 3 to a party of 5 for breakfast. The looks on their faces will be priceless. Especially since my mom kept bragging to everyone how she was gonna ride the updated Pirates of the caribbean before me. The plan is to ride the ride first then meet them for the breakfast ressie. HAHAHA I will beat her to the punch!

Well I have been keeping it low key, cause the bottom line is, everyone loves getting away, and I dont like having people feeling upset casue they arnt going, or they are feeling left out, so I find its best not to tell too many people.

I kept it quiet at work until my boss put the employee schedual up at work in the lunch room and where my name is she wrote the words "DISNEYLAND" across the board and posted sparkley mickey stickers on each day I will be away.

I then had people questioning me. :confused3 :rotfl: :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter