Dme....luggage only.....don't want to ride the bus!!!!!

As far as the value resorts go, I have stayed at AoA, Pop, and AS Music. Every single time, the person bringing my bag to my room is a CM in appropriate resort garb. As are the CMs in the luggage holding area. Not one of them has anything about BAGS on their person. If those people are in WDW 'costume' then I assume they are WDW CMs. Bell Services may be outsourced....it's very possible.

A few years back I stayed at ASMusic for one night when I had a very late flight come in. The next day I transferred to POR. I had bell services transfer my luggage. Something went wrong somewhere and it took hours for them to find my luggage once I checked into POR. It was past midnight and I'd handed over my bags by 7am that morning. Bell Services at POR was extremely apologetic (in fact, they were more freaked out about my missing luggage than I was) and I was told several times that Bell Services at the value resorts was run by a different company. There are a lot of outsourced folks that you think are actually Disney CMs that aren't. The caricature folks immediately come to mind, but I know there are others.

Yet on another board here, a poster was contacted by a CM and told, in conversation, that Disney doesn't hire third parties and he doesn't know why that rumor exists.

I don't believe only Luggage Assistance is contracted out; it's either all or none. But I can "beat" the above poster's experience. I once moved from Pop Century to... Pop Century - and it took my luggage over twelve hours to get from one room to the other.

Yet on another board here, a poster was contacted by a CM and told, in conversation, that Disney doesn't hire third parties and he doesn't know why that rumor exists.

I don't believe only Luggage Assistance is contracted out; it's either all or none. But I can "beat" the above poster's experience. I once moved from Pop Century to... Pop Century - and it took my luggage over twelve hours to get from one room to the other.

LOL Well, it was the guide for the Keys to the Kingdom tour that happened to mention the caricature folks as being contracted by an outside company. And one of the folks from Bell Services at POR who called to apologize (again) and mentioned the outsourcing was the supervisor who was on duty.

Oh, and it's pretty common knowledge that the Valet Parking folks are not Disney CMs, but outsourced, as well.

I don't know, in that other post it sounded like that person was hearing what they wanted to be told.

Going back all the way to first press release for Disney's Magical Express in 2005, Disney announced it was "partnering" with Mears Transportation, BAGS Inc., and other entities.

Mears had the maintenance facilities, licensing, and experience to operate the motor coaches. The relationship was successful for Disney Cruise Line motor coach transportation, so it was expanded.

BAGS Inc. was already offering at remote check-in and baggage services for convention centers and hotels. It had the relationships with airlines and the tie-ins to airline computer systems. Again, it was natural for Disney to turn to this provider.

There is nothing wrong with outsourcing, concessions, lessees, contractors, or any other arrangement in which somebody wearing a Disney name tag is not paid directly by Disney -- as long as it's transparent to guests and the standards are just as high.

Disney guests should never hear the excuse, "Those people don't really work for Disney, so Disney is not responsible."

Of course Disney is responsible!

Ok, a few thoughts here. When a guest registers for DME, they are told that their bags will appear, magically, in their rooms. No tipping is required. There is absolutely no possible way to tip someone who puts your luggage into a truck at MCO and then unloads it at the resort. There is no way to tip someone who brings your luggage to your room, magically, if you aren't there. Disney tells us we don't need to be in our rooms to receive luggage that DME/BAGS (whoever!) handled. BUT...if you arrive, in a car or car service, and have your bags with you, and your room isn't ready, then Bell Services/Luggage Assistance, isn't going to deliver those bags to your room later unless you are there to accept them....and hand over a tip!
I'm not sure how you expect a luggage handler, at MCO, to get a tip from a guest. Or even the person who unloads the luggage from that white truck.

The people who pull the bags and drive the trucks make a lot more than the ones who deliver the luggage at the resorts. By the way, at Art and Pop, they will deliver all luggage regardless of how it got to the resort whether the guest is in the room or not.

As far as the value resorts go, I have stayed at AoA, Pop, and AS Music. Every single time, the person bringing my bag to my room is a CM in appropriate resort garb. As are the CMs in the luggage holding area. Not one of them has anything about BAGS on their person. If those people are in WDW 'costume' then I assume they are WDW CMs. Bell Services may be outsourced....it's very possible. I also know that I tip very well for luggage delivery to my room, when someone from Bell Services/Luggage Assistance brings it to me, unless it is included in DME. Then, as Disney has told us, no gratuity is expected.

There is nothing on the costume to make you think they are anything other than Disney CM's. Even the name tag is Disney issued. Where is it written that you shouldn't tip? I have been reading this on these boards for years, but no one has ever posted a link to an official Disney site stating this.

A few years back I stayed at ASMusic for one night when I had a very late flight come in. The next day I transferred to POR. I had bell services transfer my luggage. Something went wrong somewhere and it took hours for them to find my luggage once I checked into POR. It was past midnight and I'd handed over my bags by 7am that morning. Bell Services at POR was extremely apologetic (in fact, they were more freaked out about my missing luggage than I was) and I was told several times that Bell Services at the value resorts was run by a different company. There are a lot of outsourced folks that you think are actually Disney CMs that aren't. The caricature folks immediately come to mind, but I know there are others.

Several of the countries in Epcot use outsourced staff. All of the people who do polls in the parks are as well. (My nephew picks up P/T cash with one of them when it fits with his college breaks.)

There is nothing on the costume to make you think they are anything other than Disney CM's. Even the name tag is Disney issued. Where is it written that you shouldn't tip? I have been reading this on these boards for years, but no one has ever posted a link to an official Disney site stating this.

Here's the official pitch from Disney: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/magical-express/

The top of the page features this pitch:

Disney's Magical Express
Start and end your stay with complimentary motorcoach transportation for you and your luggage to and from select Walt Disney World Resort hotels.​

Yes, is says, "complimentary motorcoach transportation for you and your luggage."

The page goes on to say this about the DME luggage service:

Be Magically Whisked Away
Board a motorcoach at Orlando International Airport and we’ll get you and your bags to your Disney Resort hotel.

When you reserve Disney’s Magical Express, you can begin your vacation the moment you step off the plane. Bypass baggage claim and avoid the inconvenience and cost of driving or finding ground transportation. With this special benefit of staying at select Disney Resort hotels, get from the airport to your accommodations in comfort and have your bags delivered directly to your room. You’ll also enjoy a complimentary ride back to Orlando International Airport on the day you check out of your Disney Resort hotel. Please note that pets are not permitted on Disney’s Magical Express but service animals are.

Luggage Delivery Service
This feature of Disney’s Magical Express is available for flights arriving between 5:00 AM and 10:00 PM daily. Your luggage will travel separately, and it may take up to 3 hours after you arrive at your Disney Resort hotel for your luggage to be delivered to your room. Please pack any valuables, medications or anything you need immediately upon your arrival in Orlando in a carry-on bag—and have your MagicBand with you and easily accessible at the airport and when you arrive at your Disney Resort hotel. You do not need to be in your room to receive your luggage.

If your flight arrives before 5:00 AM or after 10:00 PM, please collect your luggage at baggage claim to bring with you on the motorcoach. Please note: Disney’s Magical Express service does not provide luggage-only transfer. You must be present on the motorcoach to have your luggage transported to a Disney Resort hotel.​

The key line is, "You do not need to be in your room to receive your luggage."

Essentially, Disney is saying your bags will be in your room as a benefit of staying at a Disney resort and using Disney's complimentary end-to-end transportation and luggage service.

Disney's pitch does not say anything about tipping, one way or the other.

I'm well aware that "complimentary" does not equate to "no tipping." For example, if a restaurant has complimentary valet parking, it's still customary to tip when the car is returned to you. In that case, you have personal service and direct interaction with the person returning the car to you.

However, the way DME is structured and presented, with guests typically never seeing the person who delivers their bags, it is not surprising that most guests do not tip for luggage delivery and do not consider that tipping is even possible.

As a person that use to be a bellman in college, I can tell you what it is like from that side. The people actually delivering the baggage to your room are the bellman (or whatever they want to call them.)

We always had duties that took us away from our best tip generation duties. At my hotel they paid us minimum plus you got to keep your tips. I don't know if Disney does that or not, but the law says they have to make at least minimum whether it comes from a salary below minimum and they factor in the tips or the way they did it at my hotel I don't know what Disney does.

They understand that most of the time someone won't be in the room when they deliver the luggage, but if someone is in the room they will expect a tip. They will probably ask things like if you have questions about the room and try to delay leaving if you are there hoping you will tip, but since it is Disney they probably won't come out and ask for it.

I personally hated doing any non-tip generating duties so I tried to get them out of the way as quickly as possible. The worse one I had was when I had to drive the "limo" (a town car or a van) to the airport to pick up someone. They never told anyone that the hotel was at least 30 minutes from the airport so 90% of the time by the time I got to the airport the person was already gone. So that was an hour away from the hotel, not getting any money other then base salary.

As a former bellman, it is a good idea to tip them if you are there, around a $1 a bag.

Here's the thing. Disney tells me that my bags will be in my room, even if I'm not, if I tag them with the nice yellow DME tags. And that is what happens. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone, on these boards, using this service, and later heading to Bell Services to hand over a tip. If I'm in my room when my bags are delivered, I tip. Here's an interesting experience. I was at Pop. I arrived at the resort by 11am. My bags finally got to the room around 5:15-5:30! Yes, they were tagged with the yellow tags. Who knows where they had been. We landed at 9:45. Ok. So, after a few calls to Luggage Assistance, with various excuses given, our bags arrived. My daughter grabbed some cash, to tip with. I said nothing, wanting to see what happened. The CM thanked her and told her that no gratuity was expected. He turned and left. So, at least one CM didn't take a tip for delivering DME bags.

And yes, I will continue to call it DME. You have to reserve a ride on the DME bus in order to get the luggage delivery service. Sure, BAGS runs the luggage delivery part, but in all reality? Mears runs the buses.....no Disney CMs there....all Mears people. So, I would rather combine it all under DME. Disney does, so will I. I realize that BAGs runs RAC, but calling it anything other than RAC is just confusing to many people.

If, and that's a really big if, Disney expected Bell Services/Luggage Assistance CMs to be tipped for every bag delivered to a room, they would make it mandatory that guests be in their room in order to get their bags delivered. But.....they don't. When bags are brought to the resort via DME luggage delivery perk, they go to the resort room...no one is required to be there. No tip should be expected.

As to whether or not a CM is a true WDW CM? Of a person is wearing an official WDW 'uniform', with an official name tag, then they are a WDW CM, at least as far as I'm concerned. They are representing Disney. When I'm interacting with them, I am, basically, interacting with Disney...not with BAGs, RAC, Mears or some other entity. If I have an issue with a CM, I am speaking to Disney about it.....not the company that has contracted with Disney.

Through the magic of Google, I took a look at some DME threads from 2005 here on DISboards.

From before DME began, Tyler (a Disney CM and Transportation Board Moderator at the time) wrote that Bell Services would be "pre-tipped" for delivering inbound bags.

This thread in 2005 discussed DME tipping -- how the inbound bell services is pre-tipped, what other positions are not:

Tipping the ME driver if he is handling your bags: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=815628

When Disney published its official Disney's Magical Express FAQ (for meeting attendees) in 2005, it had this:

Q: Are Bell Service gratuities included for luggage delivery to my Resort room?

A: Yes, but for the inbound service only. Gratuities are not included if you elect to use Bell Services for luggage assistance when departing.

That was all back in 2005. Perhaps things have changed. As far as I know, Disney no longer has an official FAQ stating that inbound Bell Service gratuities are included for DME luggage.

But Disney never announced a change. And Disney still tells guest that they do not need to be their rooms for delivery to happen.

Things haven't changed. The Disney-paid tip is a fixed amount no matter how many bags a party has. I've seen the amount before, but can't recall the source so won't post it without back-up.

Here's the official pitch from Disney: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/magical-express/

The top of the page features this pitch:

Disney's Magical Express
Start and end your stay with complimentary motorcoach transportation for you and your luggage to and from select Walt Disney World Resort hotels.​

Yes, is says, "complimentary motorcoach transportation for you and your luggage."

The page goes on to say this about the DME luggage service:

Be Magically Whisked Away
Board a motorcoach at Orlando International Airport and we’ll get you and your bags to your Disney Resort hotel.

When you reserve Disney’s Magical Express, you can begin your vacation the moment you step off the plane. Bypass baggage claim and avoid the inconvenience and cost of driving or finding ground transportation. With this special benefit of staying at select Disney Resort hotels, get from the airport to your accommodations in comfort and have your bags delivered directly to your room. You’ll also enjoy a complimentary ride back to Orlando International Airport on the day you check out of your Disney Resort hotel. Please note that pets are not permitted on Disney’s Magical Express but service animals are.

Luggage Delivery Service
This feature of Disney’s Magical Express is available for flights arriving between 5:00 AM and 10:00 PM daily. Your luggage will travel separately, and it may take up to 3 hours after you arrive at your Disney Resort hotel for your luggage to be delivered to your room. Please pack any valuables, medications or anything you need immediately upon your arrival in Orlando in a carry-on bag—and have your MagicBand with you and easily accessible at the airport and when you arrive at your Disney Resort hotel. You do not need to be in your room to receive your luggage.

If your flight arrives before 5:00 AM or after 10:00 PM, please collect your luggage at baggage claim to bring with you on the motorcoach. Please note: Disney’s Magical Express service does not provide luggage-only transfer. You must be present on the motorcoach to have your luggage transported to a Disney Resort hotel.​

The key line is, "You do not need to be in your room to receive your luggage."

Essentially, Disney is saying your bags will be in your room as a benefit of staying at a Disney resort and using Disney's complimentary end-to-end transportation and luggage service.

Disney's pitch does not say anything about tipping, one way or the other.

I'm well aware that "complimentary" does not equate to "no tipping." For example, if a restaurant has complimentary valet parking, it's still customary to tip when the car is returned to you. In that case, you have personal service and direct interaction with the person returning the car to you.

However, the way DME is structured and presented, with guests typically never seeing the person who delivers their bags, it is not surprising that most guests do not tip for luggage delivery and do not consider that tipping is even possible.

You can make assumptions all you want, but there is nothing that Disney has ever said to indicate that a tip isn't appropriate for bell services or luggage assistance. There is also nothing that says that there is a gratuity automatically paid to these employees as many have insisted.

By the way, according to my nephew, about half of incoming guests and over 90% of outgoing guests see the person delivering their luggage. He says it's usually the people who only have a bag or two who are the best tippers. Last week he and another guy delivered two full luggage carts full of suitcases, groceries, and owners lockers bins (over 25 pieces total) to one suite and the people were in the room and didn't offer them a thank you let alone a dime.

Here's the thing. Disney tells me that my bags will be in my room, even if I'm not, if I tag them with the nice yellow DME tags. And that is what happens. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone, on these boards, using this service, and later heading to Bell Services to hand over a tip. If I'm in my room when my bags are delivered, I tip. Here's an interesting experience. I was at Pop. I arrived at the resort by 11am. My bags finally got to the room around 5:15-5:30! Yes, they were tagged with the yellow tags. Who knows where they had been. We landed at 9:45. Ok. So, after a few calls to Luggage Assistance, with various excuses given, our bags arrived. My daughter grabbed some cash, to tip with. I said nothing, wanting to see what happened. The CM thanked her and told her that no gratuity was expected. He turned and left. So, at least one CM didn't take a tip for delivering DME bags.

And yes, I will continue to call it DME. You have to reserve a ride on the DME bus in order to get the luggage delivery service. Sure, BAGS runs the luggage delivery part, but in all reality? Mears runs the buses.....no Disney CMs there....all Mears people. So, I would rather combine it all under DME. Disney does, so will I. I realize that BAGs runs RAC, but calling it anything other than RAC is just confusing to many people.

If, and that's a really big if, Disney expected Bell Services/Luggage Assistance CMs to be tipped for every bag delivered to a room, they would make it mandatory that guests be in their room in order to get their bags delivered. But.....they don't. When bags are brought to the resort via DME luggage delivery perk, they go to the resort room...no one is required to be there. No tip should be expected.

As to whether or not a CM is a true WDW CM? Of a person is wearing an official WDW 'uniform', with an official name tag, then they are a WDW CM, at least as far as I'm concerned. They are representing Disney. When I'm interacting with them, I am, basically, interacting with Disney...not with BAGs, RAC, Mears or some other entity. If I have an issue with a CM, I am speaking to Disney about it.....not the company that has contracted with Disney.

My nephew turned down a tip the other night after the guy pulled it out of his underwear. :eek:

Things haven't changed. The Disney-paid tip is a fixed amount no matter how many bags a party has. I've seen the amount before, but can't recall the source so won't post it without back-up.

There is NO Disney paid tip. Period. Please stop spreading this unfounded and untrue rumor.

You can make assumptions all you want, but there is nothing that Disney has ever said to indicate that a tip isn't appropriate for bell services or luggage assistance. There is also nothing that says that there is a gratuity automatically paid to these employees as many have insisted.
You are mistaken. As I wrote in post #371 of this thread, Disney's official Magical Express FAQ (for meeting attendees) had this as far back as 2005, when DME was first launched:

A: Yes, but for the inbound service only. Gratuities are not included if you elect to use Bell Services for luggage assistance when departing.

The phrase "Bell Service gratuities included" (for inbound DME) was shared with travel agents and guests.

I'm not saying that Disney pays the same $1 to $2 per bag that a guest would typically tip. But Disney was either compensating its Bell Services cast members when they delivered bags, or Disney was lying to its guests.

By the way, according to my nephew, about half of incoming guests and over 90% of outgoing guests see the person delivering their luggage. He says it's usually the people who only have a bag or two who are the best tippers. Last week he and another guy delivered two full luggage carts full of suitcases, groceries, and owners lockers bins (over 25 pieces total) to one suite and the people were in the room and didn't offer them a thank you let alone a dime.
You need to differentiate between inbound DME luggage deliveries and traditional bell services.

The cart with more than 25 pieces (including grocery bags and Owner's Locker bins) was clearly not an inbound DME luggage delivery. Shame on those guests for not tipping, but you're describing an entirely different situation.

Nobody on this thread has said that Bell Services should not be tipped when guests arrive by car, taxi, car service, or limo -- or if guests seek assistance beyond DME's basic inbound service.

Until Disney publishes tipping guidelines suggesting a tip for inbound DME luggage service and provides a mechanism to convey the tip money to the right person even when guests are not in their room, I will not feel guilty when my wife and I return to our room after a day at a park to find two yellow-tagged suitcases waiting for us.

You are mistaken. As I wrote in post #371 of this thread, Disney's official Magical Express FAQ (for meeting attendees) had this as far back as 2005, when DME was first launched:

The phrase "Bell Service gratuities included" (for inbound DME) was shared with travel agents and guests.

I'm not saying that Disney pays the same $1 to $2 per bag that a guest would typically tip. But Disney was either compensating its Bell Services cast members when they delivered bags, or Disney was lying to its guests.

You are talking about literature from nine years ago. Things change.

You need to differentiate between inbound DME luggage deliveries and traditional bell services.

The cart with more than 25 pieces (including grocery bags and Owner's Locker bins) was clearly not an inbound DME luggage delivery. Shame on those guests for not tipping, but you're describing an entirely different situation.

It was DME. DME, Owners Locker, and Garden Grocer, all delivered at the same time.

Nobody on this thread has said that Bell Services should not be tipped when guests arrive by car, taxi, car service, or limo -- or if guests seek assistance beyond DME's basic inbound service.

Until Disney publishes tipping guidelines suggesting a tip for inbound DME luggage service and provides a mechanism to convey the tip money to the right person even when guests are not in their room, I will not feel guilty when my wife and I return to our room after a day at a park to find two yellow-tagged suitcases waiting for us.

He made exactly $12 Thursday and ran his butt off. He was working an evening shift and all but two rooms were occupied when he delivered the bags. Over half the rooms tipped nothing. Some Brazilians gave him a handful of quarters (at least they tried) and a Canadian guy gave him a Loonie. What is he supposed to do with that? The bank will charge more to exchange then what it's worth, not to mention a dollar for six bags?

He works to pay for college, and every dollar counts.

You are talking about literature from nine years ago. Things change.

Then your beef should be with Disney. Fact is you are the only poster to ever state that the person who delivers the DME handled bags to the room should be tipped. The only one.

There is NO Disney paid tip. Period. Please stop spreading this unfounded and untrue rumor.
One of the perks of using Magical Express is the automatic luggage delivery. Only DME guests don't need to be in the room to have their luggage delivered. Everyone else whose luggage is held at Bell Services does need to be in the room. When not using DME, I've even tried to go to Bell Services with the tip in hand. Nope. I had to go back to my room and wait there.

If Disney, or the contractor for which the luggage personnel work, chooses to not pay or forward the prepaid tips to the CMs, as someone else said their issue is with the entity issuing their paychecks. Nobody said tipping isn't appropriate; we're saying DME users have been advised inbound tipping is provided by Disney. Nothing else about DME has changed in ten years. Why would this one thing?

At any rate, I've now written to Disney. We'll see.

Then your beef should be with Disney. Fact is you are the only poster to ever state that the person who delivers the DME handled bags to the room should be tipped. The only one.
Yup. There's nothing wrong with offering a tip to Bell Services/Luggage Assistance if you're in the room. But Disney wants us DME users out of the room spending money :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter