DLHotel or Paradise?

MemoryMakers2669

<font color=green>Would rather have a sippy tag th
Which of these two would you pick and why? I am sure this gets asked a lot here, but I couldn't find a thread.

DH is going to Anaheim for a conference in Feb. and all three of the Disney hotels are on the list. Great rates too. $199 for Grand Californian and $165 for the other two. The GC is booked though, we are on a waitlist for it. So, I booked the DLH since the reviews on tripadvisor were better.

But what do you all think?

OH, and is there a monorail there? If so, where does it go to? Are there shuttles to and from the parks?

We have only stayed at Paradise Pier and honestly we love it. Our kids are 11/6 and for us PP is a quiet place to stay. The room we had was spacious and well laid out. The room was not overly Disney decorated but that was fine with us.

honestly, I havent been to Disneyland YET ever, so I cant place an honest opinion. But I have been intently watching this board, and there are more reviews for PP then DLH. Honestly if I were to book another trip to DL where I could afford to stay at one of the 3 best hotels, I would be booking PP

We stayed at PP last fall. Its a nice hotel, but given the choice, I would pick the DLH. Its slightly closer and has a bit more disney theme to it- and the pools are nicer!

The monorail runs to down town disney, not to the hotel. Its just a couple minute walk from the monorail station to the hotel. The station is actually in the same spot its always been, and it used to run to the hotel. However, when they built DTD, they removed some of the hotel buildings and built DTD. So, now it doesnt go to the hotel even though the hotel and stop didnt move!

The monorail is currently not running because of the work on the nemo sub ride. I'm not sure when it will start running again. Could still be down in Feb. But, dont worry, its not a long walk to the enterance if its not running.

I have stayed at both (PP twice, DLH 6 times) and I would pick the DLH over PP, especially if the price is the same. PP is a bit of a further walk but thats not really what sways me. Its the overall theming. PP is a beach theme which is nice but I love the Disney theming of the DLH. PP's pool is a square, unexciting pool that does have a cool slide but is just really boring. The DLH has a Peter Pan themed pool with more seating and a bar/snack bar right there (PP's bar was not open for either of our stays). PP also has no grounds, the DLH has some really nice grounds with Koi ponds and waterfalls. They both have nice, large rooms. At PP each room has a couch that folds down into a daybed, the DLH has some daybed rooms and also will provide a free rollaway if you don't get a daybed room (or even if you do but prefer the rollaway). DLH has more dining options and is closer to DTD. I love PP but only stay there when I want to save money over the DLH. $35 per night or more savings over the DLH is my criteria for the PP.

Thanks for the comments. I think we will stick with DLH, while praying for the GC to open up for us!

I would choose the DLH. I always look at it this way, as far as quality goes: GCH, DLH, and then PP. PP is the cheapest of the 3 hotels (which isn't a bad thing when your looking to save money), it is further away, and does not have the theming that DLH has.

The monorail is in DTD, a real quick walk from the DLH. If it's up and running, it will take you right in to Tomorrowland. You can catch it back there and it will bring you back in to DTD. I would only take it if it's FULLY up and running, in to the park. It was only running one way, with one train, when we went in July and the lines were awful, it took forever to get in to the park. Walking was much fast.

There are no shuttles to and from the parks unfortunately. So either it's the monorail or it's walking down DTD. Which we usually like doing, it's a nice walk.

We just got back from four nights at the Paradise Pier Hotel. We had a 9th floor room and overlooked California Adventure. The room was large, had some Disney theming with the lamps and pictures in the room. Also the large sunburst mirror. We would stay there again. It was very convenient to both CA and DL and DTD.

We also stayed at Grand Californian last June for four nights. It was very nice and reminded us of the Wilderness Lodge at WDW. Again, it was very convenient to CA and DL and DTD - a bit closer than PPH.

Both places had character meals and fine dining. Both had real nice hotel stores with lots of souveniers.

My choice between the 3 is the DLH. However, with my small kids, we enjoy the atmosphire there a lot. Someday though I'm going to stay at the GC. I really haven't heard any negatives about PP though. We'd probably choose that option when it comes to price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter