DL without Magic Bands-how?

Juliet25

DIS Veteran
My family will be going to DL this summer (first time for most of us). We’re used to WDW and using old Magic Bands. I’d rather not buy Magic Bands (am I correct in thinking I can’t use WDW bands in DL), so what do we use in its place? We’ll have Genie+, so I’m wondering how we check-in for those without Magic Bands. I’ll have my phone to make those reservations, so can I use that as everyone’s ticket and G+?

You would use the Disneyland app for everything. Genie+ and your tickets will be on that. When you book a selection on Genie+, the scan in barcode will be there for each person. You just swipe through them at the Genie+ redemption stations. You just hold your phone under the beam. Pretty easy. You can use one account for everyone or share the account to allow multiple phones to use it. You just have to remember to keep track of who has used what Genie+ selection.

I believe the new MagicBand+ works at Disneyland. But we just used our phones. It was pretty easy except for the fact the scanner isn’t big enough to accommodate my fat wallet phone case. Once I removed the wallet component everything was smooth sailing.

You would use your ticket either on a phone or printed out.

If you have a newer "+" MagicBand you can use that. I believe you will need to unlink it from your MDE app and link it to the Disneyland app.

We go to DLR 2x/yr and just finished our first WDW trip and have never used Magicbands. We found it easier to use room keys and the phone at WDW. At DLR magicbands weren’t even a thing until very recently. Honestly, don’t understand the whole magicband thing. You still have to use your phone to choose rides in G+ so it’s not as if you get to ditch the phone.

I believe the new MagicBand+ works at Disneyland. But we just used our phones. It was pretty easy except for the fact the scanner isn’t big enough to accommodate my fat wallet phone case. Once I removed the wallet component everything was smooth sailing.

Yes, a MagicBand+ will work at DLR, even if it has been used at WDW previously (it does need to be linked to the Disneyland app though). Older style Magic Bands will not work at DLR at all.

We go to DLR 2x/yr and just finished our first WDW trip and have never used Magicbands. We found it easier to use room keys and the phone at WDW. At DLR magicbands weren’t even a thing until very recently. Honestly, don’t understand the whole magicband thing. You still have to use your phone to choose rides in G+ so it’s not as if you get to ditch the phone.

Overall, they definitely aren't necessary. However, we used them for the first time at WDW this year and it was really nice to not have to get out my phone at every DAS/G+ return and then have to scan through different barcodes for each person. Instead we each just held our wrist to the scanner.

Of course, because of DAS, we basically used the MB+ on every single ride we went on. If we only did G+ for a few rides a day, getting out my phone and going through the bar codes probably wouldn't be nearly as cumbersome.

I love using MB+. I do a fair amount of park hopping and it's worth the $30 to me for not having to get my phone out all of the time. I also love when the Photopass CMs just tap it to transfer my pics. BUT...I'm only scanning in myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter