DL vs WDW

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
DL PotC, no contest is much better than WDW.
The new Space Mountain is pretty darn cool. Much better than the old WDW version. ;)
The Buzz Lightyear ride is better at WDW than DL.
DCA ToT has good effects. But WDW is better, longer, loads faster, and has 4 elevators not 3.
DH likes RnRC at WDW more so than CA Screamin' at DCA.
DL's Toon Town is much better than Toon Town Faire, or whatever that glorified Meet n Greet area is called in WDW.
Turtle Talk with Crush is in a larger theatre in DL. But I like the WDW version better. (What -- No Dory or Whale!? :confused3 They add a lot.)
DL is a smaller park than MK. No doubt.
It was GREAT to visit and see items in the Disney Gallery. :thumbsup2
And Asimo was at the Innoventions. DL Innoventions is much better than CoP. Yeah, I know. Unpopular view, I am sure. Too bad there is so much standing in Innoventions. Otherwise it would be more popular.
MUCH lower humidity at DL than WDW. THAT was nice. :goodvibes
Traffic .... Bad. :sad2: I won't complain about I4 again. ;)
Blue Bayou.... mmmmmmmm But WDW has so many good restaurants to choose from.
And WDW has water parks, Cirque, Pleasure Island, Disney Quest, Richard Petty Driving Experience, golf, fishing, parasailing, boating, cruises, parties, NIGHTLY fireworks at MULTIPLE locations, and the list just goes on!
DL/DCA CMs wear fewer pin lanyards to trade from than WDW CMs. But have MUCH better pins.
DL is a blast. But stil can't compare to WDW.
:love: Home Sweet Home

Luv2Roam said:
DL PotC, no contest is much better than WDW.
The new Space Mountain is pretty darn cool. Much better than the old WDW version. ;)
The Buzz Lightyear ride is better at WDW than DL.
DCA ToT has good effects. But WDW is better, longer, loads faster, and has 4 elevators not 3.
DH likes RnRC at WDW more so than CA Screamin' at DCA.
DL's Toon Town is much better than Toon Town Faire, or whatever that glorified Meet n Greet area is called in WDW.
Turtle Talk with Crush is in a larger theatre in DL. But I like the WDW version better. (What -- No Dory or Whale!? :confused3 They add a lot.)
DL is a smaller park than MK. No doubt.
It was GREAT to visit and see items in the Disney Gallery. :thumbsup2
And Asimo was at the Innoventions. DL Innoventions is much better than CoP. Yeah, I know. Unpopular view, I am sure. Too bad there is so much standing in Innoventions. Otherwise it would be more popular.
MUCH lower humidity at DL than WDW. THAT was nice. :goodvibes
Traffic .... Bad. :sad2: I won't complain about I4 again. ;)
And WDW has water parks, Cirque, Pleasure Island, Disney Quest, Richard Petty Driving Experience, golf, fishing, parasailing, boating, cruises, parties, NIGHTLY fireworks at MULTIPLE locations, and the list just goes on!
DL/DCA CMs wear fewer pin lanyards to trade from than WDW CMs. But have MUCH better pins.
:stir:

Why must you "compare" in the first place. :rolleyes: If you have to compare at all, make it a little more fair - compare DL to MK, DCA to MGM, and DTD at DL to DTD and WDW. The rest is irrelevant for those of us who appreciate DL/DCA for it's more intimate experience.

I enjoy reading people's comparisons! Hope to someday be able to compare the two myself. Thanks! :)

Thanx for sharing your observations!
I agree with some of them, and disagree with others. I like Space at WDW much better than DL. It seems to be all corners and no drops at DL, where as WDW has many drops and corners.
I also find the queue for both Space and Pirates to be much better at WDW, but agree the Pirates attraction itself is better at DL.

Thanx again for sharing your thoughts! :smokin:

MG

Can't help but compare. I know WDW well, love Disney, and just visited DL/DCA. :confused3 I compare Universal to Disney parks too. Why not? :confused3
Oh -- I also like GRR over KRR. But both are good! :banana:

Luv2Roam said:
I guess this last part just rubbed me the wrong way.

To me, it'd be like comparing a Hawaiian island cruise to a World Tour cruise - "The Hawaiian island cruise was sure fun, but it didn't hold a candle to that World Cruise we took. There is just so much more to see and do when touring the world!"

There's no way that DL will ever have the variety of experiences/attractions that WDW has, so why state the obvious? When you listed all those other attractions/experiences that WDW has (ie: "And WDW has water parks, Cirque, Pleasure Island, Disney Quest, Richard Petty Driving Experience, golf, fishing.......) it just came across to me like you were bragging a little about how much better your home park is and always will be, which of course you have every right to do because you love it. But it still rubbed me the wrong way - I guess because you posted it on the DL boards, which is my home park that I love.

Still, I'm glad you had fun on your trip and I can't wait to go to WDW someday with my family - hopefully next year! :sunny:

I think people on the Disneyland side of disboards just get tired of WDW regulars coming home from Disneyland, admitting many of the rides at Disneyland are better but that in the end it loses to the much larger Florida version. Read the "I'll never go to Disneyland again" thread and you'll see just how tired we are all of this sort of thing and how ugly it can get. Yes, everyone compares, but I agree with the other poster, comparing something as huge to something relatively small (that is city locked and therefore has no chance of expanding for the most part) is unfair. The proverbial apples to oranges. Or watermelons to oranges perhaps. WDW was meant to exceed Disneyland in many ways, thats why they built it. But it will never have the charm, history and compactness that make Disneyland so special. You love your home park and you should. But when you come over to this board, you're dealing with people that have a home park they love. And they'll defend it to the end! Personally, I live between the two and consider myself lucky to have two home parks to visit and love. Kind of like my two kids, I love em both the same and celebrate their differences without any tally marks of comparison.

Luv2Roam said:
At both Epcot and DCA, TTwC shows are not static. I do not know why, but you do now always see Dory and/or the whale. When I saw TTwC at DCA, they did have Dory and the whale. So when they did not show up for you, you drew a false conclusion that DCA does not have that feature in the show. It does.

In all the times I've seen Turtle Talk and I've only seen it in DCA, only once has Dory and the Whale not shown up (and Dory did swim by as we were leaving the theater), so yes, the shows are not static.

Buzz, I think is much better at DL simply by virtue of being able to pick the guns up, never mind the fact that the targets are all different shapes and you can tell by shape which have the highest point value (triangles are the highest at 10,000, not including the "hidden" targets).

TOT at DCA actually has 6 elevators, with 3 shafts on 2 levels. And in my experience when it's running at full capacity, actually does load faster. On the other hand, I like WDW's ride just a bit better.

I agree that you cannot help but compare the two worlds but in my opinion they are completely different. At Disneyland, my wife and I met a nice little lady from Canada who was only visiting for one day. We asked her if she wanted to see everything and she was game. We managed to get her into all the big stuff in both parks and still have a nice dinner in Downtown Disney. Tell me who could do that in Florida. We have been twice and I think we have maybe experienced half of it not including all the resort hotels. At DL you can hit the parks in the morning, walk to your hotel, take a nap or sit by the pool and relax for an hour or so. You still can walk back and hit everything you want to in the afternoon evening, all within a short walk. DW is so big that taking a break will cost you several hours of travel and that eats away valuable park time. Oh and by the way, try and compare Aladden at CA to Beauty and the Beast at MGM. Both DL and DW are awsome but completely different animals to deal with with good and bad points. We enjoy the good at both.

I have been to Disneyland three times and I just returned from my first and only trip to WDW. It was a great trip however I've decided I like Disneyland better. It just feels more magical. WDW is too big and you spend too much time travelling to and from parks, it also takes way too much planning. The heat I could handle but the humidity was almost unbearable. IMO, Wishes, Fantasmic and the Electric Parade(Spectro in WDW) are better in DL.

I know I am not going to compare when I go to DL, I do know that I am going to enjoy a brand new experience that is going to be so different from my yearly trip to DW, I am excited about going, :santa:

It's pretty obvious WDW is much bigger than DL and just look at the amount of space devoted to WDW on the DISboards, but I agree with previous posters each park should be taken for its own value. I think for those of us who have been to WDW and are planning a trip to DL there is that desire to know what will be different and how it will compare. I personally feel it is just fair to compare DL to MK though. DCA sounds like MGM to me. My favourite park in WDW is MK, second is Epcot. So we will probably just do DL. Still excited about seeing the original park and espcially Pirates! I know it will be a great trip and are already gearing up to convince DH to spend two days at DL. He is not the Dis buff that the children and I are. One of the best posts I have read though was the thread by HydroGuy on the comparisons between the two parks. I showed that to DH to stress why we need to see DL even though we have been to WDW twice and will be going back again.
Still always enjoy reading the posts comparing the parks. It will also help me when deciding what to do at DL if the parks are busy and time is short.
Deb

Personally, I'm looking forward to my upcoming visit to Disneyland. WDW is my home and the park I will always go back to no matter what because I have forged so many wonderful memories there with my family over the years, however, I know that DL has a ton of great rides/shows, etc. to offer and I would like to experience them. Even when we visited Disneyland Paris we had a wonderful time. If we had compared it to WDW there is no way it would have come close, but we just saw it as an extension of the Disney experience and took it for what it's worth. And yes, if I go back to Paris, I will visit DLP again. I enjoyed it. I've always wanted to visit DL because it is the park that started it all. One thing all of us WDW fans have to remember is that we wouldn't have our love if it wasn't for DL.

I really don't think you can compare the two, like others have said, and I agree it's like comparing a trip to Hawaii and a trip around the world.

Of course it's all in opinion anyway. We've never been to WDW, and I would like to go someday. I'm in no real hurry though, because frankly I've watched and researched a lot and I'm not so sure I'd love WDW. It's TOO big IMO. I like having my favorite rides all right there, so that I don't have to travel to other parks just to ride them. I like that I can go on POTC, and it's just a hop over to the TOT for my DH to ride. I'm usually beat after a week of walking around DL, I can't imagine trying to do to 2 weeks at WDW and still not really probably seen everything. A lot of what I've seen at WDW isn't exactly "disney" to me either. Just as DCA isn't exactly Disney. Magic Kingdom would obviously be my favorite, and I'd probably find myself going to the other parks just to ride my favorites that at DL I could get all right there. Obviously I haven't been to WDW yet so I can't compare or say if I'd love it or not. But I know myself, and what I look for in a Disney vacation. We will go to WDW someday, but DL will always be my home park. For the reasons I listed above, and because it's Walt's Park, it's got history, magic and charm. It's also FULL of childhood memories for me that no WDW could replace. Not to mention DL is a quick half day drive for us to get there. It would take us DAYS to drive to WDW, and um I don't like flying! Not to mention Florida and it's heat and humidity? Oh no thanks! I live in a state that has nothing but dry heat, humidity is not something I like! LOL So it's okay if others compare it and say WDW is better to them. That's just their opinion, and we all have those! :)

I adore both parks....for all the reasons each of you have said!! :) I agree with most of the differences, but as you've all pointed out each park has it's benefits and drawbacks. I think they're both awesome!!!

Ok my number one fav. at WDW (MGM) is Rockin' Roller Coaster....super smooth fun ride

My number one DL fav...Because frankly, (come on, admit it), it is better at DL is Fantasmic! Ok, granted it's easier to get seats at WDW (sort of) but DL you're right up there by the action and the ship!!! Yahoo! Can't wait! This and Indy are reason enough to go to DL and love it! :)

Anyway, if you get the chance to do both, that is probably the best of both "worlds", but if not, there is plenty in each park to love! :cool1: :love: :cheer2:

disney-super-mom said:
The rest is irrelevant for those of us who appreciate DL/DCA for it's more intimate experience.
:thumbsup2 I couldn't have said it better myself. I'd like to add that nothing at WDW is comparable to The Matterhorn.

Yes, we're leaving today for WDW, but I'd so much rather be heading out to Cali than FL. :rolleyes:

calena said:
It's pretty obvious WDW is much bigger than DL and just look at the amount of space devoted to WDW on the DISboards
FYI this is not a fair comparison. DISBoards WDW is the biggest and best board for WDW IMO. However, DISBoards DLR (this forum) is not the biggest for DLR. Without getting specific, there are others for DLR of a similar scope and activity level as DISBoards WDW.

JenDisneylandlver said:
I really don't think you can compare the two, like others have said, and I agree it's like comparing a trip to Hawaii and a trip around the world.

Of course it's all in opinion anyway. We've never been to WDW, and I would like to go someday. I'm in no real hurry though, because frankly I've watched and researched a lot and I'm not so sure I'd love WDW. It's TOO big IMO. I like having my favorite rides all right there, so that I don't have to travel to other parks just to ride them. I like that I can go on POTC, and it's just a hop over to the TOT for my DH to ride. I'm usually beat after a week of walking around DL, I can't imagine trying to do to 2 weeks at WDW and still not really probably seen everything. A lot of what I've seen at WDW isn't exactly "disney" to me either. Just as DCA isn't exactly Disney. Magic Kingdom would obviously be my favorite, and I'd probably find myself going to the other parks just to ride my favorites that at DL I could get all right there. Obviously I haven't been to WDW yet so I can't compare or say if I'd love it or not. But I know myself, and what I look for in a Disney vacation. We will go to WDW someday, but DL will always be my home park. For the reasons I listed above, and because it's Walt's Park, it's got history, magic and charm. It's also FULL of childhood memories for me that no WDW could replace. Not to mention DL is a quick half day drive for us to get there. It would take us DAYS to drive to WDW, and um I don't like flying! Not to mention Florida and it's heat and humidity? Oh no thanks! I live in a state that has nothing but dry heat, humidity is not something I like! LOL So it's okay if others compare it and say WDW is better to them. That's just their opinion, and we all have those! :)
What have you seen at WDW that is not exactly Disney to you? :confused3
Just curious as to how you are missing the magic. WDW is a great park. You should give it a try sometime. I think you will be suprised as to how much "Disney magic" you'll see. :wizard:

grumpymakesmehappy said:
What have you seen at WDW that is not exactly Disney to you? :confused3
Just curious as to how you are missing the magic. WDW is a great park. You should give it a try sometime. I think you will be suprised as to how much "Disney magic" you'll see. :wizard:

I'm sure it's a great park, we do want to give it a try someday. My point was everyone will probably prefer one park over the other for whatever reason. That it's okay to have opinions. I see A LOT of people always saying that WDW is better, and I wanted to give my prospective as to why I think DL is better, to us anyway. It's all in opinions.

As for what's not exactly Disney? The Animal Kingdom, while cool, probably wouldn't be disney to me. Seeing stuff on countries around the world, not only would that not interest me, it's not what I'd be looking for in a Disney trip. Those are two that pop in to my mind at the moment. I watched a 2 hour show on WDW not too long ago, I think I'd mostly be interested in the Magic Kingdom the most. And from what I've seen I think I'd prefer DL to Magic Kingdom anyway. Some of my favorite rides like Pirates and Small World sound a lot better at DL. Also like I mentioned before a lot of the rides that are in DL in short walking distance, I'd have to go to other Kingdoms to get to at WDW. That's not saying I wouldn't enjoy seeing everything at WDW. To me DCA isn't exactly "disney" either. There are disney touches around the park, and we enjoy visiting there too. But it's not like DL and that's what I prefer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter