DJ for a Sweet Sixteen

Aurora D

Mouseketeer
I'm in the very early stages of planning a Sweet Sixteen party for my daughter. Anyone have experience with the cost for a DJ? We're not looking for a laser light show or anything, just someone to play the music and move the party along. It will be at a restaurant, four hours long. Also, we live in NJ.

Dj we used a while back brought dancers, lights, give aways and was $$$ so that won't help in a comparison...but I'm thinking for 4 hours, one guy spinning with nothing else under/at $500. (There are variables like a Sunday at 2 versus a fri night party...)
Perhaps word of mouth can get u someone that's rather new and looking for exposure rather than a big pay out.
Good luck..
Just read that it's at s restaurant... they may have someone that's been there before?? Shop around for the cost but def hear them before choosing them

I would start with the restaurant and ask who they suggest, normally they will have some vendors that they have worked with before or be able to tell you who not to use. Also what does the restaurant allow, noise level, dancing. Will other parts of the restaurant be in use at the same time? this might make a difference in how I would decided on a DJ.

I'm in NJ and I think $300-500 is the norm. IMO a DJ is one of the most important parts of a party for my family. It can make a party just ok versus awesome but we like to dance and music is a big part of our lives. Depending on what area you are in I can give you some recommendations. I'm near Philadelphia.

I think a lot will depend on what part of NJ you live in and if you plan on using a professional DJ or one that does it for extra money (not that one is better a better choice) If you are looking in the northern part of NJ I would think 500.00 would be an amazing price and found by local ads or word of mouth... But you would likely be looking at closer to the 750-1000 range for a small venue... once you get into larger venues like weddings you will easily double+ that price. For you it is a 4 hour price to them it is hauling all the equipment setting it up and taking it down which turns into 7-8 hours much less the expense of owning all of the equipment.

I agree pricing can be regional. We paid in that range for a basic dj 25 years ago! Check ur local Facebook pages. I know our towns MOMS page is a huge help with stuff like that. Someone kid may just be starting out and doing parties for a low cost.

I think a lot will depend on what part of NJ you live in and if you plan on using a professional DJ or one that does it for extra money (not that one is better a better choice) If you are looking in the northern part of NJ I would think 500.00 would be an amazing price and found by local ads or word of mouth... But you would likely be looking at closer to the 750-1000 range for a small venue... once you get into larger venues like weddings you will easily double+ that price. For you it is a 4 hour price to them it is hauling all the equipment setting it up and taking it down which turns into 7-8 hours much less the expense of owning all of the equipment.

I agree. My friend paid 1500 for her wedding DJ but they did a lot. If the OP just wants a basic DJ to play music and not MC or do lighting i think $500 would be easy to do.

For DDs quinceanera we are looking to spend around $750 since we want lighting, MCing and making a lighting logo.

Try craigslist to get an idea of prices (and maybe even book). I found a couple in New England who charge $295 or $320 for parties. Most didn't list prices, it probably depends on the event and what extras you arrange. My neighbor does it as a side gig and will bring a photo booth at extra charge. I think he gets $600, but I'm not going to knock on his door now :D

I agree pricing can be regional. We paid in that range for a basic dj 25 years ago! Check ur local Facebook pages. I know our towns MOMS page is a huge help with stuff like that. Someone kid may just be starting out and doing parties for a low cost.
I paid $500 for a dj at my wedding reception 20+ years ago, nothing fancy, just played music (in NE NJ).

$500 sounds super cheap.
I paid $700 for a DJ for my wedding, 4-5 hours (don't remember) in Texas (cheaper area than most of NJ) almost 15 years ago. It was nothing fancy- just play music and keep the crowd moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter