• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

DIY In-Room Celebration

GenevieveRaqs

DIS Veteran
I love the In-Room Celebrations that the Disney Florist puts together, but I feel like the price is just tooooo steep for what you really get. So, for my DS4's first ever trip to WDW I'd like to try to put together a DIY in-room surprise!

Here's where I need some help...what kinds of items and decorations would you suggest? I have been buying a ton of glow things as I find them at the Target dollar spot and Dollar Tree. He already has a big plush Mickey, so I thought maybe a Goofy or Pluto plush. But what else? I wouldn't be able to do helium balloons, but I could blow up some regular ones and have them bouncing around. I may do a few snacks, but we have the DP so I don't think we'll be hurting for food! :lmao: We're going in October, so I'd definitely like to include some Halloween themed stuff--bonus if it is also Disney related!

Have you done something like this? What sorts of things did you include?

My plan is to have DH take DS for a little walk around the resort (FW cabins) right after we arrive while I quickly set everything up. DH, DS and I are flying, but my parents are driving and meeting us there, so space is not an issue since I can pack stuff with them.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum...please feel free to move if it should go somewhere else!

I haven't done this... yet but I hope I can someday soon! Here are some idea's I had:

-Mickey confetti
-welcome DS banner
-card from Mickey
-1st time t-shirt
-Disney jammies
-autograph book
-Disney socks
-new Disney dvd

My nieces aren't very good at uprooting their daily routine so to help them with their anxieties I like to make ordinary things special. Things like character wash cloths and bath toys, new coloring books and goodnight books, and maybe a princess pillowcase. It helps make bath time and bed time seem like a treat! ... and avoid meltdowns =)

Have a great trip!

Closer to Halloween....Walgreen's always has some fun Disney stuff!! Keep your eye out! October is our month too and I always find things for the room there.

We do this sort of thing every trip. :thumbsup2 I've done a series of gift bags. And last trip we did DS's birthday party. I'm working on a 12 Days of Christmas theme now. And trying to be slightly restrained. You can see from the posts in my sig, I have a tendency to go overboard (and we fly so space is an issue!).

I highly recommend checking out the Creative DISigns board (under the Just for Fun) category. But I will warn you, it's highly addictive. :rotfl:

Michaels often has a lot of inexpensive Disney items.

Since you're going in Oct I would be sure to have a Mickey Jack o lantern...Target, Walgreens and I think Kmart have had them in the past.

Tltorrez...just looked at your different goodie bags...AMAZING!!! Love the birthday and the MNSSHP best...too cute that DS said Mickey invited him personally!

Check out the creative DIS signs section here on the boards I use the designs that the very talented people make and i have fun doing them lots of ideas

We are celebrating several things this trip and have a myriad of things going on to help.

We ordered gift baskets by Memories by Betsy to be delivered to the room after check-in for DD's birthday and BIL/SIL's anniversary, have a cake to be delivered on our Illuminations Cruise for DH's achievement, and managed to track down a pre-lit tree and some decorations for MIL's 'Christmas in June' surprise (we left our original tree at home but managed to find a hilarious replacement)

I found the Dollar Store was GREAT for having some odds and ends, and the DISigns board has great people who can help you come up with neat signs and goodies.

Stoked for our parties starting TOMORROW!!!

006.jpg

005.jpg

016.jpg

013.jpg

Here are some things that I have made for past trips

Thanks, everyone! These are some great ideas, and I'm going to hop over to the Creative DISigns forum to poke around there, too. :)

I really like the idea of making the everyday things special. Since we're in a cabin, I'm thinking I'll do something for each room...Mickey bath items in the bathroom, snacks in the kitchen, etc.

Here's my list so far, aiming for a classic character theme (heavy on Mickey):
Welcome banner/sign
Note from Mickey (Anyone ever have luck getting Mickey's "official" signature from the front desk?)
Confetti
Streamers
Balloons
Stickers and temporary tattoos
Glow things
Sunglasses
Autograph book (thinking of doing this on Snapfish so I can have character pics next to a blank page for signatures)
Pillow pal (or other Disney pillow/blanket)
Story book for bedtime stories
Toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap (I'm pretty sure they make all of these in Mickey themes)
S'mores kit (We're doing the Campfire Sing-a-Long)

Any other ideas are welcome! I'm actually pretty excited about putting this together myself instead of just ordering it. :goodvibes

I did a Mickey's Grand Welcome for my nephew on his 1st trip last oct. Google mickey footprint and you'll find tons of designs, print out about six and cut them out then place them on the floor leading from the door to the bed where you are going to lay the gifts. I also made three boxes look like the one's from mickey and pals birthday celebration package. I didn't do the donald or minnie ones because he's not as into those but you could do them too. I just took large gift boxes and painted them red and yellow with a black bow for mickey, gold and black with a doggie paw print bow for pluto, and orange and green with a black bow for goofy. All the stuff you can get at walmart even the paw print ribbon! Then make gift tags in a similar color scheme for each gift box and print a little personalized note from each character, include things like where that character might see your child next to make it more personal, then sign it from that character. Set your Mickey, Goofy and Pluto plush next to each box. In mickey's box I had a disney t-shirt and personalized mickey ears - you can get them real cheap on ebay and get them personalized somewhere else. Goofy's box I filled with his fav. candy and glowsticks. Pluto's box I bought a plastic dog bowl spray painted red and paint his name on it then put a bag of the scooby snacks that look like dog treats in it, topped it with disney mini fresbees from the dollar store. Then I put a giant Mickey head balloon with a red and black balloon in the room, I bought a helium tank from walmart and brought it with me since we drove so I could fill the balloons, it worked perfectly. I hung a sign on the door that said welcome Noah. When we got back from Epcot on the 1st night he was so excited, the look on his face and how he kept thanking me the entire trip was more than all then money in the world! He called me his miracle working aunt and said I didn't even have to say bibbti bobbti boo I could just make magic happen. All in all it cost me $50 to do all this because most of the stuff was homemade or bought on ebay and at dollar stores but his thanks was priceless.

We lay out a few gifts every night when the kids are asleep so they see them in the morning when they wake up. So they get a few little surprises everyday instead of a whole bunch at once when we first arrive. It keeps the magic going longer IMO. We always leave the gifts with little notes from a character. For example, a princess puzzle with a note that says "can't wait to see you at breakfast at Akerhaus" Some of the gifts are puzzles, water bottles, hat, t-shirts, beach towels, balloons, Pjs, disney socks, disney hair things, candy, playing cards, new DVDs for the car ride home, stickers, etc.

Hello, as a sneaky Mom myself, I have done several "surprise gifts" from Mickey and his friends. I get a small gift bag and put it in my carry on. Any concerns about the airport, there is nothing over 3 oz and I whisper to TSA there is a gift for my kid in there and please don't ruin it, they put it through the X-ray machine no problem.

When we get to hotel I tell my daughter to go check out the bathroom or go find the ice machine with her Dad and put gift on the bed behind pillow, in fridge or in a drawer telling her we must have missed it in all the excitement.

The following have been surprises:
Dollar Tree has great Disney Items from coloring books, crayon packs, chalkboards, mini frisbees, ball and paddle. Instead of the plushes, I get the little clip on characters so she can clip them to her backpack for school. Also those little Disney facecloths that expand with water she has loved on vacation.

Have done a whole "swim collection" from Disney Online, a suit, goggles, sunscreen (with Mickey stickers on it), Disney lip balm and swim rings.

Last year (since she is older) got her an iPod external speaker, a writing book and pens to "journal" her trip - also accomplished homework at the same time, and a gift card for her to get something of her choice. And Mickey Vitamins, a healthy idea!

This year (23 days) I found this site www.cookiesbydesign.com/gift-baskets/disney-gifts and they do a lot of Disney baskets also by holiday, so I am going with a Halloween one! Don't get freaked about the prices you can add or delete as many cookies as you want and they deliver to Disney area and resorts! Much cheaper than Disney Florist!

I hope you have fun making their arrival a bit magical, you are a cool Mom!:cool1:

You could get some temporary wall stickers and put them on the walls for the party. WallPops offers some Disney-themed wall decals. They are easy to put up and remove and I think they'd be great for the occasion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter