Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

How are the beds? We are considering staying here next Feb. but have been spoiled renting points at BWV and BCV. However, I think my DD, who will be 5, would love the RR experience. Us adults want to be comfortable though. BWV had such comfy beds!

Just wanted to chime in ... we stayed in Acadian House last year and my husband did not find the bed comfortable on the first night. He called Housekeeping and they brought a brand new mattress the next day -- which turned out to be perfect. You can't beat that!

As you said (and I confirmed) 11pm is the last boat to DS, and 11:30 for the last trip back.

Andre
Thank-you so much for the reply. I am sorry I misunderstood your "Yes." for yes the boats run back to POR from DS at 11:30 pm. Not "Yes." as in you were answering my question as to when the last boat leaves from POR to DS. Sorry for the confusion (I have a busy 4 year old), and thanks again for answering my questions.:)

We have booked a standard room. We have requested the Magnolia Terrace bldg preferably ground floor. Will we be disappointed with this room?

This is our first time to stay at POR, in fact first time to stay at a mod period. We have been to WDW 10 times but have always stayed value. Namely POP. We always booked preferred at POP 70's section.

This is also my first time to book with a travel agent vs on my own through Disney. Do I have to go through the travel agent with all of my requests?

It looks like it will be in the back of the building. Please tell me if I'm wrong, but the standard rooms are closer to the bus stop but we would have to request river view to be closer to the bridge to get to the lobby. I truly don't know which one I would prefer: bridge or buses. Leaning toward buses.

Can anyone tell me how far/long the walk will be to the food court/lobby from one of these standard rooms? I have read most all of this thread but can't find the answer.

Oh, and we will be there June 11-18, if that helps. POP has always felt like home but we had the opportunity to stay here for a little less than POP so we decided to try it.

We have booked a standard room. We have requested the Magnolia Terrace bldg preferably ground floor. Will we be disappointed with this room?

This is our first time to stay at POR, in fact first time to stay at a mod period. We have been to WDW 10 times but have always stayed value. Namely POP. We always booked preferred at POP 70's section.

This is also my first time to book with a travel agent vs on my own through Disney. Do I have to go through the travel agent with all of my requests?

It looks like it will be in the back of the building. Please tell me if I'm wrong, but the standard rooms are closer to the bus stop but we would have to request river view to be closer to the bridge to get to the lobby. I truly don't know which one I would prefer: bridge or buses. Leaning toward buses.

Can anyone tell me how far/long the walk will be to the food court/lobby from one of these standard rooms? I have read most all of this thread but can't find the answer.

Oh, and we will be there June 11-18, if that helps. POP has always felt like home but we had the opportunity to stay here for a little less than POP so we decided to try it.
I just stayed in the Magnolia Terrace Building in a standard room on two separate vacations this winter. It's a great location because the East Bus Stop is right behind the building's parking lot. Also, from the front of the building, the bridge on the right will take you quickly to the Feature Pool and food court, while the bridge on the left will take you to the Main Lobby. Both walks would be under 5 minutes easily.
I requested the Magnolia Building for both trips, and got it both times. I got ground floor on the first trip without requesting a floor location, but I got third floor on the second trip even though I had requested ground floor. Both locations were very fine. I never waited more than 30 seconds for the elevator. Requesting the Magnolia Building or a ground floor room will not be a guarantee, as you could be assigned any standard room in either section. Enjoy your stay at POR. I think you will like it very much.

How are the beds? We are considering staying here next Feb. but have been spoiled renting points at BWV and BCV. However, I think my DD, who will be 5, would love the RR experience. Us adults want to be comfortable though. BWV had such comfy beds!

I've never stayed at a deluxe, so I can't compare, but I thought the beds were just fine.

Andre,

Is the blanket pictured provided by the resort?

I ask because last year we stayed two nights as an add-on to our trip. We are a family of 5, so we were in AB with a pull down. We did not have a blanket, only sheets. DH walked down to the front desk and they said they did not supply blankets. We thought it odd, but made do. Then we stayed one night last fall at CBR before our cruise. Once again, we had no blanket. Only sheets.

We're staying one night as an add-on at POR in a couple of weeks. Should I bring my own blanket for DS?

You should never have to bring a blanket, unless you have one that you are partial to, or you have really sensitive skin. I am always freezing, so I called housekeeping and asked for a extra blanket and they brought it right away. Maybe sometimes they take them out to wash and forget to put them back, since the bed is folded? I have no idea, because I never use that bed.

I just stayed in the Magnolia Terrace Building in a standard room on two separate vacations this winter. It's a great location because the East Bus Stop is right behind the building's parking lot. Also, from the front of the building, the bridge on the right will take you quickly to the Feature Pool and food court, while the bridge on the left will take you to the Main Lobby. Both walks would be under 5 minutes easily.
I requested the Magnolia Building for both trips, and got it both times. I got ground floor on the first trip without requesting a floor location, but I got third floor on the second trip even though I had requested ground floor. Both locations were very fine. I never waited more than 30 seconds for the elevator. Requesting the Magnolia Building or a ground floor room will not be a guarantee, as you could be assigned any standard room in either section. Enjoy your stay at POR. I think you will like it very much.
Thank you so much for your reply and input! It puts my mind at ease. We are so excited to be staying here for the first time yet know what we are used to at POP. We usually go in April or May but my DD is now teaching school so June it is. The buses last year in June at POP were miserable. Hoping for a little better experience here. Thanks again.

Hello there! I'm sure this question has been answered a billion times now..but I can't find the answer...we are possibly looking to stay at riverside. We have always stayed at pop or music. We love those resorts. Why, you ask?!..distance to get a soda or to go for a swim. We are a little worried about the distance of the moderate resorts. I don't want to take a bus to refill my mug or to even get to the main pool. I know there are a few more perks and the themes are a bit more, but..how far is it to walk from say bldg 14 or 18 to the food court, main bus stop and to the pool? We want to make sure we are making the better decision to stay at a moderate. Any advice would be great. We would be traveling with my mother and a 6yr grandson. Thanks a bunch!!

Yes, you'll have to go through your travel agent for your requests except for the ones on the online check in form. Those you can make yourself. :)

Hello there! I'm sure this question has been answered a billion times now..but I can't find the answer...we are possibly looking to stay at riverside. We have always stayed at pop or music. We love those resorts. Why, you ask?!..distance to get a soda or to go for a swim. We are a little worried about the distance of the moderate resorts. I don't want to take a bus to refill my mug or to even get to the main pool. I know there are a few more perks and the themes are a bit more, but..how far is it to walk from say bldg 14 or 18 to the food court, main bus stop and to the pool? We want to make sure we are making the better decision to stay at a moderate. Any advice would be great. We would be traveling with my mother and a 6yr grandson. Thanks a bunch!!

We stayed in building 95, royal room, last year and did not find the walk to be that bad and building 14 looks to be about a 1/4 of that. We found the walk a chance for the kids/cousins (3 of them) to just run, play with the fountains, watch the horses, etc.. We tended to go from the main dinning area straight to the park's. POR definitely won us over last year. We did both pools at POR and POFQ. With that being said, we are considering on going back to the contemporary garden wing next year, with the primary reasons that we still will be using a stroller and found previously that being walking distance to MK, on the monorail, and the huge standard rooms were a great thing.

While I know requests are just that (lol) and subject to pixie dustpixiedust: does anyone who typically stays in the Preferred section have a particular favorite request? We transferred over from CBR (my "home" :love:) due to construction for our next trip. We have a bit, it's coming up 6/2-6/13. We transferred over Preferred for less room location stress (in not being familiar since we've never stayed here before). I've been playing with Touring Plans room finder (whatever its officially called lol) in trying to get a "feel", but it's never the same as actual experience. Of course riverside seems lovely, but I understand that's a category of its own (and wonder the probability of a "Preferred" booking actually getting it when booked full capacity? Thank you ever so much CBRo_O) And, if I truly had to pick the #1 convenience factor for us, it'd be location to the closest Preferred bus stop. I'm sure this is a general option when I can do my check in on line soon. But, I typically also enlist the help of my sweet TA in submitting a more specific request (like building/rooms etc) about a week or so prior to coming (oddly enough, they've all been honored to this point:confused3...knock on wood)... Any helpful suggestions? My cake & eat it too would be the pretty riverside and close to the bus. But, I'd scrap a 10 second view to still be close to the bus any day (especially after closing a park down bc we're night owls:P).

While I know requests are just that (lol) and subject to pixie dustpixiedust: does anyone who typically stays in the Preferred section have a particular favorite request? We transferred over from CBR (my "home" :love:) due to construction for our next trip. We have a bit, it's coming up 6/2-6/13. We transferred over Preferred for less room location stress (in not being familiar since we've never stayed here before). I've been playing with Touring Plans room finder (whatever its officially called lol) in trying to get a "feel", but it's never the same as actual experience. Of course riverside seems lovely, but I understand that's a category of its own (and wonder the probability of a "Preferred" booking actually getting it when booked full capacity? Thank you ever so much CBRo_O) And, if I truly had to pick the #1 convenience factor for us, it'd be location to the closest Preferred bus stop. I'm sure this is a general option when I can do my check in on line soon. But, I typically also enlist the help of my sweet TA in submitting a more specific request (like building/rooms etc) about a week or so prior to coming (oddly enough, they've all been honored to this point:confused3...knock on wood)... Any helpful suggestions? My cake & eat it too would be the pretty riverside and close to the bus. But, I'd scrap a 10 second view to still be close to the bus any day (especially after closing a park down bc we're night owls:P).

For a preferred room close to the river and the South Depot bus stop, you'll be looking at building 14, which has a nice mix of both. Building 15 is a tad closer to the bus stop, less than a minute from building 14, but it's definitely farther from the river. 14 also has the added bonus of being the closest building to the food court :D

http://www.portorleans.org/riverside-info.php

how far is it to walk from say bldg 14 or 18 to the food court, main bus stop and to the pool?

From 14 (which is a Preferred Location booking) the walk could be as little as 50yds (less than a minute) to the food court, but no more than 2-3 minutes from the other side of the building. About the same distances for the nearest quiet pool, and 3-4 minutes or so to the South bus stop. But remember you are not guaranteed to get building 14.

Yes, you'll have to go through your travel agent for your requests except for the ones on the online check in form. Those you can make yourself. :)

Anyone can fax a request in just before they arrive (I suggest about 3-5 days out) which is the best way to get your communication noticed directly by the room allocation team. Also, that way you know the wording is exactly as you want it to be, rather than going via several people to become a brief note on the booking system.

Andre

Well I've made my booking for POR for our late August/early September trip. POR is hands down my favourite place to stay at Disney. Unfortunately our exchange rate is so bad right now (Canadian), that if free dining were offered for our dates at one of the other mods, it would make the most sense to switch resorts. However, I do have a backup plan that doesn't cost too much more that uses tickets I earned for free through a rewards program and hopefully a room only discount that might make staying at POR and paying out of pocket for dining in the same ballpark hopefully.

Regardless, I'm hopeful we will end up at POR again and plan to hang out in here as if it's a sure thing:rotfl:. It's been four years since our last POR stay and I am so excited to be going back.

I'm really looking forward to our first trip at POR. I wanted to stay here for our last trip, but it was such a park commando type trip it wasn't worth it because we were hardly at our hotel so we went with ASMu.
This trip was totally unplanned & for me "last minute" - we're going in August. DD was accepted into the DCP and her check in day is 8/7. Didn't feel comfortable with her driving from NJ to FL all by herself, so the family is splitting into 2 cars and driving there & having a very relaxing trip.
I'm told Yeehaa Bob is not to be missed. Can any of you regulars let me know what his usual performance nights are?

I'm really looking forward to our first trip at POR. I wanted to stay here for our last trip, but it was such a park commando type trip it wasn't worth it because we were hardly at our hotel so we went with ASMu.
This trip was totally unplanned & for me "last minute" - we're going in August. DD was accepted into the DCP and her check in day is 8/7. Didn't feel comfortable with her driving from NJ to FL all by herself, so the family is splitting into 2 cars and driving there & having a very relaxing trip.
I'm told Yeehaa Bob is not to be missed. Can any of you regulars let me know what his usual performance nights are?

Congrats to your daughter getting into DCP! I'm sure she'll have a blast!

I drove from Philly to Port Orleans a few years ago. It's a gorgeous trip, but it can also feel long at times. Once you get past Richmond, VA, the roads will open up. Make sure to try some Bojangles fried chicken in The Carolinas and a Krystal burger down south (Krystal is kinda like White Castle, only with mustard). Don't worry about South of the Border by the state line of both Carolinas, on the South Carolina side. That place looks like its heyday was 20 years ago. The only good thing about there is it's roughly the halfway point from Philly to Orlando.

As for YeHaa Bob, his schedule is Wednesday to Saturday from 8:30 until 11:45 http://www.yehaabob.com/

As soon as anyone has a one-off bad experience it's easy to get worried, and the internet tends to melt down and decide the sky is falling. :) Seriously, don't let it worry you too much when one person has a problem - but it does remind us that in a resort the size of Port Orleans, sometimes things can slip through the cracks. Personally if so much was obviously wrong from the outset I think I would have asked to be moved to a different room, but the OP was short on time so decided it was acceptable for a few days. I'm glad they are reporting it though, as otherwise any problems won't get fixed. It's far better to report issues while you are there though, but I do understand that they didn't want to waste any of their Disney time on the matter. Suffice to say that their experience is not the norm.

Yes they do, but the elevators are located in the middle sections of the buildings (which are set some way back from the river) so all of River View Royal Rooms, except for a few central third-floor ones, are a bit of a trek from the elevators to the actual room. I would definitely contact the special needs department in advance and get them to put in a request for one of the centrally located River View rooms near the elevators.

The ferry boats are fully accessible, and guests can remain seated in ECVs for the trip.

There is a bus stop (East) not far from Oak Manor, but from Parterre Place it would probably be easier to use the footbridge over to the main buildings and the South Depot.

Andre
We returned in mid February and found our room to be very clean with nothing worn that we could see. We were in a Royal Room, which is the Mansion section. We had overall good luck with the buses, but the resort was crowded so we did not get a seat every time. Riverside is our favorite resort and is simply beautiful. Enjoy and have a great trip.
You really shouldn't worry too much about it. Plenty of people have wonderful experiences there and you can get a 'bad room' anywhere. Had we been staying any longer I would have asked to be moved and pointed out the issues. We were in one of the mansion rooms. The resort is beautiful, we've just been fortunate to stay in other WDW resorts when they were brand new or had just been refurbed so I think this one suffered by comparison. I've learned not to prejudge anything at WDW too harshly based the occasional off or bad experience post. It's when a place starts to have consistent issues that you should be concerned and that certainly doesn't seem to be a problem here. :)
Thank you all for putting this into context. We have been to wdw many times but have never stayed at POR and keep second guessing our choice.

Congrats to your daughter getting into DCP! I'm sure she'll have a blast!

I drove from Philly to Port Orleans a few years ago. It's a gorgeous trip, but it can also feel long at times. Once you get past Richmond, VA, the roads will open up. Make sure to try some Bojangles fried chicken in The Carolinas and a Krystal burger down south (Krystal is kinda like White Castle, only with mustard). Don't worry about South of the Border by the state line of both Carolinas, on the South Carolina side. That place looks like its heyday was 20 years ago. The only good thing about there is it's roughly the halfway point from Philly to Orlando.

As for YeHaa Bob, his schedule is Wednesday to Saturday from 8:30 until 11:45 http://www.yehaabob.com/

Yes, we are all very excited, the past few days have been a whirlwind!

We are familiar with the drive, we've only flown there once. We have family on the space coast so we are actually driving straight there & staying a few days, then heading to POR & doing the parks in a very relaxing way & hanging at POR.

We will be checking in to POR on a Wed. so we will definitely be hanging around & watching Yeehaa Bob! Thank you for the link to his website. I'll be keeping an eye on it!

Can I teen sleep on that murphy bed?? Can you request those rooms with less than 5 people?? Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter