• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Any idea how the refurb will work?

Do they close down the entire building during the refurb and open it once all the rooms are done?

Or do they close off certain floors at a time and keep the rest of the floors occupied?

Any idea how the refurb will work?
Do they close down the entire building during the refurb and open it once all the rooms are done?
Or do they close off certain floors at a time and keep the rest of the floors occupied?

They normally prefer to close off whole buildings at a time, but occupancy levels are pretty high with everything else going on at the moment (and it's not such a major refurb as the last one) so the current plan is to close off at least one floor at a time, starting from the top and working down. See http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php . Might be worth putting in a request for a building that is not currently undergoing any work if you are going to be there during the first half of 2018 - or better, ask for an already refurbished room.

Andre

Is there a map that shows the smoking areas? I'm trying to figure out my room location request and I want ground floor but away from any smoking areas.

And regarding which building to request, nothing looks very far from the food court or bus stop, but does anyone have any preferences for a building (standard view) for any particular reason?

They normally prefer to close off whole buildings at a time, but occupancy levels are pretty high with everything else going on at the moment (and it's not such a major refurb as the last one) so the current plan is to close off at least one floor at a time, starting from the top and working down. See http://www.portorleans.org/rehab.php . Might be worth putting in a request for a building that is not currently undergoing any work if you are going to be there during the first half of 2018 - or better, ask for an already refurbished room.

Andre

Thanks Andre!

Do you think there is hope of a refurbished room if I stay 1/20-1/27?

I know they will still be working on the building till early February, but wondered if new rooms would be available by then (as I assume the upper floor would be done...the schedule is 1/6-2/9).

Is there a map that shows the smoking areas? I'm trying to figure out my room location request and I want ground floor but away from any smoking areas.

They are all around the resort, so much better to just ask for "a room away from smoking areas" rather than trying to second-guess what might be available.

Andre

And regarding which building to request, nothing looks very far from the food court or bus stop, but does anyone have any preferences for a building (standard view) for any particular reason?
There is a map on the disney site. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/map/#/id=designated-smoking-areas

We were offered "no mousekeeping" at check-in. We didn't exactly regret taking them up on it but we would not exactly do it again in the future.

We had a pool view in Building 5 but I'd imagine the back of the building overlooking the courtyard would not be considered such and the front half of Building 5 seems to be the closest to the food court. I took a walk to Riverside one morning and was pretty surprised by how far parts of Building 7 were (though it's probably nothing compared to certain resorts!).

Why would you not do it again?

It was just a long time to have no housekeeping at all (six nights). We didn't mind the towel situation as we got some fresh ones on request, or taking out our own garbage (we just dropped it in bins on the sidewalk, as instructed). But we were three adults sharing two beds, alternating who had the solo bed for two nights each. After a long hot day, coming back to a sloppy bed and having to sit on it because there's not really anywhere else to sit, then sleep in it after probably getting park germs on the sheets, and also remember whose pillows were whose plus the sheets just being that light fabric that doesn't really stay tucked in? It's kinda worth $50 to get a sheet refresh every now and then and having the bed made. Literally everything else was fine, and we probably did enjoy getting to be as cluttered as we wanted because no one had to vacuum around it, but the beeeeeds. The beds.

What is the no mouse keeping offer? I had read about it during the hurricane but didn't know they were still offering it. I am there in January and we almost always leave the do not disturb sign up anyways so getting a gift card for doing something we already do would be nice. Do you have to check in with a CM to get it? We will be arriving after 10pm so didn't plan to stop by the front desk.

What is the no mouse keeping offer? I had read about it during the hurricane but didn't know they were still offering it. I am there in January and we almost always leave the do not disturb sign up anyways so getting a gift card for doing something we already do would be nice. Do you have to check in with a CM to get it? We will be arriving after 10pm so didn't plan to stop by the front desk.

We received a $50 gift card emailed to the person who made the reservation within a few hours after check-in. Not sure what happens if you change your mind, or if that's even an option. Also not sure if the value is specific to the duration of stay or changes depending on the length of your trip. We were asked if we were interested in participating when we checked in with our CM, but it sounds like you can select it on your reservation from other posts.

It was just a long time to have no housekeeping at all (six nights). We didn't mind the towel situation as we got some fresh ones on request, or taking out our own garbage (we just dropped it in bins on the sidewalk, as instructed). But we were three adults sharing two beds, alternating who had the solo bed for two nights each. After a long hot day, coming back to a sloppy bed and having to sit on it because there's not really anywhere else to sit, then sleep in it after probably getting park germs on the sheets, and also remember whose pillows were whose plus the sheets just being that light fabric that doesn't really stay tucked in? It's kinda worth $50 to get a sheet refresh every now and then and having the bed made. Literally everything else was fine, and we probably did enjoy getting to be as cluttered as we wanted because no one had to vacuum around it, but the beeeeeds. The beds.
Thanks for the reply. It will be just my dh and me for 13 nights BUT it's a triple split stay. We start with 4 nights at AKL, 4 nights WL, and 5 nights YC. I think we will start out with it if it's offered at AKL and decide what we think. My biggest issue is making the bed. I do this every day at home and it is just a nice luxury having someone else do it for me while I am on vacation. Clean towels? Nah, we reuse those at home. We don't produce a lot of garbage, and I make tea that I bring from home. It really comes down to making the bed. Sigh... I guess for $100 and less mousekeeping tips I shouldn't be so lazy. :crazy:

We stayed 8 nights - I believe the offer was $10 a night - $10. We had our beds changed twice (DGD pizza fingers walking in from next door one night) and splashed with hot chocolate another! Our toiletries (still individual) were replenished daily, Mickey towels a couple of times, hoovered after TL sand, we use lots of towels which don't dry well in the rooms I wouldn't want to be using germy damp ones. For me mousekeeping is well worth it!

We stayed 8 nights - I believe the offer was $10 a night - $10. We had our beds changed twice (DGD pizza fingers walking in from next door one night) and splashed with hot chocolate another! Our toiletries (still individual) were replenished daily, Mickey towels a couple of times, hoovered after TL sand, we use lots of towels which don't dry well in the rooms I wouldn't want to be using germy damp ones. For me mousekeeping is well worth it!
Whilst we don't have a DGD, I CAN see my husband with gooey pizza fingers on the bedsheets! Maybe I should rethink this. Instead of blaming it on me being lazy, it will now be my dh's fault that we need mousekeeping . Yeah, I think I am going with this. Never mind that we have NEVER eaten pizza in our room at WDW! LOL

Does anyone know what the new rooms will look like? Andre have you seen any pics/drawings?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter