Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Greetings all! We're staying for a couple of nights immediately after the marathon! We're first timers at the Poly, and have tickets to Epcot and MK After Hours that Monday the 9th. I know our stay is short, but does anyone have a "must try" treat or favorite part of the Poly we should make sure to work into our plans on Sunday and Monday? :)

Not sure if you’re inclined but I second the suggestion of a Lapu Lapu from Tambu Lounge. 🍍🍹

If you’re into fireworks and won’t be in the park catching the evening show from the Poly beach with a beverage of choice is a nice treat to avoid the park madness.

It’s cheesy and probably not worth committing an evening to staying around the resort for it, but the Electrical Water Pageant currently makes its Poly stop around 8:40pm.

If Steve or Pete are working, a stop by the Barefoot Pool Bar at the Lava Pool is worth a visit.

Sorry most of my suggestions involve tiki drinks!

Last edited:
Not sure if you’re inclined but I second the suggestion of a Lapu Lapu from Tambu Lounge. 🍍🍹

If you’re into fireworks and won’t be in the park catching the evening show from the Poly beach with a beverage of choice is a nice treat to avoid the park madness.

It’s cheesy and probably not worth committing an evening to staying around the resort for it, but the Electrical Water Pageant currently makes its Poly stop around 8:40pm.

If Steve or Pete are working, a stop by the Barefoot Pool Bar at the Lava Pool is worth a visit.

Sorry most of my suggestions involve tiki drinks!
That's right up my alley! Thank you everyone - I think a Lapu Lapu is just the thing to top off my first marathon! Appreciate the tips, and excited to explore!

Got a chance to use the path a few times last few days. Most drivers yielded but some didn’t. It is well lit with temporary generator run lights (with associated generator noise and fumes).

Definitely not the same peaceful walk, especially when construction is going on behind the fences, but it’s passable.

I personally found the path poorly marked on the Wedding Pavilion side but it’s not rocket science to figure it out, but may confuse some.

The below was from a run yesterday going back/forth several times showing a few routes I took through the parking lot.

View attachment 728964
The noise and fumes sound so "magical" :rotfl:

Thanks for the map, that really helps put things in perspective!

That's right up my alley! Thank you everyone - I think a Lapu Lapu is just the thing to top off my first marathon! Appreciate the tips, and excited to explore!
I love the pulled pork nachos with my Lapu Lapu. Tambu Lounge served them before a refurb years ago, but you can get something similar (and sloppier) from Captain Cooks downstairs.

Greetings all! We're staying for a couple of nights immediately after the marathon! We're first timers at the Poly, and have tickets to Epcot and MK After Hours that Monday the 9th. I know our stay is short, but does anyone have a "must try" treat or favorite part of the Poly we should make sure to work into our plans on Sunday and Monday? :)
Bread pudding at Ohana. I got it as takeout from Kona Cafe and ate it in GCH. I think Tambu Lounge offers bread pudding as takeout.

The gift shop has items you cannot find elsewhere, such as the Olu merchandise (Duffy and Friends) and Honolulu Cookies

We arrive late tonight! Yep tomorrow I am getting POG! Well probably I will get a POGmosa since it’s NYE we can celebrate ALL day right? 🍹

If you have time can you let me know what the plans are for fireworks today? Are they giving out wrist bands? Thx!
I'm so sorry I didn't answer - I never logged back in to Disboards while we were there!! I hope you had a wonderful stay!

We are back from our week's trip (12/28 - 1/4...although due to flight cancelations we officially got home today after a night at a Marriott near the airport)

We were in the Hawaii building (room 1525), and all of the CMs there were wonderful. Some of the guests not so much, LOL!! I have never had such poor interactions with other guests. Grabby, snatchy people - going so far as to take an appetizer plate right out of my husband's hands (shortrib one night, which was very good, but not good enough to grab out of someone's hands), and someone who took a chair from my son to add to their own table (we were sitting in the chairs in front of the window, he got his plate and sat down for a second, then got back up to get a drink, leaving his plate on the little table, and as soon as he got up someone took the chair and moved it to another table. Another nice guest saw what happened and brought a different chair up for him. Crazy.) This was all in the first two or three days and I avoided the lounge after that, I just wasn't willing to go Mad Max for chicken nuggets and tiny desserts.
We would go and get a few things and take them back to our room but it just sucked the enjoyment out of the whole experience.
My 17 year old wasn't deterred, and one night he claims he had 7 key lime tarts, but he didn't take them out of anyone's hands - He works retail, so he's not shocked by much :laughing:

On the morning of NYE, the payment feature on the app was messing up, and people weren't able to get the paid lighting lanes. So many people being absolutely downright rude to the two CL front desk CMs trying to help. We just let everyone else go, and then Betty Jo (huge shout out!)went above and beyond trying to help us get a time for Rise of the Resistance that worked best for us - I was in the room trying to finish getting ready and DH was texting back and forth with me, and she worked some kind of miracle and the timing was perfect. We intended to watch fireworks that night but had the lights out by 1045 :rotfl:

As for construction...the first couple of days I forgot it was even happening! We walked out one morning and I said, "Oh yeah, the tower construction!" From the boat dock and monorail it's very noticeable, but I heard no noise and it didn't seem like any kind of issue toward the interior of the resort. The rooms directly facing it however, would be another story. But if you're not over there I didn't find it intrusive at all. Yesterday morning we noticed the work had started on the Lava Pool slide.

Oh, and if you're in Hawaii and plan to be in the room past 830/9am, don't forget to have the room occupied hanger on the door. They will come by early like clockwork for service. Our kids (both boys, 17 and 19) often slept in and joined us later on, and they had a couple of awkward encounters of knocking once they'd gotten in the shower or sat down in the bathroom, lol. But oh how nice to come back every day to a clean room, fresh towels, and beds made. It makes all the difference with four adult sized people in a room.

Overall it was a great trip, and the Polynesian continues to be a favorite when we're all there as a family. I still prefer a standard room in Rarotonga over Hawaii (i'm a weirdo, what can i say?), but DH and the kids liked having the lounge access...and I sure did love the POG juice! It was my second stay in Hawaii and their first, and my experience both times was quite similar.
Cast members all throughout the resort were very pleasant, we only had positive experiences everywhere with cast - Parks, transportation, restaurants...they were all great.

I hope everyone with upcoming stays has a magical visit - the Polynesian just has that extra something special!

I'm so sorry I didn't answer - I never logged back in to Disboards while we were there!! I hope you had a wonderful stay!

We are back from our week's trip (12/28 - 1/4...although due to flight cancelations we officially got home today after a night at a Marriott near the airport)

We were in the Hawaii building (room 1525), and all of the CMs there were wonderful. Some of the guests not so much, LOL!! I have never had such poor interactions with other guests. Grabby, snatchy people - going so far as to take an appetizer plate right out of my husband's hands (shortrib one night, which was very good, but not good enough to grab out of someone's hands), and someone who took a chair from my son to add to their own table (we were sitting in the chairs in front of the window, he got his plate and sat down for a second, then got back up to get a drink, leaving his plate on the little table, and as soon as he got up someone took the chair and moved it to another table. Another nice guest saw what happened and brought a different chair up for him. Crazy.) This was all in the first two or three days and I avoided the lounge after that, I just wasn't willing to go Mad Max for chicken nuggets and tiny desserts.
We would go and get a few things and take them back to our room but it just sucked the enjoyment out of the whole experience.
My 17 year old wasn't deterred, and one night he claims he had 7 key lime tarts, but he didn't take them out of anyone's hands - He works retail, so he's not shocked by much :laughing:

On the morning of NYE, the payment feature on the app was messing up, and people weren't able to get the paid lighting lanes. So many people being absolutely downright rude to the two CL front desk CMs trying to help. We just let everyone else go, and then Betty Jo (huge shout out!)went above and beyond trying to help us get a time for Rise of the Resistance that worked best for us - I was in the room trying to finish getting ready and DH was texting back and forth with me, and she worked some kind of miracle and the timing was perfect. We intended to watch fireworks that night but had the lights out by 1045 :rotfl:

As for construction...the first couple of days I forgot it was even happening! We walked out one morning and I said, "Oh yeah, the tower construction!" From the boat dock and monorail it's very noticeable, but I heard no noise and it didn't seem like any kind of issue toward the interior of the resort. The rooms directly facing it however, would be another story. But if you're not over there I didn't find it intrusive at all. Yesterday morning we noticed the work had started on the Lava Pool slide.

Oh, and if you're in Hawaii and plan to be in the room past 830/9am, don't forget to have the room occupied hanger on the door. They will come by early like clockwork for service. Our kids (both boys, 17 and 19) often slept in and joined us later on, and they had a couple of awkward encounters of knocking once they'd gotten in the shower or sat down in the bathroom, lol. But oh how nice to come back every day to a clean room, fresh towels, and beds made. It makes all the difference with four adult sized people in a room.

Overall it was a great trip, and the Polynesian continues to be a favorite when we're all there as a family. I still prefer a standard room in Rarotonga over Hawaii (i'm a weirdo, what can i say?), but DH and the kids liked having the lounge access...and I sure did love the POG juice! It was my second stay in Hawaii and their first, and my experience both times was quite similar.
Cast members all throughout the resort were very pleasant, we only had positive experiences everywhere with cast - Parks, transportation, restaurants...they were all great.

I hope everyone with upcoming stays has a magical visit - the Polynesian just has that extra something special!
It seemed to have more bigger groups in the past. There were tables without chairs often because they were borrowed. However we did find a spot at least!

Trying to get food I always tricky, it seems someone needs silverware and it can be hard trying to get in for it😅.

I learned if alone in the room to put that bar lock on the door. I have had maids walk in on me in the shower more than once ! 😱Problem is of course if family needs to get back in. So now I keep phone nearby just in case.

I see you were on 2nd floor. Our 1st floor room was crazy,1519 which is last room on the hall. To get anywhere there were 4 maid carts, 3 scooters, 3 double strollers (and one set put across from each other so you could barely fit)and some guy left his shoes in the hall by the door. 😜

Betty Jo has been at poly for a long time ! Love her. I have to say the new cm’s have been good. I had zero issues getting a drink midday.🥂🍷

Oh the payment feature! I thought it was just us. Dd finally changed to a different card around 7:09 and then we got GoTG ILL👍

I kept seeing young boys drinking pog and loving it . It’s fun to see a kids 1st time trying it🥰

We enjoyed our stay however our last day we were supposed to move to a std room. Dd got a sinus infection and wanted to rest more than ever. We usually do 25-30K steps a day but she was too tired. I was sitting in the lounge around 6p sipping that special punch and enjoying the view when I found a GF RPC room with AP discount so I switched so dd could rest and not cough on people. (More space) Check out my pix on CL thread, We were upgraded to the Disney suite😃

I promise it wasn’t me. It was just two of us and I sort of avoided the lounge for similar reasons, was pretty busy. 😇

Glad you enjoyed your trip.
:rotfl:sure, sure...you expect us to believe you weren't up there snatching plates out of people's hands? LOL!

Hope yours was great, too!!

Whether we are staying at the Poly or not we alwayymame it over to Tambu lounge for Ohana bread pudding and a Lapu lapu.

I've booked for the Poly in May and I'm currently booked into a standard view room - with all the construction going on I realise it will be a lottery whether I'm overlooking construction or not (I can try requesting a non-construction room but I realise there will be no guarantee).

I'm thinking about trying to upgrade to either a Theme Park or Lagoon view room (assuming there are any available) - but wanted to make sure that these room types won't be overlooking the construction as well? After all, seeing the Theme Park in the distance but construction right outside my window would rather ruin the point of upgrading!

Can anyone confirm whether these better view rooms will always avoid overlooking the construction area?

Apologies if it's already been answered but I had a quick look back through the thread and couldn't see anything.

I've booked for the Poly in May and I'm currently booked into a standard view room - with all the construction going on I realise it will be a lottery whether I'm overlooking construction or not (I can try requesting a non-construction room but I realise there will be no guarantee).

I'm thinking about trying to upgrade to either a Theme Park or Lagoon view room (assuming there are any available) - but wanted to make sure that these room types won't be overlooking the construction as well? After all, seeing the Theme Park in the distance but construction right outside my window would rather ruin the point of upgrading!

Can anyone confirm whether these better view rooms will always avoid overlooking the construction area?

Apologies if it's already been answered but I had a quick look back through the thread and couldn't see anything.

I would see if there are Marina/Pool view rooms available.. if you are facing the Marina you’d be in Fiji. Pool view would be Samoa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter