Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stayed at the Polynesian many times starting with the 1971 grand opening. I think we paid 60 -70 bucks a night then which was a steep amount. We liked the place so much we came back yearly thru the 90s. They must have renamed the longhouses as I recall the Tonga being where Hawaii is named to be now. Anyone fill me in on the name changes? and when? I also remember many more gas torches throughout the property along the walkways than what I see now. I think they did the right thing redoing the lobby rocks and waterfalls to get more balance and openess.

Overall the Polynesion has more than held its own with the other resorts. Location allows walking to the TTC or using boat to and from the MK. Also a bonus to walk the trail to the Grand Floridian.
Yes, the old Tonga building is now called Hawaii. We used to stay in Tonga in the 80s with my family and my Dad always requested first floor so we could walk out to the beach. I'm not sure when the names changed but you could check the Tikiman website.

We are staying at the Polynesian in March for 5 nights during our spring break. Question for you: other than location, are the rooms in the different longhouses the same? I know some are just for DVC (Tokelau, Moorea, and Pago Pago? I think?). But other than that, are the actual rooms all the same? I would like to request a longhouse that is relatively near GCH and not too far from the TTC. Also, do all first floor rooms have patios? Thanks for your help.

Yes, all the standard rooms are the same and first floor rooms do have patios. I think the DVC units are configured a little differently, but the standard resort rooms are all the same :).

Yes, the old Tonga building is now called Hawaii. We used to stay in Tonga in the 80s with my family and my Dad always requested first floor so we could walk out to the beach. I'm not sure when the names changed but you could check the Tikiman website.
Thanks for clarifiying this. We too stayed on the 1st floor for the walk out patio which allowed us quick access to the little hill directly in front of the then Tonga building. From there you could often hear the howling from the haunted House. Someone else was asking about the second floor rooms and I believe there was no patio walk outs then. Just the 1st and 3rd floors.

Last edited:
can anyone tell me how early the monorail starts running from the Poly to MK? I will be there in a few weeks and will be going to the Early Morning Magic and want to get to MK for sure by 7:20 at the latest...I assume the monorail is our quickest way to get there if it is running that early?

Hi!

We are staying in a dvc standard room 4/5 to 4/11 and was thinking about renting a cabana by the oasis pool on Friday, 4/6, for after we come back from a morning at the park. I haven't been able to find out much info on this. Has anyone done this recently? Is it worth it? From the pictures it looks like there are only three.

Any info on this would be appreciated!

Hi!

We are staying in a dvc standard room 4/5 to 4/11 and was thinking about renting a cabana by the oasis pool on Friday, 4/6, for after we come back from a morning at the park. I haven't been able to find out much info on this. Has anyone done this recently? Is it worth it? From the pictures it looks like there are only three.

Calling @GADisneyDad14.

Hi!

Yes, there are three. From my perspective, these are “cabana light” rather than a true cabana like you see at some other resorts. No amenities, it’s just shade/shelter/seating. Pricing varies by the season and I’m blanking on the #s right now, maybe someone else who has done it recently can remember.

You can book the whole day or half day. Whole day is 10am-7pm. Half day is 10am-2pm or 3pm-7pm.

“Worth” is subjective of course, but it can be nice to have a secured spot and some shade. IMHO the price is pretty reasonable for what you get.

I will say, my kids prefer to be at the Lava Pool so even when we had one, we spent half our time over there... so probably not really “worth” it for the way we ended up utilizing it! :-)

Here are some pics in case helpful:
IMG_9632.JPG

IMG_9633.JPG

IMG_9634.JPG

Oasis Cabanas.JPG

Yes, there are three. From my perspective, these are “cabana light” rather than a true cabana like you see at some other resorts. No amenities, it’s just shade/shelter/seating. Pricing varies by the season and I’m blanking on the #s right now, maybe someone else who has done it recently can remember.

You can book the whole day or half day. Whole day is 10am-7pm. Half day is 10am-2pm or 3pm-7pm.

“Worth” is subjective of course, but it can be nice to have a secured spot and some shade. IMHO the price is pretty reasonable for what you get.

I will say, my kids prefer to be at the Lava Pool so even when we had one, we spent half our time over there... so probably not really “worth” it for the way we ended up utilizing it! :-)

Here are some pics in case helpful:
View attachment 298195

View attachment 298196

View attachment 298197

View attachment 298198
Awesome! Thank you for the info. I like the idea of having a revered spot since we are going the week of Easter, so I think I'm gonna reserve one. I called and the price quoted for a full day, 10 am to 7 pm, was $74.55. Not too bad, thanks again.

Awesome! Thank you for the info. I like the idea of having a revered spot since we are going the week of Easter, so I think I'm gonna reserve one. I called and the price quoted for a full day, 10 am to 7 pm, was $74.55. Not too bad, thanks again.

We rented one on the 4th of July last summer and due to the crowds and our desire to just have a place to relax all day was completely worth it to us! We did a full day - we had to vacate it for a short time period due to a thunderstorm but we were staying GV CL so our room looked at the pool - we just hung out on our patio until we saw the pool open back up and we went back over to our home at the pool!

You might even get lucky and meet @GADisneyDad14 :-)

Hi, just wondering if it gets really crowded on the beach to watch the fireworks? What time should you get there, and can you bring drinks with you? Thanks

Anyone have an updated menu from the oasis pool? We stayed at the Polly last Feb and loved the menu. I have seen conflicting reports that the menu has changed. We will be there in a few months and are curious to know if our favorites are still on the menu. Thanks!

Hi, just wondering if it gets really crowded on the beach to watch the fireworks? What time should you get there, and can you bring drinks with you? Thanks
Yes, you can bring drinks. Crowd depends on the night and the season. Can be more crowded for things like Halloween/Christmas party nights, and the obvious holidays the Poly does block off some of the beach and may even restrict to guests only.

Just watched Tim Tracker's resort tour video from a couple of days ago. I am now dreaming of sitting by the oasis pool with a cocktail and some fish tacos. :D

You sound like my son, minus the cocktails (that is my dream!). He can’t wait for the fish tacos at the pool:)

Anyone have an updated menu from the oasis pool? We stayed at the Polly last Feb and loved the menu. I have seen conflicting reports that the menu has changed. We will be there in a few months and are curious to know if our favorites are still on the menu. Thanks!
As per SaintsManiac's post above, check out Tim Tracker's video...I believe he shows the menu (or at least part of it) briefly so you could probably pause the video to read the details.

Dreaming of the Polynesian-literally! I woke up this morning from a dream where we were checking into CSR and I kept saying it was wrong, but we had to stay there and not the Poly. We have the Poly booked for May and haven't stayed there since 2010, we've stayed at CSR the last 7 trips. I love CSR it's a beautiful resort, but it's no Polynesian! It's too soon to be having pre-trip nightmares!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter