Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just back from two glorious weeks at WDW! We did a split stay between GF and the Poly and while GF is beautiful, Poly is still my hands-down favorite.

Thanks for your review, glad you had a great time! I feel the same about the GF. I think the resort is beautiful and I do enjoy staying there, but the Poly will always be my favorite as well :goodvibes.

Our view from the room this past week (Samoa 2616).

FYI if you are a light sleeper and need to have the curtains open to wake when the sun rises you might want to request a non-pool facing room. I was fine, but my girlfriend had problems sleeping at night because the pool lights are pretty bright. We hate to close the curtains because we end up sleeping in when we plan a rope drop.

https://flic.kr/p/XQWVnq

The dream is real folks.

Just checked out from a 7 night stay at the Poly and put in a request (via my TA). We booked a standard view and got Samoa 2nd floor with a view of the Oasis pool (will update with a picture once I have time/now at work). At first I was kinda bummed we didn't get a balcony, but the extra space was great. It was so hot and humid the past week we didn't even open the sliding door and probably wouldn't have used the balcony if we had one. Also didn't see anyone else on their balconies at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian during our entire trip. The humidity was insane.

Negatives (unfortunately):

- Monorail: They really need to figure out another way for guests to get back to their rooms besides just a monorail and boat. One night we were stuck outside MK for an hour and a half since the lines were backed up so much. When the lines started moving people were getting really aggressive and started shoving other guests to get on. Half of those people weren't even staying at the resorts as the resort monorail was 90% cleared out at the TTC.

I hope this helps those of you who are planning a trip right now!

I agree about leaving MK to go to the Poly. The one reason we loved the MK resorts was the ease to and from MK. Well if you leave MK anywhere near closing it is impossible to get back to the Poly in a reasonable amount of time. The lines for the monorail or boat were crazy. We had stayed at the Boardwalk in the same trip and loved the MinnieVan service. It stops near the buses at MK and was wonderful when leaving. We mostly used the MinnieVan service when leaving MK.

Hi, I need some help. Back in July we had booked standard view for us, and two other families in Feb '18, and our friends had booked standard view for a May '18 trip.

I looked back in the thread, but wasn't able to understand how the new Pool/Marina view category impacts "standard view" room choices? Is there a list of what we might get for standard view now?

Thanks!

Without having to search through 592 pages of thread, can someone just answer me a quick question?

If I'm staying at say Contemporary or the AKL, can I visit the Polynesian and check out the beach area/tiki torch areas one night with my wife? Or do I need to be a guest of the Poly to walk that section of the grounds?

Thanks in advance!

Without having to search through 592 pages of thread, can someone just answer me a quick question?

If I'm staying at say Contemporary or the AKL, can I visit the Polynesian and check out the beach area/tiki torch areas one night with my wife? Or do I need to be a guest of the Poly to walk that section of the grounds?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can walk the grounds/enjoy the beach/watch the fireworks/etc as a non-Poly guest. With popular restaurants (Ohana, Kona Cafe), dinner shows (Spirit of Aloha), fun bars (Trader Sam's), the Poly is a popular destination for many WDW guests across property.

The only thing you can't access is the pool areas, which are behind MB scanners.

You might not be able to park as a non-resort guest, but no worries with other forms of transportation.

can I visit the Polynesian and check out the beach area/tiki torch areas one night with my wife?

Yes you can visit the resort and you do not have to be a guest. We did this last January when we weren't staying at any Disney property. We went to the lobby and asked if we might have a tour on our own and they kindly provided a CM to show us around - inside the CL and in a vacant room in Hawaii. They encouraged us to stay and wander the grounds which we did and ended up having drinks at Trader Sam's. I'm sure it would have been ok even if we hadn't stopped in the lobby.

ETA - we had no trouble parking at the resort. The guard asked for my husband's driver's license. We said that we did not have any reservations - we just wanted to see the resort and it was no problem parking in the resort lot. That said, we visited at a quieter time of the year in late January.

Hi, I need some help. Back in July we had booked standard view for us, and two other families in Feb '18, and our friends had booked standard view for a May '18 trip.

I looked back in the thread, but wasn't able to understand how the new Pool/Marina view category impacts "standard view" room choices? Is there a list of what we might get for standard view now?

Thanks!

I'm not positive, but I think Niue, Rarotonga, and Aotearoa are considered standard, with Samoa & Figi having pool/marina view. Hopefully others will verify that or correct me if I'm wrong :).

Thanks in advance!

As the pp's said, yes, you can visit the Poly and walk the grounds. The only thing you can't use is the pool, as GADisneyDad posted ;).

I'm not positive, but I think Niue, Rarotonga, and Aotearoa are considered standard, with Samoa & Figi having pool/marina view. Hopefully others will verify that or correct me if I'm wrong :).

As the pp's said, yes, you can visit the Poly and walk the grounds. The only thing you can't use is the pool, as GADisneyDad posted ;).

Great, thanks everyone!

Does anyone know if the grill at Poly is only for DVC or CL guests and if it's charcoal or propane fueled?
I have a prime rib roast that needs cooking this Christmas so we can have that home cooked meal feeling and assuage my guilt;).

Hi mickeynut1, you are correct, "Pool or Marina View" rooms include both sides of Samoa (Oasis and Volcano pools) and the Marina side of Fiji. I confirmed this today directly with the Poly back office.

SORRY, I DIDN'T MEAN TO INCLUDE MY RESPONSE WITHIN THE QUOTE ABOVE

Hi mickeynut1, you are correct, "Pool or Marina View" rooms include both sides of Samoa (Oasis and Volcano pools) and the Marina side of Fiji. I confirmed this today directly with the Poly back office.

I booked lake view studio DVC studio at the Poly by renting points. The company I used had the DVC owner make the reservation and put me and my party as the guests. Will I be able to fax in a room request through Touring Plans like I've done for regular rooms I've booked through Disney before? Or, will I need to do something different that DVC owners do? Just trying to figure out if I need to bother the company to bother the DVC owner to send in my room request. Oh, and if I understand correctly, because we booked a lake view through DVC, we'll be in Moorea, correct? TIA!

Cool. Thanks. I guess Fiji is off my list of room requests.

Good to know. Well ours match because we both got them from the Polynesian's own list of room categories that they have at the resort. I know there were some changes of the rooms after they first introduced the king rooms because they added a king to one of the Samoa rooms that did not originally have one but I was not aware of the change to the Rarotonga room. Thanks for letting me know.
Sorry for replying to an older post... long story short.. do the maps/layouts on your page get updated? I know we have a bit of time, but we booked Poly (us and 2 other families) for Feb '18, were looking at Rarotonga and wanted King rooms.. was hoping to use the room numbers we got from your page for our request when the time came..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter