Disney's ALL-STAR SPORTS RESORT Information & Questions

We'll also be at the Sports Dec 9 - 12. My son is a sports fanatic & will get a huge kick out of it. I did request a standard room at the Touchdown building. Hopefully I'll get it. I would also love to see pics & find out which buildings are reurb'd.

I just got back a few hours ago. I requested Touchdown building 7 (I had heard #10 has not been refurbed, and someone staying there this week confirmed it-rumor is that they will become suites), but I got a refurbed baseball room. It was really nice-great pool and close to the laundry room.

I haven't been able to read all the posts yet, but I am glad this thread was started. I have stayed at Sports 2x and really enjoy it!:wizard: I'm always surprised at the bad press it gets on these boards. My family's favorite section is the baseball one (Homerun Hotel). Partly because we are huge baseball fans, but mostly because the kids like swimming and it is right by the less busy pool.
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!:thumbsup2

SmallWorld71 why do you think All Star Sports gets bad press?
Deserved or not deserved?

I'm not the person you asked but I want to answer anyway. :) I think it gets bad press and the only reason I can think is that it is the oldest of the three All Star resorts. We stayed there in August and our room was just fine. We stayed at Movies in April and our room there was dirty and the room wasn't in good shape at all. I really don't want to stay at Movies again but we are staying at Sports again from 12/8 to 12/15 and very excited about it!

Donna

You can use a snack credit to buy 2L drinks in the store! I took cups and bought 3 2L drinks (on bottom of drink case) for the week. You can buy boxes of donuts and full sized bags of chips-any food item under $4 is one snack credit!

The food court:
100_0747.jpg

The lobby:
100_0904.jpg

100_0903.jpg

100_0905.jpg

We had a rehabbed baseball room (I had it decorated by feralpeg here on the dis):
100_0715.jpg

100_0714.jpg

100_0902.jpg

100_0901.jpg

100_0894.jpg

The football field:
100_0746.jpg

SmallWorld71 why do you think All Star Sports gets bad press?
Deserved or not deserved?

Good question. I have stayed at all 3 All-Star resorts. (I have not stayed at Pop.) I found the level of service (housekeeping, groundskeeping, buses, food court, pools etc...) to be basically the same. Of course, you can get the occasional cranky CM, but that can happen anywhere.
That said, I think maybe sports has 3 strikes against it which make it "out" for a lot of people:rotfl:
1) A lot of sports youth groups often choose to stay there (cheerleaders etc..) and a lot of people have big issues with these groups. I will say, last year we were there during Pres. week and there were lots of cheerleaders. We didn't find them a problem though. My daughter was fascinated by their routines and enjoyed watching them. However, there were probably a number of families there with little children, or adults traveling without children, who were put off by the sheer # of teens at the resort.
2) I think the theming of the other values appeals to a wider group of people. Although I know there are sports fans on these boards, Disney fanatics are just that, Disney fanatics. Most of us aren't sports fanatics too. It's not nearly as fun staying in a hotel, if the theming isn't to your liking.
3) It was the 1st value resort built and was starting to show it's age. I think this new refurb will help its image a lot.
JMHO

We're leaving in 36 hours! I will definitely try to request a refurbished room. Thanks for all the great pictures and info-We can't wait. Will post our own review and maybe pics when we get back!

I happen to love Sports, having stayed at all three Values as well as several moderates but it might have more to do with the fact that I have made friends with many of the people who work there and they treat me extra specially well.

It is the money I spend on the inferior (read non Disney) motels on the way down and back that I resent. They cost very close to and sometimes more than I am paying at Disney and I hate that.

Applesauce we always request Touchdown too so we might be neighbors.

december, great pics. I loved the new headboards when we were there in September. Looks like a great birthday for someone.

I am trying to get my September trip report done today or tomorrow before we head out on our December trip. I am always running behind on everything except for when I am at DW and I have help. Love the place!! Love the grandkids more or I would move. :rotfl:

Slightly Goofy

We just got back from a stay at Sports. I can't compare, b/c we've never stayed on property before. In general, it was just what I expected. I've often stayed at Quality Inns, and the like. All I'm really looking for on vacation is a clean place to sleep.

The beds were comfortable, the room was small, but big enough for me, DH, DS and our stuff w/ a little room to spare. The sink area is tiny, but we're not high maintenance... the first ride is going to give me "crazy hair" anyway. :rotfl:

I've heard complaints about noise, but we had no major problems. The pool did get a little loud at night, but DH wasn't bothered at all, and, since I'm a light sleeper, I always bring ear plugs just in case.

The CM's were very friendly and accomodating, the transportation was excellent. We only waited a long time for a bus twice. Once very early in the morning, and once leaving a park right after fireworks when we didn't make it on the first bus. All told, no big deal. (And, by a long time, I mean 15 - 20 minutes.) The food court was good too. Not fine dining, but definitely enough food to make a QS credit worthwhile if you are doing the dining plan.

That said, we did have one major issue w/ Housekeeping. Dirty sheets when we turned down the bed our first night, and it took 3 phone calls, 1 visit to the front desk and 1hr and 10 minutes to get clean sheets. Very frustrating, but I can't judge the hotel on 1 incident, and the rest of the stay was very nice.

We're leaving in 36 hours! I will definitely try to request a refurbished room. Thanks for all the great pictures and info-We can't wait. Will post our own review and maybe pics when we get back!

We just got back, and many of the rooms have been re-furb'd. We stayed in one of them, and it was very nice. (Small, but new-ish... pretty much what I expected from a value.) But, I do know that one of the Touchdown's has not been done yet. I think Bldg 7 is refurb'd, but Bldg 10 is not.

Hope it helps!

I happen to love Sports, ...
I am trying to get my September trip report done today or tomorrow before we head out on our December trip. I am always running behind on everything except for when I am at DW and I have help. Love the place!! Love the grandkids more or I would move. :rotfl:

Slightly Goofy

Nice to bump into you on the boards again! We took your advice and requested Touchdown, but they didn't have anything available. We were instead "bumped" up to Surfs Up. Since it was a quiet week, we didn't have much trouble with noise and very much enjoyed our stay! Thanks for the advice many moons ago. Our trip was completely Magical!

I'll look forward to checking out your trip report. :surfweb:

I just wanted to add that I think the layout of Sports is better than some of the other value resorts. (especially music and Pop) At Music and Pop you may be quite far from the food court/buses if you aren't in preferred. At Sports none of the rooms are too far from the main building. So, unless you have a real need to be near the main lobby, (which I know some do) you can probably skip the extra cost. :)

lighttech, I am glad to have been of service. We ended up at Touchdown in one of the refurbished rooms and were quite close to everything and with a free fridge. Glad to hear it worked out for you as well. Sorry we did not cross paths. You might have seen my room though as it was right across from the pool and food court and was well decorated, right down to the DIS can of corn!! :rotfl:

We are headed back in about two weeks. :santa: Why bother to unpack. The pool table has been out of order for nearly two months now.

I wrote a TR today but will not post it until I do a bit of editing and adding some pics and such. Might be by this weekend I hope. Have to get it done so I will have time to write the next one. My TR is only really useful for the halt and lame though. :rotfl2:

SG/Linda

lighttech, I am glad to have been of service. We ended up at Touchdown in one of the refurbished rooms and were quite close to everything and with a free fridge. Glad to hear it worked out for you as well. Sorry we did not cross paths. You might have seen my room though as it was right across from the pool and food court and was well decorated, right down to the DIS can of corn!! :rotfl:

SG/Linda

If I remember correctly, our dates didn't match up. We were only there 4 days :sad1: from Nov 12 - Nov 15. So, I did not have the pleasure of seeing the decorated room. As a matter of fact, I didn't bump into any Dis-ers at all!! :eek: At least not that I'm aware of.

Happy Holidays! :santa:

Can anybody please tell me if the pool`s at sports are heated as i know my children will wanna go for a dip at some point on our vacation.
Thanks.

lighttech, I am in awe of you guys who can not only remember when YOU were there but others. I am not nearly that good. I blame it all on my hearing cause I do not hear much of anything but I am probably senile as well. :rotfl2:

I had a plethora of notes, LGM, calls etc and ran into so many DISers in the parks and even was lucky enough to go to TWO Disney meets. The sad thing is that one lady that I talked to the most and saw often is driving me crazy. I did not write down her name because it never occured to me that I would forget her name but I have!!! I carefully wrote down most everyone else's name and took lots of pictures so look for them in my TR and you can meet some DISers although second hand.

I would have loved to have met you. Maybe some other time. If you do a TR please post a link so I can see what you got up to?

SG/Linda

I have more pictures for you all.

We stayed there in September. I'll never stay there again. There was mold all over the place (we were in Hoops hotel, building 3, I think). I wasn't impressed at all. Not only that, but the food court was a mob scene. We did the pools at the other values because one of the AS Sports pools was closed at the time we were there. They seemed so much less crowded than sports. But if you don't expect anything fancy, its not that bad.

ETA: The comforter on one of the beds also smelled like vomit.

DisneyPics187.jpg

DisneyPics556.jpg

DisneyPics504.jpg

The inside of our room. Sorry its messy.

DisneyPics508.jpg

DisneyPics541.jpg

DisneyPics548.jpg

DisneyPics542.jpg

DisneyPics547.jpg

The view from our door:
to the left:
DisneyPics537.jpg

to the right:
DisneyPics535.jpg

and straight ahead:
DisneyPics536.jpg

Also got pictures of the curtains:
DisneyPics540.jpg

...and the shower curtain:
DisneyPics544.jpg

And here's where you check in:
DisneyPics188.jpg

Hope that helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter