Disneyland versus Disney World - My thoughts

HydroGuy said:
I think the reference was not to "resort" but to "park". As in DL vs. MK park, rather than DLR vs. WDW resort. It is common for people to prefer the DL park over the MK park, but the WDW resort over the DLR resort. And, as you said, there is a lot of individual preference involved and history with each park.
Well, said HydroGuy! :thumbsup2

I think DLR and WDW each has it's own advantages/disadvantages. We're not comparing apples to apples with the 2 different resorts. I happen to like both resorts. We live 5o minutes from DLR and make it out to the parks about every month and to WDW about every year. We finally broke down and bought DVC at Saratoga; we should have bought points when BWV first opened.

My original intention as I said was not to trash either resort, but to say what I liked about each.

I like both and will return to both. Our first preference is WDW, and that is largely due to Epcot -it's our favourite park.

The first park I visited was Tokyo Disneyland in 1990 and 1991!

I don't really rate one park against the other. Both are wonderful experiences. Being a Californian, DLR is home and I know every nook and cranny, but the time I spent in WDW was priceless. I was out of my element so things did not go as effeciently as I had hoped but it was definately a new and exciting experience. I can't wait until I start planning our next WDW trip.

Living a few hours from Disneyland, I have visited there more times than I can count (at least without taking my shoes off). I just got back from my first ever Disney pilgrimage to Disney World last week. Here are my views:

While Disneyland is Walt's dream, Disney World, is Walt's vision. This statement holds especialy true for the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but also the other parks as well. WDW is what Walt would have done if he had the land, and experiences of Disneyland. I had heard that, but never quite believed it until I visited.

The main difference in atmosphere between the two resorts that I noticed is that Disneyland was created and marketed to the families of America. It was a celebraition of the American way of life, past, and future, and the pioneer spirit that inspired Walt Disney to pave so many bold, new paths in his life. Walt Disney World, on the other hand is marketed to the world. And while the Magic Kingdom has many of the same attractions and nods to the American Spirit, they are blunted a bit by political correctness so as not to offend.

After a week at Walt Disney World, I have mixed feelings about which I like better. From a totaly personal perspective, I am more comfortable in Disneyland, the park I grew up in, the park I know so well and love. I don't think I came away mentaly from Walt Disney World, with anything I could not have gleaned at the Disneyland. I still had the same warm Disney fuzzies as I get from a few days at Disneyland. But it was nice to have a whole week of nothing but Disney to occupy my obsession.

So I guess I would have to say that in my perfect world, Disneyland would have Mission Space and Rockin' Roller Coaster. I would then be in my own little hog heaven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter