Disneyland versus Disney World - My thoughts

Rachael Q

DIS Veteran
First - I am not trashing either park - I love them both. Before our 1/2 marathon trip last week, the last time we were at DL was in 2000 before DCA opened. We have been to WDW three times in the last 18 months.

What I like about Disneyland Resort:
Splash Mountain
Space Mountain
Pirates of the Caribbean
Mickey Pretzels
Being able to walk between the hotel, both parks and Downtown Disney
We took more breaks because we didn't have to worry about getting back to the hotel
Mr Toads Wild Ride
Pinnochios Daring Adventure
The Orange Zinger Swing

What I like about WDW:
having room key, park pass and charge card all on one card
Epcot
Philarmagic
View down Main Street to the Castle
Choice of hotels
Cheese Soup at Le Cellier
Peter Pan's Flight is a fast pass
More fast pass rides in general
Illuminations, Wishes and SpectroMagic
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
Talking Garbage Can and Water Fountain
More Choices for eating
Tree of Life

What I like at both (where the attractions are different):
Winnie the Pooh
Buzz Lightyear
It's a Bug's Life

Haven't tried TOT at WDW yet, so can't comment.

What I don't like at either:
Fantasmic
Mad Tea Party

I prefer WDW, partly because I love Epcot. But I still like and enjoy DLR, and will go back again. DH prefers WDW and says he wont go back to DLR - but he will!

There are some people that Fantasmic doesn't do much for (I am not one of them). WDW's Fantasmic doesn't do much for me, though I admit I would have been blown away had I not seen DL's first, many, many times. So many times I can do Mickey's choreography.

Fantasmic! is my second show at The Disneyland Resort right behind The Electrical Parade. But from the sounds of it I don't think I'll ever watch Fantasmic! at WDW.

...Joe...

Always thought there was something wrong with me too! Here goes...I'm not a Fantasmic fan either. Uh Oh! :cool1: please don't flame me!!! :tinker:

I don't know why I don't like Fantasmic. I like pieces of it, but overall am not a huge fan, and never have been. I still go and see it, every once in a while. I wanted to see the DL version, hoping that might "turn" me, but no!

I know I'm one of the minority.

Just for the record- DL has a talking trash can as well. His name is Push, and he can be found in tomorrowland.

Interesting comments...

I love both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom! The amazing thing is how they can be so much the same and so different at the same time. It is wonderful to me that they aren't exact clones... so much more fun to be had!

We enjoyed Cal. Adventure and love the California coast, but with the MGM-AK-Epcot combo, all the amazing resorts to choose from and my best friend living in Orlando, Florida comes out a bit ahead.

We *love* Fantasmic! at WDW...it was so-so at DL. Still loved it but it was better at WDW, IMO. ;)

I absolutely ADORE Fantasmic!! My favorite part is the elephants and the finale. The only part during it that I actually hate is when Pinocchio comes out. It just doesn't "fit" in my opinion.

...Joe...

Rella Bella said:
Interesting comments...

I love both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom! The amazing thing is how they can be so much the same and so different at the same time. It is wonderful to me that they aren't exact clones... so much more fun to be had!

They are different parks - I get frustrated when folks keep trying to compare the two as if they are or are expected to be clones of each other. DL is by far the better park - it is Walt's ORIGINAL park. Nothing can top that! :goodvibes

party:

minnietoo said:
DL is by far the better park - it is Walt's ORIGINAL park. Nothing can top that!

Just b/c it's the original, that doesn't necessarily make it better.

What makes one better than the other? It depends on the individual...period.

I've noticed that most people's "favorite" park is the first park that they visited.

As much as we adored DL, our favorite has to be WDW. It just has more options as far as dining and resorts go. Not to mention all of the parks available. So *for us*...nothing can top that!

So see, it's really just personal preference so to say that one is "far better" than the other is just plain wrong.

BTW...just b/c our favorite is WDW doesn't mean that we look down or criticize DL...actually, we can't wait to go back. My toddler (3) is always saying "can we go back to dee-neeworld." And in the next sentence he'll say "dee-neeland too." :goodvibes

If a three year old can appreciate each park for what it offers, I wonder why adults can't. LOL ;)

minnietoo said:
DL is by far the better park - it is Walt's ORIGINAL park. Nothing can top that! :goodvibes

party:

I agree! Even though I've only been to WDW once, I like DL better. Its less tiring, and the weather is MUCH better. I'll take California over Florida ANY day. :banana:

As many times as I have been to DL I have missed Fantasmic everytime. Someday I will see it. I like the quaintness of DL. Its been 9 yrs since my last visit to WDW. Its huge. I really liked Epcot.

I tend to like which ever park I just visited last. It has the newest memories! With that said I have to say I much perfer PoTC at DL than at WDW. It is so much longer. I get stay in my Pirates world for that much longer. I can't wait to go see the improved version with my favorite pirate.

Harmony said:
Just b/c it's the original, that doesn't necessarily make it better.

What makes one better than the other? It depends on the individual...period.

I've noticed that most people's "favorite" park is the first park that they visited.

As much as we adored DL, our favorite has to be WDW. It just has more options as far as dining and resorts go. Not to mention all of the parks available. So *for us*...nothing can top that!
I think the reference was not to "resort" but to "park". As in DL vs. MK park, rather than DLR vs. WDW resort. It is common for people to prefer the DL park over the MK park, but the WDW resort over the DLR resort. And, as you said, there is a lot of individual preference involved and history with each park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter