• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland or Disney World?

DL or WDW?

• WDW

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Pixar Takeover @ DL

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Halloween party '18 @ DL

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

DellyHoliday

Earning My Ears
My family (me, DH, DS4,DD1) has been to DL 4 times in the last two years. I plan for the next trip as soon as we get back from DL. DH isn't into Disney as much as I am so he suggested that we should do Disney but also something new next year.

So our options are going to DL for Halloween party since we've never done this before and DH's birthday's on Halloween so Halloween is a big event in our family, or the Pixar take-over in summer, or WDW for the first time, possibly during the free dining dates.

We live closer to CA so the flights to Orlando usually cost twice as more than to Orange County, if not more. We'll be spending 2 entire days getting there and coming back. So if we do go to WDW we'll most likely to stay there for AT LEAST 10 days just to make the flights worthy. If we do DL, then we are looking at a week long trip, 5 days at the parks and 2 days of CA sight seeing. When I estimated the price, WDW will cost us more but only by a little

Which trip should we do? DS will be 5 and DD will be 2 by then BTW.

My family (me, DH, DS4,DD1) has been to DL 4 times in the last two years. I plan for the next trip as soon as we get back from DL. DH isn't into Disney as much as I am so he suggested that we should do Disney but also something new next year.

So our options are going to DL for Halloween party since we've never done this before and DH's birthday's on Halloween so Halloween is a big event in our family, or the Pixar take-over in summer, or WDW for the first time, possibly during the free dining dates.

We live closer to CA so the flights to Orlando usually cost twice as more than to Orange County, if not more. We'll be spending 2 entire days getting there and coming back. So if we do go to WDW we'll most likely to stay there for AT LEAST 10 days just to make the flights worthy. If we do DL, then we are looking at a week long trip, 5 days at the parks and 2 days of CA sight seeing. When I estimated the price, WDW will cost us more but only by a little

Which trip should we do? DS will be 5 and DD will be 2 by then BTW.
Since the kids are only 5 & 2, I'd stick with Disneyland until they're old enough to ride all the WDW rides. Then take a big WDW trip and have a blast.

I personally like DL more than WDW but if the kids haven't been, and your youngest will still be free, it might be worth a trip to check it out.

Go with something different. It might help since you mention your husband isn't into Disney as much as you are.
Keeping with Disney in a new way would be good for both of you.

We love DLR, but easier to do WDW.
Your kids are young, but 10 days gives you time to do so much!
That's tough though - I've had my youngest two at WDW when they were only 2. Hollywood studios doesn't have much for that age in terms of rides - same with Epcot.
I'm inclined to vote Halloween party at DL this year - make it a spectacular bday for 5, then in a couple years do the big WDW trip!

My husband and I aren't Disney Crazy so our favorite Disney vacations with the kids have been a Disney Cruise and Aulani.

We really loved Aulani and Hawaii in general.

With the ages of your kids, assuming the choices are just WDW or DL, I'd pick DL during Halloween. I'd do WDW when your kids are older. WDW is totally doable with little ones, but it sounds like DL is the easier trip and one you are more likely to do again. I'd save WDW for when they can remember it better. My only disappointment with our Aulani trip is my youngest was 5 and now she is 8 and doesn't remember it at all. I guess that means we need to go again at some point!

Go to WDW. My nDH (non-Disney Husband) will NOT go to DL as he finds it too crowded and too 'been there, done that'. We're planning our SECOND trip to WDW and he's looking forward to it. He says that WDW is 'just different' and there's 'more to do'.

Don't risk your DH getting burned out on Disney because he's been to DL 'too much'.

If WDW is only a little more I'd go WDW. Pixar celebration is kind of a "meh" to me, DL is doing a filler until Star Wars in 2019. MHP 2018- idk, if the rumors are true & the party is moving to DCA maybe giving them a year to work out the kinks isn't a bad idea. Imho go see new stuff! Like Epcot & the Animal Kingdom. Run your numbers carefully for free dining. Some people find it a deal, others not so much.
ETA: ROFL just saw your post- hope y'all have lots of fun at your Party!!!

ETA: ROFL just saw your post- hope y'all have lots of fun at your Party!!!

I DO WANT to go to WDW (T_T) but I also feel my kids might be too young? We just got back from DD's "1st birthday" DL trip couple week ago so yeah, I don't mind them not remembering lol. I'm sure WDW has things for all ages but idk if it's as toddler friendly as DLR. hmmmm

I DO WANT to go to WDW (T_T) but I also feel my kids might be too young? We just got back from DD's "1st birthday" DL trip couple week ago so yeah, I don't mind them not remembering lol. I'm sure WDW has things for all ages but idk if it's as toddler friendly as DLR. hmmmm
I think the reasons DLR is better for small children are:

- No boats or buses at DLR (if you stay at a walking distance hotel) - I see people struggling with complicated strollers at WDW getting on a bus in particular. Kid in one arm, trying with one hand to fold the stroller up
- Muuuch easier to take afternoon breaks at DLR
- Shorter trip at DLR (3 days is a good solid trip, you would want 6 days at WDW for the same type of solid trip, which is more likely to tire out a smaller child)

Once kids are mobile (no strollers), can handle themselves better, do not need the afternoon breaks as much, and in general have more energy, then WDW becomes a better option in many ways. ::yes::

:wizard:

Last edited:
I think the reasons DLR is better for small children are:

- No boats or buses at DLR (if you stay at a walking distance hotel) - I see people struggling with complicated strollers at WDW getting on a bus in particular. Kid in one arm, trying with one hand to fold the stroller up
- Muuuch easier to take afternoon breaks at DLR
- Shorter trip at DLR (3 days is a good solid trip, you would 6 days at WDW for the same type of solid trip, which is more likely to tire out a smaller child)

Once kids are mobile (no strollers), can handle themselves better, do not need the afternoon breaks as much, and in general have more energy, then WDW becomes a better option in many ways. ::yes::

I didn't even think about the stroller situation but you're so right!

I'm from Colorado so if we were to go to WDW, I want the kids to see and experience as much as they can since we don't travel out that far, like ever lol. Cali's much cheaper and more convenient for us.

I didn't even think about the stroller situation but you're so right!

I'm from Colorado so if we were to go to WDW, I want the kids to see and experience as much as they can since we don't travel out that far, like ever lol. Cali's much cheaper and more convenient for us.
Colorado Springs here! How about you?

I'm also in Colorado. Our flights to SNA in a couple weeks were $44 on Southwest and $42 back from LAX. That alone is why we're a Disneyland family now. We've done a couple days here and there at WDW since we spring break on the gulf coast of FL and have take a Disney Cruise out of Port Canaveral, but there is a lot we would miss about DL if making a full fledged trip out to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter