Disneyland First Time Booker - HELP!!

hi yes I do realise that the dining plan is not required but I am worried at the cost of the meals at Disney if doing it 3 times a day for 14 days. Surely just 1 or 2 supermarket trips from Disney within the 2 weeks (via taxi, hire car or bus) where we stock up is manageable and would save us packets?? we are not ones for sit down restaurant meals anyway so if we didn't fend for ourselves via supermarket we would only get mcdonalds or similar anyway.

I agree with those who say that I don't appreciate the size of florida hence why I have already ruled out everything I originally wanted to do apart from Disney and US (and maybe supermarket!).

travel agent hasn't got back to me as promised which i'm a little bit disappointed at

I know where you are coming from about getting snacks and things from the supermarket. But to take advantage of this, you are going to need to somewhere to store and prepare food. I am not sure what kind of fridge etc you get with a standard room at WDW? We are looking at DVC (Old Key West villas) so they come with full kitchen etc. Even if you could just get water/drinks/snacks from the supermarket it saves you a lot.

queendisney gave me some directions on getting the Lynx bus to one of the supermarkets - I can't for the life of me find it again but I am sure she would point you in the right direction again.

I think you'll find taxis quite expensive for going from WDW to US - about $80 per trip is being banded around (return that is).

But I totally understand you not wanting to take a car - many people don't and manage.

I would price up Disney accom with either Disney direct (think they may still have room discounts on), or with someone like Expedia. You can then book airfares direct with whom you want - depending on price/indirect/direct etc.

If you wanted to stay onsite and cut the cost of food down, you could always do a supermarket shop for basic breakfast items and maybe snacks and fruit for while in the park. Then you could just do one hot counter service meal a day/night. They cost about $15 (£10), including a drink, for an adult meal. They're easily sharable though because they're quite big. I'm not sure how much a 6 year old eats, but the younger one wouldn't need their own meal. We never managed an adult meal, so I bet two between the four of you would be enough.

Eating on site will not cost you the earth if you pay as you go - there are many costs associated with buying the dining plan as it includes far more than you would probably pay for. At £108 per day for 2 adults and 2 kids on the DDP it is expensive, however if you don't pay for the Dining plan you would have the freedom to eat offsite but also be able to have meals in the parks without it costing the earth.

Eg on the DDP 4 x counter service meals have an rough value of $18each - so $72 ($11 main, $4 dessert & $3 drink)

In the real world you may just order 2 mains & 1 drink - so only $25

Despite the obvious savings of 'pay as you go' or offsite we have opted to pay OOP for the Dining Plan in advance this October, but that is because we have teenagers who eat different things plus I want things paid for in advance and be able to choose my meal by name/description and not by price! That is our choice and the convenience comes with a price tag.

Incidentally, I do have to agree with Chmurf, driving off site to eat a meal can be a chore especially with little ones, despite having a car last trip, when we stayed at Universal it was easier to walk to City Walk and pay their high prices rather than jump in the car to eat offsite for less.

You have to work out whether the savings and commute to dinner hold a greater value than the convenience of eating onsite (if staying at Disney).

Hi,

on expedia i can get

14 nights fantasy world resort (villa)
direct flights with virgin
private sedan travel to and from airport
14 day ultimate disney tickets
14 day 2 park bonus US tickets (i assume this means i can go for 14 days not just choose 1 day? expedia made me choose a date but i guess thats a start date for the tickets?)

for £4811 (minus quidco)

is this a good deal do you think?

my only concerns are travel to supermarket if i wanted to do that, and travel to US from disney.

is there anything else to consider?

thanks

Don't know anything about the resort but reading a few reviews they look to be condominium/townhouse type properties rather than true villas.

Resort fee: USD 12.50 per accommodation, per night, another $175 over 14 nights.

No idea about bus service to that area, taxis will be expensive every day, it would really need to be a car IMO.

No, everywhere is different, Disney have no resort fee or free parking.

We used to stay at the Marriott village, they have introduced a parking fee last year (but still no resort fee)

This year staying at Hilton Garden Inn in July then in Sept at Wyndham Bonnet creek, neither have resort fees, parking fees or WiFi fees.

I don't recall paying a resort fee in all the trips we have done. A couple of times had parking fees and a couple with Wifi fees but I try stay at places that quote fully inclusive prices, I dislike anywhere that adds fees ontop. Although if the rate is low enough I wouldn't mind.

Hi,

on expedia i can get

14 nights fantasy world resort (villa)
direct flights with virgin
private sedan travel to and from airport
14 day ultimate disney tickets
14 day 2 park bonus US tickets (i assume this means i can go for 14 days not just choose 1 day? expedia made me choose a date but i guess thats a start date for the tickets?)

for £4811 (minus quidco)

is this a good deal do you think?

my only concerns are travel to supermarket if i wanted to do that, and travel to US from disney.

is there anything else to consider?
also you cant be in both disney and universal at the same time so do you need 14 day tickets to both parks? surely over a 14 day holiday you will only be getting half the use from each ticket

the us pages have shorter duration tickets that might shave a bit more off the price

thanks
becci

I realise that this resort may provide free transport to Disney, US & SW but you should check the times and frequency - Whilst buses take you everywhere onsite at Disney it is a continual service that runs direct to each and every park all day -

Your scheduled transport offered will probably be one early and one mid morning bus that will only take you to the ticket & Transport Centre - from here you will need to transfer to Disney buses/ferry/monorail to get to an actual park.

If you do opt to stay offsite - I would recommend that you get a car especially with children - it is very easy to burn out and having gone to a park and arrived at 10am if the kids are tired you could be waiting till 8pm to get a bus back to your resort - rather than being able to jump in the car or head quickly back to a disney resort.

Having thought and thought I am going to go with the majority advice and stay at Disney but one of their cheaper options. I will most prob book everything separate and hopefully get a good saving that way. Are there any perks to booking with Disney direct?

Having thought and thought I am going to go with the majority advice and stay at Disney but one of their cheaper options. I will most prob book everything separate and hopefully get a good saving that way. Are there any perks to booking with Disney direct?

If you book with Disney UK this week they are offering 5% cashback on hotel/ticket reservations, a discount off the room and a $150 giftcard to spend. Plus the benefits below (most worthless)
Just checked 14th-28th May, cheapest they have is Pop Century, with your 14 day passes. Total £2,003 less Quidco = £1902
With VA flight inclusive and same as above £4,504.32 less 5% = £4,279

For some reason they are not showing the cheaper All Star resorts, these are available on other sites like Expedia, you would have to price up buying flights & hotel sperate, see if any saving.

I have been having exactly the same discussion in real life with relatives, showing them the onsite values or offsite, I think they have opted for Hilton Garden Inn LBV with car.

Exclusive Magical Extras: FREEEARmails ServiceDisney Store merchandise discount at disneystore.co.uk$150 Disney Gift Card20% off 'Characters in Flight' morning tripsSplitsville Luxury Lanes - 10% off merchandiseSplitsville Luxury Lanes - 10% off foodSplitsville Luxury Lanes - 10% off bowling (conditions apply)Wolfgang Puck Cafe - 10% offPlanet Hollywood® Dining CertificateLittleMissMatched - 15% off merchandiseCurl by Sammy Duvall - 10% off merchandiseBasin - 10% off merchandiseWalt Disney World Marina DiscountsSammy Duvall Water Sports Centre - 10% offPortobello's Yacht Club® - 10% offFulton's Crab House® - 10% offGhirardelli® - 10% offHouse of Blues - 10% off merchandiseHouse of Blues - 20% off lunch or dinnerPlanet Hollywood® Souvenir Merchandise Keepsake

Thanks, the dates I've decided on are Mon 19th may to Mon 2 jun as its only 1 week and 1 day off school then as half term week is 26th may. But having said that if Thur 15th for 2 weeks is cheaper that's same difference school wise

wow the true cost of this holiday is hitting me. to get from Yeovil to Gatwick the coach is 5 hrs, the train is over £200 return and a cab is even more. even self drive and parking (not our preferred way as we have a small car) is over £100 plus fuel!

wow the true cost of this holiday is hitting me. to get from Yeovil to Gatwick the coach is 5 hrs, the train is over £200 return and a cab is even more. even self drive and parking (not our preferred way as we have a small car) is over £100 plus fuel!

£100 for parking?

I use http://www.quidco.com/park-and-go-uk-airport-parking/
They have 15 nights Valet parking for £55.50 less 12% = £48.84

They take your car at the terminal and bring it back to you when you land back, I always use this service now, far easier then park and ride.

£100 for parking?

I use http://www.quidco.com/park-and-go-uk-airport-parking/
They have 15 nights Valet parking for £55.50 less 12% = £48.84

They take your car at the terminal and bring it back to you when you land back, I always use this service now, far easier then park and ride.

brilliant i didnt see that.

so i have seen all star music £757 (as youve shown me) and flights on virgin website cheapest i could see were £2439 so without quidco thats £3196 against the travel agents quote of £3369. i can get disney and universal tickets for £1488 on travel republic so total except parking and insurance is £4684 but then could get quidco.

its only the flights letting us down now really - can these be had cheaper?

the disney resort also has free transfer from airport which is really handy

brilliant i didnt see that.

so i have seen all star music £757 (as youve shown me) and flights on virgin website cheapest i could see were £2439 so without quidco thats £3196 against the travel agents quote of £3369. i can get disney and universal tickets for £1488 on travel republic so total except parking and insurance is £4684 but then could get quidco.

its only the flights letting us down now really - can these be had cheaper?

the disney resort also has free transfer from airport which is really handy

If you are looking at 14th -28th then BA are now cheaper.
Tripsta.co.uk have them at £2,295.08 although I have never used them.
Direct with BA £2,369.08 less a little Quidco (£7.50?)

The hotel is not a massive saving over Disney UK hotel and ticket deal.
Buying All stars Music, I estimate around £1,800 after cashback

Pop Century on Disney.co.uk is £2003, less 5% quidco and you get $150(£90) to spend. Works our around same price as buying the above seperate so its down to which hotel you would prefer.

Thanks again pop century seems better yes I'll have to work it all out tomorrow. Is there anything else a first time traveller would need to know? Even if it seems obvious I may not know about it!

having thought about it some more i am going to forget going to US as there isnt that much there for my kids to make it worth £500 IMO. My wife really wants to go to seaworld so we can do that instead which i assume is cheaper (hopefully!).

next time if by some miracle we go again in a few years i can do space center and US

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter