Disneyland ending AP program as we know it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do WDW and DLR differ so much when it comes to APs? I realize the size of the parks is a major reason, but why do so many less Florida locals get APs? Is it because the entire state of FL gets a discount for tickets? In CA only the people in So Cal get discounts, the rest of us are stuck paying full price or getting an AP and then needing to pay for transportation and lodging.
There are a lot more people that live within a 2 hour drive of Disneyland than Disney world. There are 10 million people in LA county alone.

There was a gas station in my home town that opened up right around when I got my license 15 years ago. They had a program that with every 50 gallons of gas you bought, you’d get 5 gallons for free. It lasted for about 10 years, and they no longer have that program. Are people picketing that gas station for taking away that rewards program? No.

If a deal is too good to be true (Very reasonably priced APs), chances are it won’t last forever. If a company gives you something for free (FP+, DME), chances are it won’t be forever.

MoviePass was too good to be true. And they’re out of business because of that model

We don’t know what will come of the next DL membership program, but people will undoubtedly pay for it. There’s like a 15 year waitlist for Club 33, a membership that costs a lot in not just an initiation fee, but also a yearly fee.

Considering Disney has by far the highest prices on aps in the industry I wouldnt quite call them reasonable.

Considering Disney has by far the highest prices on aps in the industry I wouldnt quite call them reasonable.
Disney also has the most parks available for those passes. Your arguments don’t add up. Why would they be comparable to UO when UO only has 2 parks to WDW’s 4. Or UH has 1 to DL’s 2. Name me another theme park in the United States where you can get an AP that is good for 4 parks, AND all of those 4 parks are located within 10 minutes of each other.

Why do WDW and DLR differ so much when it comes to APs? I realize the size of the parks is a major reason, but why do so many less Florida locals get APs? Is it because the entire state of FL gets a discount for tickets? In CA only the people in So Cal get discounts, the rest of us are stuck paying full price or getting an AP and then needing to pay for transportation and lodging.

No idea. But in my experience, DL is much better run. Who knows what it will be like when they reopen.

Some of it is how it "grew up" and the area around it grew too. Disneyland is where it is because of where the studios and Walt were. WDW was designed as a vacation destination with the hotels being part of the opening of it. And just designed to travel there for a few days and staying there, etc - and then became popular for international travelers ... Just much more design around traveling there for a week as your vacation for the year ... Not a place to go on the Weekend or your day off or after work like DLR is

And then over time the passoholders as DLR sort of felt ownership of the park and the history of the park and like a "member" of something and sort of built on itself.

Disney also has the most parks available for those passes. Your arguments don’t add up. Why would they be comparable to UO when UO only has 2 parks to WDW’s 4. Or UH has 1 to DL’s 2. Name me another theme park in the United States where you can get an AP that is good for 4 parks, AND all of those 4 parks are located within 10 minutes of each other.
Cedar fair gold pass gives me entrance to all 17 parks for $200. Now granted, you aren’t hitting parks in the north in the winter, so you’re only getting 6 months give or take out of it. And no, they are not all within 10 minutes of each other, but that is more than 4 times the number of parks for less than 20% of the cost.

They are the most expensive theme park annual passes in the country. Obviously they are selling passes, so people think they are worth their price tag, but there is definitely room to argue whether they are really “reasonably” priced.

Reactions: cm8
Cedar fair gold pass gives me entrance to all 17 parks for $200. Now granted, you aren’t hitting parks in the north in the winter, so you’re only getting 6 months give or take out of it. And no, they are not all within 10 minutes of each other, but that is more than 4 times the number of parks for less than 20% of the cost.

They are the most expensive theme park annual passes in the country. Obviously they are selling passes, so people think they are worth their price tag, but there is definitely room to argue whether they are really “reasonably” priced.
Thats why I put the kicker of the within 10 minutes as I knew someone would quote a smaller park that links with other parks to give a bunch of choices for much cheaper. But you also have to put quality of the parks into consideration as well. Yes, I could get an AP to a smaller park (that will connect with a bunch of other smaller parks) but it’s not going to have everything that the 4 WDW parks are going to have.

Disney annual pass platinum $1200 ($400 per park), Universal premiere $510 ($255 per park).

Thats why I put the kicker of the within 10 minutes as I knew someone would quote a smaller park that links with other parks to give a bunch of choices for much cheaper. But you also have to put quality of the parks into consideration as well. Yes, I could get an AP to a smaller park (that will connect with a bunch of other smaller parks) but it’s not going to have everything that the 4 WDW parks are going to have.
It’s less than 20% of the cost for a Cedar Fair gold pass than a WDW AP. Sure there’s stuff at WDW that you can’t get at those parks, but is that extra really worth 80% more? Cedar point is arguably the roller coaster capital of the world, I can’t get that at WDW. I’m not sure I’d say that WDW is 80% better than even my local amusement park. (At least not in recent years when I feel like my WDW experience is decreasing.)

Would people buy a Universal Annual Pass for the price Disney were charging? The answer is very unlikely. Disney isn’t losing AP members, they’re actually gaining them. That’s why they can charge what they do while Universal has to charge less and offer more perks.

And just so we’re clear, I love universal. Hagrids and Spider-Man are probably the best rides in the country. I just got an AP for Universal because of Hagrids (and Velocicoaster). And Halloween Horror Nights is hands down the best Halloween related thing I’ve ever been to and have gone the last 5 years that it’s been held in full. But all encompassing, it’s not Disney, and there’s no way they could justify the price if they raised it to equal Disney’s. They can throw all the shade at Disney they want, but at the end of the day they wish they could charge the same and people would still go, but they can’t, so they dont

Last edited:
Would people buy a Universal Annual Pass for the price Disney were charging? The answer is very unlikely. Disney isn’t losing AP members, they’re actually gaining them. That’s why they can charge what they do while Universal has to charge less and offer more perks.
Yep, there are plenty of people who are mad that they can't buy a Disney AP. Most of these are out of state so they'd be paying for the Platinum pass

I don’t understand why Gucci doesn’t sell their goods in the same price range as Old Navy. They’re both clothes, frankly I think Gucci is going to lose a ton of business considering I can get so much more at Old Navy for my money.

(Love you, Old Navy, sorry for any hurt feelings)

I don’t understand why Gucci doesn’t sell their goods in the same price range as Old Navy. They’re both clothes, frankly I think Gucci is going to lose a ton of business considering I can get so much more at Old Navy for my money.

9361EFCF-B9DB-4498-8245-6062A03668D3.jpeg

Just waiting on the remainder of that $2,000 stimulus

And just so we’re clear, I love universal. Hagrids and Spider-Man are probably the best rides in the country. I just got an AP for Universal because of Hagrids (and Velocicoaster). And Halloween Horror Nights is hands down the best Halloween related thing I’ve ever been to and have gone the last 5 years that it’s been held in full. But all encompassing, it’s not Disney, and there’s no way they could justify the price if they raised it to equal Disney’s. They can throw all the shade at Disney they want, but at the end of the day they wish they could charge the same and people would still go, but they can’t, so they dont

You said they were reasonably priced. By industry standards, they are not. Just because some people can afford to spend $1200 on an annual past, doesnt make it reasonable for most or justify a price increase.

Yes, you can sell a product for $2400 and then you will only need to have half as many purchased to net even. Its what the yankees did with their new stadium. At some point (likely now) people will feel like you are gouging them and the magic will be gone forever.

You said they were reasonably priced. By industry standards, they are not. Just because some people can afford to spend $1200 on an annual past, doesnt make it reasonable for most or justify a price increase.

Yes, you can sell a product for $2400 and then you will only need to have half as many purchased to net even. Its what the yankees did with their new stadium. At some point (likely now) people will feel like you are gouging them and the magic will be gone forever.

People have been saying this for decades.Those same people still continue to show up at Disney.

Yankee tickets, the ones I believe you’re referencing are overpriced, which is why they’re empty. You can sit in a different section for cheaper, or you can watch the game at home. You can’t enjoy a day at Disney from home. Not even from YouTube POVs.

As I said earlier, the best example of Disney fans willing to pay whatever you ask them to is staring you straight in the face with Club 33. Raising ticket prices will deter some people, but never enough to not justify it from Disney’s end

Last edited:

But I don’t know anyone who argues that Gucci is reasonably priced. That’s not a selling point of Gucci, and I would argue, Disney APs.

People have been saying this for decades.Those same people still continue to show up at Disney.

Yankee tickets, the ones I believe you’re referencing are overpriced, which is why they’re empty. You can sit in a different section for cheaper, or you can watch the game at home. You can’t enjoy a day at Disney from home. Not even from YouTube POVs.

As I said earlier, the best example of Disney fans willing to pay whatever you ask them to is staring you straight in the face with Club 33. Raising ticket prices will deter some people, but never enough to not justify it from Disney’s end

So why not just charge $500 for a single day ticket since some people can afford it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter