Disneyland cancels Eastern Gateway, more parking and hotel

DLH had been our go-to onsite hotel, but with mega construction project, I am thinking we may return to GCH for the duration. They've spiffed up the rooms over there too. I bet they boost GCH pricing though.
I would expect prices to jump for GHC and significantly lower for DLH during the construction time. For people who don't spend much time at their hotel, DLH actually might be a good option during that time. Those who want to enjoy any laid back time will want to avoid DLH.

Yes Adventure Tower suddenly went from most desirable to least. In the short term, while new hotel is under construction, it is certainly going to be less pleasant to be a DLH guest. Getting back and forth through or around the new construction site will not be magical. During the day, they'll be building a huge hotel right next door and so likely midday naps and rest time (especially for those in Adventure T) will be noisy. Monorail will likely be down for some amount of time while they redo the DTD platform to integrate into new hotel.

DLH had been our go-to onsite hotel, but with mega construction project, I am thinking we may return to GCH for the duration. They've spiffed up the rooms over there too. I bet they boost GCH pricing though.
When does the construction begin? I have a reservation for Jan 23 for my birthday, but the scenario you describe really makes me want to rethink that if construction will have begun at that time.

When does the construction begin? I have a reservation for Jan 23 for my birthday, but the scenario you describe really makes me want to rethink that if construction will have begun at that time.
The Disney Parks Blog post says construction begins summer 2018 - So you are good for January. I go in the summer though and so am thinking ahead.

The Disney Parks Blog post says construction begins summer 2018 - So you are good for January. I go in the summer though and so am thinking ahead.
Thanks! It will be interesting to see what happens with reservations for the hotels and things like Dapper Day next year.

The article talks about some of the restaurants possibly being relocated inside the hotel. I sure hope they find someplace for Earl of Sandwich. It's one of our favorites!
I just can’t see EOS in a 4 diamond hotel.

It looks like it will be between the DLH and this new hotel. In the picture it's a white tent looking thing in the middle of the new hotel close to the DLH.
I can't see that happening. So many people go to the DLH for Goofy's Kitchen and Trader Sam's. I'm guessing that is where the security will be, right in between DLH and this new hotel.

I don't think security can be between the hotels. They can't put a hotel inside security - they'd have to check everyone's suitcases. :) Security would have to be between the new hotel and the monorail entrance.

We're booked on the ABD leading into memorial day and I added a couple nights at DLH afterwards... now I am thinking that was not a great idea. Hopefully they clarify when in summer better soon so we can plan around it!

I've only seen protesters outside PPH and I've never seen the latter two. Homeless people, sure, but not actual panhandlers, and never missionaries. And even if we did, who cares?

We had a guy with a young kid holding a sign saying he had a family of 5 and needed money for food every night at closing on the walk between the gate and the Caslte Inn

I would be interested in knowing what percentage of onsite guests are families with young children. I would bet that most of these families are staying offsite due to the exorbitant cost of the onsite hotels. And I do not believe that Disney cares much about these folks. They want to attract more adults with money to the resort.

That’s a big assumption that families with young kids don’t have the money to stay on site any more than any other group.
Secondly families with young kids are where a core amount of other spending is done. BBB, balloons, bubble wands, teddy bears etc all adds up with good profit.
We are also more likely as a family with young kids to do the WOC desssert party, BB F! Packages etc because the cost is worth avoiding the hassle with the kids where as a couple it was nothing to sit and relax and wait.

There seem to be several who agree with this, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I also think it that closing the East entrance is a big middle finger for all the visitors who can't afford to stay on-site.

And that is a big risk for them, they need those people too, they don’t have enough rooms for everyone even if people did want to stay onsite.

That’s a big assumption that families with young kids don’t have the money to stay on site any more than any other group.

Agreed. The families from Seattle, Portland, and the Bay Area are loaded and plenty of cash to pay the high prices Disney is charging.

We can easily afford to stay onsite, but I find the rates insulting. I love DLR and love to watch my grandchildren enjoying themselves. If I thought staying onsite would enhance their joy enough to justify the charges, I would do it. But I see no proof of that. It seems that the onsite hotels are always full, so the only reason for the ridiculous rates has to be the money.

1. DLR desperately needs a third park to deal with the stupid-crazy crowds they now have. .... And they build another hotel. Brilliant!!! That'll make EMH absolutely worthless.
To a large degree DLR is a victim of its own success. And the AP program Disney keeps changing and raising rates to cut down on the number of APs and they still keep buying and coming. For sure this is a good problem to have (wouldn't anyone want too many customers???). But it is a problem.

I suspect the 3rd park is still out there on the drawing board. But the timing is not right yet. First, going back a few years, DCA had to be fixed before a 3rd park was built. Disney did that.

Then there was DL. No major new rides in 24 years since Indy was opened (by the time SWL opens in 2019 - Indy opened in 1995). Lots of improvements and upgrades for sure, but DL was in desperate need of something big and new. And Star Wars Land needed a home and fits much better into DL than DCA. So the focus is now on Star Wars Land. At DL. I cannot argue with that.

Now DL is trying to figure out how to handle the SWL crowds. Parking for sure. FP becoming MaxPass. More Disney hotels are like money in the bank for them. The new hotel would have happened anyways regardless of the eastern gateway.

Bottom line is I think Disney has made the right decisions here. I disagree they should have started a 3rd park in the middle of all this. After SWL a 3rd park will make sense. It is something they could announce at D23 Expo 2019 after SWL is open.

2. I do love that at WDW, there's a bubble from all the Disney hotels. Will this bring that bubble feeling to DLR??? Or is it just adding more rooms that we'll NEVER EVER be able to afford?
It will bring more of a bubble but not much more so than it is now. A 3rd park by the way will not add to the bubble as it will be across city streets away from the current DLR an no easy way to connect it into the bubble. Not no way to connect it at all. Just no easy way.

IMO the high rates for DLR hotels has much more to do with supply and demand (the hotels seem to be always full even at the high rates) and with the higher costs in Southern Cal than in Orlando.

3. They're taking out Rainforest Cafe??? I really hate this. That's a must do on nearly every trip we take. The food is better than most everything inside a Disney park (not hard), and they do theming there that's better than most DL restaurants. (And Earl was a fave before Celiac disease - hate this for everyone)
RFC can be moved and IMO most likely will if it needs to be removed from the current location. Maybe it could be worked inside the new hotel in some way.

4. This will make the DLH a second tier hotel - though the prices will never reflect that. With completely blocked views of the park, and a blocked walk to the parks, DLH should see prices fall to PPH levels. But you know it never will.
The DLH hotel has like 10-12 floors doesn't it? The lower floors have no views anyways and nothing will change here. The higher floors do have views from some of the rooms and from what I can see the new hotel will not change that.

5. With 4 hotels, will Disneyland now switch to the WDW method of FPs and allow their hotel guests to book FPs 30-60 days in advance? I'd like to think they wouldn't, but I'd bet money that they will.
I seriously doubt that. FP+ just will never work at DLR and, to their credit, Disney seems to understand that. And expansion of MP seems more likely but they will need a much better WiFi infrastructure around DLR to make MP the default option.

6. Could they have at least themed it? I mean, it looks like just another blah hotel like PPH and DLH. They should've taken a page out of WDW playbook and created a resort hotel that provides an escape/bubble feeling. They got it right with Grand Cali. They're getting it wrong here. I'd rather stay at Legoland Hotel than PPH, DLH, or this new one. Why? It's all about THEMING! It's amazing to me that th DL imagineers are missing this.
It looks to me like you can't make up your mind whether you want something that increases demand (and increases prices) or increases supply (and lowers prices). A new, cool themed hotel would be a premium destination for Disney fans and would be even more expensive (for guests) as a result. A more bland hotel would, on the other hand, add lots of hotel rooms and would not have the same premium destination feel and thus would not drive prices up as much as it would not be as desirable. Disney fans would be fine just staying offsite on Harbor or some of the nicer places down around Katella.

The Value hotels at WDW have weaker theming. The better themed hotels there are definitely the Deluxe hotels. Even the WDW Moderates do not have that great of theming (except, as I understand, the new Art of Animation). What you are asking for based on WDW is another Deluxe hotel along the lines of GCH (the only true DLR deluxe). And that would carry GCH prices (or higher, since it would be new).

I agree a new Deluxe at DLR with great theming would be cool but would argue it would be best if they built a 5th hotel along the lines of a WDW Value at the same time so they could cater to both ends of the guest spectrum. Maybe they have some of those things in mind when they build a 3rd park???

:wizard:

It will bring more of a bubble but not much more so than it is now. A 3rd park by the way will not add to the bubble as it will be across city streets away from the current DLR an no easy way to connect it into the bubble. Not no way to connect it at all. Just no easy way.

I always thought Orange County California is one giant bubble. It is one of the richest counties in the entire country. Sure pockets of poverty but they are very isolated. Compare this to many areas in the rest of the country where the entire city is going down the drain.

I always thought Orange County California is one giant bubble. It is one of the richest counties in the entire country. Sure pockets of poverty but they are very isolated. Compare this to many areas in the rest of the country where the entire city is going down the drain.
Well if you want to go down that path one could argue the entire United States is a giant bubble. Lots of first world problems. Lots of time to come to places like this and express strong reactions to new hotels at theme parks.

The Value hotels at WDW have weaker theming. The better themed hotels there are definitely the Deluxe hotels. Even the WDW Moderates do not have that great of theming (except, as I understand, the new Art of Animation). What you are asking for based on WDW is another Deluxe hotel along the lines of GCH (the only true DLR deluxe). And that would carry GCH prices (or higher, since it would be new).

AOA was at least originally a value, and I don’t think that can change based on the theming (which is amazing) the size of the rooms atc is a big part of it, location is another, lastly the design of the pool, while super cute at AOA has nothing on even the moderates which start having the slides etc
As far as the moderates not having themes, Port Orleans has great theming, so does Caribbean beach (which also has fun pirates themed rooms as well)

I personally would rather see Disney having more of a Disney theme to its hotels ala AOA

Question: if they did choose to close the East entrance, would that be a potential security issue should they need to evacuate people quickly?

Question: if they did choose to close the East entrance, would that be a potential security issue should they need to evacuate people quickly?

They can't close the east entrance. Where would all of the buses drop people off?

We can easily afford to stay onsite, but I find the rates insulting. I love DLR and love to watch my grandchildren enjoying themselves. If I thought staying onsite would enhance their joy enough to justify the charges, I would do it. But I see no proof of that. It seems that the onsite hotels are always full, so the only reason for the ridiculous rates has to be the money.

Why are the rates "insulting"? I wouldn't ever chose to pay them but I always felt they need to set the room rates at a level that balances supply and demand. I just refuse to pay $500+ at the Grand when the last time I stayed at the Poly in Florida I paid $189 per night.

They can't close the east entrance. Where would all of the buses drop people off?
I have seen conjecture about a potential new dropoff spot on the west side.

I sure hope it's not true. That would make that area a nasty mess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter