Disneyland at Christmas/Holiday Season Superthread #3!- HOLIDAYS BEGIN 11/12/13!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone either soothe my worries and tell me we'll be fine without reservations or tell me that I'm nuts to even think I'll be fine and to make reservations immediately? :lmao:

Well...um...err..it kind of depends on when you want to eat and where you want to eat...

You'll be going during a busy time of the year and on the weekend when there are a fair amount of guests (Sat/Sun were the busiest days during my last trip). You'd probably have better luck getting a walk-up at the DTD or hotel restaurants (except character meals and probably Steakhouse 55 and Napa Rose).

I know that Carthay Circle was turning away guests at dinner time (7:00 pm-ish) on Sunday if you did not have a reservation (the lounge was also at capacity).

Blue Bayou was turning away guests every day of the trip. They said you could check back for a cancellation, but they weren't taking walk-ups or making day of reservations.

Big Thunder BBQ was taking walk-ups at dinner, but the wait was 45+ minutes at dinner time (5:00 pm-ish).

I didn't try for the other places. I think, overall, if you know you want to eat at a certain table service location at a specific time, you should make a reservation. If you're flexible and/or don't mind eating at odd hours, you can probably find some location that is taking walk-ups.

Well...um...err..it kind of depends on when you want to eat and where you want to eat...

You'll be going during a busy time of the year and on the weekend when there are a fair amount of guests (Sat/Sun were the busiest days during my last trip). You'd probably have better luck getting a walk-up at the DTD or hotel restaurants (except character meals and probably Steakhouse 55 and Napa Rose).

I know that Carthay Circle was turning away guests at dinner time (7:00 pm-ish) on Sunday if you did not have a reservation (the lounge was also at capacity).

Blue Bayou was turning away guests every day of the trip. They said you could check back for a cancellation, but they weren't taking walk-ups or making day of reservations.

Big Thunder BBQ was taking walk-ups at dinner, but the wait was 45+ minutes at dinner time (5:00 pm-ish).

I didn't try for the other places. I think, overall, if you know you want to eat at a certain table service location at a specific time, you should make a reservation. If you're flexible and/or don't mind eating at odd hours, you can probably find some location that is taking walk-ups.

Thank you for the tips. Because of my husband's gluten free restrictions, we were thinking of trying Tortilla Jo's and PCH Grill. Both are new to me, so I'm unsure if either needs lunch reservations.

Thank you for the tips. Because of my husband's gluten free restrictions, we were thinking of trying Tortilla Jo's and PCH Grill. Both are new to me, so I'm unsure if either needs lunch reservations.

Unless something has changed since I last checked, PCH Grill doesn't serve lunch.

If you have special dietary needs and/or are going on a weekend or holiday time, then it might be helpful to have a few meal reservations to lessen the waiting for meals.

aidensmom31 -

I suspect that even if you didn't have so much to do, these last few days would pass quickly -- because you're so close to the trip!:cool1: You will have an amazing holiday stay!:banana:

They are flying by. I am packing right now....we ok really I have the bags out and am procrasinating by being on Disboards but its progress sorta :) I am like a little kid getting super excited....I keep saying to my son, guess what we will be doing in X number of days....he rolled his eyes at me :rolleyes1 and reminded me I needed to pack :crazy2: He knows I hate to pack so he was laughing pretty hard :rotfl2:

Unless something has changed since I last checked, PCH Grill doesn't serve lunch.

If you have special dietary needs and/or are going on a weekend or holiday time, then it might be helpful to have a few meal reservations to lessen the waiting for meals.

Thanks for the heads up on PCH Grill! Upon further inspection, I'm thinking Storyteller's might be a better option.

Just wanted you all to know we are back safely and in the real (and COLD!) world! I'll post details of our trip in another day or two once I finish getting everything put away, the laundry done and figure out my Christmas gifts that I've done NOTHING about!! :rotfl2:

We made it! Our first morning and we spent it at CA for EMH. Wide right got us on RSR within five minutes. Then we headed over to TSM for a couple rides. My son beat us every time! CA Screaming was down so we rode Goofy Sky School twice. It is much scarier in the front! We rode Jumping Jellyfish which is like a very mild TOT. Very mild, but it still terrified my DD who is 15. She has a height thing. We are trying to help her with that! We hoofed it over to Soaring and grabbed fast passes. The line was 35 minutes. I still wonder if people don't understand that fast passes are free. Monsters Inc was calling our name so we got to ride that and see Roz in her jolly hat. We watched The Muppet Show and then had an award winning hot dog, just a mid morning snack! I got that coupon which I am saving to get the Hidden Minnie Harvey's bag! After that it was off to use our fast passes on Soaring. I love that ride. We always ask for row one so no one has their feet in our view. We headed back to Carsland to eat at Flo's. The turkey is great and very merry this time of year. My DD loves the pasta salad. Real artichoke hearts! Now, you have to know that we are not commandos. Those days are over for me. But we did all this by eleven in the morning. EMH is the way to go, especially with holiday crowds. After a short rest we put on our bathing suits and shorts and headed to Grizzly. Ooh was that water cold!! We still rode it three times before we went back to the GCH and jumped in the hot tub. Now we are showered and waiting for room service to bring us some corn chowder while we watch A Christmas Story. The patio window is open to our wonderful view of Paradise Pier and i can hear folks screaming while they ride Goofy. Tonight we eat at WCT and then catch WOC using Hydro Guy's tips. Oh my, what a wonderful first day. I am so relaxed! Thank you everyone for helping us have this great adventure. We started counting down in August with the theme weeks and now we're here!

We made it! Our first morning and we spent it at CA for EMH. Wide right got us on RSR within five minutes. Then we headed over to TSM for a couple rides. My son beat us every time! CA Screaming was down so we rode Goofy Sky School twice. It is much scarier in the front! We rode Jumping Jellyfish which is like a very mild TOT. Very mild, but it still terrified my DD who is 15. She has a height thing. We are trying to help her with that! We hoofed it over to Soaring and grabbed fast passes. The line was 35 minutes. I still wonder if people don't understand that fast passes are free. Monsters Inc was calling our name so we got to ride that and see Roz in her jolly hat. We watched The Muppet Show and then had an award winning hot dog, just a mid morning snack! I got that coupon which I am saving to get the Hidden Minnie Harvey's bag! After that it was off to use our fast passes on Soaring. I love that ride. We always ask for row one so no one has their feet in our view. We headed back to Carsland to eat at Flo's. The turkey is great and very merry this time of year. My DD loves the pasta salad. Real artichoke hearts! Now, you have to know that we are not commandos. Those days are over for me. But we did all this by eleven in the morning. EMH is the way to go, especially with holiday crowds. After a short rest we put on our bathing suits and shorts and headed to Grizzly. Ooh was that water cold!! We still rode it three times before we went back to the GCH and jumped in the hot tub. Now we are showered and waiting for room service to bring us some corn chowder while we watch A Christmas Story. The patio window is open to our wonderful view of Paradise Pier and i can hear folks screaming while they ride Goofy. Tonight we eat at WCT and then catch WOC using Hydro Guy's tips. Oh my, what a wonderful first day. I am so relaxed! Thank you everyone for helping us have this great adventure. We started counting down in August with the theme weeks and now we're here!

Sounds wonderful to me!!

Yay! We are starting to get sooo excited. My dh and 4 kids are going to Disneyland for Christmas day only. I know that is a bit much, but his job is crazy and he only has the one day off. But still, that is awesome for us! My 8 year old is having her birthday celebrated there, but I am not sure which restaurant to go with? Any suggestions? We want to keep the cost manageable, and should I make reservations now? And another thing, should I order a cake for her, from where and any idea how much they cost?
I know this is a question filled post, but I want to make this the best Christmas we've ever had, and hopefully this will become a tradition. So, also, what are the mustsees at DL at Christmas time? Thanks a lot!!!:worship:

KCmike said:
Take a look at this family video entitled "Xmas Jammies" that has gone viral. It is pretty funny and cute all at the same time. ENJOY!!! http://youtu.be/2kjoUjOHjPI Now back to your regularly scheduled talk about Disneyland Christmas....;)

Very cute!

I would love to dress my family in XMas Jammies, but I would get a huge NO from the hubby. LOL

:-)

Sounds like a good day. Your room must be close to ours in the Villas. We hear the screaming from Goofy's ride too. We are behind the suspended swinging thing.

Had a good day today at DCA this morning. Went right to TSMM (thank you Carsland for taking the heat off one of our favorite rides) and rode 5 times without any wait. I dashed off at 9 to get Radiator Springs Racer PFs and boy was I surprised when the line for FPs was down Beuna Vista Street and down Hollywood Land all the way to the Anamation Academy. Our fastpasses were for 1 pm. Worked out nicely.

Went to our room to rest a bit before heading to DL and our Fantasmic! Dessert Package. We were told to check in a 5 and then come back at 8 when I purchased the tickets a month ago. What you really do is show up around 7 pm (for the 9 pm show) at the Rivers of America across from the Quarter Grill. We waited until the 8 pm check-in in the order we arrived and chose our seat. We were seated in the front row just left of center. The dessert was yummy and we liked our view and the chairs. We brought quite a bit of our dessert tray back to the room to snack on later. Very nice Cast Member bringing us unlimited beverages! The fireworks were cancelled due to winds.

Crowds: manageable in DCA, nuts crowded tonight in DL althought the wait times for Buzz were between 10 and 20 minutes and Star Tours 25-40 minutes with fastpasses still available in the evening.

Tksbaskets, we are right behind goofy. You must be right down the hall from us. Now I am going to ask anyone we see in the hall if they are you!! Good luck with the rain today. Maybe the crowds will die down at DL.

Our dinner at Wine Country Trattoria was a bust. We got there at 645 for our 700 slot. Waited until 720 for an outside table. Then waited with our menus until I got bummed and asked for help at 740. Finally got water and bread. Had to snatch oil from an empty table. Thirty minutes later and still no food. We just wanted to leave at that point. When food came it was meh. Sauce tasted like jar sauce from the market. But even though they sucked up most of our evening, they comped our meal!, we didn't ask them to, but accepted their kindness. At this point it was too late to get any kind of a good spot for WOC so we watched it from our balcony. It was still lovely. Now today we are off to DL EMH. Space mountain here we come.

Lucysmom, if I know your daughter (and I do know your daughter), then I know there must have been some sorta bribe involved to get her on Space Mountain. Should I be out car shopping for her :) ? Glad you guys are having such a great time! Is it raining? Could be worse, it's snowing here in Idaho!

Talk to ya soon,
Lucysdad

Very cute!

I would love to dress my family in XMas Jammies, but I would get a huge NO from the hubby. LOL

:-)

Its tradition around these parts that my wife gets us all Christmas Jammies but we certainly don't make a video out of it. I thought it was very well done though.

Breathtaking picture! I thought I had taken some nice pics of the castle lit up, but yours is gorgeous. Looks like a wide angle lens? How wide? And how did you get it so free of people? You must have been the last one out of the park!

-Bob

Thanks, yeah I think that was at 24mm (on full frame). I usually just hang around until everyone else clears out. During busy times (that shot was between Christmas and New Years) it can make for some pretty late nights!

It is rainy and chilly outside today. Perfect hot cocoa weather! It probably also means that some of the crowds have cleared out of Disneyland for a while, until the rain stops. This would be a great day to go into the GCH lobby and sit by the fire with a beverage.

Today is the moment of truth -- my card reader is supposed to arrive and I will find out once and for all if I will be able to download the almost 2200 photos that I took last week at DLR. I am praying the reader can read the card and that I don't have to take further steps to get to my photos! As it is it will be a Herculean task to upload them all to Photobucket, so it would be lovely if I could get them off of the card to be able to start that process!

In any case, there is at least one photo I wanted to post in this thread before Christmas but I have to view it in a larger window first, just to be sure it's not horribly out of focus or useless.:rotfl2:

Looking ahead to New Year's (because this is a general holiday season Superthread, and we cover New Year's too!), I got an email from Ralph Brennan's, about the Jazz Kitchen New Year's Eve festivities -- which sound like a lot of fun -- but when I tried to access what I thought was a link to the page, it was not active. There was no separate page for the Jazz Kitchen New Year's Eve stuff (yet). For now, I only have my email to refer to.

One of my New Year's Eve/Day traditions is to watch the Twilight Zone marathon on Syfy. This year, from like 12/27/13 on through 1/1/14, there will be a few marathons rolling out. Between the Breaking Bad marathon on AMC, the Walking Dead marathon on AMC, the Twilight Zone marathon on Syfy and the final days of Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas movies, I may never leave my TV!:rotfl2: For me, that is a bonanza o' good entertainment!

I may have to bust out the Peppermint Wonderland ice cream for all of these New Year's festivities!

Speaking of which...I wrote to Dreyer's (per the suggestion of the CM at Clarabelle's) to complain about the lack of Peppermint Wonderland in the ice cream shops around DLR. Dreyer's wrote back and basically blamed DLR, saying that the shops at DLR are independently owned and operated and it is up to each one to determine which flavors they want.:confused3:confused3

So, essentially, they lied. The ice cream shops in DLR -- Clarabelle's and Gibson Girl, in any case -- clearly want the peppermint ice cream. People have been going in to ask about it. They even had it for Christmas in July. Dreyer's stopped making the size that DLR needs/uses...which Dreyer's failed to mention, making it sound as if it is DLR's choice to not carry it. (I wonder if Dreyer's offered those shops a different, smaller size and DLR said no?) The mystery continues...

:santa::santa::santa:

figment_jii --

All Haunted Mansion Holiday photos are welcome here too, so thank you for posting them! I think of it as just as much a ride for the holidays as it is for Halloween Time. I think the main reason why it is sometimes associated more with Halloween Time than the holiday season is because it opens during Halloween Time...and because it's really one of the few big draws for the Halloween Time season, whereas there is a lot more going on during the holidays.

Jamian -- Great photo, as always!

:santa::santa::santa:

Kinda last minute- okay, very last minute- subbing! We are throwing together a quick trip right after Christmas. I know, I know... trust me, this is the anti-Patty plan! But I can't skip the Christmas decorations and stuff this year! I want to see it ALLLLL!!!

5 park days plus the Holiday Tour--- should be enough time to still ride some things if we plan for early mornings, right?

longhorns2 --

I think that TK already answered you, but I just wanted to say welcome!:cool1: Better late than never to join us, right?!

I think you'll get a lot done during those days, despite the crowds. The tour will help a lot with at least 3 of the rides, and the parade!

I will admit that I can be a crazy over-planner. My husband specifically asked that I NOT schedule every single aspect of our upcoming trip this weekend, as I have every other year we've been. I tried to hold to this, I really did. I know he and my son are very much "go with the flow" type of people and I'm probably a bit abnormal in my OCD planning, so I tried to be accommodating. That being said, the closer we get to our trip, the more I'm starting to worry! I have not ONE reservation made for meals. Nothing! It seems like such a bad idea not to have any reservations for any meals, especially at this time of year. :worried:

Can someone either soothe my worries and tell me we'll be fine without reservations or tell me that I'm nuts to even think I'll be fine and to make reservations immediately? :lmao:

elamarca -

I rarely make any reservations of any kind, but then again I stopped going to DLR on the weekend right before Christmas a few years ago. Reservations may be more necessary now, that close to Christmas, than they are when I go earlier in December.

I think it will be hit or miss. Some restaurants may end up turning folks away and some may be surprisingly open or available when you don't expect it.

I think that if you know when and where you want to eat for sure, it never hurts to make reservations -- especially for a busy time frame like the weekend before Christmas. However, you will be able to get tables at some restaurants if you walk up -- but you may have to wait a while to be seated. My issue is that I'm never 100% sure who will be with me or where I/we will feel like eating, or when, so I like to wing it and not be pinned down to a time. I have tried reservations in the past and they worked fine, but I'm just not always sure that making them is best for me.

I like Storytellers for lunch or dinner -- in fact, I almost ate there last week and didn't. I think you will enjoy it.

Yay! We are starting to get sooo excited. My dh and 4 kids are going to Disneyland for Christmas day only. I know that is a bit much, but his job is crazy and he only has the one day off. But still, that is awesome for us! My 8 year old is having her birthday celebrated there, but I am not sure which restaurant to go with? Any suggestions? We want to keep the cost manageable, and should I make reservations now? And another thing, should I order a cake for her, from where and any idea how much they cost?
I know this is a question filled post, but I want to make this the best Christmas we've ever had, and hopefully this will become a tradition. So, also, what are the mustsees at DL at Christmas time? Thanks a lot!!!:worship:

ItsmeHarmony --

Welcome!

Well, you said you want to keep the cost manageable, but I was originally going to suggest a character meal like maybe Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn for your daughter's birthday. There are lots of characters and a breakfast buffet. You've only got one day in the parks, so you'd already be in Disneyland if you ate there and wouldn't waste any time outside of the park. Otherwise, maybe the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ would be a good choice (it's right next to the Jingle Jangle Jamboree)?

I would try to make reservations now, if you can, although Plaza Inn is a walk-up/counter service restaurant (no reservations) outside of the character meal hours. The character meal takes reservations. That's Christmas Day, so I am assuming the restaurants -- especially the ones with special menu items that day, such as Carnation Cafe -- might be very busy.

I've never ordered a cake at DLR, but I've seen threads about it on this board in the past. I'm sure it's not entirely inexpensive, but hopefully it is delicious and worth it!

As for some ideas of what not to miss/must sees at Disneyland (I am assuming you're not going into California Adventure too?), I don't know how much of this you'll be able to get done but here are some ideas:

The lighting of the Winter Castle at night, when its icicle lights start to glow.

The light sprinkling of "snow" on Main Street every night.

The spectacular It's a Small World Holiday -- a full holiday overlay on the regular IASW ride, complete with thousands of brightly colored lights shining nightly on the facade and glorious decor inside the ride.

Haunted Mansion Holiday -- another extensive overlay on an existing ride, with a Nightmare Before Christmas theme.

Even though I wouldn't say it's a 'don't miss' attraction, you might want to check out Jingle Cruise -- the holiday-ized version of Jungle Cruise.

The Jingle Jangle Jamboree is fun, and it has cookie decorating, crafts, characters and music.

The Princess Fantasy Faire in Fantasyland is great for those who want some Princess time.

The Christmas Fantasy Parade and the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks.

Toontown, New Orleans Square, Frontierland, Critter Country, etc., all have special themed decorations (some more extensive than others). Pretty much every land in Disneyland -- with the exception of Tomorrowland -- has some sort of holiday decoration for the season.

If you leave Disneyland and venture into Downtown Disney and beyond...

There is an ice skating rink in Downtown Disney, complete with a cute little Winter Village featuring chalets that serve Ghirardelli goods and other treats.

Hi all ,

I apologize for the late report back , it has been beyond crazy here. I was sick when I left on vacation then both DH and I came down with something worse last Saturday so have been bed riddden since..but I'm better now so on with the show :)

Sat. 12/7 - We left the Bay area at 5am and since there was a chance the Grapevine would be closed for snow took 101 to Anaheim. I LOVED this route but I also wasn't the one driving, LOL.

We arrived at Hotel Indigo ( formerly the Holiday Inn Express on Katella) around 12:30pm and were warmly greeted and happy to find they had a room ready for us! We checked in quickly , dropped our bags off and headed to the park to renew our AP's.

Hotel photos :

I somehow blanked on getting photos of the bathroom - but It is a spa style shower - glass doors - we did not have a tub only shower , so unsure if other ones do. One sink but countertop space the size of a dual. Very roomy bathroom , larger than a closet lol.

We were pleasantly surprised how short the line was - it had rained and was windy but it was CP weekend so we were prepared for the worst. We were in and out of the line within 20 minutes and they still had our photos on file so no issues there !

I made 5:30pm reservations for Naples so we hit up HMH , Pirates , Jingle Cruise - which we REALLY enjoyed and spent the other time just walking around before dinner. Our skipper was a gem and hilarious. Not a true overlay but I enjoyed our ride.

We got to Naples around 5:10pm to check in and there were troves of people trying to get in everywhere for dinner..people were being told 1.5 hours for standby here and at other places..this is why I ALWAYS do reservations. I learned this the hard way before. I'm sure CP crowds contributed but still..reservations are the way to go. We were seated shortly after and our server was nice and attentive.

We first ordered an appetizer :
Panzerotti - Fried pizza dough filled with fresh mozzarella, artisan ricotta and Parmesan cheese, marinara sauce. These were LIGHT AND FLUFFY with the cheeses very smooth and delicious. It was not greasy at all despite being fried. We loved it and the marinara was some of the best we've had , very fresh and not overly acidic. It was wonderful.

I ordered the Lasgana :
It was filled with fresh seasoned beef and the noodles were lovely , the cheeses were just enough and not drowned in sauce. Awesome and would order again.

DH had the Chicken Parmesan :
It was surprisingly very lightly breaded and not greasy or heavy at all. It was a generous portion and was also delicious.

We decided to end the night early as it appeared fireworks would be cancelled anyway and wanted to miss the CP crowding to get an early start to Sunday. We arrived back at our hotel when we were relaxing when we suddlenly heard a loud "boom". Oh - so the fireworks did go off , so I decided to take a look outside to see if maybe we could see a glance of them.

To my surprise we saw this from our room :

We had no idea we had a fireworks view room or there were any at all. It was a very nice surprise our first night !

Sun 12/8 - We got an early start here and as we had breakfast included at our hotel decided to try it out. We were pleasantly surprised at the choices. It isn't a buffet but an order from the menu. I regret I didn't take a photo but choices included french toast , omelet to order , traditional breakfast with eggs and bacon , sausage or ham , pancakes as well.
The eggs were so light and fluffy , everything was very fresh and tasty. It was wonderful and also included our beverages. The orange juice was very tasty and fresh and our server arrived often to check on us even offering to go beverages if we would like.

Omelet with potatoes :

We were surprised by the relatively low crowds most of the day. We only spent about half a day in the parks as we had reservations at Steakhouse 55 at 6pm with friends. But we really never had more than a 20-30 minute wait and it never felt packed at all. It was rather pleasant.

We introduced a few friends to Steakhouse 55 and it was beyond wonderful.
My friend and I devoured 2 bottles of Rosa Regale by ourselves :hyper:
and tried the Calamari for the first time..It was awesome. I'm now a fan.
We also had the Ahi Tuna which was superb. The prime rib and filet entrees were a huge hit with everyone.

We also ordered the Root Beer Baked Alaska , Creme Bruelle and had a special desert for the DH's birthday. It was just was wonderful as the first time.

Mon. 12/9 -

We started in CA with friends who stayed at the GCH and stayed most all day for WoC. I admit the kids next to me that the parents were showving into me were being completely obnoxious as they just didn't seem interested that others might be trying to enjoy themselves. Once the show started they seemed calm..but the projections seemed off and 5 minutes in the show was cancelled. I do have to admit the highlight was the little boy going
"Mom..did Olaf melt ?" - my DH and I couldn't stop laughing. It was disappointing but we understand it can happen.

Tues. 12/10 - Friday 12/13 -

The rest of the trip was a blur due to me being sick..and getting worse but I will cover a few things. Crowds did seem to pickup on Wed and Thursday. Nothing terrible that we aren't used to. A few times we did see SM tick up to 70 minute standby or 45 minutes for HMH , but honestly we expect crowds at holiday/weekend time so we made the best use of fast passes or shows in between.

We did stake out parade seats for the first time ever and it was completely worth it. We sat on the curb just by main street in front of the train depot. The Christmas parade was fantastic and brought tears to my eyes.

We did manage to catch WoC with blue fast passes and loved this. We had never gotten the fast passes before but it worked out perfect.
I think we are in the minority when we say we really enjoyed it. "Let it Go" gets to me every time..it just really resonates personally with me. I still prefer the original WoC but this was really fun. And I loved Olaf!

Also a first was staking a spot for fireworks. We never seem to make time to get up close but I think on Tuesday or Wed. we found some standing room kind of to the slight left of the castle , though a tree semi blocking , but still offered a very good view. I was just..overcome with emotion watching this.
I just held my DH's hand while the snow fell and thought to myself..this..this right here is what I want to remember..always.

On Friday we had a special engagement at Burbank Walt Disney Studios for a showing of Saving Mr. Banks. I was so sick but determined to go. It was very surreal being there and an emotional experience.

We checked in and got a few photos of us and with Mary Poppins and Bert too!

The film is just fantastic..I cried so much watching this and can't recommend it enough. The tour was awesome as well..It was incredible and so glad we got to experience this all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter