Disney Wish: Valentine's 2023 First Cruise

sailornicole

Earning My Ears
Just got off the Disney Wish on Friday (February 13-17th sailing, stateroom #7142). It was our first Disney cruise for myself, my husband, and 9 year old daughter. Thank you Kathy Werling for helping us with our cruise and all my questions. She is great to work with!

Travel & Pre-stay (MCO Hyatt w/ Disney Transfer)
- We booked the Hyatt & Disney Transfer through our travel agent (Kathy) for the night before.
- Only one person from your group needs to go to the lobby/McCoy's around 8am to "check-in." They will need to know your hotel room number, ship stateroom number, and how many pieces of luggage they will be picking up form your room. They will assign you a character bus and tell you what time your whole group should meet up to board the bus.
- It was a little strange just leaving our luggage in our room as we left for the bus! But we checked out of our room, left it there, and then it arrived in our stateroom around 3pm.
- We were originally Boarding group #3, but were given a boarding group #1 card when we checked in at the port.

Nassau
- We spent the early morning in the pools, and my daughter was in absolute heaven swimming and watching the Funnel Vision. Her dream vacation right there.
- We did the Ardastra Gardens Excursion. The Gardens themselves were wonderful with the flamingo show with very friendly and informed staffed. I loved supporting conservation efforts. However, there was lots of waiting around for the group and buses. If we did it again, I'd probably just get our own taxi over there.

Castaway Cay
- We got the "Extreme Getaway" package with a Stingray Excursion at 11am. We didn't end up using the bikes.
- They don't provide sand toys, but we ended up purchasing some for around $26.
- Water wasn't too cold at the family beach, even though it was February. My husband and daughter brought their own full-size snorkel masks which they loved using more than the rental masks. I used the rental and it wasn't bad!
- Stingray Feeding was super fun, but the water was a lot colder compared to the family beach! My daughter was ready to be done after that and go back to the ship to warm up.

Dining
- We were a party of 3, main dining, and requested to be near the stage at Arendalle. We were not sat near the stage, but we did end up with our own table and near a window in Arendalle and 1923. The Arendelle window was right over Rapunzel and Pascal and we got to watch the ship pull away from Nassau and the sun set which was beautiful. We had an okay view of the stage even from far away. The characters could not make it back by our table, but there was an opportunity for all the kids to get up and dance around the room which brought them close to the stage to say hi. Just make sure they join in quick! The characters walk out quickly after, and my daughter was just a smidge too late to say hi to Elsa & Anna.
- My favorite foods were the papas bravas at Marceline Market, troll dessert at Arendelle, ribs at BBQ on pool deck, and the tortellini appetizer at 1923. In main dining, Lavendra was our waiter and gave great recommendations! Raffaella and Marcella (training) were great with the drinks and assisting as well!

Deck Shows
- We attended both the Sail Away Party and Pirates Night Parlay. For Pirates night, we got there very early and sat on top of the closed off Goofy's pool behind Pluto's pool (I think) behind the glass wall. It was the perfect location for the shows and fireworks.

Walt Disney Theater Shows
- We got to the shows right around 8pm each night (when doors open). Aladdin was the busiest night by far. I hear everyone talk about how great Genie is (and he was!), but my favorite actor was the Magic Carpet.
- We sat once on the main floor next to the production booth, once on the balcony, and once in the main floor way up front on the aisle. Best view and experience for me was main floor next to the booth. If your family doesn't like crowds, the queuing process up on the balcony is calmer and more organized. By the third night, my daughter was bound and determined to get up front on an aisle because during the shows confetti and/or bubbles come from the ceiling. It was my daughter's favorite part, and you miss out sitting on the balcony. Characters also come down the aisles during the shows.
- They did premiere Ant Man & the Wasp Quantamania in the theater on our last night on the ship at 10:45pm.

Other Notes
- We "pixie dusted" valentines on Valentines Day, and so did many others. It was so much fun!
- The weather was absolutely gorgeous our whole trip. Not too hot, but still comfortable and sunny. The water both in the pools & beaches were chilly getting in but then comfortable. The only area we found too cold was the Stingray feeding cove!
- My kid didn't like the first time we dropped her off by herself at the Oceaneers club after the open house. However, we encouraged her to try again and then she loved it. She ended up doing lots of arts and crafts!
- My husband and I did the AquaMouse with no line after getting back on the ship a little early on Castaway Cay day (around 2:30pm). It was fun! However, my daughter would have hated it - it does squirt water in your face and has a long dark portion.

We were on this cruise as well, our 25th Disney cruise and our first time on The Wish, we loved it.
Completely different layout but we were getting use to it.
I was concerned about adult area, but it was lovely.
Can't wait to sail again.
We were pixie dusted on Valentine's evening, as well as our son and his family.
Can't wait to sail her again.

Last edited:
This was on our bed. There were two balloons, one had popped.
We sailed on Valentine's Day back in 2015, we didn't have this, so it was a nice surprise.

Attachments

• 29FB5D7E-9902-4A1B-850B-6971FC4367DF.jpeg
    29FB5D7E-9902-4A1B-850B-6971FC4367DF.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 8

Thanks for your report! How did the Extreme Getaway package on Castaway work? Were the stingrays the only scheduled part or did you have to show up at a certain time for the bikes, etc?

Thank you for the report. We plan to stay at the Hyatt and do the DCL transfers. Where do you catch the bus?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter