Disney Visa Questions

The Foolish Mortal

DIS Veteran
I finally broke down and got a Disney Visa card. Accumulating points seems pretty straightforward. And I assume I can redeem points by getting what, I assume, is a card akin to a Disney gift card. Is that correct?

Also, are there any other benefits? I see there is a cardholder meet and greet areas at Epcot and HS. I think I know where those are in those parks. And I see resort discounts periodically for card holder. Are there any other benefit I should be aware of? Thanks!

* If you do not have an AP there are shopping and dining discounts -

10% off select merchandise credit card purchases of $50 or more at select locations most days at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts and aboard Disney Cruise Line ships.*Same page link to Offer Details

10% off select dining locations most days at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts when you use your credit card to purchase.*

* Joffrey's 20% off - we use this one alot.

* ShopDisney discounts.

* If you use the card to pay for your vacation there are special pay off agreements (I've never used that).
Enjoy 0% promotional APR for 6 months on select Disney vacation packages ...

* The points can go to the Disney Rewards Card which looks like a Debit/Gift Card. You hold on to that and whenever you like transfer Reward Dollars on to it. You can have card sent to you in advance or get a card at GR and do the transfer online.

Disneyrewards.com will have all the details for you on rewards/benefits.

As far as the rewards, once you've accumulated enough, you can order a rewards card that works like a credit card. Once you have the card, you'll want to hang onto it even if you spend it so that you can reload it with future rewards. The threshold for reloading a card is lower than the threshold for ordering a card, and you can only have a total of two rewards cards.

I finally broke down and got a Disney Visa card. Accumulating points seems pretty straightforward. And I assume I can redeem points by getting what, I assume, is a card akin to a Disney gift card. Is that correct?

Also, are there any other benefits? I see there is a cardholder meet and greet areas at Epcot and HS. I think I know where those are in those parks. And I see resort discounts periodically for card holder. Are there any other benefit I should be aware of? Thanks!

Yes, when you're ready to use your points, you order a card (at the website or by calling) and transfer the points to it. I suggest only putting the minimum amount of rewards dollars required on the card when you first order it (I think the minimum is pretty low -- like $10) and transfer the full amount (or whatever amount you plan to use) to the card once you have it in your hands. You can do the transfer online. That way if the card gets lost in the mail and someone finds it, they won't be able to spend all of your redemption rewards.

As others have mentioned, there are merchandise and dining discounts available in the parks. Just be aware, in our experience, you have to have the physical Disney Visa card with you and use the Visa card or redemption card to pay for the purchases in order to get the discount. You can't use your magic bands or any kind of mobile payment methods even if those are linked to your Disney Visa. It has to be the physical card. I've seen people occasionally post that they didn't have to use their Visa to get the discount -- just had to show it. That has not been the case for us over the last 20 years and as recently as 2022. We had to use the physical Visa card (or redemption card) for the purchase.

I usually use all of our rewards dollars to pay off the package balance before we arrive so I don't have to deal with *another* card while we're in the parks.

And if you forget to request a card ahead of time, you can pick one up from city hall at MK.
I did this summer because the new card they sent me was lost in the mail. GR just hand you the card and paperwork then you have to call Chase. It was about a 10 minute phone call while they validated who I was and transferred all the monies from the other card to the new card ... but it was simple enough.

It’s not the best card to earn rewards, the cash back percentages are so low, you will most likely do better with other cards. I have the no fee version for resort discounts, it is good for that. And you only have to put down the deposit on the Disney Visa to get the discount. I use another card where I get 4% - 5% cash back for travel. And I can use that cash back for anything, Disney or whatever. The AP discount is 20% on merchandise, so better than the Disney card and I don’t have to spend $50 to qualify.

* If you do not have an AP there are shopping and dining discounts -

10% off select merchandise credit card purchases of $50 or more at select locations most days at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts and aboard Disney Cruise Line ships.*Same page link to Offer Details

10% off select dining locations most days at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts when you use your credit card to purchase.*

* Joffrey's 20% off - we use this one alot.

* ShopDisney discounts.

* If you use the card to pay for your vacation there are special pay off agreements (I've never used that).
Enjoy 0% promotional APR for 6 months on select Disney vacation packages ...

* The points can go to the Disney Rewards Card which looks like a Debit/Gift Card. You hold on to that and whenever you like transfer Reward Dollars on to it. You can have card sent to you in advance or get a card at GR and do the transfer online.
Thanks for posting this - I did not know about Joffrey’s and we got coffee there every day in June. I’ll make sure to use my card next trip 🙂👍🏻

What I like about the card is earning points while paying for my trip so I can redeem the points/dollars to use on my trip.

Every month I pay $500 towards next trip and then pay off the balance with each statement - I get the points from that - works out great! 🙂👍🏻

ETA - After the trip is paid off, I start buying gift cards for me to use on the trip and then I get points for that 🙂👍🏻

I have the one with no annual fee. It gives 1% in disney bucks. There are cash back cards with no annual fee that give 3% at grocery, gas, and dining which is much better (think of it as even more spending money) I got the disney card and spent money on it for the sign up bonus ($150) i think, and only used it to pay for the rhino tour, which saved 15%. You also get discounts at certain restaurants, but I’m pretty sure they are not quick service. I’ve seen package discounts if you book using the card.

Keep in mind for merchandise and food discounts at the parks/resorts, you MUST pay with your Disney Visa or your Redemption card at time of purchase. So you can't use your MagicBand to bill it to your room, even if your Disney Visa is the card on your account.

There may also be Disney Visa room specials from time to time. When they have those, We've been able to use the Disney Visa for the deposit to take advantage of the offer, then pay the balance any way we want (including Disney Gift Cards).

The full list of perks and benefits for at Walt Disney World can be found here -> https://disneyrewards.com/vacation-perks/walt-disney-world-perks/ more perks can be found via the menu on the left. The Table Service food discounts are not as expansive as they used to be (not as many restaurants are included), but there are still good options.

When you order your first redemption card and transfer dollars to it, do NOT lose that card! If you do, you will not be able to recover any funds that remain on it!! And keep it to reload after you've earned more rewards, but if needed you can always order another redemption card. You can also pick up a redemption card at Guest services in Disney Springs, and MK. You can transfer rewards to the redemption card in the Chase mobile app, or the web site, at any time. The transfer usually completes within a few minutes.

You can't combine the Redemption card with Gift Cards or other Redemption cards. (like my wife and I both had Disney Visa cards for a while, so we had to take both redemption cards with us to spend).

Since we are passholders, and get that discount, as a trick, we transfer the Rewards to the Redemption card, then at Disney, use the redemption card to buy a Disney Gift Card with the exact amount of the redemption card. We then enter the gift card to DisneyGiftCard.com so if we lose the gift card, we can still transfer the money to another gift card.

IF you have the $0 Annual Fee Rewards Visa, watch for the occasional offer bosting earning rewards in some categories to 2% and 3%. They did that earlier this year. It helped me earn extra for our trip in June.

Where is this located?
Epcot: daily 1-6pm The private Cardmember location at the
Disney Visa Photo Spot at EPCOT®
in Future World next to
Journey Into Imagination With Figment.

Hollywood Studios: Daily from 11:00am – 4:00pm. The private Cardmember location at the Star Wars Launch Bay in the Animation Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

You must show your Disney Visa card for entry. And photo downloads are free.

Epcot: daily 1-6pm The private Cardmember location at the
Disney Visa Photo Spot at EPCOT®
in Future World next to
Journey Into Imagination With Figment.

Hollywood Studios: Daily from 11:00am – 4:00pm. The private Cardmember location at the Star Wars Launch Bay in the Animation Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

You must show your Disney Visa card for entry. And photo downloads are free.
Thanks! Will do on our next trip.

Anyone know which characters are available for these currently? It's been a few years since we've Disneyed and have an upcoming trip. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter