disney trip insurance

smlev

Mouseketeer
Do most people purchase the trip insurance through Disney or a private agency? Doeas Disney cover the trip for severe weather troubles? Or if Disney has to cancel?

I notice that not getting it through DCL gives you more coverage for less money. Is this true? Anyone else notice this.

Joanna

Purchasing insurance directly with Access America (the company Disney uses to underwrite their insurance) is cheaper than buying through Disney, but the coverage is slightly less than Disney.

I bought through Disney on first trip, and directly through Access America for our upcoming trip.

I don't remember the coverage for Disney, but Access America is as follows:
Medical Expense Coverage - 10,000
Medical Transportation - 20,000 (I think Disney has 30,000)
Baggage Insurance - 750
Baggage Delay - 200
Travel Delay - 500
Missed Connection - 500
Buying more Blue Drinks on board with the $ I saved - Priceless

The cost is dependent on the price you paid for cruise. Go to their website to get quotes.

The one thing to remember - to get the prior condition waiver, you must purchase the insurance within 14 days of paying your deposit for Access America, its 30 days for Disney.

I just got a quote for access america, with the max they offer for our 10 night ncl, in came at 253.00 for the 4 of us, ncl wanted 99.99 each., I'll be buying a lot more drinks !:p

Why did DCL cancel? Did they contact everyone on the trip and offer a refund? So all I really need is insurance in case I cancel. I think American Express gives some trip insurance of their own, does anyone know if this true?

Do Not overlook one significant aspect of going directly to the carrier:

We did not book our flights through Disney

Because We booked directly through access america, We got our airfare covered as well as the cruise cost. This adds about $1,000 to the covered value.

It is true that certain coverage limits may be SLIGHTLY lower, but the likelihood those limits would be met would seem to be extremely low.

Bottom Line, I got my flights covered as well as my cruise for nearly 60% Less money.

You also need insurance in case someone should get sick or hurt and need medical evacuation which would be costly and not covered by your health insurance.

Thanks for your help. We are also booking our air separately, and Access America seems the way to go. They quoted us $100. less than going through Disney. The only problem is they ask for a cost per person and one of the people is my 3 year old son. obviously he is a much lower cost. I just gave them an average, because there was no way to break it down. What is the best way to purchase airline tickets? Orbitz.com?

Anyone know about the rates for seniors?

My parents are travelling with us....they need insurance...
What about the pre-existing condition thing? Is there a waiver with the disney insurance? Will the DCL insurance cover air? I know that when you go to the private ins carriers you can cover a dollar amount.... then what about the airfoare? What if someone becomes ill on the trip, does it cover medical needs(God forbid). What exactly is insured?
Any helpers out there??
Thanks in advance.

As for Seniors, when I traveled with my parents (70's)earlier this year, be booked 2 reservations (a cabin for them & 1 for us). They purchased the cruise line insurance b/c of their age. I purchased from insuremytrip.com (Travelex, I think). I think if one person purchases insurance, all have to. Rates (on insuremytrip.com etc)are usally age dependent. This is not so for the cruise lines. Therefore buying the cruise line insurance for seniors may be similarly priced (maybe cheaper) than independent insurance.
as for what it covers, have DCL send you the brochure. You may also be able to find out about the coverage on line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter