Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Crowds this week are definitely NOT incredibly low. Yes, the first few weeks of September were but these crowds are VERY heavy.
?? Official reports are that the crowds are level 3's and 4's this week (out of 10). Beginning of September were 1's and 2's. Yes, more crowded this week than the beginning of September, but definitely not "very heavy" and certainly much less crowded than Christmas and Spring Break will be...And all reports on these boards are that this past week has not been nearly has heavy as Septembers in years past.

?? Official reports are that the crowds are level 3's and 4's this week (out of 10). Beginning of September were 1's and 2's. Yes, more crowded this week than the beginning of September, but definitely not "very heavy" and certainly much less crowded than Christmas and Spring Break will be...And all reports on these boards are that this past week has not been nearly has heavy as Septembers in years past.
I imagine that once the "locals trying it out" period ends, Skyliner use will largely be driven by WDW resort occupancy, which varies little from quarter to quarter, including during low-park-crowd periods.

I imagine that once the "locals trying it out" period ends, Skyliner use will largely be driven by WDW resort occupancy, which varies little from quarter to quarter, including during low-park-crowd periods.
That was true for a long time, but the big news lately has been that this particular quarter has been VERY low compared to usual. Lots of incentives to try to get more people in the hotels. Riviera is also not open yet - which will certainly add to the crowds on the skyliner. Especially those traveling from HS, EP and other resorts to have dinner at the Riviera. I do think you're right that less locals will be using it in the future.

Last edited:

Given the huge number of guests using ECVs and that number seems to be growing constantly it seems like a massive oversight for them to not have come up with a way to load the Riviera line without having to stop for ECVs.
You're right, and also a large number of those ecv guests are using the device for the first time. I was one of those when my hip went out at Disneyland. I don't normally use a mobility device, and it wasn't a pretty sight at times. My son enjoyed the show though. :lmao:

Have you seen actual reports of people being able to take their stroller on unfolded? So far I’ve only seen reports of people having to fold their stroller to load despite what we heard and saw in the promo videos. Hoping this is not the norm. 😕
We were able to bring our regular size (single) stroller without folding. The child could have stayed in the stroller. But he wanted to sit on the bench
0516F8E8-1F93-42A0-970F-630CC2411489.jpeg

A9EE38C9-F0C6-4D9C-8201-7BC619C63BA8.jpeg

Last edited:
I just don’t see this happening. In fact, I think it will get even more crowded. People all over the world pay to ride gondolas as a leisure activity. If Disney continues to provide the gondolas for free to anyone who wants to use them, more and more people will continue to come. I hope Disney starts charging for guests not staying on property or at least guests without a park ticket.

To say that I am thrilled we are about to take our first stroller-free trip would be an understatement. Their use is invaluable when you need them, but the fact that we won’t be lugging one around anymore makes me giddy just thinking about it!!! It’ll make riding the gondola that much easier too!

People all over the world pay to ride gondolas as a leisure activity. If Disney continues to provide the gondolas for free to anyone who wants to use them, more and more people will continue to come. I hope Disney starts charging for guests not staying on property or at least guests without a park ticket.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Given how many times the Skyliner stopped yesterday, for extended periods of time, I'm not sure people are going to come to Disney just to take the chance of sitting in a small box high above the ground for half an hour. When it works, it's fun...but very slow. When it doesn't work...not fun at all.

2. Disney isn't doing any security for who gets on the Skyliner at all. They have no way at the present time to control who gets on.

Personally I think that's a bad idea and will in fact encourage locals to come on over and ride the Skyliner "just for fun", jamming up the lines for paying guests who are trying to get to the parks.

If I'd designed the system I would have recommended that everyone who rides the Skyliner scan in their MagicBand before boarding, the same way people do for Fast Passes. This way only people who are Disney resort guests can ride it. Locals who want to ride could, say, buy a 'Skyliner Pass' that they would scan to board.

I would be absolutely shocked if they attempt to control who boards the skyliner for crowd control not security. People ride for fun on the monorail, and I’m sure on the boats as well. Maybe there’s an odd duck or two who does this on the busses. Disney also doesn't stop guests from riding the resort monorail line and getting off at the TTC even when it’s packed with very long lines.

I bet Disney would love it people who otherwise wouldn’t be coming on property came for a skyliner ride. Not too far fetched to think they might buy something while there, make a day out of it and have a meal at one of the resorts, fall in love and book and stay for the future, maybe even pay for parking at DHS if they crack down at the resorts.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Given how many times the Skyliner stopped yesterday, for extended periods of time, I'm not sure people are going to come to Disney just to take the chance of sitting in a small box high above the ground for half an hour. When it works, it's fun...but very slow. When it doesn't work...not fun at all.

2. Disney isn't doing any security for who gets on the Skyliner at all. They have no way at the present time to control who gets on.

Personally I think that's a bad idea and will in fact encourage locals to come on over and ride the Skyliner "just for fun", jamming up the lines for paying guests who are trying to get to the parks.

If I'd designed the system I would have recommended that everyone who rides the Skyliner scan in their MagicBand before boarding, the same way people do for Fast Passes. This way only people who are Disney resort guests can ride it. Locals who want to ride could, say, buy a 'Skyliner Pass' that they would scan to board.

I agree. We’re all paying for it in the form of park tickets, DVC maintenance fees, hotel rates, etc. If you’re not staying onsite and/or have a park ticket, you can’t ride. It’s easy enough to enforce with MBs. Maybe this is the plan after it’s been running for a bit. Let everyone ride to check it out, then start charging once they’re hooked. I completely agree that charging for a Skyliner pass will go a long way with crowd control all the while making Disney more money.

I would be absolutely shocked if they attempt to control who boards the skyliner for crowd control not security. People ride for fun on the monorail, and I’m sure on the boats as well. Maybe there’s an odd duck or two who does this on the busses. Disney also doesn't stop guests from riding the resort monorail line and getting off at the TTC even when it’s packed with very long lines.

I bet Disney would love it people who otherwise wouldn’t be coming on property came for a skyliner ride. Not too far fetched to think they might buy something while there, make a day out of it and have a meal at one of the resorts, fall in love and book and stay for the future, maybe even pay for parking at DHS if they crack down at the resorts.

I agree that it isn’t the norm at WDW, but you cannot ride the monorail at DL without a park ticket the last several times we’ve been. They check. I don’t know why it’s so different at WDW.

ETA: I misspoke. I do know why it’s different and was trying to convey, be it poorly upon further reflection, that I don’t know why they don’t do this at WDW for the convenience of their paying park and/or hotel guests. I know the DL monorail lets off inside DL, but IMO the transportation at WDW should be used by WDW hotel guests and park guests since we pay for it.

Last edited:
I agree that it isn’t the norm at WDW, but you cannot ride the monorail at DL without a park ticket the last several times we’ve been. They check. I don’t know why it’s so different at WDW.

Doesn’t that monorail empty out inside the gates not outside?

This is because the Disneyland Monorail stops inside the park.
There are 2 Monorail stations at the Disneyland Resort.

Catch a ride inside Disneyland Park at the Tomorrowland station right above Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.
Guests with valid theme park admission can skip the Main Entrance by boarding the Monorail at the Downtown Disney District station—and travel straight to Tomorrowland!
Edited to add the last line

Mini rainshower that lasted maybe 5 minutes at 8:30 this morning resulted in shut down of the line at Pop. This led to a massive backup of Hollywood and Epcot guests at the bus stop. Took us 30 minutes to get on a bus.

Doesn’t that monorail empty out inside the gates not outside?
This is because the Disneyland Monorail stops inside the park.
There are 2 Monorail stations at the Disneyland Resort.

Catch a ride inside Disneyland Park at the Tomorrowland station right above Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.
Because at Disneyland, the monorail is an attraction. The monorail at Walt Disney World is considered transportation.

It does. I was simply pointing out that they can and do restrict access to riding a form of transportation at one of their parks. I understand the difference between unloading inside the gates and outside, but they do restrict it. They could easily restrict the gondola to hotel guests and/or park guests by scanning your MBs before you board. I’m not saying they will do this, but they can do it very easily, and it is not some crazy radical idea as they do it at another park be it for a different reason.

Mini rainshower that lasted maybe 5 minutes at 8:30 this morning resulted in shut down of the line at Pop. This led to a massive backup of Hollywood and Epcot guests at the bus stop. Took us 30 minutes to get on a bus.
Skyliner runs in rain but not if lightening is close.

Because the DL Monorail is a means to enter the park. WDW transportation goes to lots of resorts where Disney can collect money for food and merch.

(I can remember before Downtown Disney when the DL Monorail was free to ride round trip from the DL Hotel. They had 1 or 2 cars where they didn't open the doors at the TL station.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter