Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have someone that is a CM, I swear not a bus driver, but someone that knows things, that is a friend. He told me that Disney is now going to begin to charge an overnight parking fee at all the resorts at WDW. I was told that it would be like $34 per night at the deluxe resorts. When pressed for an answer as to why Disney was going to start doing this, Disney said that everyone else does it.

This info is supposed to hit tomorrow. Be ye' fore warned.
You were right, it HIT :(

Honestly for us this isn't a huge deal. We drive to the parks anyway as I will NOT wait on the Disney buses. The experiences we have had with those has been absolutely dreadful. Because of that, if we stay off-site we have to pay to park at the theme parks - $22 per day. If we stay at a value resort - which we normally do - it will now be $13 per day there but free at the parks. So it's really not a huge increase for us. For those who choose to use Disney transportation, you can either use the magical express and not have a car at all or you can stay off-site and use the shuttle from your off-site resort to get to WDW and use the buses once inside. Doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. I can find $13 per day to save in another way. Just my two cents though. I can certainly understand that some people are upset.

I have stayed onsite at AoA, FQ, AKL, WL and soon will be at YC in the last 11 months a total of 25 days. In fact, this news has me rethinking renewing my AP. It may be time to spend my vacation money in other places. So very sad!!

Until Galaxy’s Edge opens at least.

Reactions: msk

I also wonder how disney is going to enforce their parking rules? if day visitors can park for free are they going to start towing away vehicles that stay too long? write "parking tickets"? or just impound the car in the lot and make you pay the fee before you can get out?

Disney will not charge for Magical Express because they want a captive audience. Without a car you have to eat on site paying their ridiculous prices and a family having to pay ME may just decide it is worth it to rent a car and eat offsite sometimes.

Well, we will be considering offsite for any future reservations which means I will eat breakfast and dinner off property so they will lose that revenue. And if we decide to fly we will buy a lot less souvenirs. We have APs and my wife is saying we may not renew. We drive 8+ hours to get to the parks but this is ridiculous. I could stay at a much nicer hotel closeby and save money on food and hotel. We don't mind paying Disney prices usually but this is too much. So maybe I should thank Disney for helping me save?

I am going to address this with Disney on their social media. Hell, I may sign up for Twitter so I can complain there as well as Facebook.

How will they distinguish between day and overnight guest?

You will pay for that with your hotel bill ............

Now if I don't plan to use my car, I could enter to "eat QS" then park amid the room spots, and never use it to leave again ..... so what are they going to do for that? Go back to parking passes on the dashboard I assume. No other way to enforce it if they still let in day guests to same lots. NOW maybe they will create more gates to more lots like they have at CSR. Day guests are in the day lot.

Well, we will be considering offsite for any future reservations which means I will eat breakfast and dinner off property so they will lose that revenue. And if we decide to fly we will buy a lot less souvenirs. We have APs and my wife is saying we may not renew. We drive 8+ hours to get to the parks but this is ridiculous. I could stay at a much nicer hotel closeby and save money on food and hotel. We don't mind paying Disney prices usually but this is too much. So maybe I should thank Disney for helping me save?

I am going to address this with Disney on their social media. Hell, I may sign up for Twitter so I can complain there as well as Facebook.

They don't get it. When I stay off I rarely eat in the parks because we eat a huge breakfast then maybe only dinner. But if parks close earlier we leave and eat off. If I am off with a kitchen, I am probably packing lunches or bringing my sub sandwich in. If I am staying offsite I for sure am at the outlet store shopping, going to grocery for bottled water and soda etc.

Last trip we were there 5 days, AP meant no paying for parking, packed sandwiches, ate very little in parks, bought ONE souvenir (Art Festival Tervis) and no tickets since we have AP.

AND they aggravated me with their security checks so bye-bye-bye, next three trips booked offsite - thank goodness.

200w.webp

TWITTER is way more "powerful" than FB these days for corporate stuff.

Last edited:
It's real - it is starting. I'm really really not happy about this - I find this to be insanity. People pay premium prices to stay onsite and buy packages and we can't park for free. OUTRAGEOUS. I know some of you will be upset with me for saying this.... but I'm sorry - this is where I draw the line

I don't fully understand what the big deal is. A week and a half ago when we started planning our WDW trip for this summer, I was surprised when I found out that, at the time, WDW resorts don't charge hotel guests for parking. We are DL veterans and I'm used to the now $22/night for DLR on site hotel parking, the $22/day rate to park in the Toy Story or Mickey & Friends parking lots/garages. And I'm used to how MOST of the off site hotels in the surrounding area charge for parking (usually ~ $11-$15/day) for their hotel guests.

Does it stink? Most definitely. Is there anything you can do about it? Not really. You can choose not to go to WDW. Or you can choose to stay off site. But then kiss off your plans of getting a reservation for Be Our Guest 180 days ahead of time.

At DLR, certain levels of AP used to include free theme park parking. But they've now eliminated that except for the top 1 or 2 tiers of AP levels. Part of the problem there, of course, was most of those AP holders were driving to the parks with only 1 person in the car, so the lots filled up quite frequently.

You know what I think? This is a preparatory step for: (a) the opening of Toy Story Land this summer; and (b) the later opening of Star Wars Land. It's probably more of the latter. And I would bet that later on, you will see an announcement that your daily on site hotel guest parking fee does NOT allow you to park for free in any of the theme park lots, thus forcing you to either pay for it again or use 1 of the Minnie vans or use the free WDW transportation options.

The survey they sent me last time I stayed on site asked me if I thought they were greedy. . .wonder if that question will be taken off. (I've shrugged at a lot of cost saving/price hiking, I mean it's a business. One cloaked in magic, but a business. But this is too far.)

I think a lot of people are feeling "captive". One thing we noticed in January was many of the upscale restaurants were not busy at all. I think people are paying to have things delivered or eating fast food if they don't have a car. We ate in the Yacht Club restaurant (used to be called Captains Grill) and spoke with a few other diners. Most came from off site. And most agreed food was not as good as a year ago.

It's real - it is starting. I'm really really not happy about this - I find this to be insanity. People pay premium prices to stay onsite and buy packages and we can't park for free. OUTRAGEOUS. I know some of you will be upset with me for saying this.... but I'm sorry - this is where I draw the line

Where is the Disney Blog Announcement? :rotfl2:

I don’t understand why the cost is different between different tiers of resorts. It’s not like the deluxe resorts have “nicer” parking lots. In fact, I’d contend that parking at the deluxes is LESS convenient than at the values and mods because at the values and mods, you can often park very close to the room. Not so at the deluxe resorts after meandering through the lot and finding a place in the back row not occupied by the shopping/dining people (who will park for free).

That last part is probably an exaggeration but...I still don’t get it.

Please do I just sent this: @WaltDisneyWorld So very upset that NOW when we scrimp and save to get a trip scheduled you dump yet another charge on us who drive to your resorts. NOW A PARKING FEE for guests at hotels. Time to start looking off site or another vacation spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter