Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much parking lot maintenance do resort parking lot need? There isn’t the freeze and thaw cycle of the north that leads to a bunch of potholes. The AKL lot last September had a bunch of garbage in it. Just wait until Hurricane season and all the people fleeing a storm for inland WDW have to pay to park there. Plus extra parking bucks from the pet bringer at pet friendly resorts.

Fair enough. It looks like from those articles it went up and down last year and ended up. My info is old. Last I had heard sometime last year they had said that attendance was down (and the Dis Unplugged folks were pointing out that Uni was up that quarter). But perhaps that was summer and just a result of crowd spreading.

Exactly. As I said, there’s plenty of parking FOR RESORT GUESTS. If only resort guests were allowed to park at the resorts, there would be parking left over. It’s the shoppers and diners that cause the parking shortages, not the resort guests.

So, Disney fixes this "problem" by charging loyal families instead of EXPANDING their parking lots (further lots like at GF?) or building UP with reasonable parking garages. Didn't have a problem knocking some Contemporary down and building up with BLT and didn't mind the look of the Disney Springs garages, but those make them money. Perhaps that is too expensive for a Fortune 40 corporation though...or maybe there isn't enough land left in WDW....end sarcasm.

Wouldnt resort maintenance be covered in the $500 - $1200 / night mediocre hotel charge...plus tax? Or the overpriced meals? Or overpriced daily park ticket? Or overpriced park merchandise?

Yes, its included in all of that. But Disney wants/needs more revenue so this was their way of doing it, as stinky as it is.

Hate to say it, but if push comes to shove with my budget, then my 20% tips on overpriced food will probably be cut to 15% to compensate.

I have never paid the stupid 20% tip at any restaurant, Disney or not. We either split into smaller groups for ADR's and tip based on service with cash or we eat somewhere that a tip is not expected.

Wouldnt resort maintenance be covered in the $500 - $1200 / night mediocre hotel charge...plus tax? Or the overpriced meals? Or overpriced daily park ticket? Or overpriced park merchandise? Why dont they charge each diner/shopper/monorail jumper/pool hopper $1 - $2 and leave the overpaying resort guests alone!!

Hate to say it, but if push comes to shove with my budget, then my 20% tips on overpriced food will probably be cut to 15% to compensate.

Our food bills are around $700 per day $35 bucks saved right there.

Unfortunately, the person who gets hurt in this scenario is the server who has to live off tips. Disney will not feel this, but their workers will. :sad2:

That’s not necessarily going to work either, my parents (snowbirds) pick us up at the airport and drop us at the resort. No ME, but no parking either.
they are going to have to figure it out i am sure that if they are just dropping someone off they won't have to pay i saw that if you have a dinner reservation or want to shop they won't charge only if parking over nights

Yes, its included in all of that. But Disney wants/needs more revenue so this was their way of doing it, as stinky as it is.

I have never paid the stupid 20% tip at any restaurant, Disney or not. We either split into smaller groups for ADR's and tip based on service with cash or we eat somewhere that a tip is not expected.

20% tip is standard for good service at all restaurants across the US, not just at Disney.

You do realize that a 20% tip is standard for good service everywhere in the US, don’t you?

Actually, it's not. There is a range that is considered acceptable gratuity for those who pay a percentage of their bill. I do not tip based on a percentage. I tip based on service. If I have a $50 meal and leave a $10 tip, I have left a tip that is equivalent to 20% of my bill. But I am not tipping based on a percentage. It's just coincidence that it worked out that way.

Honor system???? I am sure they will figure out a way

Im assuming they will charge you the $25 for the piece of paper for your dashboard stating you are an overnight guests and allows you to park for free at the parks.

My guess is upon check in they will ask you if you need a parking pass and will charge you for every night of your stay. You then get to bring that paper back out to your car instead of having it handed to you at the gate when you arrive. .....Just my assumption.

Actually, it's not. There is a range that is considered acceptable gratuity for those who pay a percentage of their bill. I do not tip based on a percentage. I tip based on service. If I have a $50 meal and leave a $10 tip, I have left a tip that is equivalent to 20% of my bill. But I am not tipping based on a percentage. It's just coincidence that it worked out that way.

I think 18-20% is considered the norm for good service.

So first they give some non Disney hotels 60 day FP+. Now this. Why are they trying to drive guests to stay off site?

Didn't Black Panther already surpass $1 billion in sales? Now they just look greedy.

Just wait, because here it comes...$25 for your first 3 FP+, $5 for each one thereafter. $30 for Magical Express, $10 if they collect your luggage. Charge for hydro use. Charge for water use. No more free wi-fi. Get rid of the free toiletries, coffee, tea, plates and cups. No more free ice. Build a credit card machine into the wall safe so you have to pay to use it. I could go on and on. They should hire me as I can make them millions with my great ideas!

Seriously though, although this change doesn't affect me, I'm still angry about it. It's a sign of what's to come.

This is just one more reason that makes non Disney hotels more appealing. We love the Epcot area and have stayed at the Swan 3 times and BC once. This year we opted for BC again but it was not an easy decision for me. The Swan is just as nice (if not nicer) as the BC and the price is way better even with the resort and parking fees. Adding $24 onto an already inflated per night room will make me think twice about staying on property. It would not make me 2nd guess renting a car if that was in my plans. I would just find a new place to stay.

Im assuming they will charge you the $25 for the piece of paper for your dashboard stating you are an overnight guests and allows you to park for free at the parks.

My guess is upon check in they will ask you if you need a parking pass and will charge you for every night of your stay. You then get to bring that paper back out to your car instead of having it handed to you at the gate when you arrive. .....Just my assumption.

What I’m wondering is how they’ll keep track of who booked prior to March 21 and who booked after. I have a stay booked in October and I expect not to be charged for parking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter