Disney pintrading and Security on Airplanes

IleneF

The brave may not live forever, but the cautious d
How on earth do I travel with my pin collection? I don't want to trust
some of them in my baggage as they are valuable (to me anyway) and
I don't want to take the chance on them getting lost with my baggage.
How have others handled this. I could only bring the non-treasured ones
but half the fun of trading is to see the others special ones. Please help.

IleneF,
Funny you should ask this question. My husband just bought me a bag from the Disney store that is made just for pin trading, It is about the size of a medium purse and has a place to display pins as well as 8 different zippered areas for extra pins, We bought ours half price for $ 12.00. It is black and has Mickey on the front drawing a picture of Walt and himself. It says Walt Disney's 100 Years Of Dreams. I even had room to put extra lanyard's in the bag. You would easily be able to carry this on.

I too am an avid pin trader, and I was worried about our Thanksgiving flight. I have one of the Disney pin bags, and because some of my pins are valuable, I wanted to carry it on with me. I knew that if they made me check it, the bag would be too flimsy to protect the pins. What I did was take a carry-on sized regular luggage bag and put the pins in it, along with a backpack containing all my other carry-on items. That way, if they insisted on my checking the pins, I could easily take out the backpack to bring on board with me, lock the little luggage bag, and check the pins in that (at least they would have some protection). Fortunately, they let me carry them on. In Chicago, they searched the pin bag thoroughly, even checking it for bomb residue, and the supervisor let me take it. The Nation Guardsman was amazed that Disney has special pin bags! At Orlando, they didn't bat an eye...they must be more used to the pins there. I am going to do the same thing for our Jan. and Feb. trips. If anything changes, I'll post more info.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We just got back from the Disney Magic and we left from Dulles in Washington, Dc and had no problem with my pin bag in a carry-on back-pack. Went right through with no problems. I will have parts of my trip report on the other side some time tonight. I figure if I postpone it I will seem like I am still on the trip. WOW what a vacation it was. We had the four of us, DW, DS12, and DS 9 and they had a blast. I will try to break it into days as I rmble on too much. The pins were not a problem....... Good luck on your trip.

Thanks for your responses but I don't believe they will let me carry ANY
sharp objects on and I can't risk them taking them from me so I guess I'm left with no good choice but to leave them home :-(

Ilene, I would contact your carrier and ask them what their policy is on pins and such. Make sure you get that persons name an number. Hopefully you get a Supervisor. Also it may help to call the airport you are leaving from and ask to speak to a supervisor there. Hope this helps....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter