Disney park reactive problem instead of doing the proactive

old lady

DIS Veteran
Is the Disney problem with their parks is they are reactive to popular ideas or rides of other theme parks instead of being proactive by making their own ideas and rides?

I was going to say something similar to DharmaLou. At this point, I'm wondering why you have so many questions about what you perceive as negatives at DLR.

Is the Disney problem with their parks is they are reactive to popular ideas or rides of other theme parks instead of being proactive by making their own ideas and rides?

I know what you are saying. I think disney needs to rehire some good imagineers instead of buying IP and redoing it or redoing older disney movies. Just MO>

I think the original idea vs. reimagining existing IP thing is an endemic issue that encompasses all of the entertainment industry. 2021 was what... Matrix 4, James Bond, another Marvel movie or two, another Sony Spiderman movie or two, another Fast & the Furious movie (the 9th one), another Ghostbusters movie, another 101 Dalmations movie (Cruella).

Let's not forget, Disney is great at making money, and I assume they have spent millions of dollars researching this -- us old folk who want non-IP original rides are not a substantial market enough to attain an acceptable return-on-investment-capital. I think the only place with original IP within Disney is Pixar, which is a nice place to isolate your risk taking. If there's proven success there, you can port it to the parks. If it fails, you didn't just dedicate acres of land, physical buildings, Imagineer labor, and marketing.

Disney learned this lesson the hard way when it launched DCA. I think that really scarred the company in terms of making original rides. Superstar Limo, anyone?

Anyway, for those of us that want original IP, we just don't have the clout. We become financially irrelevant.

Encanto is an original, and has become a huge success. I expect when the Hyperion starts running shows again, they'll test a stage production of this musical at DCA. I'm so looking forward to when we can watch a mini Broadway show again there!

As for ride inspiration, I believe they're limited by dirt. Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway is set to open next year, fingers crossed, but they had to demolish parts of TT & the back stage area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter