DISNEY if you don't want the average Joe to stay at the parks just say so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpkinhead10a

Earning My Ears
Disney's profits are up, the parks are full, Disney Springs is full, even with all the construction people are flocking to WDW. NOW YOU ARE LOOKING FOR WAYS TO SQUEEZE MORE MONEY....poor.. poor Walt's dream is dead.....

You spent 2 billion on the herder program and with FP+ so you can control people's were about in the parks and they don't even realize that you are doing it . Brought in tier pricing so you can squeeze more money out of you guest on the busy days just because you can. Now you want to charge more as a resort fees, what next charge 20.00 more for the A rides, 10.00 to ride the Monorail, 15.00 to walk down Main street, 5.00 for the ferry. oops better not give you any more ideas.

Just flat out say it..YOU DON'T WANT THE AVERAGE JOE TO GO TO OUR PARKS... don't price them out and make them feel bad because they can't afford to go to Disney anymore ...have the guts and say we don't want you any more, we want people who spends lots more money in our parks. Even through the average Joe was the ones who made you what you are today and that your right as we are only the guest!

Guys the only way to be heard by Disney is too stop going to the parks, to their movies, stop watching ABC, tsn or anything that has the Disney name, it's time to be heard!!!! ( They know that's never going to happen )

Disney does need to make a profit but how much is the answer?????

IT'S UP TO YOU

OP, be prepared for some people to tell you that it doesn't matter what Disney does because crowds will only get bigger. I'm personally glad that everyone is so rich because apparently there is no limit to any of this according to some people.

I understand your frustration but to me it's not just about how much a person can afford but also diminishing returns. For us they are beyond what we'll accept but that line is different for everyone of course.

You spent 2 billion on the herder program and with FP+ so you can control people's were about in the parks
Not sure why crowd control (for any theme park) is a bad thing.

Brought in tier pricing so you can squeeze more money out of you guest on the busy days just because you can.
For one-day visitors, yes. If it keeps the crowds down on busy days, I'm all for it.

The only reason I'll be able to go next year is my tax refund. I only get a good refund because there are no decent paying jobs around. Thankfully it doesn't cost much to live here, either. Of course, if I could make an average, or better, salary where I live, I would be able to go without my tax refund. But that is because my wife and I are very frugal with our everyday living. That said, even the thought of spending our tax refund on a vacation is a hard pill to swallow, but I haven't been in 9 years and the kids deserve it.

That said, it is seriously expensive to go, but honestly everything in life is. I think I figured out that it will cost us around $4000 for tickets, hotel and flight (estimate) and another $1000 or so for food and souvenirs while there (and stroller rental if we choose not to bring ours). That's a lot - $5000. But at the same time, last year we spent $1700 to take a vacation in which we drove to my parents and stayed in their house. So I don't really feel like Disney is as outrageous as people are saying. Yes...it's expensive. But I can't find too many vacation options that are not expensive.

I've spent the majority of my vacation dollars at Disney the last two years and we've had a wonderful time. I didn't really mind paying their exorbitant prices (on property hotels, tours, fireworks cruises, etc) because I was always able to find a perceived value. I've been planning another trip in November since we got back from our last trip but I'm on the verge of cancelling it because I'm so fed up.

The general consensus seems to be that even if Disney continues to raise prices people will still fill the parks. I used to agree with because I thought I would be one of those people. I never thought I would say enough is enough but the number of price increases in the last week alone is ridiculous. In truth, I would be okay with them if there was an increased return of investment but all reports have recently indicated a steep decline.

I know I'm only one person and for a time others will keep going, but I just don't see how Disney can sustain this.

I don't know your finances or your situation so this is just a general comment :) But people shouldn't feel like they have to give up WDW if they still want to go. Just rebel in place and stay offsite. Eat offsite more. There are such great offsite lodging deals. I know this doesn't help with the ticket prices but if you can save a boatload of money on the other stuff, then why not?

That said, it is seriously expensive to go, but honestly everything in life is. I think I figured out that it will cost us around $4000 for tickets, hotel and flight (estimate) and another $1000 or so for food and souvenirs while there (and stroller rental if we choose not to bring ours). That's a lot - $5000. But at the same time, last year we spent $1700 to take a vacation in which we drove to my parents and stayed in their house. So I don't really feel like Disney is as outrageous as people are saying. Yes...it's expensive. But I can't find too many vacation options that are not expensive.

This. Everywhere is expensive now. A one day trip to the local amusement park (not as magical for my kids as Disney) will cost my family $160 in admission, $20 in parking and $100 in terrible food. So almost $300 for the day, yes, cheaper than Disney, not cheap by any means and Disney has more for my kids to see and do and the food is much better. We do a lot of day trips as a family and $200-$300 is normal for our family of 4. While Disney was wuite a bit more, it was also more special. We stayed onsite, we didn't worry about transportation, etc. Disney feels like more of a vacation than our day trips and while I can't afford it every year, I don't mind saving up to go when I can.

I must have missed the part in the Bill of Rights about our right to an affordable Walt Disney World vacation.

I'm a (single) public school teacher in one of the worst-paid states in the nation. My parents are retirees who aren't exactly wealthy either. We're going to WDW for the first time in 17 years. True, we are a small group and it took years to save up the money for this splurge of a vacation. Because THAT'S what a WDW vacation is. A big splurge. If you've got other financial priorities and/or cannot swing WDW, you DON'T GO. You take smaller, less expensive trips and save WDW for the special occasions. This idea that it's a place that everyone should be able to afford to go every year is just not realistic. It's a one-of-a-kind vacation destination. You have to pay to play.

I must have missed the part in the Bill of Rights about our right to an affordable Walt Disney World vacation.

I'm a (single) public school teacher in one of the worst-paid states in the nation. My parents are retirees who aren't exactly wealthy either. We're going to WDW for the first time in 17 years. True, we are a small group and it took years to save up the money for this splurge of a vacation. Because THAT'S what a WDW vacation is. A big splurge. If you've got other financial priorities and/or cannot swing WDW, you DON'T GO. You take smaller, less expensive trips and save WDW for the special occasions. This idea that it's a place that everyone should be able to afford to go every year is just not realistic. It's a one-of-a-kind vacation destination. You have to pay to play.

I absolutely don't think everyone should be able to go, but I personally want to feel like I've wasted money. The price increases, with no real increase in quality or service, are starting to feel like a waste of money.

While Disney is a business, they do depend at least in part on customer satisfaction. I'm becoming an unsatisfied customer.

Again, others may still be satisfied now, but I just don't see how it can last indefinitely.

This idea that it's a place that everyone should be able to afford to go every year is just not realistic

I agree. Honestly, my parents had good money in the 80s (dad was retired from the Air Force and started working civil service for the navy so he had two checks coming in and mom worked at NASA). Even then we only went every other year and it was much smaller and less expensive to go. Then they started going every 3 years as MGM opened followed by AK later on. The only period where we went for consecutive years was a short time when we had family working there that got us free or discounted tickets and let us stay with them. I haven't been in 9 years. And while I'd love to go every year, it's not realistic. Even if I had my ideal salary I wouldn't go every year. There are too many other places I'd rather see than the same parks year after year. I don't even go to my local theme park every year (even though I LOVE LOVE LOVE roller coasters). The people who are complaining that they will have to take less trips each year don't get much sympathy from me because I don't have the money to go every few years, let alone multiple times a year.

I totally feel the frustration of OP. I am angry that EVERYTHING at Disney is going up much faster than my salary. If it were just Disney going up that would be one thing but EVERYTHING in life is going up along with it. And I'm sorry Disney, you lose out, we love our cable and cell phones more than you .
I do feel like Disney only cares about a wealthier class of people. Even though my DH is way over Disney I think we will still go. We will not come every 3 years anymore. It might be every 5. We might not visit for 6 or 7 days but 4 and no park hoppers or sit down meals. We will try on that next trip after next month staying off property regardless of the "perks" we might miss out on. We will have a car and the kids will be teenagers by then so we can drive off property with few problems.
We will miss Disney hotels for sure but this will save us tons of money on our nightly rates and food if we can eat at least breakfast off site. I will make it my challenge to see how cheap I can go the next time around.

I agree with above poster. We also try to economize while at Disney and will continue to do so, perhaps even more. Even if we do not stay at the onsite resorts with a small kitchenette we do breakfast in the room, fortunately we drive so I bring cereal, paper goods and utensils, snacks, etc. and then just buy milk and fruit when we arrive. We stayed at a Value last trip and I brought my own coffee maker as I knew the resort did not provide one. We carry our own snacks into the park. Adults in our party have been known to order kids meals at the food courts, or share meals. We order courtesy ice water when purchasing QS meals in the park. We try to do our best without sacrificing a great WDW experience, but these little savings add up.

Nobody likes a price increase. I don't like getting asked to pay a resort fee for things that used to be included.
Am I still planning to go? You bet. It's an expensive vacation. We look at the cost, make a decision, and go.

The way I see it, last time we went was 2014. Next time we are going is November of 2017. By that time, we will have all the night activities at Animal Kingdom, Pandora (I hope!!!), Disney Springs (which isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm VERY excited about it), the Frozen Ride (meh, something new), new Star Wars night shows at DHS and who knows what else - to me, that offsets the price increases.

And then we won't be back again until the new things at DHS are done, we will visit other places on the planet. I agree, if nothing changes from year to year, but the price goes up, then why would I keep going if I was unhappy with it? Don't go until something new peaks your interest, problem solved....

****I reserve the right to change my mind at any given time :p

Last edited:
what next charge 20.00 more for the A rides, 10.00 to ride the Monorail,

well, guess what. That's exactly how it worked when Disneyland and Disneyworld opened.
Except top rides are not called A, but E.
that's why headliners are called E-Tickets, because they used to require the use of a "E"
ticket from your ticket book.
it used to cost a A ticket to ride the main street vehicles, a C ticket for Dumbo, Peter Pan, among others

it would be back to the "good old days" where you paid for what you rode. That's how Walt started it. So you might be wrong in saying his dream is dead ... looks like it will pretty much come back to life ...

(not saying it would be good or I would like it, just saying what used to be)

ticketbook.jpeg

pic courtesy of yesterland

We will stop going after this trip in June. We spend a large portion of our income on vacations every year. With, admittedly, most going to Disney because it’s “all inclusive”…no driving, no stress, everything you need right there. No more.

We stopped going to the parks as they got stale. So, we do a resort only trip. Now, that resort only trip is looking to go up $15/night just in resort fees, for the things that have been the “free perk” that have kept me on site at their resorts. We love DME because we both hate driving. We don’t use the wi-fi, hate the magic bands, kids don’t get involved in the activities…prefer to watch from the sidelines. The benefit is just not there any more for us. Raise the prices for the once free stuff, raise the prices on the mediocre food, and cut staff and hours so much that the customer is seeing the frustration on the CM’s front line. Ridiculous. Disney, you have lost your damn mind.

The only reason I'll be able to go next year is my tax refund. I only get a good refund because there are no decent paying jobs around. Thankfully it doesn't cost much to live here, either. Of course, if I could make an average, or better, salary where I live, I would be able to go without my tax refund. But that is because my wife and I are very frugal with our everyday living. That said, even the thought of spending our tax refund on a vacation is a hard pill to swallow, but I haven't been in 9 years and the kids deserve it.

The problem most of us have with this is that they are not providing with any new services, they are not even providing with the same amount of services or customer service, but they are charging us more. I think it is almost insulting. For the first time guest or the one every 5+ years guest this is not going to affect them. They don't know better, but for people that go yearly and have seen service decline, hours being cut, etc Disney starts loosing its value. At some point Disney fans start questioning is it even worth it anymore and for us this $15 fee is the breaking point. Not because we can't afford an extra $15 a day, but because we had enough. We started planning our trip two months in advance (April 16). Since then they have increased ticket prices, increased food prices, decreased hours (from previous years) and cut CMs hours and positions. And now they might add a $15 fees for ammenities and services that have been build in to the room rate? That is just ridiculous and there is no reason why we should accept it.

I've spent the majority of my vacation dollars at Disney the last two years and we've had a wonderful time. I didn't really mind paying their exorbitant prices (on property hotels, tours, fireworks cruises, etc) because I was always able to find a perceived value. I've been planning another trip in November since we got back from our last trip but I'm on the verge of cancelling it because I'm so fed up.

The general consensus seems to be that even if Disney continues to raise prices people will still fill the parks. I used to agree with because I thought I would be one of those people. I never thought I would say enough is enough but the number of price increases in the last week alone is ridiculous. In truth, I would be okay with them if there was an increased return of investment but all reports have recently indicated a steep decline.

I know I'm only one person and for a time others will keep going, but I just don't see how Disney can sustain this.

No you are not alone. We are on the same boat. We have 3 trips planned and will have annual passes. But after that if they decide to put this $15 fee that will be it for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter