Disney Hotel Question

cruising spud

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are throwing around the idea of going south for a few weeks this winter. We are thinking of not camping. I was considering a few days at Disney without going to the parks (we will be a Disney for two weeks in October/November for the Dismeet). If we stayed at Diseny, it would probably be a moderate or value resort. I am familiar with the moderate and deluxe resorts, but not the values. If we decided value, could anyone recommend one resort over the other? Is there enough difference between the moderates and the values that we should just spring for a moderate?

Thank you.

The 3 All Stars hotels and Pop Century all have the same room design- queen bed with another bed that folds out. If you don’t pull out the bed, there is a table with chairs. They have a food court as dining with multiple pools. No hot tubs or pool slides . Pop is on the Skyliner route so it’s a little more expensive than All Stars.

With no parks, maybe a moderate with slightly more amenities would be better. Maybe Port Orleans hotels with boat access to DS? The Tower at Coronado Springs is nice too.

I think there are rooms with one King Bed also if you are interested in that.
If you aren't doing parks, maybe you don't need to spend the extra on Pop for skyliner.
We stayed at All Stars Music last year and really enjoyed it. Very clean and new.

When we had annual passes we would take some winter quick trips and not bring the camper. We were park ninjas though, so the resort was just a place to eat breakfast and sleep. We usually went with the cheapest option, which was generally one of the All Stars. All 3 have similar rooms and the theming is the difference. The rooms aren't big, but definitely functional. I liked the
"over the top" theming of the resorts and like to walk around them taking it in. Food courts and gift shops are all similar. Pop is a little different. Besides the Skyliner, it just has a different feel to me. Of the 4, I prefer Pop, but not enough to pay a lot extra for it.

Like Skippyboo said, since this is a no park trip, I'd probably spring for a Moderate and enjoy the atmosphere and food options. I've never stayed at Port Orleans, but have walked through both sides. I would probably go for PO French Quarter, but Riverside is nice too.

j

Last edited:

I had thought about the French Quarter, but I read that this resort was undergoing a refurbishment next year. Meaning, it is, no doubt, a bit run down.

Has anyone ever been to Cape Canaveral? Worth a visit?

I had thought about the French Quarter, but I read that this resort was undergoing a refurbishment next year. Meaning, it is, no doubt, a bit run down.

It’s the pool that they are redoing Jan-April. You can use pools at Riverside during that period

Fantasia Pool at Movies is also getting refurbished from Jan- Apr too.

We have never been to Universal, so if we go, we will go to the parks. I researched and saw that there were several tiers of resorts, and that the three, highest tier hotels allow you front of the line privileges However, I am not a scary/roller coaster ride kind of person. So, not sure how many rides we would really do. I am going to have to research. Any hotels you would recommend we avoid or go to?

We have never been to Universal, so if we go, we will go to the parks. I researched and saw that there were several tiers of resorts, and that the three, highest tier hotels allow you front of the line privileges However, I am not a scary/roller coaster ride kind of person. So, not sure how many rides we would really do. I am going to have to research. Any hotels you would recommend we avoid or go to?
The top tier - Royal Pacific, Hard Rock and Portofino give you express pass access. Not exactly from the line but sort of Disney fast pass line without the timed entry. Still have to wait occasionally on super popular rides.

I would recommend the next tier down especially if you’re not going on the coasters. Sapphire Falls. It’s Caribbean themed has a big nice pool, a sit down restaurant, a cool bar Strong Water Tavern. It has boat service to the parks and Citywalk. So you don’t have to deal with buses if you don’t want to.

I'd recommend Sapphire Falls (mid-tier) or Aventura (value) if you aren't needing the express passes. Both hotels are right next to each other. Sapphire Falls has great theming and a good pool, plus the boat access to the parks. For me it was still a bit too much on cost, so I stayed at Aventura (more standard-hotel feel). It's right next to Sapphire Falls and a very easy walk over to there to use the pool and boats without the higher price/cost :)

If you mean the Kennedy Space Center, I enjoyed my visit there.

Seeing the Shuttle (Atlantis?) hung there in a flight tilt with the cargo bay doors open was a thrill for me. I also recommend the bus tour out to the Vehicle Assembly Building (the big tall thing where they stack parts on top of each other) and rolling by the launch pads beyond if the launch schedule allows.

I am planning sometime within the next year or two to make a trip of a week in this time of year (November or December) and camp/rv at Jetty Park (the Cape Canaveral [town] municpal beach/park/campground because you get a great view of all the cruise ships coming in (about 5am) and going out (about 6pm) and also a close-up of rocket launches (day/night).

Early December is my preferred time because it's nice weather but snow birds have not finished their migration south yet.

Bama Ed

I am planning sometime within the next year or two to make a trip of a week in this time of year (November or December) and camp/rv at Jetty Park
Ed,

Move your plans up! We are going on a cruise out of Port Canaveral on December 11th. Flying into MCO on the 10th and staying at a hotel very near Jetty Park.

I just checked. Jetty Park has sites for Dec 8-11. :cheer2:

:offtopic: To stay slightly on topic, I second Ed's suggestion to check out Kennedy Space Center. If you are any kind of a space/science buff, the tours are pretty cool!

j

Everyone, thank you for all of the information.

Ed, yes, I did mean the Kennedy Space Center. No matter what else we do, I believe the Kennedy Space Center will be on the list.

As to Universal. if we go, I think we will either buy a fastpass/whatever Universal calls it or stay at one of the three hotels that offer this feature. Probably the one and only time we will go to Universal, and I don't want to waste tons of time standing in lines, provided we can find rides that we want to go on. I'm not overly sure of anything yet!!

You all give me a lot to think about. Thank you.

Ed,

Move your plans up! We are going on a cruise out of Port Canaveral on December 11th. Flying into MCO on the 10th and staying at a hotel very near Jetty Park.

I just checked. Jetty Park has sites for Dec 8-11. :cheer2:

Jim, sorry buddy, my dance card is pretty full with the beaches this month and the Fort in January. I need December to put some new tires on the Aliner and get ready for the run to Arizona in February to follow the Tribe's start to Spring Training (with a new manager, no less).

I'm aiming for Jetty Park in early December 2024.

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter