Disney Gift Card Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the real question for me is then, will they refund my $1500 worth of Target gift cards since they altered their policy AFTER I had already bought the gift cards????

I have an open ticket with them now.

I decided to only get Walgreens cards in $100 denominations, since the shipping fee doesn't get smaller for the smaller cards.
Used a $250 ebay card to get 2 $100 Walgreens cards, and it covered the cards and shipping - no problem.

Then I tried to buy a Best Buy $50 card from PPDG. Maybe it was because my ebay gc didn't cover the whole amount, or maybe it was because it was for a small amount, but I had NO problems. PPDG did not ask me to verify even once! I'm flabbergasted!

So the real question for me is then, will they refund my $1500 worth of Target gift cards since they altered their policy AFTER I had already bought the gift cards????

Are you trying to use all $1500 at once? Have you tried a smaller order of just $100?

Another "GC>GC still works in store" post.

I didn't have too much in Target GC on hand, but I was able to use a $100 Target GC to buy a $100 eBay GC in store at self-checkout this morning. (If I can't get the extra REDcard discount, I'm going to try put this money to work for a few more churns.) This was a pure GC>GC transaction; no add-on items. The self-checkout menu looked a little different than I remember, but when I clicked ready to pay, a Target GC icon popped up along with the other usual forms of payment. I clicked Target GC, scanned the barcode off my phone, and the payment applied no problems. (I have to wonder if you can't use Target GCs to pay for a purchase containing any GCs, why still have that option pop up at checkout?)

Sadly, I think this change to target .com is permanent. The REDcard+GC trick basically allowed shoppers to double dip discounts on GCs, which we've discussed and speculated have smaller margins than other products that Target sells. Target might've finally caught on or decided that this was losing them money. You couldn't double dip in stores -- it's either use your REDcard for a 5% discount or use a GC that you might've bought at a ~5-7% discount or gotten for free. It seems this is still the case in store. The change to target .com still doesn't align online policy with in-store policy, but it's closer and doesn't allow double dipping on GCs anymore. (I've yet to try the double dipping trick on a non-GC purchase since this change. I'm assuming it still works whether because there are better margins or less risk of fraud.)

If this change really is permanent, I wonder what will happen to the price of Target GCs on the resell market. I remember learning this trick last summer when discounts could still be had for ~7-8%+. Discounted Target GCs seem to have settled around 4.5-6.5% now that a lot more people know this trick (I've seen it discussed also on SD, FB, Reddit, blogs, etc.) As long as you can still use Target GCs to buy other GCs in store, any discount greater than 5% is still better than the REDcard discount. And if you can still double dip for non-GC online orders any discount even better. But at the high end of 6.5% off, it's just an extra $15 saved on $1000 (of course, not counting credit card points, cash back, gas bonuses, etc.).

Anyway. I agree with the sentiment that it's sad seeing all these options close up, really, in just the last 3 months or so.

My guess is no since they have always had a disclaimer on their gift cards stating they were not valid on gift cards or prepaid cards even though they previously worked to purchase Disney cards. Also not sure when you bought them but for a week or 2 now the website has specifically said you cannot purchase Disney gift cards with a target card. They just finally updated the website to cancel any orders that were placed using a gift card. I'm very disappointed as well as it was a great way to save on Disney expenses but I don't think target will refund their gift cards simply because they can no longer be used to purchase third party gift cards.

Are you not able to take them to the store today? It sounds like there has been a fair amount of success in cashing out in store today.

I used my discover it card to buy $100 eBay gift card at lowes since I have the double cash back bonus (10% total). I also bought $250 in Disney. Don't want too much in eBay right now since so many options are drying up. Just used my eBay gift card and bought 4 of the $25 Best Buy through PPDG. I also bought $100 about two weeks ago with the 10% eBay bucks promotion. No trouble with PPDG, but before that I hadn't order from them in at least a month. I will continue with small amounts ( not more than $100) and not too often. I am thinking once every two weeks if I am lucky enough to get ebucks offers that often. I know it's not a lot but it will be a little extra. As far as target, I cashed out a few months ago, but recently got $25 from swagbucks. So, that's not a big deal if I can't churn it. I will just use it for something else I buy there anyways. I have had fun earning some ebucks, and will continue to look for new opportunities, but they do seem few and far between now.

I see Amex has a new Home Depot offer for a $60 statement credit for $400+ spent (effectively 15% discount) in one or more transactions in-store or online by 9/30/16. The offer excludes online GC purchases but should work for GCs in store.

I don't shop much at Home Depot, but I know from discussions here that they sell GCs. However, it's been established that you can't use a Home Depot GC to buy third-party GCs.

Check your offers!

ETA: I got this offer on my Premier Rewards Gold Card, but looking into this deal online I see that it's highly targeted. Decent savings if you've got it.

Last edited:
I just checked and it shows 0 available....
Oh no! I had bought 7 on two different accounts this morning. I just checked, luckily they have shipped. I hope this outage is temporary, as this is a great avenue for me, and I am sure, many others.

Can you use PayPal online to buy Disney gift cards at Target? I see that as an option. My online order got cancelled today, but my husband was able to redeem them in the store.

So.....

Just got a response from corporate. No more using Target GC but u can buy in store.
So no more extra 5%

; (

Stores are no issue, per corporate
That's good to know-seems like maybe they aren't able to close the 5% loophole so they simply are cancelling all gift card orders online. Good to know that people can still convert their cards in store.

We only have $50 right now so sending my husband to target to try. So with swag bucks I assume Best Buy is where I need to start cashing out to get Disney cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter