Disney Fantasy - Halloween on the High Seas - Our first cruise!

Jessjeen

Earning My Ears
We just got off the Disney Fantasy today! It was our very first cruise and we had an amazing time! It was so sad to have to leave - but we already have another cruise booked for next year -- the Disney Magic sailing out of our hometown - New York City! Cant wait! Anyway, I learned so much about the Disney cruise line and tips and tricks from the Disboards and some others like it - so I thought it was only right to post a trip report and pass on some of the magic to others! So- here it goes!!

Let me start by introducing my family who was traveling with me. I am 39, and a Disney Fanatic (been to Disney Word countless times); then there is my DH, age 45 (been to Disney world twice as an adult); my DS age 7, DS age 5 (who have been to Disney World once) and my mother in law, age 71 who has never been to any Disney park or cruise - ever!! We were very excited about this cruise. I had downloaded the Disney Cruise line app not long after I booked this vacation and it had been counting down since well over a year!! We sailed the Disney Fantasy for seven nights. Our itinerary was the Western Caribbean with stops at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Castaway Cay. We had two sea days and it was Halloween on the High Seas!!

Prior to leaving for the cruise, Hurricane Joaquin was hovering over the Bahamas and was about to head towards us on the East Coast. Our plan was to head to the airport after my kids - 2 boys, ages 5 and 7 -got out of school on Friday, October 2, 2015 to fly down to Florida. We had reservations to stay overnight at the Hyatt Regency hotel in the Orlando International airport (MCO) for one night. But Things were not looking so good. First, the night before, my younger son was coughing up a storm as he was suffering from allergies and nasal drip. We couldn't sleep at all. Second, the weather was not cooperating! The weather reports were calling for a lot of rain and strong winds at the time we were scheduled to fly out. Everyone kept calling and texting us about how worried they were for us, etc. Needless to say, the calls and texts were not lifting my spirits! I always saw on the Disboards and Disney cruise line blog that the ships were not stopping in Castaway Cay because of the hurricane. I was so nervous that this vacation was just going to be a huge upset!

So Friday came, and we kept my youngest home from school since he didn't get much sleep and sent my oldest off for his last day before vacation. The weather wasn't that bad - some rain here and there - and the winds weren't that strong either. I was starting to think positively, but I kept my phone by me at all times to see if our flight was going to be delayed or cancellations. No delays. No cancellations. We picked up my oldest son 30 minutes before school let out and my dad gave us a ride to the airport. We were going to meet my mother in law who was travelling with us at the gate. So far so good. We checked in, met my mother in law, and we boarded the plane on time! We were on our way!!

To be continued.... (can anyone tell me how to upload photos in my trip report? Thanks!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter