Disney Dining Stinks!!!!

What I meant was just because someone does not purchase the DDP if they are staying onsite, they are not forced to make ADR's for every single day if they don't want to. If you purchase the DDP you have no choice, but if you don't purchase it you can eat offsite if a family wants to do that.

We're not purchasing the DDP for either of our planned visits this year, but we still want to eat onsite - so we will be making ADRs (already have them for July, working on a battle plan for December). We won't make them for every day, but we have places we WANT to eat at, and because of DP we will make an ADR at each of them. Unfortunately we have to figure out what days where 6 months in advance in order to do this.

We tend to eat at less standard times anyways, but we still want to know that we CAN eat where we want.

We were there 5/13-5/19. We made our ADR's about 12 weeks in advance, but I was able to change one just hours in advance (from Wolfgang Puck Cafe to Raglan Road). When we went to Epcot's Guest Services (I needed to check lost and found), they had a huge sign board indicating which TS restaurants were full, but more importantly, which ones had openings for that day. There were quite a few -- maybe not your first choices, but better than wasting those TS credits for which you've already paid. Try calling Guest Services to see what might be open, where, and when -- you might be surprised, and maybe you'll discover a hidden gem or two. We loved the Dining Plan -- it worked beautifully for us, sorry you are having such a problem with it. But as previous posters have mentioned, you chose not to make ADR's, and also whether or not you were on the Dining Plan, you wouldn't be able to walk in to most of the TS restaurants, anyway. It's getting that way at Disneyland, and they don't even have a dining plan :confused3

We also had fabulous CS at Tusker House (AK, I had salmon, DH had the turkey wrap and corn chowder), Tangierine (Epcot WS, shared a lamb and chicken sharwarma platter) and Sunshine Seasons (Epcot, the Land, I had rotisserie chicken and DH had chicken caesar salad), Wolfgang Puck Express (DTD Marketplace, I had a Cobb Salad and DH had some kind of flatbread sandwich that he said was very good), and I had an excellent tuna sandwich at Columbia Harbor House (MK). That was just a week ago, and none of those CS places was a "2 hour ordeal" -- most of them were a walk up, with just a few people in front of us. Even the Pop food court wasn't too crowded, and we stopped in to Cosmic Ray's at about 11:30 am just to see Sonny Eclipse for a minute, but could easily and quickly ordered food if we'd been hungry. The only one that was an ordeal was the Cantina, because it was 20 minutes before Illuminations, there were a million people in line, and some rude woman -- who was NOT on the DDP -- asked for detailed descriptions of everything on the menu (as if it wasn't all written out for her to read before she got up there to order) and kept asking repeatedly why they didn't serve tostadas ("You know, those flat crispy things, with the beans and cheese and lettuce and stuff on top...you sure you don't have those? I think you used to...are you absolutely sure? Why don't you ask your manager, I think you just don't know what I'm talking about. I KNOW you used to have them. Why don't you have them anymore? Are you SURE?") She almost got thrown into the lagoon by me and 999,998 other frustrated people!!! :headache: :lmao:

I happen to be a fan of the DP. Yes, I do remember going to the screens at the end of Spaceship Earth and my hubby (then boyfriend) making a reservation for Alfredo's that evening. Times have changed. I did make ADR at the 180 mark for our trip last Thanksgiving. We have kept receipts to compare, and my husband enjoys it. I remember one trip we ate so many hamburgers and hot dogs, I still get sick thinking about it.(prior to the plan). I'm already planning our days based on EMH and such, adding in a reservation doesn't bother me. That's also why they have Park Hoppers. If I'm in a park that doesn't have many choices for sit down meals, you know there are plenty in Epcot. My kids can be picky, so I look at the menus at home, so at least I know there will be something each of them will like. For what they give you, and yes its a lot, it pays for itself. We are also trying restaurants than we may have never tried before. Now, we have a few favs (Prime Time, Cananda). Last year we ate at Tony's on MAIN STREET !!! I lost count of how many times I've been to Disney and we finally ate there!!! It's a preference, and we prefer the dining plan. There would be no way my husband would leave the MK to go eat off property. That's just us.pirate: (just saw Pirates III - loved it)

What I meant was just because someone does not purchase the DDP if they are staying onsite, they are not forced to make ADR's for every single day if they don't want to. If you purchase the DDP you have no choice, but if you don't purchase it you can eat offsite if a family wants to do that.

At certain times (peak mealtimes, any time at peak attendance times, any time during the free dining offer), if you want to eat at a restaurant that accepts the dining plan, whether or not you actually HAVE the dining plan, yes, you do have to make ADRs.

Of course there are always restaurants, some onsite, that do not accept the dining plan and may not have the crowds. I don't believe ANY of them are in the theme parks. If you want a table service meal in a theme park, you have to plan.

Ever hear of Magical Express...if you're taking advantage of that (and many do) you CAN'T go offsite to eat, unless you spring for a taxi.

I don't plan my days around my reservations, I plan my reservations around my days. First you have to look at the calendar to see what days have extra magic hours, if you know you will be there that day, book a res for that day. If you want a free day, book it somewhere more Central (like a resort inbetween the parks) and make them for late so you know you will be tired and hungry from whatever park you chose to go to. The worse thing that can happen is you decide not to make your reservation. I hope you can go again and do it right:thumbsup2

That is exactly what we did, and it worked beautifully. We booked Mama Melrose's on the day MGM had EMH late, to get the Fantasmic Package. We booked Wolfgang Puck Cafe on the day we planned for DTD and had tickets for La Nouba -- and we were even able to change our dinner reservations from WPC to Raglan Road just hours before dinner.

Go to guest services as soon as you get where you are going for the day and make an ADR where ever there is availability. If CS is taking you 2 hours change the times you are eating. Even on July fourth the CS are not that bad unless you eat at noon when everyone else does!

We were there last week and managed to get same-day reservations at the following:

Liberty Tree Tavern in the Magic Kingdom - twice.

Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge.

Kona Cafe at the Polynesian.

Restaurant Marrakesh, San Angel Inn and Garden Grill in Epcot.

50's Prime Time Cafe in MGM.

We ate with no wait at the Tusker House for breakfast around 9:00. We ate with almost no wait at all the counter service places - we just went there at off-times. If you're eating when everyone else is, there will be a wait, you know?

We also got same-day reservation for Margaritaville over at Uni.

We were there last week and managed to get same-day reservations at the following:

You are comparing apples to oranges though. This week is Peak with the holiday.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I assume you have checked with the Guest Services at your Hotel about Finding you places.

Each day arrive early at whatever park you are going and head to guest relations. Yes is will be a slight wait but that is your best shot of getting TS at each park.

Try to hit a restaurant just as it opens, You will get some hits that way.

Have you tried Resort Restaurants that a fairly close by?

Keep calling WDW Dine and see if something opens up.

I'm sure it is a drag but you are going to have to pick at the scraps of reservations that are left.

It will get worse this summer.

Ever hear of Magical Express...if you're taking advantage of that (and many do) you CAN'T go offsite to eat, unless you spring for a taxi.
I realize that there maybe some guests who do not purchase the DDP but still have all their meals at WDW, which is ok because it's what they want to do.

I also know that if a guest does uses Magical Express weather they are on the DDP or not then they will spend all their time at WDW, unless they take a taxi like you just said.

However you also have to remember that not every guest who stays at a Walt Disney World Resort uses Magical Express and not everyone stays onsite for every meal each they day will be there.

To the OP... I hate to say this, but its your fault for the problems. You knew of ADRs, and you knew how to make them, but YOU chose not to... This is your problem, not disneys, not anyone else, your problem. Had you not been on the DDP, you would still have had the same problem, but the fact that YOU choose not to made ADRs, YOU decided your own fate to risk it, and you paid for it. Had you not come in here and blamed others, i would have felt sorry for you, but honestly, now after reading your post, i soley blame you and your ignorance
What a nasty post! :sad2:

pirate:

I have yet to even use the dinning plan... but every vacationer there is effected by the DDP, whether you use it or not...

As others have said... you plan your days... then plan where you would like to eat. I know for us, it's actually something we look forward to and helps pace ourselves knowing that we have a reservation. We don't always show up right at the time either, sometimes earlier or later and still usually manage to get a table in reasonable time.

CS waits are now through the roof, whether or not your on the dinning plan. Usually it's due to lack of knowledge for those on the plan trying to order... but I only blame disney for that... poor execution of the plan with information.

I'm sorry your having dinning issues... but when I looked at the brochure for our September trip... nearly all of the TS restuarants had a symbol that meant "advanced reservation needed" next to the name... whether I liked it or not... I made reservations asap...

There will always be "lovers" and "haters" of the DDP... and the plan itself definately has some flaws... but if you take the time to plan and prepare... it has it's pluses. If your "not they type" to do that, then the DDP or even dinning at disney... is going to be a huge struggle.

I realize that there maybe some guests who do not purchase the DDP but still have all their meals at WDW, which is ok because it's what they want to do.

I also know that if a guest does uses Magical Express weather they are on the DDP or not then they will spend all their time at WDW, unless they take a taxi like you just said.

However you also have to remember that not every guest who stays at a Walt Disney World Resort uses Magical Express and not everyone stays onsite for every meal each they day will be there.

Yes. Doesn't solve the problem. I dont' believe this thread was about eating offsite. If you're going to eat offsite you still need to have a plan - when to leave the park, how long it will take to get your car, which restaurant to drive to...If you want to eat table service in a theme park you must make ADRs.

There's times when you can make them same day...but the OP was apparently trying to walk into theme park restaurants without any ADR because they valued the ability to be spontaneous. That carries a risk these days. You can't be totally spontaneous AND expect to eat table service in a theme park.

Yes. Doesn't solve the problem. If you want to eat table service in a theme park you must make ADRs.

There's times when you can make them same day...but the OP was apparently trying to walk into theme park restaurants without any ADR because they valued the ability to be spontaneous. That carries a risk these days. You can't be totally spontaneous AND expect to eat table service in a theme park.
I agree that ADR's seem more valuable in the parks, then at the Resorts. The OP took a gamble and could not walk-in, so I won't flame them for that the way others have on this thread. However I still say that there can also be times during the year when the odd time any family could try to walk-in or make last minute ADR's in the park restaurants, because they are not 100% booked for 365 days a year.

We just returned last night from a week at the WL. This was our first visit using the dining plan. I was somewhat apprehensive about it. I have been to Disney MANY times..and only made but a few ADR's, and played it day by day. Not much into planing months in advance where to eat. I actually cancelled our previous trip that was scheduled last September during the "free dining" promo. I wasn't able to secure ANY reservations ANY where..and that was in June. I wasn't going to risk having to use my table service meals at counter service restaurants. I was prepared to eat late or early..we are VERY flexible..don't have little ones. There was NOTHING. So I understand your frustration. I got panicky..and said "forget it"..we cancelled and reshedule for this past week. We had a great pin code mailer discount..and once I checked availability at the various restaurants we wanted to eat at, I changed it to a package to include the dining. IT WAS GREAT! I have to admit, I was not one for planing months in advance for a meal. Never had to do it before...but I figured I wasn't going to risk not having a place to eat..and I'm glad that I made a table service meal for each day. I figured even if we didn't wind up going..I could always cancel if we found somewhere else we wanted to eat at. My kids LOVED it! We tried restaurants we might not have otherwise tried, and my son(15) tried different dishes, that I know he wouldn't try at home, because he wouldn't want to risk not liking something and then wasting the money. The dining plan does effect all travelers to Disney. Whether you are on it or not. Because so many people do use it..the restaurants are booked. You would need an ADR even if you don't use the plan. On our first day..at the WL there was a woman in front of us checking for an opening any time that evening, there was nothing. They did not accept walk ups. She actually had to call the dining line. (I thought that was a little ridiculous..but that's what they told her). I was especially glad at that moment that I made some reservations. It also seems that you are(OP) traveling during a holiday weekend and dining was bound to be more of an issue. We did notice that as of Thursday the resorts and restaurants began to appear more crowded.
While I'm not a fan of having to plan a meal 6 months in advance...I am glad that I did plan 7 table service meals for our trip. We did actually miss a breakfast..and were able to secure a reservation for Brown Derby using two table service credits per person. So there was some availability at restaurants..but not a lot. Also..I found when I went to the front desk..they were able to secure dining that the "dining line" told me was not available. You might try that.

I agree that ADR's seem more valuable in the parks, then at the Resorts. The OP took a gamble and could not walk-in, so I won't flame them for that the way others have on this thread. However I still say that there can also be times during the year when the odd time any family could try to walk-in or make last minute ADR's in the park restaurants, because they are not 100% booked for 365 days a year.
I agree. Even when it is busy, you can usually get same-day seating, if not walk-up...as long as you aren't too picky about where you eat. I doubt I'd get a Chef Mickey's dinner as a walk-up in August, but Liberty Tree Tavern would probably be not too hard. Done it before. :)

I suppose Memorial Day weekend is harder than other times, but I often get table service as a walk-up or by calling from the cell phone minutes before.

I may call Disney Dining for the heck of it tomorrow and see what I find available. :)

I doubt I'd get a Chef Mickey's dinner as a walk-up in August,
A few years ago we got Chef Mickey's as a walk-in for dinner and only waited about 30 minutes. I know since then things have changed and that might be a lot harder now, however the point is we still got it and if you don't try you never know what the response might have been from the Cast Members at the host podium.

Just to prove it can be done last August when my family and I happen to be staying at WDW during free dinning, we were able to make two last minute ADR's for lunch in the Magic Kingdom and Disney MGM Studios. The locations were The Plaza and 50's Prime Time Cafe. When we made the ADR's the Cast Member said what time would you like and I asked what times were available? He told me a list of times and we picked something after 11:00 AM for each location. So even during free dinning we got those ADR's with no problems and it just shows you that if you don't ask you never know. Which also proves my theory that no location is always 100% booked, especially during free dinning when a lot of other guests have purchased it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter