Disney dining plan will NOT include grat in 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not good at all. Guests apparently still pay the same DDP price, but now have to tip. They lose.
Servers no longer get the 18% added tip. With many folks on the DDP looking to save $$, the servers will undoubtedly lose. I can see many people not tipping at all, or just a middling amount. A situation which hopefully the "suggested" tip card might help avoid.
As far as DDE goes (which I have), we've always tipped at least 20% on the before-discount total. The fact that they added an 18% tip to the DDE makes me think that many guests don't tip on the before discount amount.
Should be interesting to see how it all plays out----.

I will do the dining plan next year but 18% is vastly too much for a tip. Why don't the servers try and get a proper wage. I would rather food cost be increased so that the staff get a decent wage rather than rely on tips.

I can imagine the uncomfortable feeling for servers. As if they were begging for it/demanding the tip. But than again, that might just be because of my origine. We aren't used to tipping for everything nor the hight of the percentage. And allthough serving isn't the best payed job here either, at least the don't need the tips just to make ends meat. I mean; $3.65 per hour!? OMG! Even 17 year-olds have a minimumwage overhere that's more than that (we've got a system in which untill the age of 23, you get a "childrens-wage". Stupid if you ask me). Adult minimumwage is around $8,50 per hour! Sure, life is more expensive here than in the usa, but no way it's 230% more expensive.

Getting the tips out of the package is asking for trouble if you ask me. Just take what I've stated just above here. A lot of us aren't used to other contries tipping-habits. Sure, I'll try to find out and do it their way, but a lot of us don't know or forget sometimes. No problem at our wage, but with the $3.65 per hour, that has so much impact on the servers. WDW probably attracts enough foreign people. Having the tip included in the plan is a relaxed thing for everybody but especially if you're not used to the local tipping-customs.

Not even looking at the costs, if I book a package as a guest, I don't want to keep reminding myself about things I'll still have to pay. If I buy a diner-package, I want the tip to be included. The hassle of not having it included is more annoying to me than the fact that the same package will cost me more next year (well cost? Got it free this year).

With so many people returning and used to the DDP with tip included, a excluded tip from 2008 on will cause a lot of miscommunications, angry guests and fed up servers. Now, how is that benefitting anyone?

Not good at all. Guests apparently still pay the same DDP price, but now have to tip. They lose.
Servers no longer get the 18% added tip. With many folks on the DDP looking to save $$, the servers will undoubtedly lose. I can see many people not tipping at all, or just a middling amount. A situation which hopefully the "suggested" tip card might help avoid.
As far as DDE goes (which I have), we've always tipped at least 20% on the before-discount total. The fact that they added an 18% tip to the DDE makes me think that many guests don't tip on the before discount amount.

I think you are right that people don't tip on the the before discount amount. We have the DDE card and so do good friends of ours. We had a conversation one night about the tip with the DDE card and they insisted you were supposed to tip on the amount AFTER the 20% was taken off. I pointed out that this kind of ripped off the servers. These people are not cheap (by nature) and were truly baffled. They asked what the point is of using the card if you don't tip on the amount after the 20% is removed. :confused3 They do tip 20%, but on the discounted total. They thought that is what you were supposed to do.

The DDP will be around 40-45 dollars a day for an adult 10 or older and 20-25 for a child under 10 ... and no grats, come on is Disney really that stupid. At least 50% of the people who do ddp will NOT do it under those terms. Right now people figure the annoyances you have to deal with such as having to use CS and TS, having to do the ddp for everyone in the room, ect... is worth the savings, but if it cost that much and no grats and you still have the annoyances, what's the point? I'd pay OOP in a sec if they actually go through with this... and I'll eat at the cheapest places available.

This is not the first time this topic has ben posted here and each time it solicits lots of feedback.

Just want to point out that the person posting this information just joined the DIS and this looks like the only postings fromt hat person. But the person seems quite knowledgeable about the DIS. :stir:

Take this for what its worth, but until it is OFFICIALLY announced by Disney, it isn't fact.

I'm not a paranoiac by a long shot, but the OP said on another thread that the new Yak and Yeti restaurant was "just a concrete foundation."

Uh, having seen the structure with my own eyes, I've got to disagree. So I'm just a little wary of hyperbole.

OP, I'm not doubting your integrity, but you need to protect your credibility, and stating something that is contrary to what is a concrete fact is problematic.

Wouldn't You Think The Cast members In the Union like myself would know before Disney makes it official???? I have been with disney for 12 years as a server, I am letting you know what is in the new Union contract effective Jan 1st 2008 , no Grat on DDP, 18% grat on DDE cards, 18% on parties of 6 or more instead of 8, printed suggestions of 18% and 20% on the bottom of all guest checks, and those White Cards that explain in different languages on how to tip...

To that lady who said to get a real job and not be a server ??? Whats up with that?? At Disney we are all professional servers disney will not hire servers unless they have 3 years experience in a great restaurant, This is something I went to school for, fine dining service, In other Countries, being a server Is a profession, Its not our fault that Florida only pays 3.65 hr plus tips, So learn how to tip those who are in charge of getting your food out to you, or eat at Fast food places

thats to bad
its a great part of that plan
its saves you $
I hope if wdw does this that they let people know so servers dont get stiffed

I'm not a paranoiac by a long shot, but the OP said on another thread that the new Yak and Yeti restaurant was "just a concrete foundation."

Uh, having seen the structure with my own eyes, I've got to disagree. So I'm just a little wary of hyperbole.

OP, I'm not doubting your integrity, but you need to protect your credibility, and stating something that is contrary to what is a concrete fact is problematic.

Ok well I was at animal kingdom about 2 weeks ago and it was all concrete, they must now be moving to get it done by the Holidayss, but Landrys will own it, and No they will not take DDP, If it was a Disney location i wouldnt have any Doubt in my Mind that it would be finish by now

if anyone wants to purchase one of these cards you can call 407.566.
5858 To buy it, They are backed up on them now, so don't wait till the last minute to buy them, and starting Jan 1st 2008 auto 18% grat will be added to the first total on your bill , But not until then unless your a party of 8 or more

This will be our 3rd year pulled back to Disney by the free dining plan. Every year we talk about going somewhere else, but that free food drags us back. The ease of the plan would make it worth buying and we most likely would if free dining was not offered next year. As much as I love Disney, the dining plan alone would be enough to bring us back. (We love the convenience and the fun of eating at restaurants we normally can't afford). However, if Disney takes away the gratuity, they take away the ease of the plan (and also a big chunk of the value). If they follow through with this, we will definately choose another destination next year (unless perhaps they offer it free again ;) ). Before free dining, we used to go to Yellowstone and the white mountains of New Hampshire. They are both beautiful and I've learned how to do those trips very reasonably. :goodvibes

Today The Union contract was passed.... So all of us servers and bartenders hope you will all call and complain...

They are still charging the full price for the dining plan and there are rumors that they wanna totally get rid of the food plan......

Please help your cast members that you care for.:headache:

So the servers voted to accept this part of the contract???
Then you want us to call and complain to get it out of the contract???
Doesn't that go against what you all voted for???

Any potential savings from the food plan will now be wiped out with the tip, so, no big deal if it goes away for me...

Disneyserver said:
During the free DDP months when disney gives away the dining plan, the people are the rudest to us, so why should we have no grat included on the bullies we deal with...

Wow, thanks for lumping all of us into the "rude" and "bully" box!

The DDP will be around 40-45 dollars a day for an adult 10 or older and 20-25 for a child under 10 and not Include a Tip, and if your a party of 6 they will present u a seperate check for the gratuity for the server, the DDE card u need to pay for that card, and it gets u 205 off for a year for under 80 dollars and will include 18% grat effective Jan 1st 2008 The DDE card is not valid on major Holidays ..

Isn't the plan $38 adult and $11 child right now with the tip included? So you are saying it's going up to $40-$45 adult and $20-$24 child (increase of 50%) AND with this DDP increase in price, it won't include the tip of 18%.

I find that hard to believe. That's a huge increase.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't have a problem with the tip being removed from the plan.

For us the plan is a good deal with or without the tip included.

The tip cards sounds like a great idea, they won't make me uncomfortable at all..:thumbsup2

So the servers voted to accept this part of the contract???
Then you want us to call and complain to get it out of the contract???
Doesn't that go against what you all voted for???

Any potential savings from the food plan will now be wiped out with the tip, so, no big deal if it goes away for me...

Wow, thanks for lumping all of us into the "rude" and "bully" box!

DISNEY SERVERS VOTED NO FOR THE CONTRACT, REMEBER WE ARE ABOUT 800 OF THE 27,000 PEOPLE IN THE UNION AND WE VOTED NO, AND THE BULLY PART IS FOR THE PEOPLE WHO COME FOR FREE DINING, SOME OF THEM IN THEORY HAVE NEVER EATEN AT A FULL SERVICE RESTUARANT EXCEPT MAYBE A FAST FOOD BREAKFAST PLACE, BUTMOST ON THE FREE DINING PLAN ARE REALLY GOOD AND EVEN OVER TIP US...

if anyone wants to purchase one of these cards you can call 407.566.
5858 To buy it, They are backed up on them now, so don't wait till the last minute to buy them, and starting Jan 1st 2008 auto 18% grat will be added to the first total on your bill , But not until then unless your a party of 8 or more

I wouldn't buy the DDE card now if I don't need it yet since it is activated at the time of purchase.

You guys are being really harsh on the OP.

They're upset & I would be too! I can certainly understand why they would say that guests visiting during free dining would be rude. With all the talk that goes on here about maximizing and getting ever last cent out of the DDP, I can see that some guests may be a bit on the forceful side about getting what they want.

If you're upset about the DDP changing, then let Disney know.

Disneyserver, thanks for posting the info :thumbsup2

In the end it will be the servers who lose. We have all seen the posts that people will not tip at Disney because the CM does not know them and they will not be remembered. Toss in the tip "reminder" and those looking for an excuse to stiff their server will have found one. :sad2:

I'm afraid that I am not going to be purchasing th plan if the price increases and the benefits decrease, and if there are others who are not sure the that value is worth the convenience, they may not purchase it either.

As you say, it will be interesting to see if the "new" DDP will still be incentive enough to keep folks in Disney Resorts, Disney restaurants and Disney gift shops. If people need to rent a vehicle to eat off site, they may well determine that they will save even more money and stay off site. Time will tell, and in the meantime, I hope that the servers who work so hard will not be the ones who pay the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter