Disney Club..... worth it?

dedala

Believes in the Magic, experienced it 1st hand 9/
I was wondering if anyone is a member of the Disney Club, the $40 Membership seems a little steep I was wondering if it is worth it. I am planning on going to WDW in November, we have 3 1 day passes from 9/11/01 and my hubby travels alot for business so we have 1 round rip ticket form Southwest for free, so as you can tell I am trying to keep this LOW budget....
Thanks in advance
Denise:)

If you sign up for the DC before Feb. 15 and use the code on Mousesavers you will save 10.00.:)

I was just on the website, do you save $$ on the all star hotels & passes or is it just for Vacation packages?

Dedela, I don't recall right offhand if there are AS discounts, but there are some occasionally for other resorts, Disney Store merch, certain passes, etc.

We actually use ours to get a discount at our local Pizza Hut. If you do any more traveling, the Entertainment club component of the card gives hefty discounts at other hotels. For instance, I'm saving $40/night in Nashville next week on a business trip.

It was worth it for us.

The DC discount is exactly the same as the AAA discount, in most cases (or slightly higher, even) So if you already belong to AAA and do not shop at the DS often, skip the card.

Wanda

Think I will skip it thanks for the info....

I recently joined the DC using the $10 off discount code someone posted on these boards (I think it is the same on currently listed on mousesavers' site). I hesitated for a long time because people here said we won't save much on the park tickets and we don't plan to stay onsite. I am so glad I joined. I have yet to book our upcoming WDW rental because we're still tweaking the dates (wondering how many days to add onto our definite one week stay). However, I have priced the rental car rates for our potential dates and the DC contract code + the current coupon code will shave about $80 off of the best National rate -- that comes to about a ~ $25 - $60 off the cheapest rate I can find from any other MCO onsite rental car company. But that's not all. We're going to Maui in July and I've been checking rental car rates, plugging whatever discount codes I can find with different companies. With the same DC contract number and that additional free day coupon, I shaved ~ $80 off of the best National rental car price for the week, which comes to about ~$60 less than the cheapest alternative rental company for a Maui airport rental. I am elated! If you have other trips this year where you may need to rent a car, definitely consider joining DC. We still plan to use the DC for food discounts during our WDW trip. And we may use it for the Hopper tickets, even though we might be able to save a few dollars more per ticket if we use a third pary agency. We also plan to use it for the Disney Quest discount ($5 per adult). But even if we don't save another penny, I'm more than satisfied about the club. :pinkbounc

However, penny for penny, you could just invest $20 - $25 in your local Entertainment book to get similar or better discounts, especially on car rentals, instead of $30 or $40 for the DC club card!

OK, DC card gives you free membership in National's Emerald Club (a savings of $50) But after I got mine, I realized that the main advantage is to avoid lines at the counter in airports. No substantial discounts stood out.

Don't get me wrong, I own one myself. But you can't say that with Entertainment and AAA around it is the best investment available. The DC card really pays off if you shop at the DS often. Other than that, you can get pretty much the same or better discounts elsewhere.

Wanda

The Entertainment Book is a great discount book. (I have a copy of our local version.) However, the car rental coupons there do not get me close to the savings I get when I use the DC contract code + coupon. The DC contract code takes a huge chunk off the base rent price; many of the conventional car rental coupons take the discount off a higher base rental price than the one you get when you shop online without using any codes.

Thanks for posting this question. I too was wondering about the Disney Club.

And as far as I know, DC discount is the ONLY way to get a break on the annual passes.

Herc..

just booked my april vaction . per my travel agent the club card saved me around 330.00
and thats without a rental car . If i had rented a car the savings would have been more.

I dont care what anyone says get this card , with what ive saved over the last few years its more than paid for itself.
For years to come in fact .

lol:smooth:

I also thought the DC card was a waste of money. But this past year I used it several times at the Disney store, bought discounted passes, got a great car rental rate, and got several coupons for use at the Disney store ($10 off a $10 or more purchase, and a free snowglobe!). And, in April I intend to use it for 20% off at any restaurant at the Dolphin (where I'm staying). I'm now a believer...

Has anyone here checked the NEW 2002 DC Benifits??

Apparently not!! Or you would all be aware that.....

The DC card gives you DISNEY RESORT HOTEL ALL YEAR ROUND ROOM DISCOUNTS!! as well as Food Discounts.

To check out the 2002 Disney Club card Benifits click this link
http://www.wdwig.com/disneyclub.htm

Yes, Tink, but in comparison to AAA's room discounts, there is no difference.

I even had a CM at CRO compare both rates for me, for a booking in August. Owning the DC, I had to choose AAA's offer for more substantial savings and discounts, at least until some code pops out for those dates that beats what I have now!
As of today, AAA's rates beat DC's for those dates.

In my experience, if you have AAA or even Entertainment, do not shop at the DS very often then it may take you a very long time to pay off the cost of the card in savings!

Wanda

Humpbacks1962,in March 27,2001,there were no codes,no AP discounts,noDC discounts.

Yes there was a AAA discount this is what it was-
All Stars - $109.00 a night no Discount
All Stars -$104.00 a night with AAA Discount=$5.00 off

This year March 27,2002 [and all year!!]
All Stars - $92.65 with DC Discount[$109.x-15%
off=$92.65]=$16.35 off

In other Disney Seasons there is a 20% off.

Is that better than AAA??

Tink
Im very aware !!!! Like I said < The Dis card saved me 330 dollars this trip and thats without a rental carl . Thats saving 330.00 on room and passes ALONE.
if we had rented a car we would have saved even more.

Plus what the disney card Saved me last trip, Had to be about 400.00
Plus what my wife spends at the disney store.

id say over the last 3 years the card has saved me about close to 1000.00

Tink, you should relax before you post such fanatical loyalty to the DC card.

I don't know why the heck you quote March rates, when I base my words on my experience booking for August. The CM at CRO quoted me a rate for DC and another for AAA. You know well that there are no codes published as of this date for the end of August. I ended up picking AAA's, namely WEG code (WGE, WGD, WDG or something like that - I was not paying attention to the code) Because it saved me more money than DC. As far as I was concerned, I did not need DC for a thing.

Don't be so fanatical about it, guys. I have yet to see a time when DC room rates beat codes and other discounts. For all that loyalty, Disney does not give anyone a free night anywhere, so just keep the options opened for anyone considering membership in the club. Unless you shop at the DS often, you won't get your membership's worth any time soon.

Wanda

We saved about $500 on our AS reservations with RMP during prime season (Easter Week) AAA couldn't even come close. My regular Travel Agent was so impressed (not the AAA agent) that she purchased a membership herself. Also to renew this year it was only about $30 -- not a bad return I'd say. And the Disney Magazine is another nice bonus -- especially the new Spring issue just out! :cool:

I spent $30 dollars for the card last August before our trip. I saved that much on the discount I was able to get for my park hoppers so with just that I broke even. I also saved 10% on my purchases at the World of Disney store, at least another $10 saved. I get the Disney Magazine with my DC card, savings of $20 over the subscription price. I have gotten a few discounts coupons through the DC mailings, probably saved $10 here as well. I just spent a night at a hotel and saved 50% off my rate, AAA could only get me 10% off, savings of $40.

Total savings: $80 (minus the original sign up fee)

I don't shop at the Disney store because it is too far away but I was still able to save enough with my DC card that I will again renew next year. The card isn't for everyone but there are good discounts available if you use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter