Disney and Autism Photos

Thanks for sharing! I love it when you can get a great picture of them looking right at the camera (something that doesn't happen often with our younger dd Zoe). You guys have some terrific photos.

We don't get those to often either, lots of pix with eyes cut to the side! My oldest did take one of him on our Jan trip that I just treasure...let me find it LOL
DSC03932.jpg

and this one is the two of them together...right after she got her face painted.
100_9082.jpg

benautismfinnew.jpg

Ohh those days are so much fun aren't they!? My 16yo NT son puts his hand in front of his face every time I try to take a picture!!! Did she enjoy Disney een if she didn't like the camera? :cool2:

yes she loves disney but only on her terms, once she's had enough we all know about it, she had a bad day that day with bees, she is terrified of anything that buzzes and after a lot of screeching the banana was a much needed distraction ;)

there are some gorgeous pics on here and in comparrison my two seem so grown up

The honey pot is what you ride in on the Pooh Ride at MK.

If you go to YouTube and look for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh you can actually take the ride :goodvibes

We rode it over and over and over and over and over..................................

Ok heading over to youtube to find it! As many times as we have been to disney we are new to "preschool disney"!

yes she loves disney but only on her terms, once she's had enough we all know about it, she had a bad day that day with bees, she is terrified of anything that buzzes

My ds is like that, too. It was so bad for awhile, he didn't want to even go outside!
He has had an aversion to characters for years, so we were shocked last summer when he wanted Mickey ears and wore them all the way home (ME, two airports, flight and drive home). He says it's cool now that he's in highschool! So, of course, my priceless pic is him in his ears!

Lots of good pictures.
These photos are from 2006 and DD was just 3 years old and diagnosed with ASD just 5 months before. She was very unsure about the Disney characters at Chef Mickey's!
Donald.jpg

Goofy.jpg

Swimming at our resort, the Contemporary
Pool.jpg

The carousel at the Magic Kingdom
Carousel1.jpg
She looks like she did great. A lot of 3 yr olds who don't have ASD have a hard time with the characters at first, so those pictures look especially good.

How Do I Add A Picture?
First you have to have the picture on a website somewhere. There is a place on the DIS site to post pictures. Here's a link to the DIS site's photo page. Just above the pictures on that page, there is a link to log in - if you have not registered yet, it will bring you to a place to register. Then you can download pictures. Another good site to download your pictures to is http://www.flickr.com/

Once your pictures are somewhere on the internet, you can click on the one you want to post. You need to get the address of the picture; you can do that by right clicking (for Windows) or ctrl click (for Mac). Copy the address.
To put it into a post, look at the icons right above the message window in your post. Click on the second on from the right. It is a little yellow square with a mountain in it. It's between the one that looks like a letter with an envelope and the one that looks like a cartoon word balloon.

Oh my gosh, ya'lls lettle blessings are soooo cute! I have no idea how to post pics, so you probably won't get any from me. I have a question for preschoolmom though. My DD is sensory avoiding so we were concerned about the Contemporary and the fireworks noise. Could you hear them from in the room? Thanks Nicole

Ireland_nicole - No, not at all. We were in the tower, facing away from the Magic Kingdom. We couldn't hear anything at all in our room. The monorail is actually quite quiet - and we never heard any kind of fireworks.

There is a really cute electric water parade that goes by on the bay side. DH and I watched it most every night - but the kiddos slept through it (they play music pretty loud, but I couldn't really hear it in the room at all).

Hope this helps!

My DD loved the characters. Especially Chip and Dale. She even let Chip take off her bunny ears which at that time only came off to wash her hair.
972543151403_0_ALB.jpg

I am really enjoying the photos everyone! Thank you for starting this thread.

Although it appears that DD is enjoying the characters at Chef Mickey's what you don't see in the photos is the 30 minute meltdown she had in the restaurant when we arrived. We tried to transition her from a nap to Chef Mickeys way too quickly. We were staying at the Contemporary. By the end of the meal she was okay but Jim and I were emotionally exhausted. We learned a lesson.

Madelyn is now 5 and has different issues but we will still not wake her from a nap to make an ADR. That is probably a mistake for any child, not just ASD. Madelyn is our only child so we are still learning. :)

For the most part Madelyn is a sensory seeker and the more action going on to keep her stimulated, she is less likely to self stim. She hand flaps, flicks her fingers, mouths objects, twirls things, and repeats sounds over and over as her self stims. She is also non-verbal. Someone asked about the fireworks from the Contemporary. For some reason Madelyn did not like the fireworks, even from the distance at the Contemporary. We could watch them from our room window (in the now gone North Garden Wing) but she did not like viewing them outside. We hope the Poly is a little better for her this year. She is also 2 years older.

Although it appears that DD is enjoying the characters at Chef Mickey's what you don't see in the photos is the 30 minute meltdown she had in the restaurant when we arrived. We tried to transition her from a nap to Chef Mickeys way too quickly. We were staying at the Contemporary. By the end of the meal she was okay but Jim and I were emotionally exhausted. We learned a lesson.

I think we have all made these kind of mistakes :) Our Chef Mickey story isn't too pretty either. I planned months in advance for this trip, soo excited to take my son on the monorail, to meet Mickey, etc. This kid fights sleep every night and we are lucky to get him to bed by 11pm. Well, wouldn't you know, he fell asleep on the bus on the way to MK at 5:30 and slept through the entire dinner. I spent $150 to watch my older kids roll their eyes at the characters LOL

(((((Madelyn's Mom)))))

My Bug (just turned five) had some terrific meltdowns in the World last week. One in Fantasyland was downright spectacular!

We've ALL been there....

:rolleyes1 :rolleyes: :grouphug: :flower3: :upsidedow

Talking about meltdowns.... Any of you with older kiddies? I know how tough it is when the little ones have meltdowns but then again, people kind of expect to see toddlers and preschoolers having meltdowns. Have you ever had your older Child have one? Matthew is now 12 and has recently had a HUGE growth spurt and has almost completed puberty. He is taller than me and even has the start of a little peach fuzz. He doesnt throw himself to the ground anymore but he will get really, really angry and start screaming stuff such as "everyone is stupid, everyone needs to die, I want to die, and sometimes just nonsensical stuff." How have you handled something like this at a place like Disney? His rages only last a few minutes but I'm sure you can see how horrible it can look to passer-bys.

yes my 14yr old still has meltdowns that are downright scary and we have a lot of this i want to kill myself stuff going on too with some self harming just starting to happen :sad2:

i'm hoping it's just the teenage hormones and she will calm a little when her body adjusts

she will calm probably just in time for the younger child to hit his scary teens:scared1:

she had a spectacular meltdown with the bees in mgm and epcot, i think people thought we were trying to murder her from her screeching, i just hold her as tight as she will allow and close my eyes so i don't see those looking who think it's good to gawp and that my daughters distressed state makes for good viewing :mad: i hold and hope it will blow over fast whils't i hear my husband reassure the younger one and asking people what do they think they are looking at:mad:

it's so strange after a meltdown how you can look again from anything to a few minutes to an hour later and see a totally different child

Talking about meltdowns.... Any of you with older kiddies? I know how tough it is when the little ones have meltdowns but then again, people kind of expect to see toddlers and preschoolers having meltdowns. Have you ever had your older Child have one? Matthew is now 12 and has recently had a HUGE growth spurt and has almost completed puberty. He is taller than me and even has the start of a little peach fuzz. He doesnt throw himself to the ground anymore but he will get really, really angry and start screaming stuff such as "everyone is stupid, everyone needs to die, I want to die, and sometimes just nonsensical stuff." How have you handled something like this at a place like Disney? His rages only last a few minutes but I'm sure you can see how horrible it can look to passer-bys.

I am right there with ya! :hug: My DS11 has melt downs like that and people look at us like we are crazy! He is taller than me now (he has always been taller than most kids his age) so he REALLY gets the strange and rude looks from people who don't know he has autism. :upsidedow :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter