**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

With the last December date being almost a month away from the January 7 date, Im guessing I should arrive for 7 (its an 8 pm start time) since we are going to the event that evening.

Staying at BLT so super happy we can walk to/from the park and made Wave ressies for dinner at 515. We can eat, go to room get our stuff and walk to MK.

We will mot be watching fireworks. Should I start with the easy stuff like CoP, HoP, People Mover, etc. if so, should I go to Adventureland for 8 and save Fantsayland for last? We are three adults.

With the last December date being almost a month away from the January 7 date, Im guessing I should arrive for 7 (its an 8 pm start time) since we are going to the event that evening.

Staying at BLT so super happy we can walk to/from the park and made Wave ressies for dinner at 515. We can eat, go to room get our stuff and walk to MK.

We will mot be watching fireworks. Should I start with the easy stuff like CoP, HoP, People Mover, etc. if so, should I go to Adventureland for 8 and save Fantsayland for last? We are three adults.
I think that’s a pretty good plan. You could also have some FPS booked for the first part before dah starts. We started in Adventureland and used FPS on splash, btmr, and haunted mansion. We also did country bears and HoP. I think ending in fantasyland is the best idea.

If my DH ever said that to me I'd have my room booked same day haha! Only in my dreams though. Even minus the crowds he's not a big MK fan. We're only going again next year because I'm buying our tickets with my Christmas money.
I think our main problem is we might be going to gulf shores in February because my parents are going for a month. Dh has never been to the beach so we thought it would be something different. We also are super flexible on dates so we are struggling to narrow down dah dates and look at plane tickets that way. Usually we fly with frontier but for some reason they have raised our flights to mco by a ton. We have southwest points but again since we have flexible dates we are struggling to pick when to go. February/March is hard with avoiding Presidents’ Day, half marathon, Mardi Gras, and spring break crowds.

Last edited:
I think our main problem is we might be going to gulf shores in February because my parents are going for a month. Dh has never been to the beach so we thought it would be something different. We also are super flexible on dates so we are struggling to narrow down dah dates and look at plane tickets that way. Usually we fly with frontier but for some reason they have raised our flights to mco by a ton. We have southwest points but again since we have flexible dates we are struggling to pick when to go. February is hard with avoiding Presidents’ Day, half marathon, and Mardi Gras.

Mardi Gras is March 5 this year.

Mardi Gras is March 5 this year.
We normally go that last week in February and into the first week of March so that’s kind of what I meant but I guess I should have been a little more clear. We usually try to go in between the half marathon and spring break crowds but Mardi Gras is in between this year.

I think that’s a pretty good plan. You could also have some FPS booked for the first part before dah starts. We started in Adventureland and used FPS on splash, btmr, and haunted mansion. We also did country bears and HoP. I think ending in fantasyland is the best idea.

I would like to book FPs for 7 but worried it will knock off my last day of FPs on January 11, which is our MK day. I thought I had read reports its 50/50 people being okay with FPs and people having their last day canceled.

Im just worried and for really one, maybe two FPs, thinking not going to risk it.

Can’t quite tell if this is what you mean, but just making sure you know things like CoP and HoP aren’t open during DAH... so you’re only option is 7-8pm. Check the times for those specific attractions as well since they sometimes close before park close.

Sorry if you already know that!

As far as where to start, I don’t think it personally matters all that much so you can pretty much do what suits you. Adventureland seems legit to me. Or whatever path gets you away from the Hub/waiting fireworks crowd the fastest! :-)

My only real strategy recommendation with DAH is to leave 7DMT until later on in the night... like the last hour or 30 mins. That’s the one ride that keeps a pretty steady line much of the night. Honorable mentions in this same camp can also be PP and Speedway, generally speaking. Speedway only runs one lane and a painfully low number of cars, so even slower loading than usual.

I would like to book FPs for 7 but worried it will knock off my last day of FPs on January 11, which is our MK day. I thought I had read reports its 50/50 people being okay with FPs and people having their last day canceled.

Im just worried and for really one, maybe two FPs, thinking not going to risk it.

Yeah, it’s a valid concern and comes with the same possible risk/outcome as folks who do it with MNSSHP and MVMCP tickets. In my opinion not worth it for such a short window between 7pm and DAH start.

Hope that helps!

Can’t quite tell if this is what you mean, but just making sure you know things like CoP and HoP aren’t open during DAH... so you’re only option is 7-8pm. Check the times for those specific attractions as well since they sometimes close before park close.

Sorry if you already know that!

As far as where to start, I don’t think it personally matters all that much so you can pretty much do what suits you. Adventureland seems legit to me. Or whatever path gets you away from the Hub/waiting fireworks crowd the fastest! :-)

My only real strategy recommendation with DAH is to leave 7DMT until later on in the night... like the last hour or 30 mins. That’s the one ride that keeps a pretty steady line much of the night. Honorable mentions in this same camp can also be PP and Speedway, generally speaking. Speedway only runs one lane and a painfully low number of cars, so even slower loading than usual.

Yeah, it’s a valid concern and comes with the same possible risk/outcome as folks who do it with MNSSHP and MVMCP tickets. In my opinion not worth it for such a short window between 7pm and DAH start.

Hope that helps!

Oops, thank you. Im glad you pointed that out about the attractions that arent open. I need to reread your first page :crazy:

Ill do PeopleMover and make our way to Adventure Land area. PP will be closed our night and we are not doing Speedway.

I am also happy you talked about FP. You have made up my mind. I am not getting a FP for that night for 7-8. Not worth it for me. We will be back in MK the end of our trip and will RD and have our FPs so not going to worry.

Thank you again and thanks so much for keeping this thread up to date. I really learned a lot (well have to study harder about open attractions lol).

FP day is rapidly approaching and I need a plan!

We only have one day at MK on 2/28 and we are doing RD through to DAH (8-11pm). FP day will put MK at 60+2 so probably won't get a 7DMT during the day but we will ride a bunch during DAH.

Do I try for the usual biggies?

Or do I plan to head toward Adventureland and work clockwise?

Or Race to Space to start off with a bang and move counter clockwise?

I have so much freedom since we can ride the hard to get FP rides during DAH that now I'm at a loss on how to even start planning! Tough problem to have, huh?

We only have 1 day at MK as well. We still got FPs for the biggies because I'd hate to not ride something during the day and then be unable to ride it during DAH because it was down for some reason.

We only have 1 day at MK as well. We still got FPs for the biggies because I'd hate to not ride something during the day and then be unable to ride it during DAH because it was down for some reason.

Ah. Good point!

Count us in for April 4th! I was debating between this one (loved the event last August) or trying the AK DAH, but decided to go with MK.
I was thinking about doing AK DAH, but there Is more bang for your buck at MK and the opportunity to ride 7DMT many, many times excites me. Its one of my favorite rides in all of the parks. Not to mention POC, PP, SM, TM, SM, teacups and the list goes on.

I was thinking about doing AK DAH, but there Is more bang for your buck at MK and the opportunity to ride 7DMT many, many times excites me. Its one of my favorite rides in all of the parks. Not to mention POC, PP, SM, TM, SM, teacups and the list goes on.
I agree! Definitely more bang for the buck, especially if one attends on a night when MK closes late! I have yet to ride 7DMT because it was being built on our last trip.

I agree! Definitely more bang for the buck, especially if one attends on a night when MK closes late! I have yet to ride 7DMT because it was being built on our last trip.
Then you are in for a great experience. I know there was a lot of people when it first open up or disappointed and I wasn't sure what they're looking but the ride and the theming is amazing. I think it is a very fun ride and at night it's even more exciting. I think you're going to have a lot of fun with it.

We normally go that last week in February and into the first week of March so that’s kind of what I meant but I guess I should have been a little more clear. We usually try to go in between the half marathon and spring break crowds but Mardi Gras is in between this year.

I don’t know what actual Mardi Gras crowds are like overall. I know people recommend against it, but my experience in 2017 was that it was no different to any other of our days. We arrived the Sunday night of the Half. Our first park day was Mon and Mardi Gras was Tues I think. We were there till Fri. The whole week overall did not feel crowded at all, if that’s any help.

Last edited:
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas :) Officially bought our tickets for Feb. 28th, 4th time attending! Staying at the Contemporary this time to avoid the crazy bus experiences we've had. Going with my two girls and our neighbor/friend again! Husband/Grumpy staying at the hotel once again LOL.

Any idea why March 14th isn't included? Apologies if it was answered elsewhere, but I *think* I've read the entire thread. Of course that's the week we are going. Trying to see if I can come a few days early for the March 7 date!
I was hoping for this date too. We are doing a short 5 night trip and thought this would be the perfect solution for the shorter trip. Maybe it's a blessing as it seems like march dates have pretty cold nights. I am from Connecticut so I am used to the cold but I tend to be in the heated house when it's in the 40's.

I was hoping for this date too. We are doing a short 5 night trip and thought this would be the perfect solution for the shorter trip. Maybe it's a blessing as it seems like march dates have pretty cold nights. I am from Connecticut so I am used to the cold but I tend to be in the heated house when it's in the 40's.
We did dah this year the first week of March and it was beautiful out. It’s really hard to tell that time of year what the weather will be like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter