Disappointing Adult Cruise On The Dream

Countless Disney Cruises only one sour experience.

Wife is an Oncology nurse and it's a critical speciality in her state of the art treatment University Hospital.
We were waiting in the embarkation line and her phone lit up, her hospital, short handed begging her to come in.
Kindest human being that ever lived. It's an important request, she headed for Uber, to the airport and to work.

So there was the DBC boarding alone.
They put me at the singles dining table with the most fantastic people I ever encountered. One of the best experiences of my life.

Several girls from England that booked separately were seated as well and they had our wait staff once before. One waiter obnoxious. Sorry to say, but the guy was just plain out of line. Atmosphere went sideways real quick.

I was appointed the Scottish Uncle to go deal with it.
I did, he met me in one of the bars and we had a talk. The server straightened out. One of those guys that never can hold on to a girlfriend and can't figure out why.
Just doesn't get it.

DCL tipping position jobs are prized in the industry. One complaint and they are off at the next port.

I tip $15 a day each to the servers, the room attendant and a few others on board.
I go to the guest services and they give me extra gratuity envelopes.

We never saw our Maître d on this trip and that might have been part of the problem.
He finally showed up for a minute on the last night of the Voyage.

I gave the two waiters their tips and also handed them the Maître d's envelope and told them to split it and keep it confidential.

We'll never cruise any other line but DCL.

Last edited:
OP, you need to move on and just cruise somewhere else. You don't have to like DCL. It's a great cruiseline that isn't right for you.

The bottom line is that you got butt hurt when a crew member made a comment you didn't like. That is coloring all of your other opinions and comments. While some of your comments are just opinions and totally fair (DCL isn't the right fit for everyone), others, such as saying the MDRs are "musty" and the cruise line is like a low-end Caribbean resort, are just inaccurate cheap shots from someone who is disgruntled about a negative cast member interaction.

It's like when someone leaves an outraged one star review for a reputable company because they had one minor negative experience. You have the right to be displeased, but to transpose that displeasure into an assertion that the entire business is bad is irrational. It's the kind of review that most people dismiss, because they know the poster wrote it while angry.
That wasn’t my mind set at all, though I’m sure we’ve all been guilty of letting one piece of negativity cloud our judgement of the entire experience, whatever it is.

By the end of the cruise, my wife and I had decided that DCL pretty much wasn’t for us, that the experience just didn’t measure up to past cruises on other lines. We loved the Disney stuff, even though we don’t wait in line for the meet and greets, etc, loved Castaway Cay and the fireworks.

For us, other non Disney metrics were important, and that’s where we were disappointed. The food quality, rushed pace of the MDRs, the fact that we felt Cabanas didn’t compare to venues on other lines and was closed for dinner, just didn’t seem in line with the better experiences we had on other lines in our 20 cruises. And, because it was Disney, we had pretty high expectations going in. Maybe the mistake lies there, on our end, but honestly I’m not convinced.

That said, we’re not the types to just sit there angry and grumpy for 5 days, so we made the best of it and put the negativity aside. But I posted about it anyway because I was genuinely curious if our experience was some kind of outlier.

The unfriendly crew member is kind of a side note, but I thought it was worth noting because I never experienced it before on any cruise, or even once at DL or WDW in the years we’ve been travelling. It certainly wasn’t a happy goodbye, or that famous “good night kiss.” And my question was not confrontational or angry in any way whatsoever, I was more just curious, and asked it to pass the time in the endless line to get off.

But the main takeaway to that last day was that the disembark, in comparison to other lines, didn’t seem well organized at all, and I thought it was a bit self serving that we weren’t told Cabanas was open, so we never thought to go up and check. Didn’t even occur to me, since it was our first DCL cruise and I thought that was just how they did things. My only thought is that DCL didn’t want us up there to get us off the ship faster. Good for them, but bad for us!

I have only done one Disney cruise 7 night Fantasy last November. I found the DCL app super useful about dining hours for the various locations. Last day we did Cabanas and then went to D Lounge which was empty to wait for our luggage group to be called - Red Mickey. After it was called we just walked down to the atrium and were basically at the end of the people doing express walk off . We saw some of our table mates who were doing express. Walked off the ship, found our luggage, breezed through customs and was at Epcot by 11 am . Got 3 more cruises booked - Oct on Fantasy, Nov on Wish and Feb on Treasure

I have only done one Disney cruise 7 night Fantasy last November. I found the DCL app super useful about dining hours for the various locations. Last day we did Cabanas and then went to D Lounge which was empty to wait for our luggage group to be called - Red Mickey. After it was called we just walked down to the atrium and were basically at the end of the people doing express walk off . We saw some of our table mates who were doing express. Walked off the ship, found our luggage, breezed through customs and was at Epcot by 11 am . Got 3 more cruises booked - Oct on Fantasy, Nov on Wish and Feb on Treasure
Yeah, in retrospect we definitely should have checked the app for cabanas. But the day before, the cruise director gave a long speech over the PA system explaining how everyone who wants breakfast should take all of their luggage out of the cabin, take their bags down to the dining room they visited the night before, and have breakfast there, at specific times depending on whether they had early or late seating.

The speech was not short, and very thorough. Since he didn’t mention cabanas, unlike the disembark instructions on other cruises, I never thought to check the app. I guess that’s a first timer’s mistake, but in my opinion it really should have been mentioned as an option.

Last edited:
I agree with OP that Disney disembarkation is unusually unpleasant

I guess I have a very high tolerance threshold, aside from it being a long boring line in February (which moved pretty quickly, but the app instructed us to be off the ship by 745 for resort transfers) and even back in 2014, I don't remember anything other it being a long boring line that moved quickly.

The worst part in February was trying to locate all our luggage.

Side note: I'm never doing resort transfers again. The waiting on the bus for an hour was terrible.

I guess I have a very high tolerance threshold, aside from it being a long boring line in February (which moved pretty quickly, but the app instructed us to be off the ship by 745 for resort transfers) and even back in 2014, I don't remember anything other it being a long boring line that moved quickly.

The worst part in February was trying to locate all our luggage.

Side note: I'm never doing resort transfers again. The waiting on the bus for an hour was terrible.
I have two physical disabilities that are both exacerbated by standing so the long slow line to get off the ship followed (sometimes) by another line in the terminal and then another line at customs (with all our bags!) is probably more stressful for our family than the average family. My husband has requested we stop doing 3-4 day cruises because the ratio of great cruise to stressful disembarkation morning is too low.

It’s not worse than the waiting around you encounter at the theme parks, but compared to the other lines we’ve sailed, there is a noticeable difference in efficiency getting off the ship — but it does appear you can avoid if if you’re willing to wake before dawn and wait around to be the first one off with your own luggage.

Your transfer experience reminded me, the OP didn’t mention it but our shore excursions with Disney have also generally been below expectations for logistics. Often a significant wait in the lounge and then a long wait/walk down a pier (especially Cozumel) and a LOT of standing around in the sun/heat before finally boarding the coach that takes you where you’re going. We avoid Disney group excursions now.

I have two physical disabilities that are both exacerbated by standing so the long slow line to get off the ship followed (sometimes) by another line in the terminal and then another line at customs (with all our bags!) is probably more stressful for our family than the average family. My husband has requested we stop doing 3-4 day cruises because the ratio of great cruise to stressful disembarkation morning is too low.

It’s not worse than the waiting around you encounter at the theme parks, but compared to the other lines we’ve sailed, there is a noticeable difference in efficiency getting off the ship — but it does appear you can avoid if if you’re willing to wake before dawn and wait around to be the first one off with your own luggage.

Your transfer experience reminded me, the OP didn’t mention it but our shore excursions with Disney have also generally been below expectations for logistics. Often a significant wait in the lounge and then a long wait/walk down a pier (especially Cozumel) and a LOT of standing around in the sun/heat before finally boarding the coach that takes you where you’re going. We avoid Disney group excursions now.
We didn’t take any excursions. On Grand Cayman, we just took a cab to a breakfast place for a good acaii bowl and a long walk on 7 mile beach, and on Castaway Cay went bike riding and then hung out on Serenity Bay.
We’ve found that we enjoy exploring around ourselves more. In defense of Disney, I think most, if not all the excursions for all the lines are pretty much handled by the same operators.

Yeah I think they called our bag tag character shortly after the express walk off group, by the time we left marcellines and made it to deck 3, it was a long line but I don't remember it taking much more than 5/10 minutes, it felt like less time than the line at check in at embarkation. I have a 3 year old who doesn't handle lines well, and we didn't have to wrangle her as much in the line to get off the ship.
And the line at customs was super fast (we grabbed a porter to help us with all our bags, and probably gave him whatever was left of our cash 😂 )

I think most of your points have been discussed but ultimately it comes down to what is most important to you when cruising. DCL just isn't prioritizing what you value. For me, the service of the crew in every location is far more important than how good the buffet is or if the bars have windows. Therefore DCL is worth the extra money to me. That's what value means for me. Then there's the pixie dust of interacting with the characters, like seeing Tiana in the atrium and having her remember me from dinner two nights ago. That's worth far more to me than fancier food. I'll choose fireworks over truffles every time, It's something I'm willing to pay more for. And I willingly pay even more for concierge to get the express walk off, private lounge, first seating for shows... You're willing to pay extra on another line for access to a certain restaurant. It's just what is more valued to you. That's fine. But to assume that those that only sail DCL are blind to a better cruise experience is to ignore that what is important to you may not be the same as what's important to them.

Several girls from England that booked separately were seated as well and they had our wait staff once before. One waiter obnoxious. Sorry to say, but the guy was just plain out of line. Atmosphere went sideways real quick.

I was appointed the Scottish Uncle to go deal with it.
I have never heard this term before. What is it? Google has failed to provide an answer.

I agree with OP fully on their points. Except disembarkation as we have late dining and purposily try and be the last off the boat so by then thing are calm. My mom cant deal with lines and standing long so we have to plan like that.

The Dream/Fantasy have the worse adult areas, the "pool" is a joke. I have a European sailing this summer and to be honest somewhat regret booking as it's the Dream. I have been spoiled with the Wonder/Magic the past sailings and I LOOOOOOOVE that adult section and pool and Cove Cafe right there. Actually the more I think about it I am sad.

Interestingly I have a Virgin Vogages booked in 3 weeks and then followed up by the Dream. Maybe I should do an adult only comparision. Should be interesting.

Also my peeve about DCL is the pressure for additional tipping.. And that beyond expectation speech. My mom actually said on this next sailing she is only giving 10 euros more per person in the tip envelope (in forums you hear of people tipping 100s on top in total) and that is it. No other cruise line even EXPECTS additional tips and they are paid less.

I also think a general rule for ALL cruiselines. One's persception of a sailing/cruiseline depends very much on two basic things:
1. How packed the ship is as this affects EVERYTHING
2. vibe/type of other passengers...

we have been on MSC twice. first time half ship was full. It was AMAZING
second time packed summer season and it was NOT so amazing.

Yeah, that’s one way of looking at it! I hate to say this, especially as a Disney fan /DVC owner, but this thread has also helped me crystallize my thoughts, which were kind of a negative jumble when we disembarked. Sadly, they’ve gotten even worse as my wife and I process the memory.

The more I think about, since we’re not really into the character meet and greets, as two adults, DCL was inferior in almost every way to the main stream higher end cruise lines we’ve taken in the past, specifically Celebrity, and even Holland America. The food was blah, the buffet for us (which we normally love on other ships) was pretty substandard. Also, super frustrating that it wasn’t even open for dinner, which is no doubt a result of more DCL cheapness. No other line would ever get away with that, and hasn’t to my knowledge even tried. And no crew whatsoever has ever snapped at me on other lines!

The entertainment was good, but it’s good on other lines too, without the long queues.
Great private island, but the other lines are pretty good at that as well.
Not having kids, I think it was a huge mistake, and we should have realized that going in.

I honestly can’t think of a single way it was superior, or even equal to the other lines we’ve tried. Am I missing something? Where was the “Disney Difference?”

I think some of the other cruise lines, such as RCC, especially on their larger ships, which we’ve never tried, are expanding the kids offerings without marginalizing offerings to adults with no kids. Anyway, in its specific kids / family niche, not doubt DCL is the best.

Just not for us.
We are also not into the characters... we cruise DCL for the following:
1. we love the promenade deck.
2. We love the disney vibe/ gift shops which is odd we dont like the character M&G
3. I love the move theater and will bing movies then as I dont get a chance at home to go to them
4. on the older ships I love the adult pool and having cove right there.
5. We love rotational dining and not having to book dining as you do on other cruise lines.. We are booked on virgin and it was a stress booking dining.. I think not having a choice in specific time - either early or late and being told where to go in a way makes vacation for me a vacation as I dont have to plan or think about it..
6. no worrying about checking in and out a pool towel and losing a deposit.
7. Drink stations
8. cooking/tasting shows etc...
9. the community via cruise groups, FEs other private planned events ( 5K on board ) espcieally on special sailings like Hawaii etc... opther cruise lines ahve cruise groups, but I love the door decorationg, exchanging etc...

we will though only sail DCL if we get a good deal. As much as we like DCL we see more value in other lines often when it comes to value for money. as I posted earlier, we are sailing virgin soon and cant wait to compare

Last edited:
Also my peeve about DCL is the pressure for additional tipping.. And that beyond expectation speech. My mom actually said on this next sailing she is only giving 10 euros more per person in the tip envelope (in forums you hear of people tipping 100s on top in total) and that is it. No other cruise line even EXPECTS additional tips and they are paid less.
I never got the experience that DCL in anyway expected additional tips. I have only ever read the comments of people here and in Facebook groups talking about how much they add. But DCL officially says that their automatic gratuities are enough. I just get the impression that Disney fans in general are tending to tip a lot, also at WDW restaurants. We only add to the gratuity if we feel service was more than expected.

I never got tipping pressure on DCL or any pressure to juice the guest experience comments.

Third world employees where a hundred dollars goes ten times farther improving their lives back home than mine.
Every DCL employee I've met has been enlightening and enjoyable, even the dizzy server I had the talk with.

$100 is 4 beers at the ball park for me & friends, to them it's much bigger than that. Ya get $10.000 in appreciation in return.

I also think a general rule for ALL cruiselines. One's persception of a sailing/cruiseline depends very much on two basic things:
1. How packed the ship is as this affects EVERYTHING
2. vibe/type of other passengers...

we have been on MSC twice. first time half ship was full. It was AMAZING
second time packed summer season and it was NOT so amazing.
I agree with you Mousefan 73:

Countless Disney Cruises for us and occasionally there's that one near-by table in the dining rooms where the guests are unhappy and want a Comp to Palo to make it right.
They may get a Palo reservation, but never is it Comp'd from what we've learned.

Mustard seeds in every crowd.
Never experienced or witnessed fights and unruly passengers on DCL like we do on Carnival or others. Never anyone in handcuffs being led off the ship in port by the local police like on Carnival or Celib.
No pre-departure announcement all over the ship reminding all that unruly guests will not be tolerated like on other lines

I think most of your points have been discussed but ultimately it comes down to what is most important to you when cruising. DCL just isn't prioritizing what you value. For me, the service of the crew in every location is far more important than how good the buffet is or if the bars have windows. Therefore DCL is worth the extra money to me. That's what value means for me. Then there's the pixie dust of interacting with the characters, like seeing Tiana in the atrium and having her remember me from dinner two nights ago. That's worth far more to me than fancier food. I'll choose fireworks over truffles every time, It's something I'm willing to pay more for. And I willingly pay even more for concierge to get the express walk off, private lounge, first seating for shows... You're willing to pay extra on another line for access to a certain restaurant. It's just what is more valued to you. That's fine. But to assume that those that only sail DCL are blind to a better cruise experience is to ignore that what is important to you may not be the same as what's important to them.
I love all those magical moments on DCL as well, including the characters and fireworks! I just don’t think they should come at the expense of a buffet with better food and more choices, less rushed service in the MDR, or a disorganized debarkation you have to pay extra, a lot extra, to avoid. I think DCL can and should provide both. I’m not asking for truffles and tea time here, just basic stuff!

I never got the experience that DCL in anyway expected additional tips. I have only ever read the comments of people here and in Facebook groups talking about how much they add. But DCL officially says that their automatic gratuities are enough. I just get the impression that Disney fans in general are tending to tip a lot, also at WDW restaurants. We only add to the gratuity if we feel service was more than expected.
Not sure I agree with you. We thought it was a little odd that after prepaying our gratuities, we still received little pre addressed envelopes in our state room, with little green slips of paper for each separate person we were supposed to tip, with the amount the crew member would be receiving pre printed on each one. We were told that it wasn’t required, but if we wanted we could put each one of the slips into the corresponding envelope, and then give that to the people getting tipped. Huh? We also thought that might be somewhat insulting to the crew members getting tipped, because it also communicates that we decided not to give them any extra.

Isn’t that a little weird? Why all the extra work if you’ve paid the gratuities in advance to avoid additional expenses on the cruise? I think this can be interpreted two ways. First, they were making it easier to provide an envelope to tip extra cash even if you had prepaid the gratuities. Second, it could also have been a subtle reminder (mild pressure?) that even if you prepaid the gratuities, you should consider giving even more.

This is certainly a different way of doing things that I can’t remember ever encountering on other cruise lines.

I agree with you Mousefan 73:

Countless Disney Cruises for us and occasionally there's that one near-by table in the dining rooms where the guests are unhappy and want a Comp to Palo to make it right.
They may get a Palo reservation, but never is it Comp'd from what we've learned.

Mustard seeds in every crowd.
Never experienced or witnessed fights and unruly passengers on DCL like we do on Carnival or others. Never anyone in handcuffs being led off the ship in port by the local police like on Carnival or Celib.
No pre-departure announcement all over the ship reminding all that unruly guests will not be tolerated like on other lines
Agree with you re the disturbing trend of unruly guests and fights breaking out on ships. It can give cruising a bad name and, in my opinion, every cruise line should have a zero tolerance policy. Have never heard of it happening in Celebrity, though, but I don’t follow everyday cruise news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter