Disabled Parking - Cheaters?

SueM in MN said:
Also, the regular handicapped spots are supposed to have a 5 foot wide access spot next to them, which should be wide enough for a car door to fully open without needing to use the van accessible space (which should have an 8 foot wide access space). Some of the spaces are supposed to be on the passenger size and some on the driver side like this:
ADA parking requirements (that is a non-official summary page, but it includes links to the actual ADA site - the info is much harder to find on the actual site).
Anyway, those are the minimum requirements. Minnesota must be pretty good about making places follow them because what is listed there, is pretty much what I find. Some states probably aren't and some places might think all that's involved in providing handicapped parking is putting a sign on one of their regular spots.
If it's not possible to park in a regular handicapped spot and fully open the door, it sounds like the stalls probably do not meet the minimum requirement. Or, they may have all the access spaces on one side - some should be on the passenger side and some should be on the driver side, since the person who needs the extra space may be on either side. If they don't meet the minimum requirements, the place can be forced to change them or be fined.
Wish it was that way here in MN Sue.
The new shopping center in Oakdale just opened and didn't have the right number and correct stipping done. I have been writing letters and they are going to restipe it correct but won't add the spots that need to be there. So I do seee a ADA violation law suit coming their way.
As far as the worst offender it was a 50something guy using a red temp card. I saw him jump out and place the card on the mirrior. The give away was that it was to used and worn out for being a 6 month card. So I looked at the date and saw it was 6 years :confused3 past its expire date. Soooo since it was an open convertible I reached in and grabbed it :ssst: and placed it elsewhere and called the local police.

pugdog said:
Wish it was that way here in MN Sue.
The new shopping center in Oakdale just opened and didn't have the right number and correct stipping done. I have been writing letters and they are going to restipe it correct but won't add the spots that need to be there. So I do seee a ADA violation law suit coming their way.
As far as the worst offender it was a 50something guy using a red temp card. I saw him jump out and place the card on the mirrior. The give away was that it was to used and worn out for being a 6 month card. So I looked at the date and saw it was 6 years :confused3 past its expire date. Soooo since it was an open convertible I reached in and grabbed it :ssst: and placed it elsewhere and called the local police.
It seems to be pretty good right around here; sad to hear it's not that way where you are.

I have a non apparent disability (Fibromylagia and CFIDS) and have a placard. I try not to use the handicap spots if I can avoid it but today I ran into a pickle! Me and my friend decided to go to Down Town Disney (California) and there was only one spot left. The next closest spot was about 1 1/2 to 2 blocks away. I almost felt guilty for taking the spot because 1.) It was a large spot for a van and I can walk and don't need a wheelchair.
2) I know there are people that are worse off then me. I was having a moderate pain day with moderate fatigue. The problem I have is I get tired very easy and if I did not park close I would have to deal with extreme fatigue and pain the following day. With my condition the pain and fatigue is delayed and it depends on how much you do the day before.
At that moment parking in that spot was not a NEED but a preventative measure. It is very hard making the decision to take the spot or leave it for someone who can not access the facility with out the wide spot.
Also I am 31 years old but look about 25 maybe even younger because I get carded for lottery tickets and I get the looks when I park in a handicap spots.
So I have two choices. Leave the spot for someone who can not have access unless they park there or deal with extreme pain and fatigue that night and the next day to the point I can not function. I really have a hard time deciding what to do when I go out and often times I park far away because I feel guilty for using the placard. Then there are times I see a group of teens parking in one of the spots and running out of the car ....But who am I to judge they can have something wrong that I can not see.
I really would like every ones opinion on what you all think is ethically right. please just tell me how you feel I will not get my feelings hurt. It is something that has been bothering me for a very long time and I just want to do what is right!
Thank you!
((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
Jen

JR6ooo4 said:
Were they painted a solid yellow line.
I believe there is one of those in the center of most roads (no passing zone) and if you cross it you have earned a ticket. There is no sign for that!
Cops do not always do what they should.
Mikeeee
The lines in the case I mentioned were blue stripped. Most of the handicapped spots around by our house have blue stripes on the cross-hatched area.

Jen first off know that I am not attacking you but rather just asking questions.

Do you use a wheelchair after you park? I guess I don’t understand if you don’t but you walked all over downtown Disney what is the difference between that and walking from a regular spot.

Does downtown Disney California valet park for free if you have a handicap pass like downtown Disney Florida?

Again this wasn’t an attack just questions from a Mom who has 2 kids that are paralyzed and can’t stand at all.

Cindy

Michigan said:
Jen first off know that I am not attacking you but rather just asking questions.

Do you use a wheelchair after you park? I guess I don’t understand if you don’t but you walked all over downtown Disney what is the difference between that and walking from a regular spot.

Does downtown Disney California valet park for free if you have a handicap pass like downtown Disney Florida?

Again this wasn’t an attack just questions from a Mom who has 2 kids that are paralyzed and can’t stand at all.

Cindy

I was actually wondering the exact same thing.

JenJen said:
At that moment parking in that spot was not a NEED but a preventative measure. It is very hard making the decision to take the spot or leave it for someone who can not access the facility with out the wide spot.................
So I have two choices. Leave the spot for someone who can not have access unless they park there or deal with extreme pain and fatigue that night and the next day to the point I can not function. I really have a hard time deciding what to do when I go out and often times I park far away because I feel guilty for using the placard.
I think you are using it for a valid reason; it is a need, not maybe today, but for what it will mean tomorrow. For some people, they will have immediate effects of the exertion. In your case, it will be tomorrow.

You did post that the only other free spot was a block and 1/2 away. That is pretty far, but as other posters mentioned, you will be walking farther than that in the park once you get in, if you are not using a wheelchair.

(I might be disappointed/annoyed when there is no spot for us to use, but I realize there is no guarantee one will be available. I don't judge who is using it, just hope they have looked at their options).

If there is only one spot left, I don't think you should feel guilty using it.
But, you should look at other options (especially if you are using the last spot). Things like being dropped off and waiting for your friend, checking into valet, etc.

Thanks for all your responses....I do not use a wheelchair unless I go all day to the parks. What I have to do is about every 5 minutes I had to sit and rest then I resume walking. Wheelschairs tend to make me hurt more because they make me stiff so I am better off walking and resting, walking and resting, walking resting. I have to admit I am not the most fun person to go to Disneyland with it takes a lot of patients but I refuse to give up the one thing that I enjoy. (I am stubborn) I am not taking any of your post as attacks I just wanted your honest opinion. I have never asked about valet parking I will ask next time I go thanks for the suggestion!
((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Jen

SueOKW said:
I always assume the person who parked in a handicapped spot did so appropriately.

I can't afford to take on any anger - especially if it's possibly misplaced!

started to read this thread, then stopped here. i absolutely love this line!

you always seem to have something nice to say. :goodvibes just wanted to say thanks.
-dj

Here in Connecticut there are 3 types of handicap plates/tags.

1. The license plate with the wheelchair logo that has to be renewed at the same interval as any other license plate. This can only be gotten for a car that is actually registered to the handicapped individual.

2. A red hang tag for the rear view mirror that has a serial number preprinted on it and a handwriiten expiration date.

3. A blue hang tag for the rear view mirror that also has a serial number on it but with no expiration date. The blue tag never needs to be replaced unless it is lost or stolen, but first a doctor must sign a form that says you are permanetly disabled.

For a car with the handicap license plate the owner/handicapped person must be in the vehicle, either as the driver or a passenger. It can never be driven by anyone else if the handicapped person is not in the vehicle. the plate can also never be moved to another vehicle without registering the othe vehicle to the handicapped person.

The hang tags can go from vehicle to vehicle with the handicapped person. Once again the handicapped person must be in the vehicle in order to be legal.

The MVD issues a hang tag registration form that must be kept in the car along with the car registration and insurance card, and if requested by a police officer must be presented along with the handicapped person's ID to prove that it being used legally.

I firmly believe that what goes around comes around and out of the mouths of babes. My DS(4) has a friend who is disabled and his mommie needs the handicapped plate and spot. One time someone jumped out of the car and very briskly walked into a store after parking in the handicapped spot. DS says (at the entry where they can hear).. 'Mommie how come they parked in the spot for people who can not walk when they can?'. The look on the ladies face was priceless.

It's interesting that people with no disability will park in a handicapped spot when someone with one will go ahead and park in a regular spot and leave the handicapped spot for some one who might need it more if they can.
We have about a dozen teachers in our school with handicapped tags but you rarely see them parked in the handicapped spots. Our lot is quite small and nothing is more than about 150 feet from the door. We normally just park in a spot close to the door and leave the handicapped spots for parents bringing their kids into school. We have a lot of wheelchair using kids as we are a SpEd Center.

Talking Hands said:
It's interesting that people with no disability will park in a handicapped spot when someone with one will go ahead and park in a regular spot and leave the handicapped spot for some one who might need it more if they can.

My bug-a-boo is finding van accessible parking now that I have my driver's license (took me 2 years, hours of training and a mountain of red tape but I finally got my license in March). I use a power wheelchair so distance is not a problem for me anymore. (When I was only walking, I barely managed the walk to the front door.) But getting blocked in or out of my van is the issue.

Vans with side ramps need about 8 feet on the passenger side for ramp deployment and wheelchair clearance. There are never enough spots available or else the hatchmarks are on the driver's side forcing you to back into a spot in a tricky backwards sharp turn.

Orlando tends to do it right making all handicap spaces extra wide as well as adding the hatchmarks so you can get the ramp space you need every spot. But at home in Maryland, I'm always finding small sedans or huge SUVs and pickup trucks in the van spots (not having ramps themselves). It's very frustrating.

So I end up parking at the furthest edge of the parking lot in hopes all the able-bodied drivers will be too lazy to hike out that far and won't park next to me. Imagine my surprise and frustration when I race out through the pouring rain and find someone has done just that in the hinterlands of the lot? ;)

Another annoyance are the placard drivers who park on the van hatchmarks effectively blocking me in by robbing me of my 8 feet of space. I just had a little old lady do that to me last week as I was about to drive my chair out my ramp. I got her attention and pointed out where she had parked then waited while she moved the car (and half her passengers filed out waiting in annoyance for her). Hey, I could just scrape her car with my chair on the way out or in. Her choice. :)

BroganMc said:
Another annoyance are the placard drivers who park on the van hatchmarks effectively blocking me in by robbing me of my 8 feet of space. I just had a little old lady do that to me last week as I was about to drive my chair out my ramp. I got her attention and pointed out where she had parked then waited while she moved the car (and half her passengers filed out waiting in annoyance for her). Hey, I could just scrape her car with my chair on the way out or in. Her choice. :)
One thing that irritates me at school is that the school maintenence trucks will park and block the lifts at times so the parent comes out with their child and can't get the lift down so the child can stay in the wheelchair. It is either lift them into a seat and dismantle the wheelchair or go to the front office and do an all call for the guys to come and move it and sometimes this isn't possible because the buses are already arriving and blocking them in.
My sweet husband waits until the buses have gone before picking me up so I don't have to walk out to the street to the car. By the time school is done each day I can barely walk to the car I am in so much pain. Then home, pain meds and a nap to be functional again.

Well, now that MJ and I have our ramp for our van we are definitely running into issues with being locked into or out of our van by not having a van accessible space... sigh. It's always something I guess.

Parking is sometimes the final reason why many disabled people throw in the towel and take disability pay. I mean, you can't hold a job if you can't get in! Its a shame, because many people with disabiities are quite employable, however, the sheer logistics of just getting to work are overwhelming. Many work around it by having a family member/friend drop them off and pick them up. I used to work at large university, many days I was late for work or couldn't even show up at all because university owned vehicles were parked in the handicapped spaces. Go figure! The situation resolved itself when I quit that job and now work from home. My hope for all those who use the handicapped spaces inappropriately is that one day they will be entitled to one of their very own that no one can dispute. Then let the good times roll!!!

I'm not disabled but I read this conversation with interest.

But it leads me to ask a stupid question... Are handicapped accessible vehicles available for rent in Orlando?

A dear friend is in a wheelchair (paralyzed waist down in a car accident 20 years ago) and he can drive a vehicle equipped with steering controls. He's been thinking about Orlando (he won't be driving) but he's curious about a vehicle that would be easy for him to get in and out of .. without burdening his travel companions too much.

Personally I wish I was going with him because I would go out of my way to take care of his entry and exits.. but I understand his concerns about burdening his travelling friends.

Anyway.. any advice you can offer would be great.

Thanks,

J

CanadianGuy said:
Are handicapped accessible vehicles available for rent in Orlando?
The ADA requires all car rental companies to offer hand controls as a no-cost option. If your friend can transfer to the drivers seat easily, he will have no problem.

A more expensive option are companies like Rainbow Wheels www.rainbowwheels.com

They rent out fully adapted ramp and lift vans. You can ride right into the van in your chair. The one I rented had a powered drivers seat that slid back to mid van to make transfer easier.

Andrew

Yesterday was the final day of the Michigan Wheelchair Games. We had our banquet at a place that had a soccer field behind it and the parking lot was hugh. When it was time to leave one of the vans was blocked in by someone on the soccer field. The guy in the van had parked his van on an angle taking up 2 places, there was a sign on his van door that said wheelchair ramp but a jerk parked there anyway. There were lots of empty spaces in the lot so I can't figure out why someone could be that STUPID to park there and block the van in. :confused3

By the way, our team won the team trophy :woohoo: , Megan won :cheer2: 13 gold in swimming, track & field and Michaela won :cheer2: 9 gold in track & Field and also won the Track Athlete of the Meet award. Not that I'm proud or anything. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter