Dis Exclusive Viva Italia 9/16 - 9/24/2014

We are all set for our food tour in Rome.
No one has indicated any allergies.

Our last Italy food tour in 2012 was in the morning, this food tour is in the evening. I don’t know if people plan to go to the food tour from where they are during the day or from the hotel. If you plan to go from the hotel we can take taxis. I have checked and it seems probably the best way to get to the meeting place is by taxi (or walking for those interested).

Piazza Barberini, Rome, Lazio 00187
Antico Caffe' Dell'isola, 16 Via di Ponte Quattro Capi, Roma 00186
Taxi – 2.34 miles 12 minutes
Walk – 1.4 miles 34 minutes

We will be in 2 groups for the tour Monday 9/15/14 5:30 & 6:15 11 in each group

5:30 group
(arrive by 5:15)
Dustin & Kristy
Laurie, Brian & Pat
Mike, Christy & Joyce
Jeff & Val
Kathy

6:15 group
(arrive by 6)
Jim & Linda
John & Kevin
Roger & Kathy
John, Micki, Rosemary & Jean
Karen

MEETING LOCATION
Arrive 15 minutes early. The meeting location is on La Isola Tiberina or (Tiber Island in English) at the base of the tall obelisk (tall pointy monument) located in the center of the square in front of the church.

If you are using GPS or Google Maps you can put in the address VIA PONTE QUATTRO CAPI, #17 which is for the café called “Antico Caffe’ dell’Isola”. There are two entrances to the cafe’ – the main entrance and an outdoor seating section just around the corner of the front door. We will be across from the outdoor tables in the center of the square at the base of the large obelisk that is located just in front of the church. Your guide will be holding a blue spiral binder (notebook).

IF YOU ARRIVE LATE
For the first 10 min we will be at the meeting location. From there the group will be at the following location for the next 25 minutes. It is called “Da Enzo al 29,” which is located on Via dei Vascellari #29. In order to get there, cross the bridge “Ponte Cestio” towards the neighborhood of Trastevere. Once you get on the other side of the bridge cross the street and turn left and follow the road down and make a right onto Via Botticella. This street will take into a piazza (square) cut through the piazza and bear right onto dei Vascellari, the restaurant is located at # 29.

DURATION and ENDING LOCATION
Total tour length is 4 hours give-*‐or-*‐take 15 minutes. The tour will end at Piazza San Cosimato (Via Roma Libera # 11).We can call you a taxi or you are a 5 min walk from tram and bus lines.
DETAILED DIRECTIONS
-*‐By Cab/Taxi-*‐
Instruct your cab driver to take you to “Isola Tiberina”. If the taxi driver drops you off on the side of the island, in which you cross over “Ponte Cestio”, the cafe’ will be on your right. If you are dropped off on the side of “Ponte Fabricio,” the meeting spot will be on the left. Refer to the description above for the meeting location address.

Thanks Karen! Can't wait!

Micki, what do we need to do for the Scavi tour? Time, place, etc. I'm sure you've posted or emailed, but I can't find it at the moment.

Thanks Karen!!! Very excited about the food tour! We are planning to leave directly from the hotel.

Thanks Karen! Can't wait!

Micki, what do we need to do for the Scavi tour? Time, place, etc. I'm sure you've posted or emailed, but I can't find it at the moment.

Christy - My message from Micki says our tour is Tuesday morning at 11. This is what the Vatican website says about regulations for the Scavi tour.

REGULATIONS DURING VISITS:

Arrive at the Excavations Office at least 10 minutes before the scheduled time of the visit.

Clothing should be appropriate for a sacred place: long trousers/slacks/jeans for men; dresses that reach below the knees or long trousers/slacks/jeans (hmm - wondering if this means capris are ok???) for women; shoulders must be covered for all.

Entrance to the Excavations Office is only through the gates located on the Via Paolo VI (outside of the Colonnade, just to the south
, near the entrance to the General Audience Hall.) Upon arrival, present the Swiss Guards with your letter of confirmation received from the Office which indicates the scheduled time of your visit.

Depositing prohibited items:

The following objects are absolutely prohibited during the visit:
luggage / large bags
backpacks /cameras

These [and similar] objects must be deposited before reaching the Office.

A DEPOSIT area free of charge for these objects is available to the right of the façade of the Basilica at ground floor level of the Basilica's premises passed the security check areas. We are glad to provide this service and the objects deposited are supervised by our staff.

Anyone who does not observe these regulations will not be allowed to participate in the visit.

Laurie​

Hello to the Vatican Necropolis Tour group.
Our tour will be Tuesday Sept 16 at 11:00 and 11: 15 AM
We have Vatican confirmation for the following 2 groups

11:00 AM
Laurie, Brian, Pat
Christy, Mike, Joyce
Chris, Chuck, Rick, Michael
Karen, Kay ( this was booked in March)

11:15 AM
John, Micki
Jim, Linda
Rosemary, Jean

The Excavations Office is reachable only by Bernini's colonnade (on the left facing the Basilica) entrance on Via Paolo VI, where one passes to the police checkpoint and then heads to the Swiss Guards.

Everyone must arrive at the office, at least 5 minutes before the time of the scheduled visit.

Remember to bring a valid document for possible inspection by the Vatican authorities ( IE passports)

Here are the Protocol NOTICES received from the Vatican:
1) For the respect due to the original tomb of the Apostle peter, the clothing must be suitable to the holy place: for men only long TROUSERS, for women pants or skirts below the knee, covers shoulders for everyone.
2) For the entire archaeological site and sacred area, it is forbidden to bring any bulky object ( suitcases, backpacks, large bags, cameras) even if it passed the police checkpoint.

Our Group Protocol/Reference No is 15575 Receipt No. 5813 - .

For those of you who what a sneak peek before hand:
Visita virtuale della Necropoli vaticana e della tomba de San Pietro: http://www.vatican.va/variois/basiliche/necropoli/scavi_english.html

I wonder if we will see Kevin and John touring the ship?

Gallery_2.jpg

Gallery_1.jpg

I wonder if we will see Kevin and John touring the ship?

:scared1: That's a little scary!

I've been checking things off my list this week. Got my euros yesterday, called the bank so they don't cut off my credit card, and got things organized for my parents. I need to pack this weekend because our evenings next week are crazy, and I will be out of town at a soccer tournament next Friday until a few hours before we leave.

Safe travels to all of you heading out early! See you soon!!

Laurie

Hello to the Vatican Necropolis Tour group.
Our tour will be Tuesday Sept 16 at 11:00 and 11: 15 AM
We have Vatican confirmation for the following 2 groups

11:00 AM
Laurie, Brian, Pat
Christy, Mike, Joyce
Chris, Chuck, Rick, Michael
Karen, Kay ( this was booked in March)

11:15 AM
John, Micki
Jim, Linda
Rosemary, Jean

The Excavations Office is reachable only by Bernini's colonnade (on the left facing the Basilica) entrance on Via Paolo VI, where one passes to the police checkpoint and then heads to the Swiss Guards.

Everyone must arrive at the office, at least 5 minutes before the time of the scheduled visit.

Remember to bring a valid document for possible inspection by the Vatican authorities ( IE passports)

Here are the Protocol NOTICES received from the Vatican:
1) For the respect due to the original tomb of the Apostle peter, the clothing must be suitable to the holy place: for men only long TROUSERS, for women pants or skirts below the knee, covers shoulders for everyone.
2) For the entire archaeological site and sacred area, it is forbidden to bring any bulky object ( suitcases, backpacks, large bags, cameras) even if it passed the police checkpoint.

Our Group Protocol/Reference No is 15575 Receipt No. 5813 - .

For those of you who what a sneak peek before hand:
Visita virtuale della Necropoli vaticana e della tomba de San Pietro: http://www.vatican.va/variois/basiliche/necropoli/scavi_english.html

Thanks Micki! I'll do a little research to figure out where the Excavations Office is.

Today has been packing day at our house. I'm ready to go, Mike is still sorting through technology. This time next week, we will be in the air on our way to Rome! :dance3:

The countdown begins:yay:One week from today we will be heading to the airport to begin our journey to Rome:banana::banana:Can't wait to finally meet all of you to begin our adventure party:

One week from now we will be in Rome! :yay::yay::yay:

I guess I better start working on the technology bag... :3dglasses

Semi-interesting story in today's Washington Post.

What could be wrong with a "Prada Pompeii"??

Looking forward to hear all of your trip reports. We are going next year. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter