Dinner on HS day

As a side note, if you haven't done Sci Fi before and have small kids (judging from your profile pic) it tends to play movies that are a bit scary. It's supposed to be funny old movies because of how bad they are but my 7 year old was under the table freaked out because there were scenes of a woman stabbing another woman and other freaky clips. Not sure if our kids are just really sensitive (we are really careful with what they watch) but just a heads up! We thought it would be old Disney movies but that wasn't the case.

ETA: Just saw you've eaten there before no never mind, lol.

I was going to suggest actually going to the Boardwalk and eating at Tratoria Al Forno. Last time we were there---it might have been one of our most enjoyable meals. We took the boat there and back from HS and it wasn't super fast---but it was nice for us to all just sit and rest while we road the boat. It was a good break in the day. It was also a change of scenery if you haven't been over to the Boardwalk for your trip.

50s Prime Time is a god choice.
If you are going for a CS, then Backlot isn't too bad, but similar food to what you had for lunch.
I would agree that if you are going to stay for Fantasmic or Star Wars fireworks, leaving to eat and coming back takes a lot of time whether by boat, bus or walking.

I've been to 50's Prime Time Cafe a few times and love the food and atmosphere there. The shtick may not be for everyone, but if you like down home cooking, it's the way to go.

I've also done VN. It was a quick boat ride to Epcot, hit up Italy, have lunch and take the boat back to DHS. We may do that next trip too.

As a side note, if you haven't done Sci Fi before and have small kids (judging from your profile pic) it tends to play movies that are a bit scary. It's supposed to be funny old movies because of how bad they are but my 7 year old was under the table freaked out because there were scenes of a woman stabbing another woman and other freaky clips. Not sure if our kids are just really sensitive (we are really careful with what they watch) but just a heads up! We thought it would be old Disney movies but that wasn't the case.

ETA: Just saw you've eaten there before no never mind, lol.
Haha no problem....and my profile pic is deceiving. My kids are a lot older now, and there is 3 of them

I've also done VN. It was a quick boat ride to Epcot, hit up Italy, have lunch and take the boat back to DHS. We may do that next trip too.
I would love to to do that, but we don't have hoppers this time, sadly! Doing VN on our epcot day though!!!

I saw that!! I saw someone say that they tried to go at dinnertime though and it was closed. I wonder if that was a fluke or if it closes early regularly....
As of a couple of weeks ago it was closed after 4! I didn’t think to check beforehand and we walked over there planning to eat before fantasmic. I was so annoyed and surprised it was closed and that I didn’t think to check! So we schlepped back over to those booths across from the fantasmic entrance and grabbed pizza and ceasar salad from there. It wasn’t bad and worked for a non meat dinner on a Friday in lent!
Maybe things will change entering the summer but just double check dining location hours I’ve learned!

I don't think Fairfax was on my radar for our last trip so I'll have to check out that menu! I think ABC has changed its menu too so maybe one of these will work!

My husband & son got chicken bowls with cilantro/rice & guacamole (the taste was comparable to Chipotle). They both loved Fairfax.

In the fall when we stayed for Fantasmic, we left HS after Fantasmic finished and went on to Disney Springs and grabbed a late dinner at WPE or EOS (we ate at both after a park closing so I can't remember which night was which) But that was with parks closing at 8-8:30 and we'd eaten lunch plus snacked so we were able to handle dinner after Fantasmic. This might not be a feasible option if park closing is later.

I see the menu has been changed at Backlot Express, and I do think the chicken and waffle dish sounds good. However, if Backlot Express changes their menu again by the time of your trip, do NOT order any kind of turkey sandwich there.

I got one covered with clear slime in 2009. It was disgusting and easily the worst thing I’ve ever been served on Disney property.

We have not had terrible experiences at the ABC Commissary over the years. It gets panned a lot on the boards, but it’s no worse IMO than Cosmic Ray’s or Restaurantosaurus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter