Dinner at The Blue Zoo

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Well-it's certainly "Blue" as we immediately noticed upon arrival for our 6:00 PS. The place has a rather deco/modern look about it and the nite we dined, was quite busy. There were several conventions at Swan/Dolphin, so there were many tables with 6-8 people, (complete with name tags)!! dining that evening. But there were several families with kids as well, and overall the place was rather noisy. Perhaps it would be a bit more quiet when conventioneers weren't so numerous, as their collective converstations can take over a dining room. Dress-wise most everyone seemed to be in "resort casual", with a smattering of theme park casual among the families. No one in a coat or dress that I could see.
As we looked over the menu, Mrs U selected a glass of wine from what appeared to be a pretty good wine list, while I had a Bass Ale from what is a pretty standard WDW beer list--that is to say, uninspired. NOT a knock on the Zoo-most all WDW restaurants are that way.
For appetizers, I had teppan seared jumbo sea scallops/ with braised beef shortrib and cauliflower puree. Delicious!! Mrs. U had steamed black mussels with red curry broth and coconut butter croutons. Again-excellent. On the menu they also had a littleneck clam flatbread which she'd like to try next visit, and I want to try some of the clam chowder that our server seemd to feature when she was discussing the menu. Also available is a raw bar with clams and oysters---.
Ordering dinner itself was a bit of a challange, as there are 16 entrees from which to choose!! I decided on "simply fish"-- a daily selection of 3-4 fish, grilled on a teppanyaki grill, and served with a choice of 3 sauces. I picked grouper and the baby shrimp,parsely and lemon sauce to go along. The fish was a nice size filet, cooked thru, and with the skin still on top. I don't particularly like that, but many do and say it adds to the flavor. In any event, it was a simple matter to "peel" it off, so that's what I did. The sauce is served in a little copper pot alongside the fish--your server will offer to pour a bit on your fish to get you started. The sauce was tasty, and had 5 fairly good size shrimp in it. Perfect with my grouper.
Mrs U went for the barbeque pan roasted jumbp prawns with sweet cornbread and corn silk puree. Six jumbo shrimp, the BBQ flavor subtle (but there) and went perfect with the cornbread. She ate it all and thought it among the better entrees we had all trip!
Our dessert selections were warm chocolate cake with malted cream and coco sorbet for Mrs. U, while I went for lime glazed cocunut cream tart w/ malibu ice cream. Add some coffeee and we ended having thoroughly enjoyed the Blue Zoo!! It's definitely a seafood oriented spot and absent a flood of conventioneers, a nice spot for upscale adult dining. We'll no doubt go back in May!!

Note: Our service was just fine that evening and would have been even better had our server not had two additional tables of 6 (and one of 10!) to handle. Our server was often occupied responding to cries of "more bread!" and "another round" and "more water" and "I thought I ordered blue cheese" etc etc. every time she went near one of the larger group tables. And when the drinks, food etc were brought out (the table of 10 was right next to us) it was amazing as none of them could seem to recall who ordered what!! She would say something like "Roasted beet Salad"? and they would all look at each other as tho it had dropped in from outer space. Then a minute or so later someone would recall that it was theirs and accept the plate.
Most amazing. I could never, ever be a server. My hat is off to them all..
Next dinner review-Wolfgang Puck Upstairs.

Great review, Uncle. I'd been waiting for this one as my aunt & uncle enjoy seafood, so do I, but my father doesn't particularly care for it. Were there any landlubber's items on the menu that looked tempting?

Please let Mrs U know that the littleneck clam flatbread was indeed outstanding, when we ate there 3 weeks ago. It is a large sized (for flatbread) appetizer that was loaded with littlenecks. Almost a meal for light eaters.
Since our last visit in January, they have changed the menu, and the lobster chive dumplings are no longer listed. They also were excellent, but still did not compete with the littleneck flatbread.

Great to read your review. We are eating there again next week.

Robert P

Jennymouse:
didn't get to "see" any of the non-seafood items, but the menu listed a pork, beef, and a chicken entree. I'd expect them to be pretty good.

Thanks for the detailed review, Uncle! Well, I asked you before your trip to keep in mind the "romance factor" at the Blue Zoo. (We were considering it for our 20th anniversary dinner) I think you have answered my question. It sounds too loud! Might be a nice meal for another special dinner--but not what I'm looking for in romance. Am I correct? You didn't mention much about the particular tastes of your desserts. What was that coconut cream tart like? It sounds interesting!

Interesting. Hopefully when we're there a week from Monday the Coventioneers will be gone. The food does sound excellent, since we are both fish lovers. Did you stop in the lounge by any chance? We thought we might arrive a liitle early for a pre-dinner cocktail there. Thanks for the review.

The noise factor doesn't bother us.
Cal Grill is a similar happenin' place and we always dine there.

My question is, how long was your dining experience?

Kfischer: About an hour and 15 minutes, give or take. May well have been shorter except for our server having to spend so much time with the convention tables. Didn't get the sense they would rush you in any way--in fact we lingered a bit after coffee.

Iluvdxl: Didn't stop in it, but walked by it (it's in the front across from the bar). Looked quite full when we left and seems to be a nice spot.

Belle: Hard to gauge the "true" romantic factor. Swan/Dolphin host lots of meetings and conventions and I expect a fair # of folks attending (some on expense accounts) take larger groups to Blue Zoo and Shula's on a routine basis. Not to mention they have a private room near the back of the restaurant which can host larger parties, and that was going full blast that night as well. It wasn't bedlam or anything like that, and we were able to carry on a conversation. I reckon it was California Grill loud, even tho we weren't very near the bar or kitchen.
And the tart was tasty-remided me a bit of coconut cream pie. The malibu ice cream added a bit more taste.

Thanks for the great review. Blue Zoo sounds like a great place to eat. My wife and myself both love seafood, so we will have to think about eating there on our next trip.

Thanks for ALL the great reviews so far!
Unfortunately DW hates seafood, so we probably won't be going there -- I have to eat vicariously through your reviews!

I am so grateful that you posted this review. It helped us make two decisions:

1) We'll have dinner at Blue Zoo one of these trips.

2) It won't be next week.;) I know that there is a "huge" convention at Swan/Dolphin that week. When I tried to make a PS for breakfast at Fresh for next week, DD had to transfer me to the hotel. I made a PS for 7:30am but was told that it would only be held for 5 minutes due to this huge convention. I think we'll try Blue Zoo during a nonconvention time some visit....holidays maybe?

So I cancelled Blue Zoo and added Jiko.

I laughed through your description of the poor server trying to deliver that beet salad.:teeth: Now the beet salad is enough to get me there as soon as possible...well as soon as peaceful.;)

Thank you for another wonderfully informative review.

hi, and thanks for the revue. i was wondering if you were offered the option of sitting in the lounge and being able to order from the dinner menu? from pictures i seen, the lounge seems to have more private seating with booths and might be quieter.

No one offered, but I imagine you could request it--.
Hard to say if it is any quieter or not. They do have booths, but theyare right across from the bar area.
The major "noise" came from all those tables of 6-8-10. Lots of talking, etc (all in good nature certainly) but the cumulative effect did add up--

BCV23-It's always "fun" (for me, but often not the server!!) to watch a table of 8-10 being served. Always one person who, after 10 minutes, still hasn't bothered to look at the menu. Then the poor waitress is taking orders when someone else will chime in with "I'd like lemon with my water" or "When you bring my entree, I'd like Merlot instead of Zin", etc etc. Someone on a comedy show could probably do a skit about it. It does take up a lot of server time and attention---.
I think it's good you switched--Jiko's is excellent of course, and a large # of conventioneers will likely wind up at The Zoo. A lot of them don't have cars, etc and with the Zoo being right there---

My husband dined there last week. He had the same review as you, the funny thing is though, he was a "conventioneer". He thinks we should take a pass on this trip.

Originally posted by Uncleromulus
Jennymouse:
didn't get to "see" any of the non-seafood items, but the menu listed a pork, beef, and a chicken entree. I'd expect them to be pretty good.

Thank you, Uncleromulus. I wish I could get Dad to be a little more adventurous, but at 80......

What times of the year does everyone think would be the best to avoid big conventions?

Thanks again, Uncleromulus.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter