Dining Reviews Sep 2008 & Feb 2009 Update 8/13 - Complete!

OMG Cali Grill looks so yum-o. I have never eaten there but I think it will be going on "The List" of things I want to do

I know what you mean about CS being tough on solo travellers. I have had some trouble but I tend to travel (and eat) at off times so it hasn't been to bad. I do love travelling solo better than with others. Its nice to know I am not the only one.

Thank you so much for the Cali Grill, I hope they have that little lobster/crab cake when we go in a few days.
It was a new item when I went there, and a lot of people seemed to be ordering it, so I think there's a good chance it will still be there.

OMG Cali Grill looks so yum-o. I have never eaten there but I think it will be going on "The List" of things I want to do

I know what you mean about CS being tough on solo travellers. I have had some trouble but I tend to travel (and eat) at off times so it hasn't been to bad. I do love travelling solo better than with others. Its nice to know I am not the only one.
I really wish there were a bar seating area or something for solo diners only, but I don't know if something like that would ever work out or not.

I love traveling solo too. I really think traveling with others can be more stressful, depending on who you're traveling with. For instance, in my family, there is only one cousin and aunt and uncle that I would even consider going on a long vacation like that with. We actually went as a whole big extended family when I was in high school, and while my grandmother wanted us to spend all day together, it was that first morning we realized we had to seperate into groups if any of us still wanted to be sane at the end of the week. That worked out rather well, as I went off with my uncle and two cousins who are pretty much my age, and then me and my cousin went off by ourselves. (We were old enough that our parents didn't care if we went off alone together, as long as we stayed together.) That was pretty much what we did all week, only meeting up for our meals and certain shows and stuff.

Anyway, my point of that is, that being solo, is much better for me then going with a group, since I think there would be too much compromising, and maybe I'd have to skip something I really wanted to do if I were in a group like thatl, while being solo I can do whatever I want.

Loved the photos of CGrill, I quite like the idea of solo dining, imagine just booking where I want to visit and not having to worry about the picky eaters in the family.

On my first full day in Disney I woke up early because I had an early 8:05 breakfast ADR at Cinderella's Royal Table.

011.jpg

The 8:05 time was the earliest available, and that was almost a full hour before the Magic Kingdom even opened. I got to the Magic Kingdom at 7:25, and had to wait a little while before being allowed in the park.

After being allowed in the park I walked up Main Street to Cinderella Castle.

007-1.jpg

I was so happy to see the castle again after a year of not seeing it. I can't really explain it, but seeing the castle lets me know I really am in Disney.

I checked in, and was giving a ticket to have my photograph taken with Cinderella.

013.jpg

The one on the ticket means I was entitled to one photo package. For those of you who don't know, when you eat at Cinderella's Royal Table, before eating, you go in Cinderella's throne room, and meet Cinderella, where you have your picture taken with her. For every four people in your party, you get a lovely folder of your picture, with four more 4x6's of the same picture.

A few minutes after I checked in I was allowed into the lobby a.k.a. throne room, where Cinderella was. There was a short line already to meet her, but it moved rather quickly. When I did meet Cinderella, she commented on my shirt, which was a white tank top with a sequined glass slipper.

I then went up the stairs to the restaurant. I forgot what a long climb it was up.

016.jpg

When I did finally get to the top of the staircase I was seated immediatly at a table by the window, to the left side of the room. This was my view from the table.

018.jpg

After I was seated I was greeted by my server, Jay. He was a very pleasant server, who gave some good tips to me and his other tables about making sure to go to Dumbo first, since we'd be the first people in Fantasyland if we finished our meals by 9:00.

I had a glass of orange juice and ordered a diet coke, since I needed a caffiene fix, and I don't drink coffee. The lady who seated me actually asked me something as I was being seated, and I can't recall what it was, but I hadn't really been listening to her, and she joked that I needed caffiene. How right she was! I was given a choice of a traditional breakfast plate or a healthy alternative, and while the healthy choice sounded fine, I went for the traditional, since I was on vacation after all.

Before being served my traditional breakfast I was given a large bowl of fresh fruit;

020-1.jpg

and a basket of fresh pastries.

022.jpg

The fruit was a mixture of mago slices, strawberries, kiwi, honeydew, cantaloupe, and blueberries. I ate quite a bit of the fruit as I figured even if I didn't get the healthy breakfast, I could at least eat some fruit.

I only tried two of the pastries, a cinnamon roll, and half of a crossiant. The cinnamon roll was very nice, and the crossiant was good, but nothing special. One thing I don't like about eating at the family-style served meals solo is that I know whatever I don't eat will be thrown away, but there is no way I could eat the whole basket of pastries myself. I really wish they would serve smaller parties less food, since you are always able to ask for more. I think a lot less food would be wasted that way.

I was then served my traditional, hot, breakfast, which included, eggs, sausage, bacon, potato casserole, and cream cheese-stuffed french toast with blueberry topping.

027.jpg

I tried a bite of the eggs, but I am picky when it comes to eggs, and found them too undercooked for my liking. The bacon was good, but not quite as crispy as I like, still, for being mass produced as it is, it was good bacon. The sausage was good as well. But my two favorite things were the potatoes and the french toast.

The potatoes had a nice cream sauce, and while it wasn't very fancy, it reminded me of Stouffer's potato casserole, I enjoyed it. The cream cheese-stuffed french toast reminded me of Crystal Palace's puffed french toast, except with cream cheese filling. I thought that was very yummy indeed, and the blueberry sauce made it even yummier.

As I was eating the characters came around to my table. The characters that day were Belle, Aurora, Snow White, and Mary Poppins. I was pleased to see that most of the characters present were actual princesses, as it is a pet peeve of mine when Disney calls their meals princess meals, but then characters who are not princesses are there.

All of the princesses, and Mary Poppins were very nice, and a nice gentleman at the table next to mine took my picture with each one, except for Aurora who I didn't see because I wanted to get in the park exactly at 9:00, and she was taking too long coming to the table. I figured I'd see her later in the trip, so getting in the park was more important at that point.

Right before I left they had the wishing ceremony, which I thought was rather lame, but the children in the room seemed to be excited by it.

031.jpg

I left shortly after the wishing ceremony, which ended about five minutes before nine, so I was able to rush downstairs, and make rope drop for my first day in the parks!

I am loving these reviews!! The lamb tenderloin at CG has brought the carnivore out, I just want to eat MEAT and sop up the blood with bread!!!:lmao:

Please, carry on, this is great.:cool1:

I am loving these reviews!! The lamb tenderloin at CG has brought the carnivore out, I just want to eat MEAT and sop up the blood with bread!!!:lmao:

Please, carry on, this is great.:cool1:
I know what you mean. There are times when all I want is a nice juicy steak!

Hi
I love your reviews, but I don't eat meat and the meat at the Calif Grill looked horrible to me. My DH and DS eat meat and I just look the other way. Can't wait for the rest of reviews!! Thanks for sharing.

I love your reviews, but I don't eat meat and the meat at the Calif Grill looked horrible to me. My DH and DS eat meat and I just look the other way. Can't wait for the rest of reviews!! Thanks for sharing.
I could see how someone who doesn't eat meat wouldn't like looking at meat pictures, especially as rare as that was cooked. I ordered it medium, but Disney always seems to cook stuff more medium rare then medium, that doesn't bother me though.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading along. :thumbsup2

I really enjoyed your CRT review ... I've been toying with the idea of booking a breakfast there next year because I'd love to eat in the castle just once and breakfast seems like the safest meal to choose from. ;) I'm a little curious about the french toast ... did it come with blueberry goop poured all over it or did you add that?

It all looks pretty tasty so I'm thinking we may just have to give it a try next fall.

Thanks for sharing! :goodvibes

Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading along. :thumbsup2

I really enjoyed your CRT review ... I've been toying with the idea of booking a breakfast there next year because I'd love to eat in the castle just once and breakfast seems like the safest meal to choose from. ;) I'm a little curious about the french toast ... did it come with blueberry goop poured all over it or did you add that?

It all looks pretty tasty so I'm thinking we may just have to give it a try next fall.

Thanks for sharing! :goodvibes
Welcome, glad to have you reading along, and I can't wait for your reviews when I return.

The plate came as it is in the picture, with the blueberries already on the french toast. I'm sure it could be requested on the side though. Which reminds me that the blueberry topping also got onto the eggs, so a lot of the eggs were uneatable, since I wasn't going to eat blueberry-covered eggs. That's a little too weird even for me.

I definitely HAVE to book CRT for our next trip. DS will just have to suck it up and go. :rotfl: He'll only be 5 so it won't be too embarrassing for him. Were the eggs kind of mushy and runny? :crazy2: I hate eggs like that.

I love all of your reviews so far!
I'm glad you're enjoying them.

I definitely HAVE to book CRT for our next trip. DS will just have to suck it up and go. :rotfl: He'll only be 5 so it won't be too embarrassing for him. Were the eggs kind of mushy and runny? :crazy2: I hate eggs like that.
They weren't mushy, but they were a little runny. I am very picky about eggs, and I won't eat them if they're runny, and I also like them to be fluffy. I did have some really good eggs at one point, but I don't want to say where before I get to that review.

They weren't mushy, but they were a little runny. I am very picky about eggs, and I won't eat them if they're runny, and I also like them to be fluffy. I did have some really good eggs at one point, but I don't want to say where before I get to that review.

I like my eggs the same way. I always enjoy them at CP. I'm hoping Boma has good ones as well, since we'll be trying it for the first time next week.

I like my eggs the same way. I always enjoy them at CP. I'm hoping Boma has good ones as well, since we'll be trying it for the first time next week.
Boma is a great restaurant, but I can't comment on their eggs, since I've only ever had dinner there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter