Dining Reviews!! - Day 1 - Flame Tree and Boma

vasoccermom

Mouseketeer
Just back from a great but shortish trip to WDW. I'll try to break up the dining reviews by days. Had breakfast in the room each morning (DD is diabetic and it was just easier to pick up stuff upon arrival and keep it in the fridge for breakfast each day).

Flame Tree (lunch)- I had the bbq chicken salad which was good and fresh. DH had the smoked beef bbq sandwich which I think was good - he finished it before I could steal a bite. DS had baked chicken wings (right up his alley, seasoned but not wet and not spicy) and DD had the hot dog. So nice to be able to eat outside in a covered patio. rating: B.

Boma (dinner)- Had a PS for 6:10. Arrived at 5:50 and were seated immediately. Noted on our PS that DD is diabetic so almost immediately after being seated, the head chef, Mike, came out to our table to meet DD and took us through the buffet item by item explaining what went into each dish. Then he said if nothing up there appealed, he could make up anything DD wanted.
The buffet was extensive and I had to try almost everything at least once. All the soups were incredible (apple/chicken mulicatawney, potato/bacon, seafood gumbo, cheddar/cauliflower w/ shrimp dumplings). They had about 8-9 interesting salads, some with vinegar type dressings and other with creamy or curried dressings. Fantastic. They were carving prime rib (w/4 sauces to dip) and had well seasoned durban chicken and a lamb pot pie. Home made lavash (flat bread) with 3 different types of hummus. And of course various fruits and desserts. Thankfully the desserts were small so I could sample all of them and report back to you! The zebra domes were as expected, incredible as was the chocolate mousse crunch and passion fruit tart. There was a tiramisu that was to die for and banana pudding I didn't try. Also various cookies and brownies.
The chef came to our table to check on us 3 times during the course of the meal. He ended up making DD some plain shrimp and grilled chicken which were even presented beautifully. He then told us she could go up to the pastry chef and ask for a slice of sugar free cheesecake for dessert. DD certainly felt like a princess and I have never experienced such wonderful customer service. Our drinks never reached empty and the staff was lovely as well.
If we didn't make such pigs of ourselves, I would certainly have come back for another meal but since I had no discipline this trip...I thought I'd leave some food for other guests:teeth:
Rating: A

Stay tuned for day 2: Pecos Bills and Wolfgang Puck Cafe

Great reveiw of Boma's !! We will be eating there on Monday and your review made it even harder to wait!!!:D

Enjoyed your reviews. Aren't the chefs great about special needs at WDW?

I will be dining at Bomas literally 1 week from now...to the minute! I cannot wait...and after your review I am salivating!

Thank you for the report! I am really looking forward to trying Boma (even though I am a picky eater and was kind of reluctant to make PS there). I really think we are all going to enjoy it though. Everyone says such good things about it.

Sandra

Sandra...there's plenty for every type of eater at Boma. The meats are not that highly seasoned (the sauces for them are in separate bowls that you can just spoon onto your plate to try). There are enough different types of salads and soups that you will certainly find one you will like (my picky DH loved the prime rib, durban chicken and the potato/bacon soup). Plenty of fresh fruit and there's always dessert - you could make a meal of that alone!!!

There's always the chicken tenders, mac n cheese and fries there for the kids. And worst case scenario, they will make something up for you (my DS loves salmon but wasn't keen on the sauce it was marinated in so the chef got him some that was plain).

Customer service is truly outstanding here.

Karen

At Flame Tree BBQ also,thankyou for sharing.::yes::

Thanks Karen! I think I am going to really enjoy it! I wish I had some of that bacon potato soup right now!!

Sandra

Sandra,
I know they change the soups every night (they have so many different ones) but currently I know for sure that they're serving the potato/bacon soup at least on Mondays (since that's when we had our meal there). You might want to call ahead and find out what's on the menu for that night! I do know the prime rib, chicken, kids meals, fruit and dessert remain the same from night to night but they do rotate the soups, salads and a few other items.
Whatever they're serving, i'm sure you'll find something!

karen

Thanks for the reviews. It's great to hear they treated your DD so well!! Bomas' is one of my favorites! Looking forward to eating there the day after Thanksgiving!

Boma is one of my favorite restaurants at WDW. The first time I ate there was in June, 2002 while in town for a conference - unfortunately not held at WDW, but at one of the front gate hotels. I was so impressed that I came home and made reservations for DH and I to celebrate our 4th anniversary at AKL and eat at Boma. We were not disappointed. I'm looking forward to January to introducing my 24 year old stepdaughter to Boma. Well, and to the World in general, since it will be her first trip. My DD's first as well, but at 2 years of age, I suspect that she won't remember much, if any, at all. Thank you for reminding me how good Boma is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter