Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons

dixonsontour

DIS Veteran
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons

I have done a trip report for our October 2011 holiday – Everything but Disney - but thought I’d post all the food pictures together on here with details of costs. Apologies if you’ve seen the pictures before!

I’ve used coupons in the past but made a real effort this trip and saved lots. I think for most meals I used some sort of coupon or deal.

Last two trips have been onsite with free DDP (see the links in my signature for my dining reports).

This trip October 2011 we stayed in a condo at Floridays resort on South International Drive.

Before we went i’d lost 2 stone and DH 3 stone with Slimming World. We had no intention to diet on holiday! We were craving burgers and pizza and so they featured heavily (look away now if you want to see healthy food!)

The cast

Me 36 lover of most food

DH 37 will eat most things except seafood and mushrooms

DD 5 not really picky but knows what she likes.

This was our 14th trip to the USA since 1997. Obviously we have our favourites we like to go back to but also tried some new places this trip.

Coupons

I signed up to individual restaurant email clubs two days before we went. The popular chain restaurants have a website and if you go on have a place to sign up to their email club. Most offers are emailed to you within 24 hours of joining and the coupons usually last 14 days. So don’t sign up too early or they will expire before you are away. Just use the zip code and address of where you are staying when you sign up.

It was DH’s birthday so I entered this when signing up and did get sent extra coupons for this. If it’s your birthday or anniversary whilst you are away make sure you enter this.

I did pick up the coupon booklets you find in the doorways to shops or restaurants but didn’t use any as I found I had better coupons from signing up to the email clubs.

I also printed coupons off Valpak.com, orlandocoupons.com and iridetrolley.com.

I checked Groupon.com Orlando in the run up to our holiday. Sometimes they have deals for restaurants. I used one groupon deal for quiznos subs (like subway)

I also used two restaurant.com coupons. Basically you buy a coupon and it saves $25 off a meal at certain places. There are conditions like minimum spend. There are always offers and discount codes for restaurant.com – I paid $2 for each coupon. I paid by paypal and you print the coupons off so no need for a US address.

Kids eat free card. We had one free off a kind Dibber but just used it once at Village inn.

Fedex

We didn’t have access to a printer in the condo but wanted to print a coupon off which was emailed to us whilst we were away.

Fedex on the 535 near Crossroads offers a service where you can print cheaply.

The machine was self service – DH sent the printing to it online or it takes a usb memory stick. 1 A4 black and white sheet was 11 cents inc tax.

Walmart/Publix supermarket

We had several stops at Walmart and one at Publix for supplies. For breakfast some days we had English muffins or bagels with Philadelphia and orange juice/coffee/milk.

I also bought snacks like individual packs of oreos, crisps, goldfish crackers, raisins, little bags of apple slices.

We also buy and freeze bottled water to take into the parks.

I made a packed lunch some days – wraps with ham and cheese. Froze them and used them as a sort of freezer block in our cool bag – didn’t take up a lot of room or get squashed.

DH also bought beer to drink in the room as he is driver he tends to drink in the room in the evening not with meals.

Food I took with me

I took some small boxes of kelloggs cereal for DD, individual snack packs of biscuits like jammy dodgers, party rings (anything non chocolate so it wont melt) and a couple of small tins of Heinz pasta shapes for DD. I also take a small cool bag, cling film, freezer bags and a couple of small pots to decant large packs of snacks into.

I know you can buy everything there but I like getting my Florida bits and bobs in the run up to the holiday and DD likes a few familiar things.

Tipping

I know this is a controversial topic (understatement of the century!)

My understanding is you should tip on the full cost of the meal (before tax) before the discount coupon is taken off – so I always do. I’ve tried to put figures including tip in my dining reports. I usually tip cash so the tip amounts wont be spot on accurate.

I always checked before I ordered if I was ok to use the coupon and showed it the server – servers were very happy to accept the coupons – had no problems at all.

Budget

I aimed to spend about $100 a day on food. Part of my reason for doing this report is to see how much we really did spend on food/drinks/snacks.

So did I manage it? Read along and see!

Food report day 1

Breakfast

Started the day with breakfast at Burger King at Manchester Airport (no receipt)

This has been our traditional start to the holiday since we had DD – she calls it king burger- but was very poor this year and it is expensive - will try Frankie and Benny’s next year.

Cost equivalent of $25

IMG_20111014_094224.jpg

IMG_20111014_094251.jpg

Lunch

On the plane with US Airways. Food was ok – I had pasta and it was edible. DD got her pre ordered kids meal. They served a full meal shortly after take off and a sandwich prior to landing in Philadelphia. Soft drinks were free. The plane from Philly to MCO just offered drinks.

$0 (well included in plane ticket price!)

Dinner

Palm cafe Floridays resort

We ate at the palm cafe at Floridays resort. Well you order from there and can eat inside or by the pool – we took our food and ate by the pool. The food was tasty and cooked to order. I had a chicken Caesar wrap $9.95, DH a Cuban Panini $8.95 and DD a kids grilled cheese$5.95 – all came with fries plus 2 bottles of diet coke. Cost $35

IMG_20111014_220720.jpg

IMG_20111014_220727.jpg

We also had 2 cocktails from the pool bar – I had a pineapple up side down tini (vanilla vodka, coconut run, amaretto and pineapple juice) and DH a ? cocktail. Cost $12.99 for both plus tip.

IMG_20111014_214243.jpg

Total $50

Total spent on food/drink Day 1 $75

Food report Day 2

Breakfast

Ohana

We had a 7.30am adr at Ohana at the Disney Polynesian Resort.

First they give you a lei each (to keep) and take your photo but will take with your own camera if you ask. We didn’t buy the photos. As this was the first reservation time the staff sing a little welcoming song as the restaurant opens. We had a good table and nice character interaction – Pluto is my favourite. The food was ok imo, DH really enjoyed it. It is easy as they serve family style – no need to keep going up to the buffet but they will bring more food if you ask. You start with bread and fruit then have a platter with bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs and biscuits then mickey waffles with syrup. We saw Lilo, Stitch, Pluto and Mickey – not rushed at all. After eating we looked around the resort and the beach which is lovely.
IMG_3747.JPG
IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG
IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3696.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG
IMG_3672.JPG

Cost $67.48 inc tip

Lunch

We called into Quiznos subs near the resort (next to Regency Publix) and got 2 toasted sub sandwiches to takeaway. I’d bought a coupon for $6 off groupon.com and just had to pay the 39 cent tax. The subs are usually at least $6 each so it was like a BOGOF saving. They were very tasty.

15102011236.jpg

We drove through the McDonalds next to it and got DD a happy meal – cost $3.95 and came in a souvenir bucket for Halloween.

15102011233.jpg

15102011235.jpg

We ate on the balcony at the condo which was nice – had a view over the lake.

Cost $10.34

Snacks

At Seaworld we got a refill cup with soda for $7.45 inc tax. We used this at Seaworld, Busch Gardens and Aquatica. Refills of soda (Pepsi products) cost $1.06 inc tax. We used this lots – was well worth getting.

DSCF0932.JPG

Cost $7.45

Dinner

Flippers pizzeria

We were tired and got a Takeaway pizza from Flippers pizzeria on Westwood Blvd near Seaworld. They are a local pizza chain we have been to several times before. Pizza is very tasty. We had a bit of a wait as it was very busy due to being Seaworld closing time. We shared a 16 inch Carne de Italia one of their specials which was lovely, garlic bread and a Caesar salad. DD had her own pizza plus a kids pepsi. We shared a soda whilst we waited for the pizza. By taking away you save the cost of the tip.

IMG_3846.JPG
IMG_3845.JPG
IMG_3844.JPG
IMG_3843.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG

Cost $37.75

Total spent food/drinks Day 2 $123.02​

Food report Day3

Breakfast

Ihop on the 192 near Disney

We stopped here as it was en route from the resort to Clermont. It was early on a Sunday morning and busy with retired locals and sheriffs which we took as a sign the food was good!

IMG_20111016_074959.jpg

I had a coupon for a free ‘rooty tooty’ breakfast just for signing up to the IHOP email club

IMG_3868.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG
IMG_3871.JPG

I had the rooty tooty fresh n fruity which I highly recommend – you get a cooked breakfast with dessert – pancakes with fruit and cream. Years ago I ordered this for the first time and an American walked in and said i’m having what she’s having! It is always my choice at Ihop.

DH had breakfast with all u can eat pancakes. As we drove up DD read the sign in the window saying all u can eat pancakes and said you should have that daddy so he did. DD had a kids breakfast plus coffee for us and milk for DD. Cost $25 inc a generous tip. We all enjoyed this breakfast and service was good and fast.

Cost $25

Late lunch/early Dinner

FiveGuys Burgers near Florida mall

We had eaten at Five Guys a few times before. They do an excellent burger – regularly win ‘best burger’ awards. Everything is cooked to order and you order with exactly the toppings you want. You collect from a counter when cooked – so no tipping needed. They also do help yourself free soda refills. Whilst you wait for your burger you can eat some of the complimentary peanuts. The Cajun fries are really good and are a huge portion. I had a little cheeseburger (one patty), DH a regular cheeseburger (2 pattys) and DD who isn’t a burger lover a hot dog plus 2 sodas and 2 fries.

DSCF0397.JPG

DSCF0399.JPG

DSCF0400.JPG
DSCF0402.JPG

Cost $25.17

Snacks

We shared one orange slushy at Showcase of Citrus – you got one free when you did the monster swamp buggy tour.

IMG_3973.JPG

Coldstone Creamery, 192 near Celebration

For joining the email club I had a coupon for a free creation at Coldstone creamery. I had the birthday cake re mix and DH a mint one – DD shared with us as they are huge and very sweet. Basically they mix the icecream with the toppings on a slab in front of you. Think the creations are $6 something each plus tax.

DSCF0408.JPG

DSCF0410.JPG

Cost approx $7.50

Total food/drink day 3 $57.67

Food report day 4

Breakfast

Perkins

DSCF0424.JPG
DSCF0425.JPG
DSCF0427.JPG

Junction I4/hwy 27. We like this Perkins and have been a few times. Servers are older and some have been there years. It was busy today with people enroute to Legoland so service was a little slower than usual but nice food.

I had a coupon for a free meal just for joining the email club.

We both had an omelette and coffee, DD rainbow pancakes, juice and a cookie.

DSCF0429.JPG
DSCF0430.JPG
DSCF0431.JPG

17102011242.jpg

Cost $22 ($17 plus tip)

Lunch

Packed lunch

There was no bag check at Legoland, so no problems taking in a small cool bag with snacks. I’d made some ham and cheese wraps which I froze and also took some snacks like crisps, goldfish crackers for DD and little bags of apple slices. Also took water bottles to drink.

Snacks

1 Mocha $2.66 and 2 sodas Legoland – soda was $2.50 plus tax

Cost $8

Dinner

Mannys chop house, Haines City

IMG_4281.JPG
IMG_4263.JPG
IMG_4258.JPG
IMG_4264.JPG
IMG_4260.JPG
IMG_4262.JPG
IMG_4259.JPG

We’d been to Manny’s chop house once before. It made sense to go today as it was en route back up hwy 27 from Legoland. Mannys is popular so I called ahead when we were leaving Legoland to get on the wait list. It was 20 mins drive from Legoland and we were seated on arrival at 5.05pm.

Everyone gets warm yeast bread rolls with honey butter and salad to start which we enjoyed. I had a 10oz sirloin steak with mash and DH the 14oz with mash. Steaks were lovely. DD had pizza and fries. We had 3 cokes to drink. The atmosphere is fun and relaxed and DD enjoyed colouring on the paper tablecloth.

Kids eat free on Monday and Tuesday (no coupon or card needed) so we just paid for DD’s drink.

IMG_4267.JPG
IMG_4271.JPG
IMG_4272.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG

Cost $48 ($38 plus tip)

It did say on the receipt if you sign up to their email club you get a free appetiser.

Total Food/Drink Day 4 $78​

Food report Day 5

Breakfast

We ate in the condo today – English muffins and bagels with Philadelphia, orange juice and coffee from our Walmart shop. Cheaper than eating out and saves time in the morning.

IMG_4282.JPG

Lunch

Margaritaville, Universal Citiwalk

DSCF0488.JPG

DSCF0489.JPG

After a morning at Universal Studios we ate at Margaritaville, our first time eating there. I had a blackened grouper sandwich with fries, DH the special which was a chicken sandwich and he paid a little more for onion rings and DD had kid’s pasta. Food was tasty.

DSCF0492.JPG

DSCF0497.JPG

DSCF0496.JPG

DSCF0498.JPG

I had two coupons off orlandocoupons.com for a free margarita each. Limit was one coupon per person NOT one per table which was good.

DSCF0500.JPG

Cost $48 ($38 plus tip)

Tea

Friendly’s, International Drive

DSCF0508.JPG

This is one of our usuals and have been several times over the years and never had a bad meal. They do a special menu for either $9.99 or $11.99 where you can have a main course + ice cream sundae + soda (with refills) which is great value. I had the honey bbq chicken with fries and coleslaw which is included in the $11.99 menu, DH went for a chicken melt on the $9.99 menu. Portions are not massive but very tasty. I had a black cherry sundae and DH paid a little more to upgrade to a kit kat sundae.

DSCF0509.JPG

DSCF0510.JPG

DSCF0512.JPG

DSCF0513.JPG

DSCF0521.JPG

DSCF0519.JPG

DSCF0522.JPG

DSCF0523.JPG

I also used a coupon for a free kids meal (from Valpak.com)

DD had hot dog and fries, soda and a monster ice cream sundae.

Friendly’s puts coupons on your receipt to encourage you to revisit – $5 off $25 in the next 3 days if you do a survey online or 10% off your total check for showing your receipt next time.

Total $31 ($25.33 plus tip)

Snacks

Universal Refill mug

We bought a refill mug at Universal studios for $6.99 ($7.45 inc tax). We used it a lot at Universal and Islands of Adventure over the holiday – refills of soda were 75 cents plus tax.

Total $7.45

Total Cost Food/Drink Day 5 $86.45

Food Report Day 6

Breakfast

Village Inn

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG
IMG_4410.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

We started the day at the Village Inn on Westwood Blvd near Seaworld. Been several times in the past and always had a decent breakfast there. It is a diner and has had a makeover this year – retro look inside now, looks a lot nicer. Food was tasty, large portions and service good. The breakfast menu is huge. They accept the kids eat free card so we used that for DD.

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4415.JPG

Myself and DH had a skillet meal each which came with pancakes and coffee. DD had pancakes and fruit and juice.

Cost $30 ($25 plus tip)

No Lunch

Afternoon Tea

IMG_4445.JPG
IMG_4447.JPG

We had an adr for afternoon tea at the Disney Grand Floridian resort Garden View Tea Room. Last year myself and DD had been to the princess tea party there in the morning. I thought it would be nice for DD to try the grown up afternoon tea and she did enjoy it. It wasn’t busy. DD chose to wear a princess dress. There was another girl there but the rest of the people were older couples.

DD had the Mrs Potts tea for children – she asked for just ham sandwiches, which was fine and it comes with chocolate milk or juice in the teapot – she had apple juice.

IMG_4417.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4423.JPG

Myself and DH shared a Buckingham palace tea, trifle and he had a coffee. I had the garden view blend of tea – I asked what they served at the princess tea party and had that again as I liked it last time.

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

The trifle needed some sherry in but the chocolate strawberries and pastries were good.

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

Fair to say it isn’t really DH’s cup of tea but he played along. They have the same Royal Albert china as my mother in law!

It isn’t on the ddp so was a good chance for us to do this with us staying offsite this year.

Afterwards we sat in the lobby and listened to the band then the pianist. We had a lovely relaxing afternoon.

Cost $55.21 ($47.23 plus tip)

Dinner

IMG_4456.JPG

We tried Giordanos on the 535 near Disney (just further down from Crossroads). I’d bought a coupon for $2 off restaurant.com that saved $25. Terms were a minimum spend of $35 plus an automatic tip added of 18%.

IMG_4458.JPG

IMG_4459.JPG

Giordanos is famous for Chicago style deep dish pizza. I’d read reviews that recommended calling ahead as they take 40 mins to cook so I did – ordered a large pepperoni. We also had a Caesar salad, garlic bread with cheese and 3 soda’s. Server was lovely and pizza was delivered quickly maybe 10 mins after we were seated.

Pizza was like something off man v food! Think I only managed a slice. We took half with us to go.

IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

It was more like lasagne – tasty but different. Glad we tried it.

Cost $20.44 ($18.44 plus $2 coupon including tip)

Snacks

We got a soda refill at Aquatica in our Seaworld refill mug for 99 cents plus tax =$1.06.

DSCF0572.JPG

I also took a small cool bag with snacks like biscuits and raisins into Aquatica with no problem. Individual snacks are ok just not huge coolers or family size packets.

Total $1.06

Total food/drink day 6 $106.71

Day 7

Breakfast

We ate in the condo which saves time and money. Just bagels/muffins and coffee and juice.

Lunch

We were at Universal Studios and ended up eating at a quick service place near jaws that did Nathan’s hotdogs. DD had a plain hot dog and fries, DH a chilli dog and fries and me a Rueben hot dog and fries. We also got a refill of soda in our Universal refill mug for 79 cents plus tax.

I didn’t enjoy the hot dog and had an itchy allergic reaction to it – not good.

Cost $25

DSCF0594.JPG
DSCF0595.JPG

DSCF0596.JPG

Dinner

Steak n Shake

We went to the one on the 535 just past Crossroads.

DSCF0622.JPG

DSCF0621.JPG

I had a club sandwich and fries, DD a kids meal, DH a patty melt burger, I had a shake and DH and DD coke plus some onion rings. All food was tasty.

Cost $30 inc tip

DSCF0627.JPG

DSCF0631.JPG

DSCF0630.JPG

DSCF0629.JPG

DSCF0628.JPG

I didn’t use a coupon here but prices are very reasonable. Kids eat free at weekend and milkshakes are half price between 2 and 4 pm.

Snacks

Ben and jerry’s ice cream, Universal Studios

After the disappointing hot dog for lunch we were all still hungry. DH spotted Ben and Jerry in the New York area of Universal. We shared a lovely sundae – was two sorts of ice cream with cream, hot fudge and one topping. Very good value and yummy!

Cost $6.17

DSCF0599.JPG

DSCF0601.JPG

DSCF0600.JPG

DSCF0602.JPG

Corn dog, Universal Studios

DH spotted someone with a corndog and was a man on a mission. He tracked it down to the stall outside the Beetlejuice show and I got him one plus a drink refill. Not my thing but he enjoyed it.

DSCF0606.JPG

$5 (approx)

Total food/drink day 7 $66.17

Day 8

Breakfast

Friendly’s, International Drive

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG

We had a later start and brunch at Friendly’s on International Drive. This is a diner chain like Dennys and we’ve eaten there several times and always enjoyed it.

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

I had a breakfast with French toast, DH a melt sandwich with breakfast potatoes and DD kids rainbow pancakes. I used a coupon off Valpak.com which I got by googling for friendly’s coupons for a free adult breakfast.

DD has seen a pancake breakfast with ice cream online but the menu there was different. We ordered her a scoop of ice cream aswell so she was happy. Food was nice – DD had juice and us coffee.

IMG_4618.JPG

The server wasn’t too good – slow. Usually friendly’s servers are good.

Cost $16.04 plus tip. ($20)

Snacks

We had a refill or two in our refill mug at Seaworld at a cost of $1.06 inc tax and I also took some snacks into Seaworld. Had no problem taking individual packs of biscuits, apple slices etc.

$2.12

Dinner

Texas de Brasil, International Drive

This was our first visit here and we were looking forward to it. It's a brazilian steakhouse (churrascaria) at the top if I Drive near premium outlets (used to be Belz) I’d made a reservation online – you can make them from 3 months out. I think we would have been fine without as we ate early.

I had joined their email club and had got a coupon for a free adult meal for DH’s birthday. The coupon lasted for the month of his birthday – all October. They send the same coupon for your anniversary. They also offer a 25% off coupon for joining the club.

We had a lovely meal and service and will go back.

We did dress up a bit - DH wore a shirt and smart shorts, me a Next top and linen pants and DD a dressy sundress. Felt fine. Some people were dressed v casually. As the evening wore on people seemed to be dressier - was a Friday night when we ate so quite busy later.

One thing to mention is soft drinks are not free refills here. DD had a coke for $3, DH a sam adams beer $6.25 and I stuck to water.

The buffet was lovely – I had a small plate and some lobster bisque soup which was lovely.

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

You then get a green card/red card and turn to green if you want meat. They brought around skewers with lots of different types meat. We ate them as they were but they will cook them more or less if you prefer well done etc. They also bring mashed potatoes and there were dauphinoise potatoes near the soup which were gorgeous. They give you cinnamon banana as a palate cleanser.

IMG_4818.JPG

IMG_4822.JPG
IMG_4827.JPG

IMG_4821.JPG

They only charged $5 for DD as she was under 6. Age 6 plus are half adult price. She developed a tasted for the bacon wrapped filet migon and certainly got her money’s worth! I had taken ID for her as she is very tall and looks older than 5 but they didn’t ask for it.

We were too full for dessert which costs extra.

Adult meal is $46.99.

Our total using the coupon was only $65.22 plus tip ($85). Well worth it for a lovely meal.

Day 8 Total food/drink $107

Day 9

Breakfast

Chef Mickey’s, Contemporary resort

IMG_4834.JPG

We started the day with a 7am adr at Chef Mickey’s. We’d done the same time last year and enjoyed it. It isn’t busy or loud at that time and the food is lovely and fresh. Characters weren’t rushed either – we saw Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald and Goofy.

IMG_4838.JPG
IMG_4847.JPG
IMG_4855.JPG
IMG_4862.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG
IMG_4877.JPG
IMG_4891.JPG
IMG_4900.JPG

Before you are seated they take your picture with a statue of chef mickey but we didn’t buy it. They were happy to take a picture with our camera. They also do a thing every 30 mins or so where the characters dance around and you twirl your napkins. Will definitely go again.

IMG_4841.JPG
IMG_4843.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG

Lots of food to choose from including desserts!

IMG_4907.JPG
IMG_4908.JPG
IMG_4909.JPG
IMG_4918.JPG
IMG_4919.JPG
IMG_4916.JPG
IMG_4915.JPG
IMG_4911.JPG

$28.99 per adult and $15.99 per child

Cost $78.78 plus tip (total $92.09) – makes you appreciate free DDP!

Snack

We stopped at a 7/11 and got a massive soda which came in a big gulp cup and m&m cookie.

Approx $2.50
DSCF0734.JPG
DSCF0735.JPG

Lunch

We went back to five guys burgers near the Florida mall. DD tried a burger (she doesn’t like burgers) but still wasn’t a fan. I had the single patty little burger, DH the regular with two patties and some normal and Cajun fries which are lovely plus a couple of soda’s with free refills. Again we both picked which toppings we wanted.

22102011284.jpg

22102011287.jpg

22102011286.jpg

Cost $24.64

Snacks
IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5080.JPG
IMG_5090.JPG

We got a marshmallow toasting kit from the chuck wagon at the campfire singalong at Ft Wilderness which included 2 sticks.

$4.25

23102011290.jpg

Dinner

Perkins, Crossroads

We like Perkins but had only been for breakfast before. Had a coupon for a free meal for DH joining the email club.

I had the turkey dinner, DH a burger, DD kids pizza and 3 soda’s with refills. Food was tasty – cost $21 plus tip.

IMG_5118.JPG
IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG
IMG_5115.JPG

I checked with the server we were ok using the coupon and had it on the table like usual. Near the end of the meal he said can I borrow your coupon and took it to a table nearby and said – this lady know how to print out a coupon properly (man at table hadn’t done his properly - only printed half) DH thought this was hilarious.

Cost $27 inc tip

Total food/drink Day 9 $150.48 (our most expensive day due to Chef Mickey’s!)

Day 10

Breakfast

Mimi’s cafe, the Loop, Kissimmee

23102011291.jpg

23102011292.jpg

We tried Mimi’s cafe for the first time. It is a chain with a ‘european’ theme. There is also one by mall of millennia. I had a coupon for a free breakfast just for joining the email club.

IMG_5132.JPG
IMG_5130.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG

I had the eggs Benedict on crab cakes with fruit, DH blueberry brioche French toast and DD a kids breakfast. Our meals all came with juice and me and DH also had coffee. (DD put her fruit on my plate before the picture was taken)

It was super busy as it was a Sunday. I would go back, DH wasn’t too impressed thought it was trying too hard to be fancy. It does have some different items from the usual American breakfasts on the menu.

Cost $21.45 plus tip ($27)

Mimi’s send lots of coupons by email once you have joined including ones for free meals.

Lunch

Packed lunch. Again no problem taking a small cool bag into Seaworld with a few ham/cheese wraps at the bottom (wrapped and frozen) and individual snacks like biscuits and fruit.

I did see a French couple turned away but they had lots and lots of food in walmart bags at the top of their rucksack. Seaworld doesn’t allow straws eg those on kids juice drink cartons.

We bought a few soda refills in our refill mug – cost $1.06 plus tax.

Approx $3.50 drinks

Snacks

We had 2 ‘shamu’ brownie sundaes between the 3 of us which cost $4.99 each plus tax and include the plastic shamu bowl to keep. These are lovely and great value only a few cents more than a cone. After I ordered lots in line got them!

DSCF0739.JPG

Back in 2007 when DD was a toddler DH had got an ice cream while I minded DD in her buggy. He came out with a cone for me and a sundae for him and he has never lived it down. He says I asked for a cone but that was because I didn’t know they did sundaes! Everytime I saw the bowl in the kitchen cupboard I was reminded. So 4 years late I got my sundae and it was good!

$11.69 (2 sundaes and a soda refill)

Dinner

Flippers Pizzeria

We ate at Flippers again on Westwood blvd near Seaworld. We ate sitting outside. Flippers is a local pizza chain and does nice pizza – have been several times over the years and always had nice food. There is one at old town in Kissimmee aswell.

We had a large meat pizza, garlic bread with cheese and a Caesar salad. DD had pasta alfredo off the kids menu plus 3 soda’s.

DSCF0748.JPG

DSCF0753.JPG

DSCF0752.JPG

DSCF0745.JPG

Server wasn’t great rushing us and she charged an extra $1.99 for DD’s soda. The kids menu was $4.99 including a drink (didn’t specify which) and DD had soda there last week. To ring it up as a kids meal no drink and an extra soda without saying anything was a bit cheeky and surely one soda in a kids cup no refill is cheaper than milk or juice. I know it’s only $1.99 but it irritated me. DH tipped as we paid on his card and I can see from the receipt he wasn’t too impressed with the service either!

Cost $39.86 plus tip ($44.86)

Total food drink Day 10 $87.05

Day 11

Breakfast

Again we ate in the condo to save time. I tried one of the grapefruits we picked at Showcase of citrus in Clermont which was lovely and juicy.

IMG_5728.JPG

Lunch

Packed lunch. I had no problem taking a small cool bag in to Islands of Adventure. I’d made a few ham/cheese wraps and frozen them and had them wrapped at the bottom of the bag like a freezer block with a few small bags of snacks and crisps on top. I did think of getting some fries to go with lunch but the line was really long so didn’t bother.

Snacks

DH got a Frozen butterbeer from stall in harry potter land at Islands of Adventure.

DSCF0758.JPG

We also used the Universal refill mug several times in Universal and Islands of Adventure – refills are 79c plus tax

Approx $15

Ben and jerrys, New York area of Universal studios

IMG_5822.JPG

We had a mini vermonster ice cream sundae $15.97

IMG_5828.JPG

IMG_5830.JPG

There was nothing mini about this! 4 scoops of ice cream, 3 toppings, cream, caramel and chocolate sauce in a plastic bucket you keep. This was massive (good but sickly!)

Total snacks $30.97

Dinner

Fuddruckers

We tried Fuddruckers at Crossroads on the 535 for the first time at DH’s request. There is another at festival bay mall but Crossroads was nearer to us.

DSCF0831.JPG

He had a 2lb burger with fries, me a 1/3 lb one with fries and DD a hot dog and fries plus soda to drink (free refills)

DSCF0818.JPG

DSCF0819.JPG

The fries are like potato wedges. There is also a toppings bar so you can add anything you like to the burger.

The burgers were cooked to order and delivered to the table then you help yourself to toppings and drink refills. Place was very clean and food hot and tasty.

DSCF0823.JPG

DSCF0827.JPG

DSCF0824.JPG

DH’s was like something off man v food but he did finish it!

DSCF0822.JPG

DSCF0825.JPG

DSCF0826.JPG

DSCF0828.JPG

DSCF0829.JPG

I had a coupon for joining the email club – saved $7

Cost $23.89 plus tip ($27) - I recall tipping about 10% here as someone just dropped the burgers off – I got refills, sauces etc.

Total food /drink Day 11 $57.97

Day 12

Breakfast

Bob Evans

We ate at Bob Evans at the jnc of I4/27. It is next door to the Perkins we ate at on Day 3. We stopped here as it is enroute to Busch gardens.

DSCF0837.JPG

DSCF0839.JPG

Bob Evans is a diner chain like Perkins or Dennys.

I had a coupon for a free breakfast for joining the email club.

Myself and DH had the same breakfast but there were so many options we ended up with totally different things – how do you want your eggs?, hashbrown or potatoes? bacon or sausage? DH said sausage – links or pattys?

DSCF0843.JPG

DSCF0849.JPG

DSCF0846.JPG

DSCF0845.JPG

DSCF0844.JPG

The blueberry French toast DH ordered arrived cold so they swapped to plain no problem. I had a crepe with blueberry with mine.

DSCF0842.JPG

You know you have acclimatised when it seems normal to get pudding with breakfast!

DD had a pancake kids meal which was huge – 5 pancakes. As usual coffee for us and juice for DD.

DSCF0841.JPG

$17.81 plus tip ($23)

Lunch

Packed lunch. Again no problems taking our small cool bag into busch gardens with a few ham/cheese wraps frozen at the bottom and individual snacks. Think Busch is also a no straws park due to animals like Seaworld but we just took frozen water bottles and our Seaworld refill mug.

IMG_6013.JPG
IMG_6015.JPG

Snacks

We used our Seaworld soda refill mug several times today at Busch gardens – refills are $1.06 inc tax for pepsi products.

Approx $3

Dinner

Mannys chophouse, Haines City

I called as we left Busch gardens to get on the wait list. We arrived at 6.20pm and waited maybe 10 mins to be seated. It was busier than last week but we had eaten earlier then.

We started with the complimentary yeast rolls and honey butter and the salad which is very nice.

IMG_6178.JPG
IMG_6180.JPG

I had 10oz sirloin and garlic mash, DH steak and bbq chicken and DD grilled cheese and fries. We all had soda to drink.

IMG_6181.JPG
IMG_6183.JPG

Food was tasty again. The only thing I wasn’t keen on was the sauce on the mash – it didn’t have that last week.

As it was a Monday DD’s food was free (kids eat free Mon and Tues no card/coupon needed)

The receipt also advertised if you join the email club you can have a free appetiser.

$38.55 plus tip ($45)

Total food/drink Day 12 $7​

Day 13

Breakfast

We had a quick stop for coffee and doughnuts at Dunkin doughnuts on International Drive near the resort. Ok but not a patch on krispy kreme!

DSCF0876.JPG

They had an offer on the reciept for a free doughnut on your next visit – worth checking receipts a few places seem to do this.

$6.80

Snacks

1 soda refill at seaworld

DSCF0932.JPG

$1.06

Lunch

Chick – fil – A

We went to chick fil a on the 535 not far from the resort. It is a fast food chain which has a playarea bit like Mcdonalds. Interesting fact - It doesn’t open Sundays.

DSCF0940.JPG

DSCF0942.JPG

We had chicken in various forms – DD had nuggets, DH a spicy sandwich, me a sandwich and coleslaw. The fries are good – waffle fries. Food was fine and DD enjoyed the play area.

$16.29

Drinks/snacks

Cap n Jack Margarita Bar DTD

26102011301.jpg
26102011304.jpg

I had a frozen pina colada, DH a beer and DD a coke at a meet up of some of us from a Disney forum.

$17

Goofy’s candy Co

DH took DD for sweets whilst I was talking and managed to spend a fortune (DD was happy though!)

S16.97

Dinner

The plan had been to eat at House of Blues but it was late and DD had already sat patiently whilst we talked at the DIS meet so DH chose Earl of Sandwich which was a good call.

IMG_6263.JPG

IMG_6248.JPG

We had a full montagu sandwich, original 1762 sandwich, kids ham sandwich and one cake. One Soda (free refills) and a coffee.

IMG_6212.JPG

IMG_6218.JPG

IMG_6216.JPG

IMG_6213.JPG

I remembered to show our AA card (yellow UK one) and saved 15% - $3.49

We ate in the seating area outside. The ham sandwich is not on the kids menu but they will always make one if you ask – by this stage of the holiday DD often wants normal food like a ham sandwich which are quite hard to find – usual kids option seems to be peanut butter and jelly.

Sandwiches were good as usual – they are toasted and filling.

Total $21.04

Total food/drink Day 13 $79.16

Day 14

Breakfast

We had breakfast on the condo balcony which was a nice relaxing start to our last full day in Florida.

Lunch

IMG_6312.JPG

IMG_6305.JPG

We had an early lunch at House of Blues at DTD, Westside. We had eaten here in 2010 using a restaurant.com coupon and i’d got another one for this trip.

IMG_6295.JPG

I paid $2 for a $25 discount coupon. HOB isn’t on restaurant.com anymore – for 2012 it is accepting the dining plan.

It was very quiet as we ate early – 11.30 ish.

Food was ok but pricey for what we had. I had a fish sandwich and fries, DH a bbq burger and sweet potato fries and DD a kids pizza and soda to drink. DD disliked the kids pizza which was a flatbread type.

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6303.JPG

IMG_6302.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

Cost $32.81 plus $2 for coupon inc tip – meal should have been $57.81 but we saved $25 with restaurant.com coupon.

Total $34.81

Snacks

Ghiradelli, DTD

I had a hot fudge sundae with 2 scoops of icecream, fudge sauce, nuts, cream and a cherry – the menu said vanilla ice cream but I chose strawberry and rocky road with no problem. $8.50

IMG_6438.JPG

DH had a mint bliss sundae. $8.95 DD shared with both of us. We also had a coke as it was hot.

IMG_6439.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG

They were good but very rich. We ate inside at a little table that was decorated like a square of ghiradelli chocolate.

$22.10

Aloha Isle, MK

Dole whip float ($4.49) and a coke (2.89)

IMG_6930.JPG

$7.86 inc tax

Sweets at MNSSHP

We also snacked on some of the sweets we got at the Halloween party. They were alot better than what we got in 2010 – branded sweets like mini bags of m&m’s and skittles etc.

IMG_6723.JPG

IMG_6691.JPG

Free (well inc in ticket price!)

Photo shows all the sweets we came back with – these were from 1 trip to MNSSHP and 2 visits to Seaworld’s Halloween spooktacular. We ended up taking them to work as there were far too many.

DSCF0988.JPG

I also took bottled water and some snacks for DD into MK for the Halloween party – Disney are fine with this.

Dinner

Cosmic rays, MK

We just grabbed a quick meal in cosmic rays before the party started. We shared 2 adult chicken nuggets and fries and 1 large soda. Food was hot and tasty, no complaints. We ate listening to sonny eclipse.

IMG_6678.JPG

$21.05

Total food/drink Day 14 $8

Day 15

Breakfast

We were leaving today. We started with a breakfast of some of the food we had left. DD had Pringles and I had ben and jerry’s boston cream pie ice cream which I highly recommend!

28102011311.jpg

Lunch

DSCF0947.JPG

We tried Logan’s roadhouse at the Loop, Kissimmee for the first time. We had a coupon emailed to us for a free meal for Halloween.

Logan’s gives you peanuts to shell and eat and you throw the shells on the floor. I’d not told DH this so I saw his face when we walked in but it was a nice place and the food was tasty.

DSCF0948.JPG

28102011312.jpg

DSCF0949.JPG

DSCF0955.JPG

DSCF0957.JPG

DSCF0956.JPG

DSCF0953.JPG

DSCF0954.JPG

I had ½ rack ribs and a gorgeous baked potato with salad, DH had steak and chicken and their signature onions in beer with fries, DD kids meal of chicken strips and fries – plus soda to drink.

Cost $31 inc tip

Dinner

We ate at the airport foodcourt. DH had a wendys burger/fries – DD had nuggets and me a qdoba burrito plus soda to drink.

DSCF0967.JPG

DSCF0965.JPG

DSCF0970.JPG

DSCF0969.JPG

Approx $20

Total Day 15 $51

Food - the results!

What did we spend?

Day 1 $75

Day 2 $123.02

Day 3 $57.67

Day 4 $78

Day 5 $86.45

Day 6 $106.71

Day 7 $66.17

Day 8 $107

Day 9 $150.48

Day 10 $87.05

Day 11 $57.97

Day 12 $71

Day 13 $79.16

Day 14 $85.82

Day 15 $51

Total $1282.50

$1282.5 divided by 15 = $85.50 a day (£55)

So yes under $100!!!

That total is for all food and drink we bought out and about including snacks, drinks and tips.

We also shopped at walmart and publix for supplies like bottled water, food for the packed lunches, snacks, beer etc.

I can’t just add the supermarket receipts to the total as we also buy a lot of stuff to bring home like medicines, sweets as gifts, toys - you name it we buy it!

I’d estimate we spent about $100-$150 over the holiday on supermarket food/drink – so add approx $10 a day

= $95 a day (£61) total on all food/drink/tips/alcohol.

So under $100 a day all in.

THE END

Thanks for reading. Hope the info can help people planning their trips.

Next trip for us will be October 2012 – back at Disney Old Key West with the dining plan again.

So glad you finished these. We are definitely going to try some of the places you ate at when we go in August. The trouble we have now is that Daniel likes to order off the adult menu. Hopefully I can persuade him to share meals with me though, in order to keep the costs down. I'd much rather share anyway - it will mean I have room for dessert then ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter