Digital Scrapping FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do shutterfly 8x8 books as well and I've done 3, and this is what I've learned.

Although I create in 12x12, I prefer the smaller size. When you are ready to do your album, or if you ready each page as you make them... resize your scrapbook page to 7.75x7.75, yes it's smaller then the 8x8. Trust me on this one!

Also! ... If you have "important" things near edges... like text or a major part of a picture, or just a pretty embellishment, but especially that TEXT! MOVE it! Bring it in a bit, and if the page will be on the binding side, move it a little bit more!

Be prepared to have your uploading of pages take a LONG time. Shutterfly is not fast and can get annoying, but the book you get will be worth it. I mostly mention this because if your coupon expires tonight, you better get moving quickly! It will take a few hours.

And since I didn't mention it... when you are done resizing and moving things inward, save it as a full res .jpg. I keep a separate folder called "shutterfly" in each subdirectory, with the images that are ready for shutterfly.

Once I am truely "DONE" with an album, I keep all my files, .psd/.psp, and a 600x600 jpg and the shutterfly jpg. I put them all on a CD or DVD for storage. If I need the hard drive space, I will delete the .psd/.psp files off of my computer, leaving every 600x600 jpg, and the corresponding text file with credits, in case I post it at a later date somewhere. I also delete the shutterfly images off the hard drive.

HTH!
Fran

THANK YOU FRAN! Exactly what I wanted to know!
One follow-up question: if I save the psd/psp file onto a CD/DVD and delete it from my computer, and then I notice a problem on a LO, could I download the psp/psp from the cd/dvd and edit it? Let's say I print a book, and then a relative wants just one of the LOs for themselves but there is a spelling problem; could I still edit from the psp file off the disk? (I know this is more of a computer question and not a scrap book question -- sorry; for someone who digitally scraps, I am not very computer saavy!)

Good to know that Shutterfly is a slow program; luckily, I don't have a coupon (yet): I'll need to do a search for that.

Thanks again!

Suzi, yes, as long as you save the PSD in PSD format you can download it and fix it or change it. I do it with my PSP files all the time. (amazing you can check a billion times and still find a mistake later!) And I always, always, always burn my full size jpgs to DVD, make sure they work on a different computer before I delete them from my hard drive. Even if I have them printed. I'm a big believer in multiple back ups and preservation.

I am having issues printing.

First question, if my printer prints 360 dpi is that how I should save my file? (The tutorial I used said 300x300).

Katie at Just So Scrappy has Mickey and Minnie themed kits.

They are usually $1.50 each, but are 50% off until the end of today.

-Kay

I am having issues printing.

First question, if my printer prints 360 dpi is that how I should save my file? (The tutorial I used said 300x300).
What do you mean 300x300? Pixels and dpi are not the same thing. You should be saving a 300dpi not 300x300 pixels.
When printing on a home printer, turn color correction off and print at 300dpi. Make sure you don't have color profiles in you program and your printer fighting each other. Turn one or the other off. Make sure you have the right kind of paper selected, it makes a huge difference. Honestly? It's cheaper and easier to have your stuff printed. When sending mine to be done they are just about perfect. At home (w/fairly nice printers) I waste more paper and ink trying to get it right it's just not worth it.

I have the Hallmark scrapbook studio deluxe and I've found it super easy to use. The only problem is I can't figure out how to upload the pages to a place that prints....(I think I tried walmart at an 8x10 size). It seems that the websites don't recognize the type of file that it is saved in. I looked and it doesn't appear that I can save it as a jpg file. Can someone help me??? It's too early in this process to give us!!!!

I have the Hallmark scrapbook studio deluxe and I've found it super easy to use. The only problem is I can't figure out how to upload the pages to a place that prints....(I think I tried walmart at an 8x10 size). It seems that the websites don't recognize the type of file that it is saved in. I looked and it doesn't appear that I can save it as a jpg file. Can someone help me??? It's too early in this process to give us!!!!

places that print typically require the file to be in jpeg. I am not familiar with the Hallmark scrapbook studio deluxe -- is there is an on-line support center that can help you figure out how to save as jpeg? I am sorry that I can't be better help -- but you are right: don't give up yet!

Has anyone ever used Scrapbook Secrets by Scrap Girls or perhaps the classes offered by GoDigitalScrapbooking? Or perhaps there is something else to recommend?

I think I need to go back and learn some basics rather than continuing in this inefficient manner that I am doing now.

Hello everyone and Happy New Year. I am fairly new to digital. I really like working with templates but would like to learn how to change them up. For example I want to use this template but flip it so that template is down at the bottom of the page going horizontal. If possible, I need detailed instructions, takes me a little while to catch on. Thanks for helping out! Oh and here is the template I wanted to use.http://scrapmatters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1389

Sheri, what program do you use? I think all you have to do is get in your program and hit the little arrow that turns things like you would for a picture. Know what I mean? Like if you had a picture that is supposed to be portrait but it's landscape you'd just hit the arrow to make it right. Same to turn your template. If for some reason it will only do one layer at a time them just do each layer.

Sheri, what program do you use? I think all you have to do is get in your program and hit the little arrow that turns things like you would for a picture. Know what I mean? Like if you had a picture that is supposed to be portrait but it's landscape you'd just hit the arrow to make it right. Same to turn your template. If for some reason it will only do one layer at a time them just do each layer.

Thanks Wen, I think I did it! BTW, I am currently learning and using PSE6. I actually just went up to the edit button and rotated until I got what I wanted
I am working on my scraplift for the digi-challenge this week. I'm lifting Christy this time with this template. Thanks again, for your help! :goodvibes

Sheri
I use PSE6 and here's how a rotate:
go to "image" and click it (at the top next to "edit")
under the drop-down menu, go to "rotate"
here you will find various choices, such as turning the entire LO vs turning only the selected layers; you can turn them 90 or 180 degrees or just flip them horizontally or vertically.

On that particular template, you could just flip the entire thing 90 degrees to the right. If you want to just flip a couple layers, then hold down the control button and click on the layers you want to flip; then go to "image", then "rotate" and then choose which direction.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if I need to clarify; I tend to get wordy :)

Was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm about to pull my hair out & cry. Got PSE 7.0 for Xmas. Looked at a few tutorials and finally got to learn and create a scrap page with building layers. On to templates....I have downloaded 2-3 templates and also a year in review quickpage (I think it is). I just can't figure these out. I even went out and bought a PSE 7 for Dummies today and STILL don't get it! Maybe Iam maxed out from Xmas, but I am more of a hands on learner. Please help me :o(

Was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm about to pull my hair out & cry. Got PSE 7.0 for Xmas. Looked at a few tutorials and finally got to learn and create a scrap page with building layers. On to templates....I have downloaded 2-3 templates and also a year in review quickpage (I think it is). I just can't figure these out. I even went out and bought a PSE 7 for Dummies today and STILL don't get it! Maybe Iam maxed out from Xmas, but I am more of a hands on learner. Please help me :o(

Misty Cato's blog has some great tutorials (step-by-step with pictures) Here is the link for using templates in PSE
http://mistycatodesigns.blogspot.com/2007/03/layered-template-tutorial.html

Dude, I tried to learn how to digi scrap in PSE. Then I gave up and bought SBC+. Misty's tutorials are great and I did manage to use a template in PSE once, but I still hated it and wanted to pull my hair out! Sorry I'm not more encouraging, but I wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one who has struggled with PSE and templates!

:goodvibes Thanks! I've looked at so many tutorials my head is spinning. :scared: :confused3 I'll check out that site tomorrow. Building from kits and other things is easier. It's the cute templates and layers and this layer above that layer in order to this layer...:rotfl: Can't we all just put it on one layer? Phew!!! I think Physics was easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter