Digital Member Cards

I have a few thoughts rolling around right now that I'd like to throw out there...

First, agree that we may soon see a distinction between "owners" (resale, or less than 150 point direct) and "members" (direct with over 150 points). Until now, we have seen DVC "grandfather" everyone when changes were made. For example, I own 100 resale points bought in 2008 which are completely unrestricted and treated as direct in all regards. I also own 50 points that I bought direct at another resort in 2011. *IF* DVC were to implement a "member" vs "owner" system, do you think they would opt to remove the grandfathered "permissions" and make them compliant under the new system? It seems like it would be easy to do, but would it be legal under the POS? I would then change from "member" to "owner" status because my resale points are, well, resale, and I do not own the minimum of 150 direct points. I would NOT be happy if this were to happen (naturally) because this was NOT the system that was sold to me when I purchased, but it was "subject to change" so I agreed to it.
So that makes me wonder...are more/different/better benefits on the horizon? Or are they planning to further restrict and take away more from the resale buyers??

Quoting myself here and I found this interesting quote on the member website....

"To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective October 19, 2020, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 125 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. "

A few additional thoughts here:
1) Wasn't the "Blue Card" minimum 150 points?? If so, when did it change to 125?
2) If I am reading this correctly, this means that I (and a lot of other members) will no longer qualify for discounts, Membership Magic, or other exclusive "member extras" because I do not own 125 direct points.

By linking the membership to the MDE account, they can "see" that I bought resale and that I only own 50 direct points so based on the bolded statement, I would imagine that I may see my access to discounts and membership extras go away. On the other hand, they can also see the date that I became a member based on my resale purchase and that may "grandfather" my membership so that may be the route they choose to take. Right now, I would say it's 50/50....I have not been impressed with Disney's customer service lately.

EDIT: I was just browsing around and found this on the Galactic Starcruiser information from the Member Website....
" Effective June 3, 2021, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 150 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. "
So that answers my question...it went up from 125 to 150 in June of 2021:thumbsup2

Last edited:
Quoting myself here and I found this interesting quote on the member website....

"To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective October 19, 2020, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 125 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. "

A few additional thoughts here:
1) Wasn't the "Blue Card" minimum 150 points?? If so, when did it change to 125?
2) If I am reading this correctly, this means that I (and a lot of other members) will no longer qualify for discounts, Membership Magic, or other exclusive "member extras" because I do not own 125 direct points.

By linking the membership to the MDE account, they can "see" that I bought resale and that I only own 50 direct points so based on the bolded statement, I would imagine that I may see my access to discounts and membership extras go away. On the other hand, they can also see the date that I became a member based on my resale purchase and that may "grandfather" my membership so that may be the route they choose to take. Right now, I would say it's 50/50....I have not been impressed with Disney's customer service lately.
That's the same wording they always use for qualifying for membership extras. Oct 19 is just the date it went from 100 to 125. They've always grandfathered in benefits though.

That's the same wording they always use for qualifying for membership extras. Oct 19 is just the date it went from 100 to 125. They've always grandfathered in benefits though.
Of course, since June it's read:
Effective June 3, 2021, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 150 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc.

But, you're right that anyone who bought the required minimum direct points for Member Benefits at the time of purchase is grandfathered in at whatever minimum that was, although that could change because all benefits are at Disney’s discretion.

Last edited:
judt asking ,can they legally not grandfather pepole in .if at a time it was 25 to be a member and i bought 25 directly from Disney just to be a member and they changed it would it not be a bait and switch thing?

judt asking ,can they legally not grandfather pepole in .if at a time it was 25 to be a member and i bought 25 directly from Disney just to be a member and they changed it would it not be a bait and switch thing?
Correct, they can’t do that. Once you are blue card that can’t change.

Correct, they can’t do that. Once you are blue card that can’t change.
Unless you sell those points that originally qualified you for the Blue Card. If, in the hypothetical given, you were to sell those original 25 direct points that got you the blue card, even if you own 3,000 points, if only 50 or 100 of them are direct, you wouldn’t qualify for benefits today. Of course, Disney can always change that too.

Last edited:

For membership perks, they can change the rules any time. There was something in the rules that mentioned up to 3 years. That could mean you have to get that.

So, grandfathering in for these is not guaranteed as they are incidental benefits and don’t need to be even offered.

Since implementation of the membership perks, they have always done it. It doesn’t seem they would change, but they can.

ETA: IMO I don’t see them even trying because it does not help them for sales to have that happen.

Last edited:
You're gonna have a rough time with that these days.

Haha....I have a rough time and I have a smart phone. I can never see my phone in the sun. I don't have a Disney app on it and no intention of adding one. Good thing I'm not doing a trip soon. I do have a Samsung S10+, not the latest and greatest but it does most of what I need, rings, has the weather and time on it, and will take pictures.

I'm not about to start trying to manage rides, order food or be forced to do anything else Disney thinks are improvements. I'm already fed up with their website. A year ago I was waiting to be able to get back. Now I could really care less.

For membership perks, they can change the rules any time. There was something in the rules that mentioned up to 3 years. That could mean you have to get that.

So, grandfathering in for these is not guaranteed as they are incidental benefits and don’t need to be even offered.

Since implementation of the membership perks, they have always done it. It doesn’t seem they would change, but they can.

ETA: IMO I don’t see them even trying because it does not help them for sales to have that happen.
Right, they can always change the perks given for blue card members. But they can't take away the blue card membership, correct? The blue card could be moot if they take away all the benefits, but I was told that once you are a blue card member that it can't be taken away as long as you own that contract.

Right, they can always change the perks given for blue card members. But they can't take away the blue card membership, correct? The blue card could be moot if they take away all the benefits, but I was told that once you are a blue card member that it can't be taken away as long as you own that contract.

Yes, they don’t have to give anyone a blue card. Membership perks are incidental benefits that don’t need to exist.

So, as long as you own a contract that makes you eligible if they do exist you get them and it’s true it goes with that specific contract.

But there is nothing in the rules that says the minimum can’t change for benefits. There is nothing that I see that requires them to grandfather people.

There used to be language..I’ll see if it is still there that mentioned you had to be given them for up to 3 years as long as they are offered, but beyond that, nothing requires it that I can see.

Of course, what they could do is simply make the minimum needed for AP and discounts higher while grandfathering others for things like special events like firework viewing.

Again, I don’t think they would ever do it but it was asked if we are guaranteed it and we are not.

They have done grandfathering when they created and raised minimum requirements but there was nothing that required it. And they could change that and make everyone have to own whatever their minimum direct requirement is for benefits. However I completely doubt they would do that and those who have been grandfathered in for benefits will continue to be as long as they continue to own the contracts that qualified them.

Yes, they don’t have to give anyone a blue card. Membership perks are incidental benefits that don’t need to exist.

So, as long as you own a contract that makes you eligible if they do exist you get them and it’s true it goes with that specific contract.

But there is nothing in the rules that says the minimum can’t change for benefits. There is nothing that I see that requires them to grandfather people.

There used to be language..I’ll see if it is still there that mentioned you had to be given them for up to 3 years as long as they are offered, but beyond that, nothing requires it that I can see.

Of course, what they could do is simply make the minimum needed for AP and discounts higher while grandfathering others for things like special events like firework viewing.

Again, I don’t think they would ever do it but it was asked if we are guaranteed it and we are not.
Wow. I would be furious if I spent another $20k to buy direct in order to get the blue card and then down the road the point minimum was increased and I lost those benefits because I wasn’t grandfathered in.

Wow. I would be furious if I spent another $20k to buy direct in order to get the blue card and then down the road the point minimum was increased and I lost those benefits because I wasn’t grandfathered in.

It is why the advice is to never buy for the perks Consider them extras but only thing we are every guaranteed is our home resort.

Think about those who bought 500+ points resale back before there were any restrictions at all and all memberships were treated the same…imagine how they would feel if they were no longer grandfathered! Even though DVC could do it, I don’t think they would. It would cause such an uproar. Now, I could see them trying to do it and then offering a fee to make your points qualify for benefits. That would be a “par for the course” money grab that would not surprise me at all.

Actually, my thought is that those that are not eligible for membership extras will no longer be even noted as DVC. They really don't need a card. I doubt pool hopping comes back and TOTWL could just become something that is eligible just to those with DVC extras or for any guests staying on points...regardless if they are renters or owners.

So, it will be interesting to see moving forward how it is coded.
Do you really think they won’t have membership noted at turnstiles?? That’s just sad, I think.

I thought it was sad when they started saying that new resale buyers who didn't have a qualifying membership couldn't even book the member cruise. Basically it was saying they weren't actually members in the eyes of DVC. :sad2:
I have been on many DVC Member Cruises. So many people here talk against them, but you are right. That was the first attempt to deny the title “Member” to people who didn’t fit the current definition. I was dumbfounded by that decision. As I said, I really enjoy those very special cruises. Still, for how many years were you a Member because you owned DVC points. On who’s watch was the beginning of the discrimination?

I have been on many DVC Member Cruises. So many people here talk against them, but you are right. That was the first attempt to deny the title “Member” to people who didn’t fit the current definition. I was dumbfounded by that decision. As I said, I really enjoy those very special cruises. Still, for how many years were you a Member because you owned DVC points. On who’s watch was the beginning of the discrimination?
I don’t remember who was VP in 2011, when the first restrictions were placed (resale points couldn’t book cruises or other things I can never remember). Ken Potrock was VP in 2016 when the actual blue cards were issued and blue card/white card came to be labels. I remember talking to him after the condo association meeting that year and being unhappy about his differentiating between owners that way.

Last edited:
I don’t remember remember who was VP in 2011, when the first restrictions were placed (resale points couldn’t book cruises or other things I can never remember). Ken Potrock was VP in 2016 when the actual blue cards were issued and blue card/white card came to be labels. I remember talking to him after the condo association meeting that year and being unhappy about his differentiating between owners that way.

The program initiated under Lewis even though for many years at the annual meeting he spoke of giving additional benefits in tiers - rewarding the larger point owners but not about removing things for the smallest point owners or resale purchasers. He was gone later in the year of course due to certain accounting practices caught by the state of Hawaii.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter