Digital Member Cards

So now I need to get a smart phone and carry it with me all the time to get my 'perks'? How much are they saving by not having the card??? 10 cents?
Postage to members worldwide is probably a greater cost than the cards themselves but yeah, still not a high cost. Disney is pushing everything they can over to the app. Could this be a way to make it easier on CM's to know who is entitled to discounts? Something scannable? Or just a savings from actually having to send out cards. I'm ok with things being digital but there is still something nice about having a physical member card.

I agree....scan the MB and ask for ID. It should be able to tell the difference between blue and white card and no need to use the app.

Actually, my thought is that those that are not eligible for membership extras will no longer be even noted as DVC. They really don't need a card. I doubt pool hopping comes back and TOTWL could just become something that is eligible just to those with DVC extras or for any guests staying on points...regardless if they are renters or owners.

So, it will be interesting to see moving forward how it is coded.

Maybe it’s me but it seems they removed that Facebook post? Were too many people asking if this was the extent of member benefits? It didn’t take long 😆

Maybe it’s me but it seems they removed that Facebook post? Were too many people asking if this was the extent of member benefits? It didn’t take long 😆
It does appear to be gone. And yes, I did see some of those types of responses lol

So now I need to get a smart phone and carry it with me all the time to get my 'perks'? How much are they saving by not having the card??? 10 cents?

I mean, you pretty much have to have your smart phone with you at all times now anyway to do anything at Disney. But no, you could probably print off the digital one and carry that with you instead if having the digital one. 85% of americans have a smartphone anyway, and according to statistica that correlates to income. If your income is below that threshold, you probably don't own DVC.

Actually, my thought is that those that are not eligible for membership extras will no longer be even noted as DVC. They really don't need a card. I doubt pool hopping comes back and TOTWL could just become something that is eligible just to those with DVC extras or for any guests staying on points...regardless if they are renters or owners.

Reading through the FAQ for the new digital cards there is no mention at all of white card/resale members so this could actually be the way they are going.

I never took advantage of pool hopping since we bought in 2020. It sounded so restrictive that it was hardly worth having.

Perhaps it’s possible they have no intention to reopen TOTWL as DVC lounge? Maybe that money can be spent (pocketed) elsewhere and that space can be turned into a regularly operating restaurant/lounge- no membership required. There’s no membership required to watch the fireworks at Topolinos.

Is there anything contractually arguable that any DVC member is entitled to a card in some fashion? Couldn’t they just make having a card (even digital) a membership extra. That would “fix” the white card sorcerer AP discount if there was no card to present.

I never took advantage of pool hopping since we bought in 2020. It sounded so restrictive that it was hardly worth having.

Perhaps it’s possible they have no intention to reopen TOTWL as DVC lounge? Maybe that money can be spent (pocketed) elsewhere and that space can be turned into a regularly operating restaurant/lounge- no membership required. There’s no membership required to watch the fireworks at Topolinos.

Is there anything contractually arguable that any DVC member is entitled to a card in some fashion? Couldn’t they just make having a card (even digital) a membership extra. That would “fix” the white card sorcerer AP discount if there was no card to present.

Nothing I have ever read entitles someone to a membership card. In terms of TOWTL, it is a commercial unit so what WDW decides to do with it is up to them. They can make it open to all, they can make it only available for special paid events, or they can choose to allow DVC owners...all or some...to have access to it.

The ideal situation...assuming DVD wants to try to keep the perks of membership magic to just those eligible...is to create a card only for those that are. This way, there is no inconsistent application depending on which CM you get.

It does make me wonder if that is one of the reasons that white card owners continue to get the Sorcerer Pass...maybe come January 1st, it won't be an issue any longer?

Nothing I have ever read entitles someone to a membership card. In terms of TOWTL, it is a commercial unit so what WDW decides to do with it is up to them. They can make it open to all, they can make it only available for special paid events, or they can choose to allow DVC owners...all or some...to have access to it.

The ideal situation...assuming DVD wants to try to keep the perks of membership magic to just those eligible...is to create a card only for those that are. This way, there is no inconsistent application depending on which CM you get.

It does make me wonder if that is one of the reasons that white card owners continue to get the Sorcerer Pass...maybe come January 1st, it won't be an issue any longer?
That seems entirely possible. I was reading the FAQs about Membership Cards on the member website, and the way they were written definitely made me think there may be two explicitly defined categories coming - DVC Members (currently blue card), who are eligible for benefits, and DVC Owners, who are not. The FAQs don't state that, it's just the feeling I get when I read them, so of course I might be inferring too much.

That seems entirely possible. I was reading the FAQs about Membership Cards on the member website, and the way they were written definitely made me think there may be two explicitly defined categories coming - DVC Members (currently blue card), who are eligible for benefits, and DVC Owners, who are not. The FAQs don't state that, it's just the feeling I get when I read them, so of course I might be inferring too much.
On the next edition of "The DVC Show"...

I think part of it is productivity and employee time checking cards. If the system automatically gives the server or cashier less to do per transaction. If you can shave off 30 to sixty seconds per transaction, that is more money for Disney.

I think part of it is productivity and employee time checking cards. If the system automatically gives the server or cashier less to do per transaction. If you can shave off 30 to sixty seconds per transaction, that is more money for Disney.

They could do that with a physical card too. They get to design the card and put whatever they want on it. Including a barcode with the member number. Then the system could check that automatically for eligibility.

They've posted it again. We'll see how long it lasts this time lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter